ROCK & ROLL is DEAD

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]

[QUOTE="FalcoLX"]I understand the complaints about it. The Colour and the Shape is probably their best.

Uncle_Uzi

Without a doubt. It's got so many great songs. Most of those songs could easily go head to head with Nirvana material.

Hah, anyone who has listened to more than five grunge bands will tell you that Nirvana was easily the least deserving of their ill-fated stardom. So many bands put out so much better work it's hard to fathom why Nirvana has always been the poster group for grunge.

Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam (not true grunge), Helmet, Stone Temple Pilots, the list goes on.

I still prefer Nirvana over all those bands you listed.

Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

The Mars Volta...

nZiFFLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 nZiFFLe
Member since 2009 • 1481 Posts

underneath all the mainstream crap, there is actually some hidden gems out there. saying that rock n roll is dead is a bit of an overstatement, but i will say that today's rock n roll will never compare to past decades.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#154 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

While nine out of my ten favorite bands are all groups from the 80s or even before that I disagree that Rock & Roll is dead. There are some pretty good bands nowadays even though most of the ones who are mainstream are awful. Rock is a very wide genre so it is bound to have some terrible bands and sub-genres under it. As for a CD in the 200s that is as good as those you mentioned I would go for Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Death, it is an impressive album.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Nifty_Shark

underneath all the mainstream crap, there is actually some hidden gems out there. saying that rock n roll is dead is a bit of an overstatement, but i will say that today's rock n roll will never compare to past decades.

nZiFFLe

It's more or less dead for our parents if I may say. They just can't relate to the current rock sound or maybe they just are out of touch since they never were big music fans to begin with. I mean seriously they stopped buying lots of albums sometime before the grunge era ended.

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#156 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts

[QUOTE="BeepBoop16"]

[QUOTE="Morning_Revival"]Metallica is one of the most over-rated bands ever, and the funny thing is that theyre not even that good to begin with.Darth-Caedus

Name me an album better than Master of Puppets and I will consider your comment.

Lets see here......Ride The Lightning and Kill Em All Dreaming Neon Black, The Godless Endeavor, The politics Of Ecstacy, and Nevermore by Nevermore M-16, Agent Orange, and Persecution Mania by Sodom Pleasure To Kill, Enemy Of God, and Violent Revolution by Kreator Practice What You Preach by Testament Shovel Headed Kill Machine, Atrocity Exebition, and Tempo Of The Damned by Exodus .......I could go on and on....

peace sells and rust in peace by megadeth

death's human, individual thought patterns and sound of perseverance

sepultura's beneath the remains and chaos AD

voivod's nothingface

judas priest's stained ****/p>

iron maiden's powerslave

testament albums , a lot of them

if metallica or master of puppets are in your top 5 metal albums / bands list.. their is an 80% chance you are a metal noob and just havn't heard enough, or you dont have taste / think exodus and slayer are too hardcore.

Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#157 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts

I 100% disagree with you. Cancer Bats are awesome, Gallows are awesome, Soulfly rocks hard, and Rise Against's album Siren Song of the Counter Culture is one of the best albums ever recorded. Those are just a few. Slipknot is awesome too.

Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts

Hey hey my my rock and roll can never die.

lobodob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 lobodob
Member since 2004 • 2584 Posts
Lol, rock is alive and kicking man :P Timeless albums? Origins of Symmetry by Muse, Terminal Romance by Matt Mays among others. I love the rock of the 2000s!
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Tool, stone temple pilots, queens of the stone age, radiohead, and NIN are all still together, I think i'll be okay
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="Uncle_Uzi"]

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]

Without a doubt. It's got so many great songs. Most of those songs could easily go head to head with Nirvana material.

Nifty_Shark

Hah, anyone who has listened to more than five grunge bands will tell you that Nirvana was easily the least deserving of their ill-fated stardom. So many bands put out so much better work it's hard to fathom why Nirvana has always been the poster group for grunge.

Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam (not true grunge), Helmet, Stone Temple Pilots, the list goes on.

Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > STP > Nirvana > Pearl Jam (tool is the best band of the era, even tho it is not grunge)
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Nifty_Shark

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]

[QUOTE="Uncle_Uzi"]

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > STP > Nirvana > Pearl Jam (tool is the best band of the era, even tho it is not grunge)

For me it's:

Nirvana > Pearl Jam > Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > STP (I really can't take too much Tool)

REA24409

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#163 REA24409
Member since 2007 • 863 Posts

I agree with you, Rock and Roll is dead, all these new rock bands ruined it. It used to be good, no it's just annoying

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
I agree with the TC.
Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#165 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts
For some reason I thought this topic said RICK ROLL is DEAD.
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#166 I_pWnzz_YoU
Member since 2007 • 6032 Posts

*Looks down*

Oh hey, whaddya know.

CrazyyyDylan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#167 CrazyyyDylan
Member since 2007 • 726 Posts
It is definately not dead. Trent Reznor has released 4 albums this decade and all but one were spectacular (The Slip). With Teeth was a great follow up to The Fragile and while it did spawn a couple of bad songs the album definitely has lasting appeal. Year Zero was a great concept album and may have been better than The Downward Spiral had he not recycled some beats. Ghosts was a great instrumental album with lots of variety and was a great steal at its price. While The Slip was just uugggh
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts

well IMO Underoath-Cries of The Past is one of the best albums in a long while (it came out in 2000) you will not find it on Zune though or any mainstream music program as it is dicscontinued. You will have to get it off the internet.

WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts

[QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"]

Three albums you should check out.

The Sham Mirrors by Arcturus, In a Flesh Aquarium by Unexpect, Traced in Air by Cynic. That's three... And the awesome part of that is that I could name over 200 more.

dhyce

Don't really know why you're bothering, its' his opinion, no use debating it. I don't even like Master of Puppets, so, there you go, differing opinions are swell.

Plus, Unexpect will NOT be everyones cup of tea, such an extremely Avant-Garde group that many people just hear noise when listening to them. (I love In A Flesh Aquarium, by the way.) Plus, I'd definitely recommend Focus over Traced In Air.

A better fit for debating Metallica would be mentioning Overkill or Motorhead.

I wouldn't recommend one over another. They are both available, and they are both spectacular. Cynic impresses me fully with both. Although the first one is what got me into them, I don't appreciate the second one any less. It's a bit less heavier of course, but insanely impressive music. As for Motorhead? You are kidding right? They aren't thrash metal. A better comparison would be Slayer, Kreator, Testament, Exodus, which all have at least one album better than that Metallica album, imo, anyway it's all about opinions... I bothered because I wanted to express my opinion. Then again the bands I listed weren't thrash either, but he didn't say thrash.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#170 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
It's all based on opinions. Maybe, just maybe, someone finds these new age rock groups just as appealing as older rock.
dadou_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 dadou_gamer
Member since 2009 • 78 Posts

WHAT???? Rock n Rollwill conquer all the decenies!!!! I know that at the present we cannot find Rock n roll as in the past but this genre of music will stay alive forever!

maidonian2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 maidonian2000
Member since 2009 • 66 Posts
Had the TC replaced Van Halen - 1984 with Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction and Pearl Jam - Ten for Stone Temple Pilots - Purple then I might be in full agreement. I'm not a massive fan of Wolfmother, but I think their album is probably the closest to the best "rock" album I have heard, especially "Woman". I was blown away when I first heard that song. I would also say Breed77 - Cultura. It's not a massive album and I don't think they did very well in USA compared to Europe but that album in particular rocks the socks imho (bit more of a metal sound but check out the song La Ultima Hora). Velvet Revolver - Contraband kicked some butt too and briefly brought back rock n' roll and I would say Foo Fighters for the most part still carry the torch. Iron Maiden still produce kick-ass albums.
BeepBoop16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 BeepBoop16
Member since 2008 • 562 Posts

[QUOTE="BeepBoop16"]

[QUOTE="Morning_Revival"] Name me an album better than Master of Puppets and I will consider your comment.

Darth-Caedus

Lets see here......Ride The Lightning and Kill Em All Dreaming Neon Black, The Godless Endeavor, The politics Of Ecstacy, and Nevermore by Nevermore M-16, Agent Orange, and Persecution Mania by Sodom Pleasure To Kill, Enemy Of God, and Violent Revolution by Kreator Practice What You Preach by Testament Shovel Headed Kill Machine, Atrocity Exebition, and Tempo Of The Damned by Exodus .......I could go on and on....

Ride The Lightning is great but not on par with Puppets. Kill em all has a good sound but the songs are too similar and not so complex.

Everything else is mediocre (Some are better than Kill 'em all), maybe a few good songs on each album.

peace sells and rust in peace by megadeth

death's human, individual thought patterns and sound of perseverance

sepultura's beneath the remains and chaos AD

voivod's nothingface

judas priest's stained ****/p>

iron maiden's powerslave

testament albums , a lot of them

if metallica or master of puppets are in your top 5 metal albums / bands list.. their is an 80% chance you are a metal noob and just havn't heard enough, or you dont have taste / think exodus and slayer are too hardcore.

nimatoad2000

Peace Sells, no. Rust in Peace, close contender.

The Death albums are all great too, as are the Iron Maiden and Judas Priest ones.

Metallica and Master of Puppets are in my top 5 metal albums list. There's a 100% you are a metal elitist. I've heard plenty as there's lots of great albums, but not many match Pupperts quality song-for-song. Rust In Peace was a good suggestion. Also, neither Slayer nor Exodus are too hardcore, though they are repetetive (I like them in short bursts, wouldn't listen to an album all the way through).

fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 fiscope
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts

Rock & Roll is not dead, it has merelybeen knocked from the limelight.

I think most people simply prefer the subtleties of Alternative over themacho flair of Rock and Roll.

PerilousWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#175 PerilousWolf
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts

Rock and Roll has evolved into a far more complex and aggresive genre known as Metal. And its far from dead.

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

You obviously dont care to much about rock if your looking at the sales charts. Go to a local pub and watch real bands.