ROCK & ROLL is DEAD

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Uncle_Uzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Uncle_Uzi
Member since 2007 • 1371 Posts

Really. It is.

Name one rock album released during the 2000's that is as timeless as Pearl Jam's Ten for the 90's, Van Halen's 1984 in the 80's, Led Zeppelin's IV in the 70's, or Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced? in the 60's. Don't forget Elvis in the 50's.

Just realize that the only rock and roll that sells these days is feux "hard" rock like Nickelback, childish pop rock like All American Rejects, and horrid, mainstream metal like Slipknot. Punk? Emo? Kill me know please. The industry has killed the idea of album oriented work, and replaced it with a major emphasis on singles. Nowadays, an album is required to only have one or two big singles to be regarded as good among casual listeners. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Yes. I said it. Rock and roll today is dead. There is no emotion in it, there is no style to it, and most importantly, there is no integrity to it.

Bands like Metallica, Pearl Jam and Rush are the only ones around today to keep its heart barely pumping. As soon as these last few bands dissolve, as we all know they eventually will, the true rock movement will dissolve into the past. WE should all be thankful that iTunes and Zune and Napster will still carry it, so we, the people who have known true rock, can continue appreciating it.

Unless record companies stop with the commercialization of music, eventually all of it will die.

Agree/Disagree?

geodisicdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 geodisicdome
Member since 2005 • 13663 Posts
Disagree. I'm in no mood for arguments, though, as it appears you are fairly set on your opinion.
Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

I only really like modern rock - Incubus, Muse, Funeral for a Friend...

hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
How are The All American Rejects childish? You seem to state a lot, but don't back things up with facts, just opinions. In my opinion, I think you're totally wrong, but I doubt you'll change your mind.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
I listen to and love mostly cl@ssic rock, but even I disagree with that statement. There are still a few great rock bands left, like Queens of the Stone Age. Just look past the mainstream crap.
Uncle_Uzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Uncle_Uzi

until someone can name an album that answers my first question, my opinions are practically a pool of drying cement, and I'm lounging in it.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LZ71

until someone can name an album that answers my first question, my opinions are practically a pool of drying cement, and I'm lounging in it.

Uncle_Uzi
Well it's sort of obvious that you won't change your mind no matter what anyone says, so I don't think it matters what we say.
robbedquick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robbedquick
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts
i havent been rolled in months. so it may be dead
chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts
Well i personally think pearl jam is one of the most overated bands ever, I dont consider it timeless. Music is subjective as such i dont need to prove you wrong your entitled to our opinion
Uncle_Uzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Uncle_Uzi

[QUOTE="Uncle_Uzi"]

LZ71

Well it's sort of obvious that you won't change your mind no matter what anyone says, so I don't think it matters what we say.

No seriously, please give me an album. I have Zune and I can go listen to the entire thing for free. I made this topic in a heavy handed manner, and I would love to be disproved. It's just that I haven't found anything from the 2000's that has come close to the records of old.

Avatar image for NihilSleighride
NihilSleighride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NihilSleighride
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

While true rock & roll is slowly fading away it can still be found. listen to turbonegro, they are one of the best rock and roll bands. period. but yea its pretty much dead tho lol.

*^&* i hate our generation.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LZ71
[QUOTE="Uncle_Uzi"]

[QUOTE="LZ71"][QUOTE="Uncle_Uzi"]

No seriously, please give me an album. I have Zune and I can go listen to the entire thing for free. I made this topic in a heavy handed manner, and I would love to be disproved. It's just that I haven't found anything from the 2000's that has come close to the records of old.

Well a new album I absolutely love is QotSA's Lullabies to Paralyze, but again, you probably won't like it as much as I do. You have your tastes, and they won't change no matter what I post. Personally, I dislike Pearl Jam all together and Van Halen's 1984 isn't that great, but that's just my opinion, and you have yours, so it makes no sense it trying to prove you wrong.
Uncle_Uzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Uncle_Uzi

I'm actually jamming out to some Queens right now.

Tell me why Pearl Jam isn't good. Same with Van Halen. Both are American Icons......

warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts

Nice rant. I would say that the album is dead due to mp3 generation. I mean Smashing Pumpkins; Zietgeist album is better than all the albums you listed, but we are dealing with opinions on a very subjective matter. Nobody will "win" this discussion.

warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 warbmxjohn

Tell me why Pearl Jam isn't good. Same with Van Halen. Both are American Icons......

Uncle_Uzi
So is Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake that doesn't mean everyone likes their music.
Paranoidguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Paranoidguy
Member since 2005 • 47 Posts

tc, my band has the same mindset.

call us in over our heads, but i think we could change the music industry from what it is.

we're gonna try, at least. lol

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LZ71
[QUOTE="Uncle_Uzi"]

For Pearl Jam, I just don't like them. I can't get into their music, it just kind of bores me. It's just nothing special. And I do like Van Halen, it's just that 1984 isn't that amazing to me. Tell you the truth, I'd rather listen to Soundgarden than either of them, but that's me, and that's where you're missing the point. We both have differing music tastes, and nothing it going to change that. You can be happy with your Pearl Jam and Van Halen and have your opinions, and I'll jam to what I like.
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#18 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Uncle_Uzi
You just want justification to validate your opinions. No point in trying to persuade you otherwise. And I'd take Mastodon or Clutch over Van Halen or Led Zepplin any day.
Uncle_Uzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Uncle_Uzi

[QUOTE="Uncle_Uzi"]

LZ71

For Pearl Jam, I just don't like them. I can't get into their music, it just kind of bores me. It's just nothing special. And I do like Van Halen, it's just that 1984 isn't that amazing to me. Tell you the truth, I'd rather listen to Soundgarden than either of them, but that's me, and that's where you're missing the point. We both have differing music tastes, and nothing it going to change that. You can be happy with your Pearl Jam and Van Halen and have your opinions, and I'll jam to what I like.

HAHAHAHAHAHA that's actually really funny. Soundgarden is actually one of my favorite bands, right up there with TOOL.

I'll tell you my top 5 favorite bands, 1. Soundgarden, 2. TOOL, 3. Led Zeppelin, 4. Pearl Jam, and 5. Sepultura. Any more match ups between you and I?

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LZ71

HAHAHAHAHAHA that's actually really funny. Soundgarden is actually one of my favorite bands, right up there with TOOL.

I'll tell you my top 5 favorite bands, 1. Soundgarden, 2. TOOL, 3. Led Zeppelin, 4. Pearl Jam, and 5. Sepultura. Any more match ups between you and I?

Uncle_Uzi

Not a fan of Tool really, and I've never heard of Sepultura. My top five would be

• Led Zeppelin
  • AC/DC
  • Pink Floyd
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Doors
Anarchy4hire82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Anarchy4hire82
Member since 2009 • 828 Posts

Please don't put punk and emo in the same sentence, as emo is the worst thing to happen to music since disco

The_Solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 The_Solid
Member since 2008 • 1500 Posts
1)ACDC("T.N.T.") 2)Metallica(It's a rich tapestry) 3)Jimi Hendrix("Purple Haze") 4)The Doors("Riders on the Storm") 5)RHCP("Give it away now") This are my favorite bands and their best songs IMO. I listen to rap and i am trying to branch out.So forgive me if the list is junk.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
Metal is a subgenre of rock. These days are, arguably, the best days of metal since the 80s. Therefore, rock is not dead, because metal is not dead.
Avatar image for deactivated-59be76f5a5388
deactivated-59be76f5a5388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59be76f5a5388
Member since 2006 • 11372 Posts
In the words of ACDC, "rock and roll ain't gonna die."
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

What about Radiohead. Muse, Incubus (1998-2002 years), Queens of the Stoneage or System of a Down? I don't think Rock & Roll is dead. Its just mutated like its always done. I'm sure if you were this age back in 1991 you'd be saying "Man, give me some Sex Pistols. Not this Nirvana crap!"

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Rock 'n' roll ain't noise pollution Rock 'n' roll ain't gonna die Rock 'n' roll ain't noise pollution Rock 'n' roll it will survive ^This
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chessmaster1989

In the words of ACDC, "rock and roll ain't gonna die."Hyper_Hedgehog

You beat me to it :cry:

redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
In the words of ACDC, "rock and roll ain't gonna die."Hyper_Hedgehog
In the words of Manowar, "The gods made Heavy Metal, and its never gonna die" ;)
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="Uncle_Uzi"]

LZ71

Not a fan of Tool really, and I've never heard of Sepultura. My top five would be

• Led Zeppelin
  • AC/DC
  • Pink Floyd
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Doors

Those first four are all great, although I'm not very familiar with The Doors.

My top five bands are

1. AC/DC

2. Aerosmith

3. Bruce Spirngsteen

4. Black Sabbath

5. The Eagles

Omega_Zero69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 Omega_Zero69
Member since 2006 • 13668 Posts
that may be true but it will never die people get their inspiration from old style rock and roll
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chessmaster1989

1)ACDC("T.N.T.")The_Solid

Hmm, interesting choice for ACDC's best song. I like it, but my top two are definitely Back in Black and Hells Bells.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thepwninator
[QUOTE="Hyper_Hedgehog"]In the words of ACDC, "rock and roll ain't gonna die."redstormrisen
In the words of Manowar, "The gods made Heavy Metal, and its never gonna die" ;)

Fighting the world every single day Fighting the world for the right to play HEAVY METAL in my plane I'm fighting for the matter cause it's here to stay! *insert chorus of "fighting fighting fighting the world, I've been fighting the world" x 10000 here*
-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

Lenny Kravitz beat you to it... Rock & Roll is Dead

but while we're at it...

Hip Hop Is Dead

Punk Is Dead

Jazz is Dead

Yup. Music is dead. We're going back to peruvian chants. That's all that's left.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="Hyper_Hedgehog"]In the words of ACDC, "rock and roll ain't gonna die."thepwninator

Fighting the world every single day Fighting the world for the right to play HEAVY METAL in my plane I'm fighting for the matter cause it's here to stay! *insert chorus of "fighting fighting fighting the world, I've been fighting the world" x 10000 here*

Makin' movies, makin' songs and fightin' round the world.

What a glorious way to spend the day fightin' round the world.

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Nevermore, Ayreon, Evergrey, Sylvan......I could go on, and on, and on, I would say music is even better now then it was back then.
Avatar image for ConkerAndBerri2
ConkerAndBerri2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 ConkerAndBerri2
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

How are The All American Rejects childish? You seem to state a lot, but don't back things up with facts, just opinions. In my opinion, I think you're totally wrong, but I doubt you'll change your mind.hokies1313
I think hes saying theyre childish because of their lyrics, imo id have to agree, but rock is not dead it just got twisted and morphed into different genres, all of them have some kind of roots to rock.

jonnymcl2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jonnymcl2k
Member since 2004 • 1604 Posts

I partly agree, whilst i don't think all music is crap these days, there's certainly alot more crap than there used to be, and i'd find it hard to name an album that would be as memorable as Led Zeppelin IV, Electric Lady land or Sgt Peppers(not that i'm a huge fan of the last one). There are some decent bands around though, tool, A perfect Circle, Dream Theater, Muse to name a few.

Jaks_Secret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Jaks_Secret
Member since 2006 • 9003 Posts
Yes, because the only "real" music of a genre is the kind of stuff you like. Swing music is dead. Rock and hip-hop aren't.
The_Solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 The_Solid
Member since 2008 • 1500 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Solid"]1)ACDC("T.N.T.")chessmaster1989

Hmm, interesting choice for ACDC's best song. I like it, but my top two are definitely Back in Black and Hells Bells.

WATCH ME EXPLODE!!!!! that takes me back to my teen-sub teen years. Back when i used to get up at 3 am for BB practise. and then eat fried eggs at my house. Those were the days.
redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
[QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="Hyper_Hedgehog"]In the words of ACDC, "rock and roll ain't gonna die."thepwninator

Manowar has got to be the most homoerotic metal band ever.
LeePearce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LeePearce
Member since 2006 • 1243 Posts
Foo Fighters are awesome.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thepwninator
[QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="thepwninator"][QUOTE="redstormrisen"] In the words of Manowar, "The gods made Heavy Metal, and its never gonna die" ;)

Or, at the very least, the cheesiest.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I read it as Rick and Roll :lol:
-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -starman-

[QUOTE="thepwninator"][QUOTE="redstormrisen"] In the words of Manowar, "The gods made Heavy Metal, and its never gonna die" ;)redstormrisen

the UFC of the music world, then?

warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 warbmxjohn

[QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="thepwninator"] Fighting the world every single day Fighting the world for the right to play HEAVY METAL in my plane I'm fighting for the matter cause it's here to stay! *insert chorus of "fighting fighting fighting the world, I've been fighting the world" x 10000 here*-starman-

Yeah say that to me in the octagon BRO! :P :lol:
warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 warbmxjohn
I read it as Rick and Roll :lol:markop2003
gotta love adverse effects of internet use right? :P
-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -starman-

[QUOTE="-starman-"]

[QUOTE="redstormrisen"] Manowar has got to be the most homoerotic metal band ever. warbmxjohn

i'd be worried that you might "ground and pound" me.

i know that it's a tough sport... but whenever i flip to it on TV i feel like i'm watching something i shouldn't be.

warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 warbmxjohn

[QUOTE="warbmxjohn"][QUOTE="-starman-"]

-starman-

i'd be worried that you might "ground and pound" me.

i know that it's a tough sport... but whenever i flip to it on TV i feel like i'm watching something i shouldn't be.

The GnP joke is hilarious.. As much as I like to watch UFC, and I definitely respect the athletes that compete, the homoerotic associations are not too hard to see.. Just like wrestling..
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

I still have hope: Symphonic Metal is getting more and more bands, and with bands like Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Nightwish, there is still a little hope. But rock as we have known it is dead, but the future is not so grim as one may think.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Oh, stop arguing. Ever heard of tastes, TC?... besides my massive collection of original Punk Rock, 85% of my iPod is full of music from the last 10 years.