Struggling with weight.

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

eat less.

It's simple math, it more goes out then comes in you lose weight.

MakeMeaSammitch

this is not good advice. as jacobsitheman said not eating can actually cause you to gain weight. your body will start to store what little food you do eat as fat.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

eat less.

-Renegade

this is not good advice. as jacobsitheman said not eating can actually cause you to gain weight. your body will start to store what little food you do eat as fat.

your body can't slow it's metabolism down infinitely.

Also, fatter people have the fastest metabolisms.

Avatar image for WonderfulTonite
WonderfulTonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 WonderfulTonite
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts

Some var will fix that just hit the gym and take some var.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

eat less.

-Renegade

As someone who has been eating far less food than she should be these days, I can say with great confidence that, in the long term at least, eating less leads to significant weight loss.
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

eat less.

ghoklebutter

As someone who has been eating far less food than she should be these days, I can say with great confidence that, in the long term at least, eating less leads to significant weight loss.

But you have to be smart about it. Eat 3 (or more) smaller meals, it will be way better for you than eating one or two large meals if the 3 combined have a few more calories. If you don't eat regularly/often your body will store more fat and slow your metabolism to compensate.

But as I said earlier, someone should not gain 60 pounds in 6 months without drastically changing their lifestyle drastically (eating McDonald's every day and not moving). Go to the doctor.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="-Renegade"]

Jacobistheman

But you have to be smart about it. Eat 3 (or more) smaller meals, it will be way better for you than eating one or two large meals if the 3 combined have a few more calories. If you don't eat regularly/often your body will store more fat and slow your metabolism to compensate.

But as I said earlier, someone should not gain 60 pounds in 6 months without drastically changing their lifestyle drastically (eating McDonald's every day and not moving). Go to the doctor.

Yeah, I don't think my eating habits should be emulated by anyone. I'm just saying that, after a certain point, eating less leads to rapid weight loss even if your eating schedule is way off. It's not healthy weight loss, though.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
10 pounds a month is pretty easy for some body types to put on if you get lazy and eat like crap but yeah you are better off eating five small meals a day than two big meals
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

10 pounds a month is pretty easy for some body types to put on if you get lazy and eat like crap but yeah you are better off eating five small meals a day than two big mealscheese_game619
It is possible (but not easy) to put on 10 pounds in a month (many people do it over the holidays), but it is very unusual to do it month after month. It requires eating about 1100 calories a day more (or burning 1100 calories less) than when you were not losing weight (1 pound of is about 3500 calories). He would know if his behavior changed enough to make this happen.

From WebMD: "Some prescription drugs used to treat depression, mood disorders, seizures, migraines, blood pressure, and diabetes can cause weight gain, from a modest amount to as much as 10 pounds per month."

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#59 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33351 Posts

Try going for some walks.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

That is an extreme weight gain. If you haven't been changing your diet much, I'd be interested in checking your triiodothyronine and thyroxine levels (thyroid hormones that influence basal metabolic rate). Maybe the medication has some kind of inhibitory effect on the hypothalamus. For the meds with weight gain, try to find out WHY it induces weight gain, that might give you more information.

Otherwise I would try to eat a little healthier, more vegetables and fruits to fill you up over caloric dense foods (like burgers, desserts, some pastas, etc). Those who consistently exercise have a higher basal metabolic rate than those who don't exercise, so even if you cant do much at first start exercising.

You should think about quitting smoking, introducing those chemicals into your system may make you feel sick and lethargic, or just damage your health. Of course many people who quit smoking gain weight, so you'll have to watch out for that.

Those saying it's diet alone, are partly right. You will lose weight changing your diet, but you will also lose lean mass. Exercise will help retain this lean mass, thus watching what you eat is better than just altering your diet or just exercising.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#61 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Geez, 6 months resulted into that?

Wow... that'd be a killer surprise if I went from 125lbs to 250lbs in a matter of months. I only eat big breakfasts about twice a month on average. Mainly cuz I'm poor. :/

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

6 months ago I weighed 190 lbs

The next time I weighed myself it was 235

Just weighed myself now and I am 260.

I walk EVERYDAY and swim 1-2 times a day. I was lifting weights for a while. Please for the love of god, tell me it's muscle.

It might be because I take 3 different meds because I have a mental health disorder.

I have been eating breakfast these past six months. I'll eat a couple pancakes, a bowl of cerial, or an omelette.

From now on, no more breakfast! :cry:

OT, any weight watching or exercising tips for me? I don't want to be an F-A-T! Rolly-polly fat, fat!

TheHighWind

First things first, BREAKFAST.

Breakfast is the single most important meal of the day so you should never give that up. The problem is that your eating pancakes and cereal. That's junk, stick with plain oatmeal and add fruit if you want.

There's not really much information you've provided. How many calories do you take in a day?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#64 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

try to eat less fat and skip some meals.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#65 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

How active are you? We need more details.

That's some massive weight gain right there.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
just don't eat ?? i lost 10 pounds by accident, and i was 140lbs then 130 lbs then back up to 135 again 5'11 shi just forget to eat it's so ez
Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts
do more cardio son!
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

I think losing weight can help some mental instability like depression.

I found that it has worked for me.

I think that instead of skipping breakfast, you should cut down on dinner.

Eating a proper breakfast prevents you from binge eating later on in the day.

Also you have a chance to burn off the calories too.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Normally people say you should have a good-sized breakfast but your breakfast is too much. Cut back and just have a bowl of cereal (not the sugary type) and a fruit. That or have some eggs. It also helps to cut back on unhealthy carbs and other junk so eat lightly. If you're still hungry have a fruit or a small portion of salad or whatever is healthy. In fact, read the nutrition label more often to make healthier choices. It also helps to eat more slowly. If you want to eat some junk food though, try to do it twice a week, in smaller portions, and if you can subsitute with something healthier. For example, you like a cheeseburger with fries and drink meal from McDonalds so instead don't order the meal, keep drinking that water but order the cheeseburger and only the cheeseburger. In fact, drink only water or milk.

As for exercise, keep up with your regiment and perhaps try using the treadmill (do a variety for inclines and runs within the 30 minute mark so for example you do 4 minutes of incline, 2 minutes of jogging, and repeat), stairmaster for 15 minutes, and do cycling for 15 minutes. Make sure you add resistance to your training so you can feel the burn. Also wear a sweater but you will sweat a lot so make sure you have a bottled water close to you and if you need to take a break, do it then resume your training. You don't want to hurt yourself.

So far I'm losing weight and I've been using that system and also swimming, jogging outside, push ups, and pull ups. You have to believe in yourself and don't give up. If you need help you can always get a gym membership or better yet, find a place like LA boxing because they offer great exercises.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

I don't know what everyone is on about this no breakfast thing. I was dropping a pound a week for the past 3 weeks (not that I needed too, I just didn't eat breakfast) when I skipped breakfast. Just don't compensate by eating more later. I actually like feeling hungry, am I screwed up or something?! And if you ate less and your metabolsim slowed down to compensate anorexic people wouldn't mbe anorexic.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#71 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Found a great video on how to lose weight. click.

Be sure to cut out those napkins and paper towels.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#72 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

just don't eat ?? i lost 10 pounds by accident, and i was 140lbs then 130 lbs then back up to 135 again 5'11 shi just forget to eat it's so ezJigglyWiggly_
I actually do this too. I gained like 10 pounds because I was eating like sh*t. Started playing video games and watching TV more so I forgot to eat and went back to my normal weight.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

6 months ago I weighed 190 lbs

The next time I weighed myself it was 235

Just weighed myself now and I am 260.

I walk EVERYDAY and swim 1-2 times a day. I was lifting weights for a while. Please for the love of god, tell me it's muscle.

It might be because I take 3 different meds because I have a mental health disorder.

I have been eating breakfast these past six months. I'll eat a couple pancakes, a bowl of cerial, or an omelette.

From now on, no more breakfast! :cry:

OT, any weight watching or exercising tips for me? I don't want to be an F-A-T! Rolly-polly fat, fat!

Blazerdt47

First things first, BREAKFAST.

Breakfast is the single most important meal of the day so you should never give that up. The problem is that your eating pancakes and cereal. That's junk, stick with plain oatmeal and add fruit if you want.

There's not really much information you've provided. How many calories do you take in a day?

Some cereal is okay, if it low in sugar, high in fibre.
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
I'm having the opposite problem, having trouble maintaining or gaining weight. Though I think I finally stopped losing weight within the past couple weeks..
eadie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 eadie_
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I AM A BIG MOMMA =D FEED ME!!!
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#76 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Eat less and if you don't want to run then just walk everyday. I do that every day and I've lost quite a few pounds. Still in the 200's but my height is counter balances it.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
Do you lift? If you put on muscle, your calorie consumption will naturally accelerate as your muscle mass increases.

Granted, this may actually slow down your WEIGHT loss, but that's only because you'll be swapping bad weight for good weight. I'm a big proponent of going by BMI for this reason.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#78 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Don't skip breakfast, just eat a small breakfast (it sounds like you're fine as is). Do the same for lunch - I've personally taken to eating half a sandwhich and a good sized salad for lunch, which has been working great. Eat a decent dinner and don't snack afterwards. You should definitely go back to weight lifting, you'll gain a bit of weight from muscle mass but you'll also boost your metabolism.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

I really doubt you walk daily and swim daily to twice daily and STILL have gained 70lbs in six months.  You are excluding something from your story other than "home cookin" (unless they deep fry everything or cook everything covered in oil and cheese)... Are you also downing non-diet soda and chips everyday?  Because that sh-t fecks you in the calorie department.  I know a guy who didn't eat a lot, but was skinnyfat (small figure, but tub everywhere) forever because he drank like 12 cans of Dr. Pepper every day... That's 1200 calories of sugar you dump in your system from a drink.  ON TOP OF FOOD.

I mean swimming is some of the best exercise a human can do and you claim to do it two times a day, everyday... So clearly fitness isn't the issue.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#80 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Take what you eat on a daily basis, and deduct 25%. Eat 75% of what you normally would eat, and you will lose weight.