Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I loved the trailer. The Stormtroopers got a major overhaul in how they look. The X-Wings looked fantastic. I liked the new lightsaber that was shown. It also showed the character off to be kind of ragged looking, which might lend credence to the idea that the lightsaber is very ancient, thus why it has a crossguard. And then the Millenium Falcon makes a cameo.

What wasn't there to love about the trailer?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I'm mostly excited because Abrams seems to be favouring practical effects, creatures, and props. I've seen some pictures and a lot of them look incredibly detailed and remind me of the original films. This is such a positive change after the CGI fuckfest that was the Prequel trilogy.

Now Disney, give us the unaltered original trilogy on blu-ray. PLEASE

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

Wait that was fake right? I really fucking hope so as if this is real I no longer care for the star wars series of movies. Like why the **** was a drone riding and rolling a soccer ball? And the clone is fucking black? Just **** off JJ abrams way to ruin both major sci fi series.

1) Lucas already did his best to ruin it. JJ should dramatically improve upon the stonework already there.

2) That was a stormtrooper not a clone. This takes place at least 40 or more years since the clones trooper facilities were shut down. 60+ year old clones would probably be inefficient in any sort of battle. Most likely stormtroopers are now draftees from the general population, or volunteers.

3) that Stormtrooper was a major character in the movie. What his role is going to be can only be speculation. But to get a viewpoint of a stormtrooper or soldier of the empire is a very intriguing notion.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Emil_Fontz
Member since 2014 • 799 Posts

Due to J.J. Abrams's overuse of lens flares and color saturation, and his frenzied/ chaotic camera direction, I didn't have much faith in him when he was revealed as the director of this film. However, this trailer has changed my mind, as it captures the aesthetic of the original Star Wars trilogy but enhances it with the style of modern cinematography. I can't wait to see this.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@Legend002 Dude that's a real desert not a green screen in the first shot lol also what's wrong with him as the main character? He's actually quite a good actor.

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

I like the teaser. Looks very promising!

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57  Edited By RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

The detail is amazing.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@BossPerson said:

december 2015 wow. why even show people this early.

By then we'll all be too busy serving our new Russian overlords to watch silly sci-fi movies.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@davillain- said:

@chaplainDMK said:

That X-Wing shot is baws

I couldn't tell if that was Wedge in that X-Wing or not but I do hope he comes back. Best Pilot of all times.

No, that would be Porkins ...

Loading Video...

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@airshocker: yeah, I'm optimistic

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

Wait that was fake right? I really fucking hope so as if this is real I no longer care for the star wars series of movies. Like why the **** was a drone riding and rolling a soccer ball? And the clone is fucking black? Just **** off JJ abrams way to ruin both major sci fi series.

You can spot the star wars noob by miles away.

By A New Hope most storm troopers weren't clones.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Been re-watching the trailer over and over again for the entire day. I just can't stop taking my eyes off of it. :P

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

New Jurassic Park, new Star Wars, now we just need a new Back to the Future.

Oh and the trailer looked really really good, really brought back the feeling that I loved int the original trilogy.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

I still haven't watched it, will click link after post.

But, I'm surprised this is creating so much buzz. I mean, it's expected, it's just I had no idea this trailer was coming and was totally blindsided by it. I was aware there was supposed to be a big Jurassic Park trailer and expected people to be talking about that but it appears to be taking a back seat to all the Star Wars fervor.

EDIT: okay, just watched it, I can feel the excitement to see this already. Only thing I found off was that light saber cross, now I see where all the viral mockery of that was coming from. Other than that though I'm stoked. JJ Abrams did good reviving Star Trek, I hope he can satisfy just the same.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#65 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Hoping for a Revan obsessed cult to be the main baddies. Saw the teaser again for the millionth time and it is still so hard to piece together a prediction of the main plot.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@korvus said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Storm_Marine said:

It's not a triple lightsaber, it's just blowout from the main beam presumably because the main beam is so hardcore.

Still ridiculous. The only thing I'm really having a problem with from the teaser after re-watching it a couple times is the lightsaber. The "flame" thing they are going for is, fine, I guess, but the "hilt" blades, or whatever they might be is just way too over the top even for Star Wars.

They make no sense. No blade weapon in the history of humanity, from what I can recall, has ever had blades of any sort in those positions. Certainly they've had blade "grabbers" (like a sai) but never an edged blade proper running perpendicular to the main blade. But I could be wrong.

But hey, they might have a decent enough explanation for it.

Considering how many of them keep getting their hands amputated at the wrist, I'm thinking it's intended to be some sort of guard, like actual swords have.

But it wouldn't be an effective guard against anything, as a saber beam sliding down the blade would slice right through the "hilt" because it's not a laser at that point, it's still part of the handle. I'm skeptical of this being a lightsaber at all tbh, the "blade" is far too skinny, long, and appears to be bent to the left.

Meh, not much like I care. I lost all hope for decent Star Wars movies after the prequel abominations.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@MirkoS77 said:

@korvus said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Storm_Marine said:

It's not a triple lightsaber, it's just blowout from the main beam presumably because the main beam is so hardcore.

Still ridiculous. The only thing I'm really having a problem with from the teaser after re-watching it a couple times is the lightsaber. The "flame" thing they are going for is, fine, I guess, but the "hilt" blades, or whatever they might be is just way too over the top even for Star Wars.

They make no sense. No blade weapon in the history of humanity, from what I can recall, has ever had blades of any sort in those positions. Certainly they've had blade "grabbers" (like a sai) but never an edged blade proper running perpendicular to the main blade. But I could be wrong.

Considering how many of them keep getting their hands amputated at the wrist, I'm thinking it's intended to be some sort of guard, like actual swords have.

But it wouldn't be an effective guard against anything, as a saber beam sliding down the blade would slice right through the "hilt" because it's not a laser at that point, it's still part of the handle. I'm skeptical of this being a lightsaber at all tbh, the "blade" is far too skinny, long, and appears to be bent to the left.

Meh, not much like I care. I lost all hope for decent Star Wars movies after the prequel abominations.

There are two things. First, the hilt could be made out of some kind of metal(cortosis ore), or could be energized in such a way, that it can't be cut by lightsaber blades.

Second, it could not even be a crossguard at all. Some speculation is that it's just two places for energy to escape. If that's true then JJ is linking lightsaber use to the Force, which would be pretty epic.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I'm liking the look of this! Can we all agree to call him Jar Jar Abrahams from now on?

If it's true that the side sabers are to let out excess energy then I'm gonna hand it to myself, I nailed that one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@ianhh6 said:

I'm liking the look of this! Can we all agree to call him Jar Jar Abrahams from now on?

If it's true that the side sabers are to let out excess energy then I'm gonna hand it to myself, I nailed that one.

That does make a lot of sense. The blade looks really unstable. Lightsaber blades haven't really ever been associated with the Force, but it might be really cool if JJ Abrams did that.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Catalli  Moderator

@airshocker said:

@ianhh6 said:

That does make a lot of sense. The blade looks really unstable. Lightsaber blades haven't really ever been associated with the Force, but it might be really cool if JJ Abrams did that.

That's actually only partially true I think. If I'm not mistaken lightsabers have crystals inside them which are what give them power (and also colour?). Jedi make these crystals themselves for their lightsabers, maybe the person in the trailer made a very crude crystal for his lightsaber due to not being able to use the force, hence the apparent instability.

Another possibility that crossed my mind is that it's a much more powerful lightsaber in terms of raw power than your typical blade, which could explain the uncontrolled energy it emits and why it looks more like a flame.

I dunno but colour me interested :D

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#71 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

@airshocker said:

That's actually only partially true I think. If I'm not mistaken lightsabers have crystals inside them which are what give them power (and also colour?). Jedi make these crystals themselves for their lightsabers, maybe the person in the trailer made a very crude crystal for his lightsaber due to not being able to use the force, hence the apparent instability.

Another possibility that crossed my mind is that it's a much more powerful lightsaber in terms of raw power than your typical blade, which could explain the uncontrolled energy it emits and why it looks more like a flame.

Jedi harvest crystals, Sith make crystals.

On an unrelated note, I watched the most recent Blu-ray version of A New Hope last night and am really, really, really, really, really, really, really hoping that JJ and team get permission to redo the "special editions" of these movies and bring them back to the original theatrical cuts. All the added shit is unnecessary and looks fake and plasticky due to the higher resolution and age of the CGI.

It's just awful. Thank the movie gods for the "Despecialized Edition".

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Catalli  Moderator

@foxhound_fox said:

Ah, well my theory still holds up for now if that guy is supposed to be a force-less villain.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I started to lose a lot of faith in this when I saw they they're taking actually inspiration from the shitty prequels (like the villains having especially dumb lightsabers). I mean, that's a pretty large bad idea, I wonder how many more bad ideas are going to plague this film..

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#74 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Weak. Slap together a dozen+ parts of the movie and show 4-5 seconds of things that tell you nothing about it....lame. They would have been better off just posting a video with someone saying, "Yes, we are making the movie and it will be out December 2015."

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@neatfeatguy said:

Weak. Slap together a dozen+ parts of the movie and show 4-5 seconds of things that tell you nothing about it....lame. They would have been better off just posting a video with someone saying, "Yes, we are making the movie and it will be out December 2015."

All teaser trailers are like that.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By foxhound_fox

@ianhh6 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Ah, well my theory still holds up for now if that guy is supposed to be a force-less villain.

Yep. Just clarifying is all.

I spent a lot of time about 10 years ago reading Wookipedia regarding the EU. I'd hate to have all that time go to waste. =P

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#77  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought the crystal merely focused the beam of energy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

I started to lose a lot of faith in this when I saw they they're taking actually inspiration from the shitty prequels (like the villains having especially dumb lightsabers). I mean, that's a pretty large bad idea, I wonder how many more bad ideas are going to plague this film..

I don't get this, how is a sword powered by magic with three "blades" a worse idea than a sword powered by magic with one blade? I don't much care for Star Wars but this just reads like nitpicking.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Catalli  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas: I don't think it would make much of a difference would it? A badly made lens would refract light in the wrong way for glasses, same as a crystal for lightsabers. I dunno I think a lack of control over the force and the creation of lightsabers would explain a lot of the trailer.

@foxhound_fox: pfff I've read more wookiepedia, lotr wikia and avatar wikia than I care to admit (and that's just to name a few :p )

however regarding the crystals my shallow knowledge comes from the opening missions from SW:TOR haha

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#80 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:
@SaintLeonidas said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

looks like the series is going to benefit from having a director who is actually GOOD for a change.

Yeah...but it is a shame we have to wait until Episode 8 for him though.

Wait they announced a director for the second of the new movies?

Yep, Rian Johnson (Looper).

Well Looper was very forgettable, so that's disappointing.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#81 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

@JustPlainLucas: I don't think it would make much of a difference would it? A badly made lens would refract light in the wrong way for glasses, same as a crystal for lightsabers. I dunno I think a lack of control over the force and the creation of lightsabers would explain a lot of the trailer.

@foxhound_fox: pfff I've read more wookiepedia, lotr wikia and avatar wikia than I care to admit (and that's just to name a few :p )

however regarding the crystals my shallow knowledge comes from the opening missions from SW:TOR haha

Ok, I had to look this up because it's been years. Here we go:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20051113041259/starwars/images/9/9a/Lightsaber-cutaway.jpg

Sorry, can't get stupid GS to paste the image. Anyway, as you can see in that picture, there is a power cell behind the actual crystals. So, the energy comes from the cell and gets focused by what actually looks like two crystals.

DaX_Factor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DaX_Factor
Member since 2003 • 167 Posts

Here's my first pick for a stormtrooper

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

I don't get this, how is a sword powered by magic with three "blades" a worse idea than a sword powered by magic with one blade? I don't much care for Star Wars but this just reads like nitpicking.

its even better, because....a crossguard blade can prevent this from happening.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#84  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

How did I know some people ITT were going to have a problem with the Stormtrooper. Where is the rolling eyes smiley when you need it?

Except for the weird-looking sand, that was a great trailer tho. The visuals are ace. And I say this as someone who never got into Star Wars because I'm probably too young (I'm 25) to fully understand the significance of the originals and the prequels are such dogshit.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 MirkoS77

@airshocker: I could buy that it's not a hilt and is instead a place to vent. They don't appear right away with the main blade deployment (which would be handy for quick draws) but about a second later which could indicate that an excess energy buildup is needed for them to show. Considering how unstable the beam looks I dont think this is too far of a reach.

I'd be more surprised if it's a hilt, actually.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 wis3boi

@MirkoS77 said:

@airshocker: I could buy that it's not a hilt and is instead a place to vent. They don't appear right away with the main blade deployment (which would be handy for quick draws) but about a second later which could indicate that an excess energy buildup is needed for them to show. Considering how unstable the beam looks I dont think this is too far of a reach.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 MirkoS77

@wis3boi: still doesn't explain the purpose of the delay. If it were a hilt I'd think it'd appear simultaneously with the main beam.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 wis3boi

@MirkoS77 said:

@wis3boi: still doesn't explain the purpose of the delay. If it were a hilt I'd think it'd appear simultaneously with the main beam.

just for looks

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By MirkoS77

@wis3boi said:

@MirkoS77 said:

just for looks

Could be.

Nice sig.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Catalli  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas: Yup, you're right. What makes the power comes from behind the crystals. Still, from its name, I'm gonna dare to guess the focusing crystal could play a part in the shape and form of the lightsaber. I'm gonna keep my theory for now hehe

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56115 Posts
@wis3boi said:

@MirkoS77 said:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber

Thank you. Some people don't know much on EU, I barley do but the whole Crossguard Lightsaber didn't bother me that much anyway.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Loading Video...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By foxhound_fox

@Brutal_Elitegs said:
Loading Video...

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I felt...........nothing.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Storm_Marine said:

I know it looks absurdly dangerous and impractical to use.

It's a hilt with crossguards because every damn jedi/sith loses their damn hands. It's a Light-Claymore.

I can't believe people think those are extra blades...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Aljosa23 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

If you have to ask, I don't even...

You might as well ask "what would be ridiculous about a shotgun with 4 barrels?" or something.

Ever heard of the term "gimmick"? Anything more than one blade looks over-the-top, stupid, and rather impractical. Darth Maul's lightsaber was pretty dumb too, but this is even worse.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#97 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Brutal_Elitegs said:
Loading Video...

lol

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 KHAndAnime

@wis3boi said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

No. In the SW universe Lightsaber hilts aren't indestructable - lightsabers go through everything that isn't a lightsaber - it would pass right through the hilt no differently.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 foxhound_fox

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

No. In the SW universe Lightsaber hilts aren't indestructable - lightsabers go through everything that isn't a lightsaber - it would pass right through the hilt no differently.

Obi-Wan sliced Darth Maul's double bladed lightsaber in half in Episode I.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#100  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Storm_Marine said:

I know it looks absurdly dangerous and impractical to use.

It's a hilt with crossguards because every damn jedi/sith loses their damn hands. It's a Light-Claymore.

I can't believe people think those are extra blades...

How many crossguards are lethal? It's an absurd weapon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/11/28/master-bladesmith-new-lightsaber-design-is-a-terrible-idea/

By the way, I said early on in this thread that's it's not a tri-saber and it's probably just blow-off from the main beam.

The extra beams being an unfortunate but necessary side effect rather than having a intentional function as a cross guard.