Skateboarding vs Snowboarding vs Surfing, which is the most difficult?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-614fa247a87ab
deactivated-614fa247a87ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-614fa247a87ab
Member since 2003 • 1858 Posts

I give respect to all three disciplines and don't think one is better than the other when you look at them overall. However, when you look at each of them I think that:

A. Skateboarding requires more precision and more technical skills than snowboarding or surfing. Flipping and twisting a board that's not attached to your feet takes a lot of practice.

B. Snowboarding requires more guts. Anyone can learn to snowboard, but to throw yourself off a fifty foot cliff or a huge table top kicker jump requires some part of your brain to be different than the norm, and now doing that off a cliff or jump is the NORM for decent snowboarders.

C. Surfing requires strength and patience. Surfers have to earn their waves and don't get a free ride to the top, but once they're riding that wave, there's only so much they can do for 20 seconds, if they're even lucky to get that much time.

Which do you think is the most difficult among the three? Remember, all three of those disciplines, regardless of opinion, deserve respect unto their own.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts
I think snowboarding is more badass and surfing is probably more fun, but I think skate boarding is the hardest.
GiygasFanima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 GiygasFanima
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

Unicycling. I just can't see how some people can ride that thing everywhere they go.

Longest I rode was about 2 minutes.

Drizzt13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Drizzt13
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
Don't know about stakeboarding, since I haven't tried it, but in my opinion Surfing is probably the most difficult. However Snowboarding is more awesome.
steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 steppinrazor88
Member since 2006 • 14441 Posts
I've only had success at skateboading....never tried surfing or snowboarding...so I can't really say....
Ryeferd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ryeferd
Member since 2006 • 5198 Posts

Ive tried all three. I used to skate all the time before hurting my ankles one too many times. I go surfing every chance I get, though we don't have the best waves here in Florida. As for snowboarding, I've only tried it once while in North Carolina in Feb. 2006.

I think skateboarding is the most difficult of the three. Snowboarding came pretty easily to me. I was feeling pretty comfortable riding down the hill after just a few hours.

Avatar image for playstation_wii
playstation_wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 playstation_wii
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

I give respect to all three disciplines and don't think one is better than the other when you look at them overall. However, when you look at each of them I think that:

A. Skateboarding requires more precision and more technical skills than snowboarding or surfing. Flipping and twisting a board that's not attached to your feet takes a lot of practice.

B. Snowboarding requires more guts. Anyone can learn to snowboard, but to throw yourself off a fifty foot cliff or a huge table top kicker jump requires some part of your brain to be different than the norm, and now doing that off a cliff or jump is the NORM for decent snowboarders.

C. Surfing requires strength and patience. Surfers have to earn their waves and don't get a free ride to the top, but once they're riding that wave, there's only so much they can do for 20 seconds, if they're even lucky to get that much time.

Which do you think is the most difficult among the three? Remember, all three of those disciplines, regardless of opinion, deserve respect unto their own.

jt222_us
surfing is harder because of the sharks
MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
Snowboarding FTW. i love snowboarding. its hella fun! they are all badass sports. they all take guts to play
mi6ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mi6ops
Member since 2005 • 592 Posts
Hmmmm lets see what mr. wizard says " not good at surfing? ,fall into water ;not bad" ......"not good at snowboarding? , fall into nice cold snow"......not bad "not good at skateboarding? , fall into cement or head into brick wall" boy thats a tuffy , meh I going with snowboarding FTW :)
PapaGlide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 PapaGlide
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts
the chances of you dying doin ayone of those are all equal. I tried surfing and it took 7 hours to ride my first wave. The best 7 seconands of my life. Other than losing my virginity. It was awesome
clh_05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 clh_05
Member since 2005 • 442 Posts
Skateboarding is the hardest, snowboarding is the funnest. I just perfected my switch 360 flip. Yeah...been working on that for months.
steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 steppinrazor88
Member since 2006 • 14441 Posts

Skateboarding is the hardest, snowboarding is the funnest. I just perfected my switch 360 flip. Yeah...been working on that for months.clh_05

Doesn't it feel great when it finally comes together?? :)

schoeffmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 schoeffmaster
Member since 2005 • 10674 Posts

Unicycling. I just can't see how some people can ride that thing everywhere they go.

Longest I rode was about 2 minutes.

GiygasFanima
my dad can ride six miles on that thing....and its easy for him to do it too :o. Of course he has riden it for about thirty years...
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Skateboarding is the most difficult and snowboard is the easiest. I found snowboarding to be boring. Plus it's expensive. Surfing falls inbetween.

But then you grow up and don't have any time to do any of if. Not unless a tennis shoe company or equipment company pays you to do it. But that's only if you're good enough to make kids idolize you and buy the cloths & shoes you wear. And buy the equipment you use.

monkey2go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 monkey2go
Member since 2004 • 3760 Posts
ive done snowboarding and skateboarding..i can say that skateboarding is harder...snowboarding does require guts
stormtrooper32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 stormtrooper32
Member since 2004 • 2221 Posts
I used to skateboard, prolly about 3 years. I think skating is the hardest. I have been snowboarding for 6 years and that can be easy if you make it easy. But if you actually go off cliffs and huge jumps and such it can get pretty hard. For surfing I have never tryed it but it looks pretty difficult.
trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#17 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
I love snowboarding, and I quit skateboarding arond 5 years ago. Never been surfing. I think snowboarding is the hardest to learn though...u need to take a big pounding to your bottom( not in a sexual way ), in order to learn and master it.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I used to surf quite a bit, and I can tell you you better have good shoulder and neck muscle strength. It's an awkward position to consistently have your back arched like that with your head held up while paddling, not to mention on an unstable board for hours on end. Surfing takes a while to get into, but once you're proficient at it, know how to read the currents, riptides,and instinctively get to know the perfect spots to be at to get the best rides possible, it's like no other. Reefs can really suck though, as can Vana (sea urchins).

Anotherthing that kinda sucks about surfing is that depending on where you go, the other riders may become very agro if it's apparent you don't know what you're doing. Of course, some beaches are known for beginner spots, but if you rent a board as a novice and head out into someplace you shouldn't be or aren't skilled enough for, other surfers are going to let you know very quickly.

As for skateboarding: really, this has got to be the most difficult of the three, with the greatest repercussions for mistakes. How many bones has Tony Hawk broke? Must be dozens. Watching them flip the board like that is almost unbelievable. A really great skateboarder is awe-inspiring, IMO.

Snowboarding: haven't tried it, but want to. Looks cool though.

Yes.....I'd have to say skateboarding looks the most difficult, but as for personal preference and fun factor, it's surfing all the way.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

If you can skateboard wellyou can snowboard. It's much easier. You don't have to worry about the board when you 360 or 540 so it makes executing them much easier since you don't need to pay attention to the board. But snowboarding can be real sippery if you lean a little too far one way or the other. Atleast you don't fall on concrete. I take take the concrete anymore. My guess is when you're a kid you're bones are soft so it doesn't really hurt when you fall on the pavement.

michomcgarrh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 michomcgarrh
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Well, I think when you're younger, you don't have as far to fall either...lol. I'm just starting to get into skateboarding and snowboarding and have wanted to learn to surf since I was 12 (almost 15 years since then, and still haven't had the chance to try it). My reasoning was that skateboarding looks SO awesome and fun and challenging, but I agree that I would rather fall in the snow than on the pavement. I'm still trying to work up the courage to just leap into skateboarding...even though the board has been in my house for about 4 years now...lol. I know I'm a pansy/coward, but I am excited for snow season to start so I can at least start with the snowboarding.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Skating, god that hurts. Thank god i stoped doing it when i did :D

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Snowboarding out of those but i prefer skiing
metalpower08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 metalpower08
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts

out of all those surfing is definately the hardest.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts

I think snowboarding is more badass and surfing is probably more fun, but I think skate boarding is the hardest.needled24-7

Really?

Not taking "awesomeness" into account, only difficulty, I've never tried surfing, but between skateboarding and snowboarding, I thought skateboarding was way easier considering you weren't connected to your board.

Snowboarding was pretty difficult, I thought. I'd like to try surfing, but probably won't for a while considering there are no oceans in North Dakota.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts

Snowboarding out of those but i prefer skiingmarkop2003

Skiing is so much fun, I love it.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I would say surfing... asphalt you would be skateboarding on is fixed... the ocean's surface however....
Arctic_Grillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Arctic_Grillz
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
I would say surfing... asphalt you would be skateboarding on is fixed... the ocean's surface however.... raven_squad
Dont forget the sharks...
MiddMann93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MiddMann93
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts

This all Depends on how big your going Snowboarding is by far my best, Skating sorta here and there but the most technical stuff is beyond me and surfing barely at all cuz East Coast is very surfing deprived, but on a Pro scale the Big wave surfers who ride 25 30 footers out of a rope tow deffinately deserve my greatest respect over the biggest air anyone gets on a skateboard and a snowboard not sayin ppl like Danny Way and Terje Hakonsen arent nuts bc they deffinately are too

Ted_Jos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ted_Jos
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Excellent Stuff about Snow Boarding and skate boarding. I am crazy about snowboarding. I learnt it through http://www.snowboard101.com/
Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
I'll tell you right now that not anyone can snowboard. It probably requires the most determination to get the hang of,
swaggafied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 swaggafied
Member since 2010 • 391 Posts
Hmmm I would rank em from hardest to least, 1. Surfing 2. Skateboarding and Snowboarding This is however in terms of just the basics... So snowboarding just going down a hill and skateboarding is just pushing a board so I rank them equalish but I give snowboarding the "harderish" advantage.
Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
I used to snowboard a lot when i lived in Durango colorado and loved it but now im in Alabama and i cant skate or surf :( so I choose those two
Code-Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Code-Llama
Member since 2009 • 747 Posts
I've been skateboarding for about 12 years, surfed for 3 and I can say that skating is harder.. I never tried snowboard so meh.
taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

You should have asked which one would be the hardest to get good at. Mostly everyone could ride around on a skateboard without doing any kickflips or anything, but when you try to do trics aswell it gets WAY harder. Ive got no idea how hard surfing is but it seems really difficult. I tried Snowboarding for 10 mins before, i ride left foot forward. It was simple to turn left but i couldn't turn right, so i quit.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#35 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Having tried/done all 3, I'll rank them from easiest to hardest: Skiing, not very hard to learn, and it's much like riding a bike. I went 10 years between ski trips and had no problem remembering what to do within an hour. Snowboarding, much harder than skiing, but even when you bust your tail your still on snow. Skateboarding, hardest of all, while just riding straight on one is easy, anything else is difficult, takes a ton of practice, and when you fall, it's usually on concrete.
CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CosmicZombie
Member since 2010 • 1585 Posts

Skateboarding is the hardest by far.

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
I skateboard & snowboard and I reckon skateboarding is the most difficult. Always wanted to learn to surf :)
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Surfing seems like the hardest. Any one could get on a snowboard or skateboard and move straight in like 5 min. Not so with surfing.

Though skateboarders have the abnormal ability to attract painful accidents.

cheesyjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cheesyjon
Member since 2009 • 45844 Posts

I'd say surfing, cuz I can't do it worth diddly squat! :P

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
i'd say skateboarding is the hardest in that the injury from falling is usually more severe... hitting pavement tends to be worse than hitting snow or water.
cheesyjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cheesyjon
Member since 2009 • 45844 Posts

i'd say skateboarding is the hardest in that the injury from falling is usually more severe... hitting pavement tends to be worse than hitting snow or water.comp_atkins

Oh yeah. That's a good point. It's the hardest hitting.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#42 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

I never tried snowboarding or surfing but skating takes a few guts and practices sense there is a higher chance of you getting injured.

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
is the hardest. takes loads of practice and it has the most techniques. but snowboarding is a lot scarier and somewhat cooler looking. i think surfing is just a casual thing. but i much prefer skating
eimaJ22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 eimaJ22
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I do all three and surfing is easily the hardest, surfing a wave is like dropping into a moving quarter pipe, plus the ocean is dangerous, I've seen plenty of good surfers get pulled out by lifeguards after a bad bail and ive heard of people getting arms and legs broken in shore dumps.

Skateboarding has a steep learning curve but most people can learn to do basic tricks such as ollies and kickflips and anyone can ride one around.

Same goes with snowboarding, surfing for me took a much longer time to learn, you only have a two second window to get it right on a wave.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#45 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Skateboarding is really easy, I got used to it in 5 minutes when I friend taught me and I tried some tricks. Its really easy, but off course I didn't do the real hard one.
ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts

Skateboarding is probably the most difficult and hard hitting once you get into the more advanced, riskier areas. My non-existant tailbone can atest to that. I miss him. :(

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
Skateboarding in my opinion,i haven't try the other 2 anyways.. and i like more skateboarding because i can do it like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5tSv0x8jF0 that's me few years ago ( i don't use that big clothes anymore :P,but i still use little bit more smaller :D),but i don't do stairs much anymore,i skate mostly ledges/curbs,hubbas and handrails.
yentlequible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 yentlequible
Member since 2009 • 2620 Posts
I skated for over 2 years and got almost nowhere. I could only do like 2 tricks... After about half an hour of snowboarding, I could ride without falling down and by the end of the day I was even doing some jumps. I can't speak for surfing though since I have never gone.
RearNakedChoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RearNakedChoke
Member since 2009 • 1699 Posts

Purely in terms of learning how to stand up on the board, surfing.

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

Skating, because concrete is much more painful that snow or water. (Yes, I know that snow is water)