ROCK & ROLL is DEAD

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FalcoLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 FalcoLX
Member since 2007 • 4452 Posts

Definitely not. Rise Against, Avenged Sevenfold, and QotSA are still putting out some great rock albums. I think A7X's City of Evil album is comparable to the ones you mentioned.

FalcoLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 FalcoLX

Foo Fighters are awesome. LeePearce
Hell yeah. Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace is an awesome album.

links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 links136
Member since 2004 • 2400 Posts

the problem I have today is that pretty much all mainstream bands suck hard live, and its hard to find alot of songs truly original. Most are like the exact same pattern in different keys.

When I listen to Hendrix, I prefer to listen to him live rather than his recordings because he puts so much power into his performances and he almost always has a different rendition of his songs that keeps them fresh. I can't say the same for any band in the last decade.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

The Strokes- Is this It

Better than Ten and 1984 and I'm a big fan of Pearl Jam and Roth Van Halen

Also Slipknot is not standard metal. It's either Nu Metal (first two recordings) or alternative metal (last 2 recordings)

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Solid"]1)ACDC("T.N.T.")chessmaster1989

Hmm, interesting choice for ACDC's best song. I like it, but my top two are definitely Back in Black and Hells Bells.

I'd have to agree with Chessmaster on this one. T.N.T. is great, but I don't think it's their best song. I'd have to go with either Hells Bells or It's A Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock n' Roll) for their best song.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="The_Solid"]1)ACDC("T.N.T.")LZ71

Hmm, interesting choice for ACDC's best song. I like it, but my top two are definitely Back in Black and Hells Bells.

I'd have to agree with Chessmaster on this one. T.N.T. is great, but I don't think it's their best song. I'd have to go with either Hells Bells or It's A Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock n' Roll) for their best song.

Good choices, again, although, between those two, I definitely prefer Hells Bells.

Thunderstruck is another great one.

musicaz70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 musicaz70
Member since 2007 • 1949 Posts

With bands like Mastodon, Coheed & Cambria, and The Mars Volta active I doubt rock will be dead anytime soon.

Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

Disagree, I just went to Bamboolze Left yesterday and it is still very much alive

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts

the problem I have today is that pretty much all mainstream bands suck hard live, and its hard to find alot of songs truly original. Most are like the exact same pattern in different keys.

When I listen to Hendrix, I prefer to listen to him live rather than his recordings because he puts so much power into his performances and he almost always has a different rendition of his songs that keeps them fresh. I can't say the same for any band in the last decade.

links136
Try listening beyond the garbage mainstream :| Listen to Blind Guardians live stuff, they are every bit as good as they are in the studio.....as are most good bands...
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

[QUOTE="LZ71"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

Good choices, again, although, between those two, I definitely prefer Hells Bells.

Hells Bells is absolutely fantastic, no doubt about it, but I'm partial to the Bon Scott era myself, so It's a Long Way gets my vote. And kudos to who ever quoted Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution, a criminally underrated song.
links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 links136
Member since 2004 • 2400 Posts

[QUOTE="links136"]

Darth-Caedus

Try listening beyond the garbage mainstream :| Listen to Blind Guardians live stuff, they are every bit as good as they are in the studio.....as are most good bands...

thats the problem, any 'good' band or band with talent never makes it near the top. Never any exposure. Kinda sickining really.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

[QUOTE="LZ71"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

My personal favorite is definitely "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", simply because of its high levels of lulziness.
Snaptrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Snaptrap
Member since 2003 • 2186 Posts

Really. It is.

Name one rock album released during the 2000's that is as timeless as Pearl Jam's Ten for the 90's, Van Halen's 1984 in the 80's, Led Zeppelin's IV in the 70's, or Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced? in the 60's. Don't forget Elvis in the 50's.

Just realize that the only rock and roll that sells these days is feux "hard" rock like Nickelback, childish pop rock like All American Rejects, and horrid, mainstream metal like Slipknot. Punk? Emo? Kill me know please. The industry has killed the idea of album oriented work, and replaced it with a major emphasis on singles. Nowadays, an album is required to only have one or two big singles to be regarded as good among casual listeners. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Yes. I said it. Rock and roll today is dead. There is no emotion in it, there is no style to it, and most importantly, there is no integrity to it.

Bands like Metallica, Pearl Jam and Rush are the only ones around today to keep its heart barely pumping. As soon as these last few bands dissolve, as we all know they eventually will, the true rock movement will dissolve into the past. WE should all be thankful that iTunes and Zune and Napster will still carry it, so we, the people who have known true rock, can continue appreciating it.

Unless record companies stop with the commercialization of music, eventually all of it will die.

Agree/Disagree?

Uncle_Uzi
You apparently don't even know what Rock & Roll is? Pearl Jam? Van Halen? Led Zepplin? You couldn't be further away. Elvis was R&R. Van Halen is just plain Rock which is only a derivative of R&R. Mainstream R&R is dead.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
[QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="thepwninator"][QUOTE="redstormrisen"] In the words of Manowar, "The gods made Heavy Metal, and its never gonna die" ;)

Fighting the world every single day Fighting the world for the right to play HEAVY METAL in my plane I'm fighting for the matter cause it's here to stay! *insert chorus of "fighting fighting fighting the world, I've been fighting the world" x 10000 here*

Manowar has got to be the most homoerotic metal band ever.

And that's what makes them so brilliant ;) :P
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#65 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="LZ71"] I'd have to agree with Chessmaster on this one. T.N.T. is great, but I don't think it's their best song. I'd have to go with either Hells Bells or It's A Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock n' Roll) for their best song.thepwninator

My personal favorite is definitely "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", simply because of its high levels of lulziness.

Haha I love that song. It's one of my favorites from the Bon Scott era.

Jaks_Secret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 Jaks_Secret
Member since 2006 • 9003 Posts
Hell yeah. Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace is an awesome album.FalcoLX
I'm a huge Foo Fighters fan, and I thought that it was terrible, aside from "Long Road To Ruin". It was just Grohl screaming and boring, repetitious chords, with occasional quiet parts that build up to more of the same.
Uncle_Uzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67 Uncle_Uzi
Member since 2007 • 1371 Posts

[QUOTE="Uncle_Uzi"]

Really. It is.

Name one rock album released during the 2000's that is as timeless as Pearl Jam's Ten for the 90's, Van Halen's 1984 in the 80's, Led Zeppelin's IV in the 70's, or Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced? in the 60's. Don't forget Elvis in the 50's.

Just realize that the only rock and roll that sells these days is feux "hard" rock like Nickelback, childish pop rock like All American Rejects, and horrid, mainstream metal like Slipknot. Punk? Emo? Kill me know please. The industry has killed the idea of album oriented work, and replaced it with a major emphasis on singles. Nowadays, an album is required to only have one or two big singles to be regarded as good among casual listeners. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Yes. I said it. Rock and roll today is dead. There is no emotion in it, there is no style to it, and most importantly, there is no integrity to it.

Bands like Metallica, Pearl Jam and Rush are the only ones around today to keep its heart barely pumping. As soon as these last few bands dissolve, as we all know they eventually will, the true rock movement will dissolve into the past. WE should all be thankful that iTunes and Zune and Napster will still carry it, so we, the people who have known true rock, can continue appreciating it.

Unless record companies stop with the commercialization of music, eventually all of it will die.

Agree/Disagree?

Snaptrap

You apparently don't even know what Rock & Roll is? Pearl Jam? Van Halen? Led Zepplin? You couldn't be further away. Elvis was R&R. Van Halen is just plain Rock which is only a derivative of R&R. Mainstream R&R is dead.

Here's where you're wrong: you're trying to define Rock & Roll as a subgenre of Rock. NOT AT ALL TRUE.

Most normal people consider Drums, Bass, Guitar, Singer....... a ROCK band. Its the idea of loud, beat-driven, emotional music that has a front man (usually the singer). And when I say emotional I mean a very wide range of emotions, from happy to sad, from angry to (Elvis' case) horny.

There are variations on this formula, but Rock & Roll (commonly just called rock) encompasses all of it.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts

Sorry sir Rock will never die.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

[QUOTE="FalcoLX"]Hell yeah. Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace is an awesome album.Jaks_Secret
I'm a huge Foo Fighters fan, and I thought that it was terrible, aside from "Long Road To Ruin". It was just Grohl screaming and boring, repetitious chords, with occasional quiet parts that build up to more of the same.

Yep. I don't mind Dave screaming but it came off a bit uninspired. I was a little surprised by how many songs seemed to use the "start off quiet and rip it up near the end" formula. I'd say the first 5 songs on the album are my favorites and the rest are fine to listen to but nothing to talk about.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

You are entitled to your opinion. Doesn't mean it's correct nonetheless...

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
We're not in the 70's anymore, so stop expected blues hard rock bands to come out anymore. And how can you be so quick to judge that today's music lacks emotion and integrity? You can't say that.
awesomeray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 awesomeray
Member since 2009 • 2880 Posts
rock will never die dammit!!
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 SeanDog123
Member since 2005 • 1327 Posts
Today's mainstream music is for children. Every "rock'" band right now is really just a joke, pretty much anything on the radio or MTV is a joke.
BeepBoop16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 BeepBoop16
Member since 2008 • 562 Posts

You're out, Hi5 guise.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJS9502_basic

Today's mainstream music is for children. Every "rock'" band right now is really just a joke, pretty much anything on the radio or MTV is a joke.SeanDog123
This is nothing new however.....

redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts

[QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="thepwninator"] Fighting the world every single day Fighting the world for the right to play HEAVY METAL in my plane I'm fighting for the matter cause it's here to stay! *insert chorus of "fighting fighting fighting the world, I've been fighting the world" x 10000 here*-starman-

Manowar has got to be the most homoerotic metal band ever.

the UFC of the music world, then?

Yeah...

SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 SeanDog123

You're out, Hi5 guise.

BeepBoop16
That music is for people who were molested at a young age and hate their parents.
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SeanDog123

[QUOTE="SeanDog123"]Today's mainstream music is for children. Every "rock'" band right now is really just a joke, pretty much anything on the radio or MTV is a joke.LJS9502_basic

Well, they used to play classic rock on the radio, before it became classic.
BeepBoop16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 BeepBoop16

Today's mainstream music is for children. Every "rock'" band right now is really just a joke, pretty much anything on the radio or MTV is a joke.SeanDog123

A joke? Seem pretty serious to me.

Words can be broken. So can bones.

Christ, so simple yet so beautiful.

viva_hate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 viva_hate
Member since 2009 • 2414 Posts
Well, all the better. Don't get me wrong, I love rock, I grew up listening to it and it got me through my teen years. It's such a broad genre, there really is something to like for everyone, and that's awesome. The thing is, I'm eager to see what's the next revolution. In the '20s it was jazz, then the '50s had rock & roll. The next real revolution had to be punk in the mid-70s, before it got all douchey with The Offspring and such. Then there was grunge. Now, I dunno. Indie rock would be the obvious answer, but I never could consider it as a genre. Hopefully, we will live to see the next revolution happen. It's hard to predict it, though... It used to be simple though, you just had to watch whatever Bowie was doing and you knew what was coming next :-P
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="SeanDog123"]Today's mainstream music is for children. Every "rock'" band right now is really just a joke, pretty much anything on the radio or MTV is a joke.SeanDog123

Along with bands you probably never encountered. The 70's is one of the worst decades for music. Disco anyone? One of the number one songs for 1977 for quite some time was You Light Up My Life. Terrible.:(

You are looking back and seeing ONLY the music that appeals to you. Not everyone listened to rock. Most songs on the charts were pop.

BeepBoop16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 BeepBoop16

[QUOTE="BeepBoop16"]

You're out, Hi5 guise.

SeanDog123

That music is for people who were molested at a young age and hate their parents.

Actually, the third one is dedicated to the artist's aunt. He also has a song called "I love my parents." He wears a Bucket on his head. He takes rubber chicken's to gigs. Yeah he sounds extremely eccentric but not in an angsty sort of way you are reffering to.

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
[QUOTE="BeepBoop16"]

You're out, Hi5 guise.

SeanDog123

Or for people with good taste, which ever.
Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts

Disagree.

I could name one band that throws your entire argument out the window.

KLAX42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 KLAX42
Member since 2008 • 3368 Posts

Disagree. I'm in no mood for arguments, though, as it appears you are fairly set on your opinion.geodisicdome

First post and the thread is already destroyed. Well done.

BeepBoop16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 BeepBoop16

[QUOTE="BeepBoop16"]

[QUOTE="SeanDog123"]Today's mainstream music is for children. Every "rock'" band right now is really just a joke, pretty much anything on the radio or MTV is a joke.SeanDog123

A joke? Seem pretty serious to me.

Words can be broken. So can bones.

Christ, so simple yet so beautiful.

Yeah sorry dude, but not many people like death metal, and its actually really sad. It really is just music for people who bring weapons to school.

Why must you have to "be" something to be a fan of certain music? Is every hip-hop fan a gangster? Is every Rock fan a hooligan? Is every pop fan a teenage girl? Is every metal fan a murderer?

Can't people just enjoy the music without being the stereotype that you idiotically project onto your own view of it?

ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#88 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts

If all you base that argument on is the mainstream mall music middle school kids listen to, then yes, it is dead. But if you go further into each individual genre you'll find there are tons of bands out there that still fill their music with emotion and passion.

impl0sion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#89 impl0sion
Member since 2006 • 851 Posts
Rock and roll died in the 50's. I assume you mean Rock, as to which i couldn't care less about. Long live the metal/alternative genre! (Currently listening to linkin park)
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 SeanDog123

[QUOTE="SeanDog123"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]This is nothing new however.....

LJS9502_basic

Along with bands you probably never encountered. The 70's is one of the worst decades for music. Disco anyone? One of the number one songs for 1977 for quite some time was You Light Up My Life. Terrible.:(

You are looking back and seeing ONLY the music that appeals to you. Not everyone listened to rock. Most songs on the charts were pop.

While I know that not all music of the 70's was good, if you look at the pop music of that era compared to today's pop music, I think you will see a huge difference. I'm pretty sure the 70's were a great era for music, jazz fusion became popular, Elton John came about, and a lot of disco wasn't that bad.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="SeanDog123"] Well, they used to play classic rock on the radio, before it became classic.SeanDog123

While I know that not all music of the 70's was good, if you look at the pop music of that era compared to today's pop music, I think you will see a huge difference. I'm pretty sure the 70's were a great era for music, jazz fusion became popular, Elton John came about, and a lot of disco wasn't that bad.

Well now you have entered the realm of opinion. Is jazz fusion in and of itself great? No, it depends on who is creating the music. As with any genre and any decade. Elton John would be opinion of course. I find his music to be highly forgettable. As for disco....yeah it was bad.

SolidSnake2142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 SolidSnake2142
Member since 2008 • 131 Posts

Sounds like someone isn't even aware of metal. Blind Guardian, Opeth, Scar Symmetry, Porcupine Tree, Nine Inch Nails, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Mastodon, Metallica, Megadeth, Meshuggah, Sepultura, Maximum the Hormone, Machine Head, In Flames, TRIVIUM, Sonic Syndicate, Hurt, All that Remains, Axenstar, Roadrunner united, Sonata Arctica, Amon Amarth, and Dream Theater have all released great albums in this decade and many have released great albums in the last several years,

viva_hate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 viva_hate
Member since 2009 • 2414 Posts

Sounds like someone isn't even aware of metal. Blind Guardian, Opeth, Scar Symmetry, Porcupine Tree, Nine Inch Nails, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Mastodon, Metallica, Megadeth, Meshuggah, Sepultura, Maximum the Hormone, Machine Head, In Flames, TRIVIUM, Sonic Syndicate, Hurt, All that Remains, Axenstar, Roadrunner united, Sonata Arctica, Amon Amarth, and Dream Theater have all released great albums in this decade and many have released great albums in the last several years,

SolidSnake2142
There seems to be a general interest in metal in off-topic. I'm new here, please forgive me. As much as I can criticize metal, I have to admire how persistent and diverse it is. But again, whether or not it is rock & roll is mostly a matter of opinion. Sure, it used to be, but it's starting to look less like a subgenre and more like a stand-alone genre. It pretty much amputated itself from rock & roll, by getting so heavy and serious.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="SolidSnake2142"]

viva_hate

There seems to be a general interest in metal in off-topic. I'm new here, please forgive me. As much as I can criticize metal, I have to admire how persistent and diverse it is. But again, whether or not it is rock & roll is mostly a matter of opinion. Sure, it used to be, but it's starting to look less like a subgenre and more like a stand-alone genre. It pretty much amputated itself from rock & roll, by getting so heavy and serious.

It's still the rock genre though. And as for the first post here....well now not everyone likes metal so it's not a convincing argument.

SolidSnake2142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 SolidSnake2142
Member since 2008 • 131 Posts

[QUOTE="viva_hate"][QUOTE="SolidSnake2142"]

LJS9502_basic

It's still the rock genre though. And as for the first post here....well now not everyone likes metal so it's not a convincing argument.

There is so much variety between all the different sub-genres of metal that I'm sure most people can find something they really like.
Mage_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#96 Mage_7
Member since 2007 • 1065 Posts

I listen to and love mostly cl@ssic rock, but even I disagree with that statement. There are still a few great rock bands left, like Queens of the Stone Age. Just look past the mainstream crap.LZ71

Yes QotSA are amazing. Also I hope the sound of classic rock will start to come back Iif you ask me The Strokes have a very classic sound to their music.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="viva_hate"] There seems to be a general interest in metal in off-topic. I'm new here, please forgive me. As much as I can criticize metal, I have to admire how persistent and diverse it is. But again, whether or not it is rock & roll is mostly a matter of opinion. Sure, it used to be, but it's starting to look less like a subgenre and more like a stand-alone genre. It pretty much amputated itself from rock & roll, by getting so heavy and serious.SolidSnake2142

There is so much variety between all the different sub-genres of metal that I'm sure most people can find something they really like.

I can't.....

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Rock is the standout sound of the late 20 and early 21 centruies!

dhyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 dhyce
Member since 2003 • 5609 Posts

Pretty sure countless Rock bands around keep that old time vibe alive. Oh wait, that's right, you don't actually know anything about modern music so you wouldn't know.

FalcoLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 FalcoLX

[QUOTE="Jaks_Secret"][QUOTE="FalcoLX"]Hell yeah. Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace is an awesome album.Nifty_Shark

Yep. I don't mind Dave screaming but it came off a bit uninspired. I was a little surprised by how many songs seemed to use the "start off quiet and rip it up near the end" formula. I'd say the first 5 songs on the album are my favorites and the rest are fine to listen to but nothing to talk about.

I understand the complaints about it. The Colour and the Shape is probably their best.