Russia cracks down on pastafarians.

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] In all honesty, these people wouldn't be out in the streets mocking religion if said religion wasn't trying to permeate society with their beliefs. Its a satirical response. If people can't take a little criticism then they shouldn't be trying to promote their beliefs. People have different views on what 'respectful' would actually entail. It would become too muddled.

This. Personally, I think that Pastafarians are f***ing idiots. But here's the thing...when religious institutions come in and try to stomp the pastafarians out, that only serves to validate what the pastafarians were doing. An analogy: if you're walking down the street wearing a tinfoil hat and carrying a sign about how the police are just agents of oppression, then the best thing anyone can do is to stand there and let you make an ass out of yourself. If the police stand there and point and laugh and say, "hey, he's got the right to look like an idiot", then you're just walking around looking like a dumbass. But if the police see you, and then run over and beat you with clubs, they've just validated what you were saying. Now people are gonna say, "holy $hit, he was right." Pastafarians are morons. However, they should be allowed to make themselves look like morons. Allowing them to speak freely is the best way to prove that they're full of $hit. But when religious institutions see pastafarians mocking them, and are then able to exert such control as have them arrested and prosecuted, all that does is prove that the pastafarians actually have a point.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

are people really arguing that freedom of speech and freedom of religion are bad things?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

are people really arguing that freedom of speech and freedom of religion are bad things?

lostrib
Yep. I'm kinda shocked in this day and age. It's 2013 isn't it?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

foxhound_fox

Yep. I'm kinda shocked in this day and age. It's 2013 isn't it?

I'm not shocked.

"The matrix is a system.  People are so dependent on the system they will fight to protect it."

Seems fitting in these situations

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]I really don't think what I'm saying here is that hard to grasp. If you don't agree with the beliefs of some people its ok, just don't rub it in their faces that's all. This works both ways, for the religious and nonreligious and for any two parties disagreeing on something that is completely intellectual, philosophical or spiritual.GazaAli
And all you have to do is turn away from that protest or parade or whatever. That's the point. Ignore speech you don't like or speak out against it.

I'd do that no problem, but it seems some other people are unable to for some reason. You won't be able to make these people disappear and it would be dangerous to let such tension and hostility build up in a society, it serves no purpose. Was it that important for these people to do what they did? How would you feel if I marched the streets of the U.S wearing a fake explosive belt while rubbing the U.S constitution against my balls?

It would not make me feel anything, but even if it did, it would be irrelevant. If you are not committing an act of aggression or threatening to do so there is absolutely no way it is okay to use force to stop you. It is easy to defend the freedom of people you agree with. Being consistent in your beliefs means defending the freedom of EVERYONE and at ALL TIMES. The only acts that should be prohibited in any case, anywhere are acts which initiate or threaten violence against the persons or properties of others. You do not have a right to be free from hearing speech that may offend; the one and only right that man has is the right to be free from aggression. I reject the notion of "society" outright and I think it's ridiculous that it's commonly accepted that some people in "society" have to be persecuted to placate the delicate sensibilities of others. Society is nothing more than a collection of individuals, and if some individuals have rights then all individuals have rights. If we allow the rights of even one person to be violated then none of us have any rights at all.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I believe in freedom of speech that preserves respect and maintains the social fabric of a society.GazaAli
e5203832.png

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Russia can go to hell.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58511 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]I really don't think what I'm saying here is that hard to grasp. If you don't agree with the beliefs of some people its ok, just don't rub it in their faces that's all. This works both ways, for the religious and nonreligious and for any two parties disagreeing on something that is completely intellectual, philosophical or spiritual.GazaAli
And all you have to do is turn away from that protest or parade or whatever. That's the point. Ignore speech you don't like or speak out against it.

I'd do that no problem, but it seems some other people are unable to for some reason. You won't be able to make these people disappear and it would be dangerous to let such tension and hostility build up in a society, it serves no purpose. Was it that important for these people to do what they did? How would you feel if I marched the streets of the U.S wearing a fake explosive belt while rubbing the U.S constitution against my balls?

lol that'd be pretty awesome, actually.  Obviously you would be imprisoned because the Constitution is a valuable, historical document (to us, at least :P ), but lets say you did it with a US flag instead.

That is the nice thing about free speech.  You could do that.  And we could hate you for it.  And people that threatened your life WOULD BE ARRESTED because your right to rub the flag on your balls and wear a toy explosive belt is protected.

C'mon...isn't that a beautiful thing?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] Which is something I have absolutely nothing against. If religion somewhere is affecting how nonreligious folks live their lives I do acknowledge their right to voice their opposition and fight back if they must. There is just no need to incite hatred in society by patronizing others you disagree with. It just serves no purpose and is not in the benefit of anyone.GazaAli
Freedom of religion is a basic human right. If someone else's religion offends you that's your problem.

That's out of context. Pastafarianism is a "religion" that has been founded for the sole purpose of being a satire and a parody of Christianity.

So?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"] Freedom of religion is a basic human right. If someone else's religion offends you that's your problem.the_bi99man

That's out of context. Pastafarianism is a "religion" that has been founded for the sole purpose of being a satire and a parody of Christianity.

So?

Apparently Christians can't appreciate satire

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I'd do that no problem, but it seems some other people are unable to for some reason.

So, the overly sensitive people who can't control their emotions should get their way? Sounds about right.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#62 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
[...] wear a toy explosive belt is protected.mrbojangles25
Technically no. That could be seen as an impending threat of injury against others. Toy or not.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#63 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Russia: No fun allowed since 1922.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Fvck russia. I don't expect anything less from a mob run state.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#65 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
It is all mocking Christianity, is it not?
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 chrisrooR
It is all mocking Christianity, is it not?BranKetra
It doesn't matter. Free speech and expression is a basic test for how modern and progressive a country is.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 wis3boi

It is all mocking Christianity, is it not?BranKetra

You cannot suppress something under the veil of 'being offended', freedom of speech goes both ways

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]It is all mocking Christianity, is it not?chrisrooR
It doesn't matter. Free speech and expression is a basic test for how modern and progressive a country is.

Russian law proves it does matter. Related to that, truly free speech would be chaos as people show time and time again, so there are limits to what is tolerated for the benefit of society.

You cannot suppress something under the veil of 'being offended', freedom of speech goes both ways

wis3boi
Russia can and is. "Romanovs fellow Pastafarians are falling victim to a recently introduced law that bans insulting the religious feelings of believers."
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

BranKetra

Russia can and is.

thegerg is not pleased.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="BranKetra"] Russian law proves it does matter. Related to that, truly free speech would be chaos as people show time and time again, so there are limits to what is tolerated for the benefit of society. [QUOTE="wis3boi"]

chrisrooR

Russia can and is. "Romanovs fellow Pastafarians are falling victim to a recently introduced law that bans insulting the religious feelings of believers."

UHHHHHHHM, I don't think we should use Russia as the gold standard for free expression at this point.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 wis3boi

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] It doesn't matter. Free speech and expression is a basic test for how modern and progressive a country is. BranKetra
Russian law proves it does matter. Related to that, truly free speech would be chaos as people show time and time again, so there are limits to what is tolerated for the benefit of society.

wis3boi

I know they are doing it, it's russia...they fail at almost everything

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 branketra

UHHHHHHHM, I don't think we should use Russia as the gold standard for free expression at this point.

THE_DRUGGIE

Okay

I do not consider any country I know of which is in existence today to be worthy of comparison to gold.

p>I know they are doing it, it's russia...they fail at almost everything

wis3boi

How is this a failure?

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
Because Russia's just had a pristine record when it comes to human rights in recent weeks.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 wis3boi

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

BranKetra

Okay

I do not consider any country I know of which is in existence today to be worthy of comparison to gold.

p>I know they are doing it, it's russia...they fail at almost everything

wis3boi

How is this a failure?

russia will do anything to shift blame and put down others to sweep their own really gripping issues under the rug

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
Gaza logic: It's wrong to mock people of one religion because it may hurt their feelings, but it's okay to arrest people of another religion even though it destroys their lives. Also, let us remember that Christianity is genuinely stupid set of beliefs and therefore deserves to be ridiculed.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 chrisrooR

lol Branketra is just being a shit disturber.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

What Russia should really be working on is improving road safety and getting drunk drivers the hell off the road. Or they all need their eyes checked. The corrupt police need to take a hike, as well.

I'll just leave this for your entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_yVh-OqYw

gamerguru100
I love watching Russian driver videos. They are without a doubt the most terrible motorists in the world.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 THE_DRUGGIE

lol Branketra is just being a shit disturber.

chrisrooR

He must be sent to the gulags!

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Gaza logic: It's wrong to mock people of one religion because it may hurt their feelings, but it's okay to arrest people of another religion even though it destroys their lives. Also, let us remember that Christianity is genuinely stupid set of beliefs and therefore deserves to be ridiculed.

I agree with Lai? What is this black magic?
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

What Russia should really be working on is improving road safety and getting drunk drivers the hell off the road. Or they all need their eyes checked. The corrupt police need to take a hike, as well.

ferrari2001
I love watching Russian driver videos. They are without a doubt the most terrible motorists in the world.

Finally, someone enjoyed the link I posted. Thank you, sir. :P
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 wis3boi

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

gamerguru100

Can't tell you how many times I've seen russian dashboard cams of people getting cut off in traffic just to have a guy fire off a fire rifle rounds out the window to rub salt in the wound.  Place is fvcked up

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"] I love watching Russian driver videos. They are without a doubt the most terrible motorists in the world. wis3boi

Can't tell you how many times I've seen russian dashboard cams of people getting cut off in traffic just to have a guy fire off a fire rifle rounds out the window to rub salt in the wound.  Place is fvcked up

Agreed. America is pretty screwed up, but Russia is really phucking screwed up.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Russian law proves it does matter. Related to that, truly free speech would be chaos as people show time and time again, so there are limits to what is tolerated for the benefit of society.BranKetra

So you don't believe in Freedom of Speech?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 branketra
russia will do anything to shift blame and put down others to sweep their own really gripping issues under the rugwi3boi
Maybe Russians think this is an important issue relevant to the stability of their nation. As a non-Russian, I can only guess.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 branketra
I understand the value of speech and what it is capable of accomplishing. That is why I think sometimes limiting what people say is beneficial to the prosperity of nations people, and culture. On one side, people are totally for speech without limitation. On the other, there are some who want speech to be toally controlled. Then there are people like me who understand the quality of speech with limitations in cases meant only to cause divisiveness, rules of a household, congregation, or organization.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I understand the value of speech and what it is capable of accomplishing. That is why I think sometimes limiting what people say is beneficial to the prosperity of nations people, and culture. On one side, people are totally for speech without limitation. On the other, there are some who want speech to be toally controlled. Then there are people like me who understand the quality of speech with limitations in cases meant only to cause divisiveness, rules of a household, congregation, or organization.BranKetra

Bolded:  All these things are incredibly vague.  So because people have their feelings hurt causing some divisiveness we should outlaw some speech?

Total fvcking bullshit. 

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 branketra
Are you Russian? If not, what right do you have to judge them?
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Are you Russian? If not, what right do you have to judge them?BranKetra
That makes no sense. Of course we can judge the Russian government. Just as we can judge shitty government actions across the globe and through out history. Please tell me you're trolling.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Are you Russian? If not, what right do you have to judge them?BranKetra
Everyone has the right to judge. Whether those judgments should be taken seriously is another matter.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Gaza logic: It's wrong to mock people of one religion because it may hurt their feelings, but it's okay to arrest people of another religion even though it destroys their lives. Also, let us remember that Christianity is genuinely stupid set of beliefs and therefore deserves to be ridiculed.Laihendi
8===================D (_)(_)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Are you Russian? If not, what right do you have to judge them?HoolaHoopMan
That makes no sense. Of course we can judge the Russian government. Just as we can judge shitty government actions across the globe and through out history. Please tell me you're trolling.

So you are not Russian. Of course you can, but do you expect something to come from your judgements? If so, that is infringing on the sovereignty of Russian. It is not your country. America has shown in the past decade that bad things come from a world police even if it is a pseudo one.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#92 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I wonder if Italy will ever crack down on this "pastafarianism", or maybe it doesn't really have much presence there (actually does "pastafarianism" have anything other than a negligible presence anywhere?). It's a waste of good pasta.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Gaza logic: It's wrong to mock people of one religion because it may hurt their feelings, but it's okay to arrest people of another religion even though it destroys their lives. Also, let us remember that Christianity is genuinely stupid set of beliefs and therefore deserves to be ridiculed.GazaAli

8===================D (_)(_)

no motorboating on these premises

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 chrisrooR
I understand the value of speech and what it is capable of accomplishing. That is why I think sometimes limiting what people say is beneficial to the prosperity of nations people, and culture. On one side, people are totally for speech without limitation. On the other, there are some who want speech to be toally controlled. Then there are people like me who understand the quality of speech with limitations in cases meant only to cause divisiveness, rules of a household, congregation, or organization.BranKetra
Any kind of control over speech because "someones feelings were hurt" is insane. You're actually insane if you think that laws should be in favour of those who have their feelings 'hurt'. I might not agree with neo-nazis saying what they do, but I'm going to damn well defend their right to say it. How else can you have a conversation or debate with them if you never let them spew their controversial views?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 wis3boi

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]I understand the value of speech and what it is capable of accomplishing. That is why I think sometimes limiting what people say is beneficial to the prosperity of nations people, and culture. On one side, people are totally for speech without limitation. On the other, there are some who want speech to be toally controlled. Then there are people like me who understand the quality of speech with limitations in cases meant only to cause divisiveness, rules of a household, congregation, or organization.chrisrooR
Any kind of control over speech because "someones feelings were hurt" is insane. You're actually insane if you think that laws should be in favour of those who have their feelings 'hurt'. I might not agree with neo-nazis saying what they do, but I'm going to damn well defend their right to say it. How else can you have a conversation or debate with them if you never let them spew their controversial views?

way, WAY too many people don't get this.  You have a full right to express your feelings all day and all night as long as you don't harm anyone.  I have the full right to either not listen, criticize it, mock it, joke about it.....and you can do it right back.  Nobody can demand respect for any belief or idea....it is earned.  What you don't need to earn respect for is your ability to say it.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 chrisrooR
Another point to consider; WHO decides where the line is drawn in terms of what's ok to say and what isn't? Would you have that power Branketra? Do you see how obviously flawed this is, considering you might have a homophobic, racist or some other extreme form of ignorant person in power making these decisions? Russia is currently a prime example of this, by openly arresting homosexuals and people who criticize the church.
dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 dude_brahmski
Member since 2013 • 472 Posts

Fvcking commie savages.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 chrisrooR

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="BranKetra"]I understand the value of speech and what it is capable of accomplishing. That is why I think sometimes limiting what people say is beneficial to the prosperity of nations people, and culture. On one side, people are totally for speech without limitation. On the other, there are some who want speech to be toally controlled. Then there are people like me who understand the quality of speech with limitations in cases meant only to cause divisiveness, rules of a household, congregation, or organization.wis3boi

way, WAY too many people don't get this.  You have a full right to express your feelings all day and all night as long as you don't harm anyone.  I have the full right to either not listen, criticize it, mock it, joke about it.....and you can do it right back.  Nobody can demand respect for any belief or idea....it is earned.  What you don't need to earn respect for is your ability to say it.

+1

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] Any kind of control over speech because "someones feelings were hurt" is insane. You're actually insane if you think that laws should be in favour of those who have their feelings 'hurt'. I might not agree with neo-nazis saying what they do, but I'm going to damn well defend their right to say it. How else can you have a conversation or debate with them if you never let them spew their controversial views? chrisrooR

+1

I miss this man....hitchslapping everyone