Struggling with weight.

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

6 months ago I weighed 190 lbs

The next time I weighed myself it was 235

Just weighed myself now and I am 260.

I walk EVERYDAY and swim 1-2 times a day. I was lifting weights for a while. Please for the love of god, tell me it's muscle.

It might be because I take 3 different meds because I have a mental health disorder.

I have been eating breakfast these past six months. I'll eat a couple pancakes, a bowl of cerial, or an omelette.

From now on, no more breakfast! :cry:

OT, any weight watching or exercising tips for me? I don't want to be an F-A-T! Rolly-polly fat, fat!

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

When it comes to just losing weight I have found that a small breakfast combined with a healthy lunch is a good way to go. Also weighing yourself daily is a good way to know that you are actually making progress.

I don't know about the meds thing though.

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

I rode a bike every where for about 6 months doing about 30 miles a day and went from 195 to 170. I also ate almost nothing but rice while taking a vitamin supplement. The thing to be careful about rice and pasta is that they're starches so if you aren't active enough to burn it all it will get you fat, otherwise it's just a quick filling meal. 

**aand for the past two months i''vI've kept it off despite not biking anymore 

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheHighWind

When it comes to just losing weight I have found that a small breakfast combined with a healthy lunch is a good way to go. Also weighing yourself daily is a good way to know that you are actually making progress.

I don't know about the meds thing though.

Serraph105

I am about to research my meds and see if any of them cause weight gain.

Thank you for your tip.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Having a light lunch and replacing your evening meal with a coupls of bottles of white wine has really helped me shed the weight.

bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts

My weight has been consistant for the last decade. I weigh 190 at 6 feet 1. For over 10 years I've been meat free, for the last 5 years I've been eating 1 (sometimes 2) meals a day. For the last 3 years my diet turned into consuming only beans, grains and fruits (occasional veggie burger here and there), I drink a bunch of smoothies now. My energy levels are high and off the charts, I sleep about 3 to 4 hours a night and hardly ever feel tired or lazy.

This is what works for me. Maybe this will assist you with a few ideas, or help you in finding alternatives...good luck.

Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts
I found this helpful if not a bit daunting at first its a good read . Do not get to overwhelmed or try and drop too much weight just get yourself in to a steady routine and don't obses. Keep at it and you will taking on David Lo Pan in no time.
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
read up big fella http://www.bulletproofexec.com/author/daveasprey/ this is the scientifically proved s***
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheHighWind

One of my meds has a 5% chance of weight gain.

Another has no weight gain.

One of the side affects of the third one is actually weight loss.

So unless im in that 5% it's not my meds.

The fact that I live at home with my folks right now is another concern. You know how "Home cookin'" is.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

My weight has been consistant for the last decade. I weigh 190 at 6 feet 1. For over 10 years I've been meat free, for the last 5 years I've been eating 1 (sometimes 2) meals a day. For the last 3 years my diet turned into consuming only beans, grains and fruits (occasional veggie burger here and there), I drink a bunch of smoothies now. My energy levels are high and off the charts, I sleep about 3 to 4 hours a night and hardly ever feel tired or lazy.

This is what works for me. Maybe this will assist you with a few ideas, or help you in finding alternatives...good luck.

bnarmz

You must never stop farting.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

It might be because I take 3 different meds because I have a mental health disorder.

TheHighWind

That may have something to do with it. Also, see an endocrinologist; your thyroid may be having problems. 

I have been eating breakfast these past six months. I'll eat a couple pancakes, a bowl of cerial, or an omelette.

From now on, no more breakfast! :cry:TheHighWind

Skipping breakfast is dumb. Just try to keep it down to a bowl of cereal with no sugar and, if possible, lactose-free milk. 

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
Do not skip meals. That will just trigger your body to store more food as fat once it gets it. Instead it multiple smaller meals a day. If you eat 3 meals/ day, take that same amount of food (or a little less) and divided into six meals.
marluxia101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 marluxia101
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

Watch you're caloric intake and how many carbs you consume(eat you're carbs early in the day) run for 30 min. everyday and go lift weights 4-5 days a week(or w/e)...worked for me :3 also juice and candy is The Devil...drink LOTS of water to keep youre metabolism going and never skip breakfast :O

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheHighWind

I feel I should also tell you guys my height, I'm 6'5' so I am a big dude,

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

A bowl of healthy cereal in the morning is known to help reduce weight.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheHighWind

Watch you're caloric intake and how many carbs you consume(eat you're carbs early in the day) run for 30 min. everyday and go lift weights 4-5 days a week(or w/e)...worked for me :3 also juice and candy is The Devil...drink LOTS of water to keep youre metabolism going and never skip breakfast :O

marluxia101

I am a heavy smoker and can only run in short bursts. I'll give it a try though!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
70 lbs in 6 months?? what's a typical day of eating for you? also, i wouldn't recommend skipping b-fast as you're likely to be more hungry by lunch and just eat more.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

I feel I should also tell you guys my height, I'm 6'5' so I am a big dude,

TheHighWind
At 6'5" you should probably be shooting for about 200-220 for a moderately muscled build. And weight gain/loss is pretty much all about the diet. Start counting calories (EVERYTHING that has a calorie) and determine what your daily intake is. Then try to cut down to about 1800 a day.
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts
[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="bnarmz"]

You must never stop farting.

not really. one things for sure they don't smell as bad as they use to. Still don't smell like roses, thou...haha
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
Dear Lord. Please don't eat six meals a day. Please don't lift and run every day. Skip breakfast if it helps. Use a few online calculators to find your caloric intake. Use www.myfitnesspal.com to track your caloric intake. Eat protein. I used to weigh 225. Now I weigh 175. I ran eight miles a day and ate what I wanted. I lost more weight and fat when I sat around and played video games with a strict diet. I lift two or three days a week depending on if I want to get bigger or smaller. Lift heavy if you want to go to the gym. Just diet and keep busy. Running will only go so far before it raises your cortisol and restricts weight loss.
marluxia101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 marluxia101
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

[QUOTE="marluxia101"]

TheHighWind

I am a heavy smoker and can only run in short bursts. I'll give it a try though!

It takes alot of time and dedication but the results are so worth it :) GOOD LUCK

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheHighWind

*stops sitting his fat butt at comp and goes exercise.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

exercise, and log calorie intake. Make sure you are eating enough as well, as if you consume too few calories, body will go into starvation mode.

I, too, struggle with weight. 2010 I weighed 286 pounds. Beginning of the year: 267, and with exercise (45 mins usually on elliptical 6 days a week, and strength stuff on MWF), I am currently down to 260. You might find a site like myfitnesspal that logs food intake and exercise to be helpful. 

If you drink soda, eat fast food regularly, I suggest to stop both.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#25 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
It comes down to what the food intake is. Then how hard and how long you work out. But if it's alarming, I'd see a nutritionist, sign up with a physical trainer, or go see a doctor.
Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

Eat less.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
learn more from your docty about hem pillies ;p
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

TheHighWind

Very possible. Check drug side effects here: http://www.drugs.com/

TheHighWind

N0 -- I'm by no means an expert here but this goes against everything I've learned in my nursing/nurtrition courses.

If you skip breakfast your going to be more hungry througout the day, and it will negatively impact your metabolism -- your body is going to try to hoard all the extra engry it can in the form of fat.

I know this is cliche, but I really think diet-wise the choosemyplate model is pretty good

File:USDA MyPlate green.jpg

Notice that grains are very important (you need them for engery, especially as an active individual) BUT half what you eat should still be fruits and vegitables.  Fruits and vegitables are high in fiber and low in calories -- they'll take up a lot of space in your stomach and help you feel more full.  So if you focus on eating more of these you'll naturally eat a bit less of everything else.

Another useful, related, concept I have learned is caloric density:

energydensitypr.jpg

^^^ Same calories but the picture on the right will be a lot more filling.

So you could actually eat more food, but just better.  

But yeah, check your drugs and speak with your docor if you have any concerns.

OH -- and biochemically speaking, excess protien is more likely to be converted into fat than carbs.  Your body can actually store glucose as glycogen in your liver but protein can only be used, excreted, or stored as fat.  So if you happen to be taking a protient shake, that *could* be an issue (depending on how much egg/meat/milk/soy you're consuming in addition to the drink).

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Meinhard1
Also, cutting breakfast just sucks. If you're starting each day off with pancakes, a bowl of cereal, or an omelette... that's wonderful. I'd hate to think of you starving yourself instead.
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Start running?

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

I'm semi-retired and noticed that I was gaining weight. As a matter of fact, I was outgrowing my clothes. So I decided to lose weight. I've lost 15 pounds in 5 months and feel great. I'm offering some tips.

1. Don't call it a DIET. Call it life style or whatever. As soon as you start talking about "diet", you start feeling hungry! :D

2. Get yourself a spread sheet and start writing everything down - even if it's just a mouthful - you're going to be amazed at how many "just a mouthfuls" you take in the course of a day. Do a calorie count (there's a lot of counters on the internet). Then the first week, cut about 1000 calories. Second week, 15 more.

3. Eat a bit of everything, don't deprive yourself. If you feel like having a cookie - have the damned cookie! Otherwise you wiill feel deprived and start eating to make up for the cookie you didn't eat. (Trust me, I've been through this.) BUT - eat it slowly. You'll feel more satisfied that way.

When it comes right down to it, you don't have to "diet" - just eat less. You'll be surprised at how fast the weight drops. And, if you don't drop fast enough (although personally I feel 1 pound a week is fine), then cut another 500 calories. But the slower you lose, the more likely you will keep it off.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts

TheHighWind

eating breakfast will actually help you lose weight

1.  It will prevent you from eating more later

2.  Eating a moderate breakfast will keep your metabolism up; if you dont eat breakfast, it would be a good 12 hours minimum since you've had food in your system (i.e. you ate dinner at 7PM, then no breakfast the next day, then lunch at 12PM).  Your body's metabolism slows to a crawl, and anything you eat from that point forward will get turned to fat that much easier.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Meinhard1

^^^ word.

[QUOTE="marluxia101"]

TheHighWind

If you're already swimming 1-2 times per day, though, the taking up running shouldn't be a huge priority. You're already so active and if you think running might cause you more stress, then it may not be worth it. Just a thought.

If you do want to get some cardio out of the pool, but find running too difficult, then biking may be a good option.

Yeah, juice, pop, and candy are relatively worthless diet-wise. If you're going to drink juice, orange or grapefruit juice is better than apple.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Well, it should be pretty easy to tell if it's muscle or fat by looking the mirror.  Honestly though, there is no f*cking way to gain that much muscle in that short a time though.  Anyway, you probably shouldn't skip breakfast, but rather eat a very small breakfast to get your body moving and metabolizing.  For many people skipping breakfast actually causes weight gain.

This is not always the case for skinny people, for example if I skip breakfast my body often goes into a slowed down state and my appetite will likely be curbed for the entire day, but this is rare.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

Start running?

Necrifer
even just walking is great, also doing that without having eaten anything for a long while will burn that fat on you stead of the food you just ate.
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

[QUOTE="Necrifer"]

Start running?

KiIIyou

even just walking is great, also doing that without having eaten anything for a long while will burn that fat on you stead of the food you just ate.

Indeed!

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

TC, with the way it sounds I think it would be worthwhile to look into whether or not you have a metabolic problem going on.

I have a friend who was on a bunch of psych meds and even with her having EATING DISORDERS she still GAINED a bunch of weight thanks to the meds....

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
Also, cutting breakfast just sucks. If you're starting each day off with pancakes, a bowl of cereal, or an omelette... that's wonderful. I'd hate to think of you starving yourself instead. Meinhard1
Too add on to this thought: if you make a pancake, try making it with a whole grain flour, which I hear is healthier than white.
tempertress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39 tempertress
Member since 2012 • 1131 Posts
Ir's probably worth seeing a dietician and watching your portion sizes in addition to what you're actually eating. If you don't mind reddit then /r/fitness is a very helpful community for these sorts of things.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
When I quit smoking I went from 175lbs to a max of 209lbs over the course of a year, mosly from eating junk food every time I had urges to smoke. After I quit eating the junk food I got down to 195lbs and then I stopped loosing weight. Then I started dieting and what I did was, Started drinking a slimfast shake for breakfast, eat a big dinner sized lunch and drink a Slimfast shake for dinner. I do snack alittle during the day while at work . I started this a few weeks ago and am down to 183 right now and still loosing. I am trying to get to whereI was at 175lbs. Slimfast is suposed to be a shake a breakfast and lunch but I work 12 hour days and get home late thats why I do the shake for dinner.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

If you gained 70lbs in 6 months, it may be something more than just diet.  It's possible that some of your meds are having a detrimental effect on your body.  Have you changed your diet signficantly during this time?  If not, it's possible you could be retaining fluid or having some other issue.  Best to notify your doctor of this change.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Dude, no more pancakes and all those food that you love.. if you eat differently it will help you lose, eat light food, white rice, no fried food, hot peppers helps you lose, too.. don't lift weights cuz it made you gain. don't need to exercise too much cuz it will make you eat more, just be active.. if you're hungry - drink water, instead of eating food, no soda... stay away from those meds if you can.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Maybe it's muscle, and maybe it ain't. Probably the most helpful thing you could do is post a pic or two of yourself so we can gauge things properly.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Everyone loses weight differently.  I'd suggest keeping up your exercise regimen and maybe getting some help with training or join a sport.  Also, look into your diet.  Combining the right proteins, fats, carbs, etc will do wonders for you.  Eat 4-6 smaller meals a day and set yourself a number of calories to eat every day.  Also, don't stress too much about it or you will be more tempted to cheat or skip exercising days.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#45 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Don't eat pancakes, they're bad for you especially if you put syrup on them. Eat something like oatmeal and eggs for breakfast, and it's very important to eat breakfast to lose weight.

I've never struggled with my weight though, I weigh 165. My brother has, but he could easily lose weight if he really wanted to. I think most people who are fat just don't know how to lose weight correctl.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Eat plain popcorn kernels for breakfast from a hot air popper. High in fiber and has more anti-oxidants than fruits and veggies. Also the only "cereal" that is 100% whole grain. And technically it was the first cereal ever.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

You should probably go to the doctor. That kind of weight gain isn't natural.

I had a friend who had this happen to him in high school and he had a brain tumor that was causing some hormone imbalance. He had his growth perminantly stunted, looks very young and is still having trouble getting the weight off even though it has been 10 years. 

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

I walk EVERYDAY and swim 1-2 times a day. I was lifting weights for a while. Please for the love of god, tell me it's muscle.

OT, any weight watching or exercising tips for me? I don't want to be an F-A-T! Rolly-polly fat, fat!

TheHighWind
Also, skipping breakfast will make you fatter.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

eat less.

It's simple math, it more goes out then comes in you lose weight.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

TheHighWind

it's probably you meds but you need to start running(at least a mile) instead of walking and do some crunches/sit ups.