Students Have No Moral Responsibility to Pay Back Federal Student Loans

• 184 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Chrypt22"] Example: there is a very high demand for Database programmers / Administrators so much so that companies are in sourcing people TO the US from OTHER countries because there isn't enough graduates to fill the jobs.  Jagged3dge

That isn't exactly true.  Companies would actually rather hire people to come from outside the U.S. so that they can pay them less.  American employees are a lot more expensive.  

My Dad, for example, needed a programmer for his new website.  He's paying a guy over in India to do the job, because the American programmer is charging $30/hr while the guy in India is charging half of that.

And in doing so he's removing money from the local economy. That guy in India will spend his money in india, where as if your Dad had paid someone local to do it, that local person could then go to a local store and pass on the money to some other local guy. Keeping the money within the area. Less locals with money = less business for local stores.
Chrypt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#152 Chrypt22
Member since 2005 • 1387 Posts

[QUOTE="Chrypt22"] Example: there is a very high demand for Database programmers / Administrators so much so that companies are in sourcing people TO the US from OTHER countries because there isn't enough graduates to fill the jobs.  Jagged3dge

That isn't exactly true.  Companies would actually rather hire people to come from outside the U.S. so that they can pay them less.  American employees are a lot more expensive.  

My Dad, for example, needed a programmer for his new website.  He's paying a guy over in India to do the job, because the American programmer is charging $30/hr while the guy in India is charging half of that.

I get what your saying about outsourcing, and that is certainly true to a degree.  What I am saying is a company like Capital One for example... they will literally hire someone from X country, pay for their visa to live here in the US, just so they can have a person here to fill a perminant job.  Its not that they are getting paid less, its just the company cannot find qualified people in the area to fill the need.  

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

What your dad is doing should be illegal, because it is not in the best interest of the very country which allows him to be a capitalist businessman. Shame.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]

[QUOTE="Chrypt22"] Example: there is a very high demand for Database programmers / Administrators so much so that companies are in sourcing people TO the US from OTHER countries because there isn't enough graduates to fill the jobs.  BluRayHiDef

What your dad is doing should be illegal, because it is not in the best interest of the very country which allows him to be a capitalist businessman. Shame.

It's entirely legal. And it's widespread. Get used to it, it's capitalism. It's called outsourcing work to dramatically increase profitability.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#156 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts

You dad is part of the problem then.....bet he's not taking half his pay.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]

[QUOTE="Chrypt22"] Example: there is a very high demand for Database programmers / Administrators so much so that companies are in sourcing people TO the US from OTHER countries because there isn't enough graduates to fill the jobs.  LJS9502_basic

It's capitalism. Profitability is the bottom line, unless you want to start paying 500 dollars for a pair of cheap shoes, work is going to be outsourced. Welcome to the world.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]

chrisrooR

It's capitalism. Profitability is the bottom line, unless you want to start paying 500 dollars for a pair of cheap shoes, work is going to be outsourced. Welcome to the world.

Hyperbole much? Prior to removing tariffs and outsourcing.....I don't think anyone paid $500 for shoes.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Yeeeaaaaa...no. If you take out student loans you should probably repay them.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You dad is part of the problem then.....bet he's not taking half his pay.

Hyperbole much? Prior to removing tariffs and outsourcing.....I don't think anyone paid $500 for shoes.

haha when, in the 1920's? Get real. Paying workers 7-9 dollars an hour for the same factory jobs that cost the company 10-20 cents per hour in other countries would inflate the price of goods by a ridiculous margin.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"] It's capitalism. Profitability is the bottom line, unless you want to start paying 500 dollars for a pair of cheap shoes, work is going to be outsourced. Welcome to the world.

haha when, in the 1920's? Get real. Paying workers 7-9 dollars an hour for the same factory jobs that cost the company 10-20 cents per hour in other countries would inflate the price of goods by a ridiculous margin.

I guess the concept of supply and demand is foreign to you.....
kiteinthesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#162 kiteinthesky
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Hyperbole much? Prior to removing tariffs and outsourcing.....I don't think anyone paid $500 for shoes.

The issue is not an understanding of how capitalism works but the morality of outsourcing. Outsourcing a job to India where a worker will accept half as much pay as an American is very commonly done and is good business sense. This is truth. But the others are arguing from an ethical standpoint based on the argument that outsourcing is causing Americans to not be able to find work in their fields or survive, therefore one must hire as many Americans as possible to keep that from happening. And it is very unethical.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="kiteinthesky"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"] haha when, in the 1920's? Get real. Paying workers 7-9 dollars an hour for the same factory jobs that cost the company 10-20 cents per hour in other countries would inflate the price of goods by a ridiculous margin.

The issue is not an understanding of how capitalism works but the morality of outsourcing. Outsourcing a job to India where a worker will accept half as much pay as an American is very commonly done and is good business sense. This is truth. But the others are arguing from an ethical standpoint based on the argument that outsourcing is causing Americans to not be able to find work in their fields or survive, therefore one must hire as many Americans as possible to keep that from happening. And it is very unethical.

Okay. When have I defended outsourcing? It erodes the economy. So when only the poor and wealthy are left.....the wealthy will soon shoulder the burden of maintaining the country.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="kiteinthesky"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I guess the concept of supply and demand is foreign to you.....

Okay. When have I defended outsourcing? It erodes the economy. So when only the poor and wealthy are left.....the wealthy will soon shoulder the burden of maintaining the country.

Again, welcome to capitalism. I'm not saying it's a great system, but unless you're suggesting that consumers face the brunt of the extraordinary costs of goods when companies have to pay employees 100x what they're currently paying them, I don't really see how you can avoid this problem. And the wealthy already shoulder the burden of maintaining the country....as they should. Nobody should have a net worth of a billion dollars. It's just too much.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="kiteinthesky"] The issue is not an understanding of how capitalism works but the morality of outsourcing. Outsourcing a job to India where a worker will accept half as much pay as an American is very commonly done and is good business sense. This is truth. But the others are arguing from an ethical standpoint based on the argument that outsourcing is causing Americans to not be able to find work in their fields or survive, therefore one must hire as many Americans as possible to keep that from happening. And it is very unethical.

Again, welcome to capitalism. I'm not saying it's a great system, but unless you're suggesting that consumers face the brunt of the extraordinary costs of goods when companies have to pay employees 100x what they're currently paying them, I don't really see how you can avoid this problem. And the wealthy already shoulder the burden of maintaining the country....as they should. Nobody should have a net worth of a billion dollars. It's just too much.

No the middle class currently shoulder's the majority of the burden. And again.....supply and demand. Learn about it.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#167 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Hyperbole much? Prior to removing tariffs and outsourcing.....I don't think anyone paid $500 for shoes.

Well, at 500 bucks supply and demand will go f-themself. Some people would actually go bare foot from there on.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

TC must have never had a car loan, mortgage, or credit card in order to make such an asinine thread.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 BluRayHiDef

TC must have never had a car loan, mortgage, or credit card in order to make such an asinine thread.

EagleEyedOne

You seem to not understand that I specified moral responsibility, not financial responsibility. 

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]

BluRayHiDef

You seem to not understand that I specified moral responsibility, not financial responsibility. 

Any situation where a person or institution gives you money based on your credit or stage in life imposes a financial responsibility onto yourself. They gave you the money in order to be paid back and your failure to pay them back reflects your ill character.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]

BluRayHiDef

Do you think it's moral to borrow something and never return it? Do you think it's moral to break your word?
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]

LJS9502_basic

Do you think it's moral to borrow something and never return it? Do you think it's moral to break your word?

If you were too young and naive to understand the seriousness of agreeing to do so, then yes, I think it's moral. A person's brain doesn't fully mature until their twenties; eighteen is too young to understand the significance of borrowing large sums of money.

applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#173 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

If you were too young and naive to understand the seriousness of agreeing to do so, then yes, I think it's moral. A person's brain doesn't fully mature until their twenties; eighteen is too young to understand the significance of borrowing large sums of money.

I think the second part is true due to eighteen year olds having a lack of experience but I'd hardly say their brains aren't fully developed at that age.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Do you think it's moral to borrow something and never return it? Do you think it's moral to break your word?BluRayHiDef

Then you are too young to drink or vote at 18. Both require one to understand more than the significance of borrowing money and the need to pay it back.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]

LJS9502_basic

I don't think it's moral to be a predatory lender and offer people free credit when they would otherwise be on the street. You might be giving people a way out, but it's also a way into a never ending cycle of minimum payments. Most money made with credit card companies comes from the people who have no alternative to taking on extra debt. And these companies also prey on people who have already been bankrupt, because they become completely unable to erase the debt. To act as if the credit companies are providing credit fairly isn't being realistic. You're acting like the people who borrow money are educated and can understand the system they're getting involved in.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Do you think it's moral to borrow something and never return it? Do you think it's moral to break your word?chrisrooR
I don't think it's moral to be a predatory lender and offer people free credit when they would otherwise be on the street. You might be giving people a way out, but it's also a way into a never ending cycle of minimum payments. Most money made with credit card companies comes from the people who have no alternative to taking on extra debt. And these companies also prey on people who have already been bankrupt, because they become completely unable to erase the debt. To act as if the credit companies are providing credit fairly isn't being realistic. You're acting like the people who borrow money are educated and can understand the system they're getting involved in.

Blame a past Congress for changing laws that kept banks and other credit institutions from lending money in any form to people who would have difficulties paying it back or could not pay it back at all.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#177 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Studends should be "morally responsible" to not take those loans in the first place. Yeah, they're terrible loans, which are bad for the people who get them, and have a bunch of extra conditions and whatnot that make them even worse than other loans, but nobody is forcing you to get one. To say that people shouldn't have to pay back their loans just because they were idiots and took out loans without reading the fine print, is asinine. 

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]

[QUOTE="Chrypt22"] Example: there is a very high demand for Database programmers / Administrators so much so that companies are in sourcing people TO the US from OTHER countries because there isn't enough graduates to fill the jobs.  LJS9502_basic

His dad is really nothing more than a product of the system we live in.  If outsourcing is the most economically viable option, companies will do it.  As Chris said, it really is capitalism.  

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 chrisrooR

thegerg

I'd bet that you're no talking 1/2 your pay either. You take all of it, just like his dad, and just like the Asian guy his dad is paying. I guess you're part of the problem too.

It's a problem inherent in the DNA of capitalism. The bottom line comes before everything. Without revenue, a business can't survive. In the business world, you need to attract investors with large profit margins. One way to do that is to outsource the work that needs to be done. Welcome to the real world LJ.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 LJS9502_basic

thegerg

I'd bet that you're no talking 1/2 your pay either. You take all of it, just like his dad, and just like the Asian guy his dad is paying. I guess you're part of the problem too.

I see the point is over your head. You seem to be confused. Next time read the posts more slowly.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You dad is part of the problem then.....bet he's not taking half his pay.

It's a problem inherent in the DNA of capitalism. The bottom line comes before everything. Without revenue, a business can't survive. In the business world, you need to attract investors with large profit margins. One way to do that is to outsource the work that needs to be done. Welcome to the real world LJ.

You still haven't explained why you don't get the concept of supply and demand. Maybe you should step into the real world sometime....
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You dad is part of the problem then.....bet he's not taking half his pay.LJS9502_basic

I see the point is over your head. You seem to be confused. Next time read the posts more slowly.

:lol:

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="thegerg"] I'd bet that you're no talking 1/2 your pay either. You take all of it, just like his dad, and just like the Asian guy his dad is paying. I guess you're part of the problem too.

You still haven't explained why you don't get the concept of supply and demand. Maybe you should step into the real world sometime....

The demand for shoes would stay the same (assuming people continue to purchase shoes). The price for a company to bring their outsourced product, which is produced at 20 cents an hour, would increase by 40 times (by paying the American worker 8 dollars an hour). The price of shoes for that company would have to rise to support the additional labour costs to maintain previous profit margins to keep the investors happy. People would simply navigate around the shoes that cost 400-500 dollars, and opt for the competitors products which continue to be outsourced. Before you start lecturing people on supply and demand, perhaps you should point out the flaw in my argument and pinpoint it as opposed to declaring it's all wrong. Learn how to have an argument. Also, it's amazing how you consistently think you're arguments are so infallible. In every one of your posts you act like a teenage kid in a debate club. You're so high and mighty on these forums, yet when you start to lose an argument you back away and stop responding.
eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
Lenders do not lend from a moral position but rather a financial one. Paying back a loan is not a question of morality but rather of finances. If one chooses to not pay back a loan when they are financially able then morality begins to enter the picture. Conversely when money is lent when it is known that the debt cannot be paid back then morality has entered the picture. People believing that paying back a monetary debt is a moral responsibility is incredibly unethical imo.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#186 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"] It's a problem inherent in the DNA of capitalism. The bottom line comes before everything. Without revenue, a business can't survive. In the business world, you need to attract investors with large profit margins. One way to do that is to outsource the work that needs to be done. Welcome to the real world LJ.

The demand for shoes would stay the same (assuming people continue to purchase shoes). The price for a company to bring their outsourced product, which is produced at 20 cents an hour, would increase by 40 times (by paying the American worker 8 dollars an hour). The price of shoes for that company would have to rise to support the additional labour costs to maintain previous profit margins to keep the investors happy. People would simply navigate around the shoes that cost 400-500 dollars, and opt for the competitors products which continue to be outsourced. Before you start lecturing people on supply and demand, perhaps you should point out the flaw in my argument and pinpoint it as opposed to declaring it's all wrong. Learn how to have an argument. Also, it's amazing how you consistently think you're arguments are so infallible. In every one of your posts you act like a teenage kid in a debate club. You're so high and mighty on these forums, yet when you start to lose an argument you back away and stop responding.

I suppose LJS just doesn't understand that if you pay workers an extra $5-$10/hr, that money has to come from somewhere. Companies aren't going to go into debt so that you can feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing your shoes were made locally. Companies WILL try to reduce costs where-ever they can, while maintaining efficiencies, which outsourcing allows. Remember, if you're paying a guy in a country where it costs $100/month to survive, if you paid them 10/hr , they wouldn't need to work for you very long.