Racism at UCSD. Are the retaliations justified?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#251 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Let's say for example you announced you were going to assassinate the president but you meant it metaphorically speaking. What would happen?

HermitGTX

It would depend on the context. What are you getting at?

the_new_guy_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 the_new_guy_92
Member since 2009 • 884 Posts

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"]Yea, aren't you the cop that argued that racial profiling was OK a couple week/months ago?airshocker

I don't think so. I probably said something along the lines of I'm more wary around people who are clearly "hood", than normal looking people.

No you said something along the lines if you see a bunch of black kids wearing the same color you would be more suspicious than a bunch of white kids wearing the same color.Assuming that the black kids are gang members, but the whites are maybe supporting their school or such.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"]Yea, aren't you the cop that argued that racial profiling was OK a couple week/months ago?the_new_guy_92

I don't think so. I probably said something along the lines of I'm more wary around people who are clearly "hood", than normal looking people.

No you said something along the lines if you see a bunch of black kids wearing the same color you would be more suspicious than a bunch of white kids wearing the same color.Assuming that the black kids are gang members, but the whites are maybe supporting their school or such.

He has more of a reason to be suspicious of them given the history of gang life and such..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

No you said something along the lines if you see a bunch of black kids wearing the same color you would be more suspicious than a bunch of white kids wearing the same color.Assuming that the black kids are gang members, but the whites are maybe supporting their school or such.the_new_guy_92

Yeah I could imagine myself saying that. I don't remember where I did, though. Do you have a problem with that statement?

If I see a group of black kids wearing the color red in a high-school hallway I'm obviously going to be much more wary of them than if I see a group of kids wearing red school-spirit T-shirts announcing them as sophomores.

Racial-profiling is very useful. The key is not to get carried away with it. As always, racial-profiling doesn't give you cause to go over and give 'em a simple frisk. Until I see a crime being committed, or extremely suspicious activity, I'm just going to observe.

Edit: On the same note, I'm also going to keep an eye on trench-coat toting white boys. And white kids dressed in gang paraphernalia.

Montaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 Montaya
Member since 2005 • 4269 Posts

Too bad, that would have been a fun party.. Just having it during black history month and for that purpose was not such a great idea.

the_new_guy_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 the_new_guy_92

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

He has more of a reason to be suspicious of them given the history of gang life and such..

LOL, it funny how you can trick people into exposing their bigoted views. A groups of kids wearing the same color never warrants investigation, maybe real substantial evidence of wrongdoing should be used instead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

LOL, it funny how you can trick people into exposing their bigoted views. A groups of kids wearing the same color never warrants investigation, maybe real substantial evidence of wrongdoing should be used instead.the_new_guy_92

You confuse investigation with observation and prudent caution.

But honestly, until you become a cop and work in areas with a lot of gang activity, you really can't judge me.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"] No you said something along the lines if you see a bunch of black kids wearing the same color you would be more suspicious than a bunch of white kids wearing the same color.Assuming that the black kids are gang members, but the whites are maybe supporting their school or such.the_new_guy_92

LOL, it funny how you can trick people into exposing their bigoted views. A groups of kids wearing the same color never warrants investigation, maybe real substantial evidence of wrongdoing should be used instead.

Yes thank you for showing us how you play the victim...

Yes it does in fact...a black gang at a highschool by me always used to wear the same colored t-shirts...i would say better to be safe and proceed cautiously then to be careless and pay later..

the_new_guy_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 the_new_guy_92

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"]LOL, it funny how you can trick people into exposing their bigoted views. A groups of kids wearing the same color never warrants investigation, maybe real substantial evidence of wrongdoing should be used instead.airshocker

You confuse investigation with observation and prudent caution.

But honestly, until you become a cop and work in areas with a lot of gang activity, you really can't judge me.

I live in an area with a lot of gang activity, probably more gang activity than wherever you live. Southwest Houston, Texas. I also went to a local school district that was pretty diverse and kids had a lot of pride in their schools. Kids from Taylor would always wear a lot of red, kids from Hastings would always wear a lot of yellow, Kids from Elsik would always were a lot of blue. But by your logic all the blacks kids from these schools should be investigated more than the white kids; simply for showing school spirit.
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 TBoogy
Member since 2007 • 4382 Posts

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"][QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Yes it does in fact...a black gang at a highschool by me always used to wear the same colored t-shirts...i would say better to be safe and proceed cautiously then to be careless and pay later..

The problem to me is that cops can do some brain dead stuff. Like in my area when wearing baseball caps with the brim to the side, they would assume you were in a gang, when it was just a popular fashion statement at the time. Or my girlfriends brother, who was pulled over, he was told by the cop, because his car was blue.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"] LOL, it funny how you can trick people into exposing their bigoted views. A groups of kids wearing the same color never warrants investigation, maybe real substantial evidence of wrongdoing should be used instead.TBoogy

The problem to me is that cops can do some brain dead stuff. Like in my area when wearing baseball caps with the brim to the side, they would assume you were in a gang, when it was just a popular fashion statement at the time. Or my girlfriends brother, who was pulled over, he was told by the cop, because his car was blue.

Not all cops can be critical thinkers and such :P..

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#262 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Well it was off campus and not associated with the college. So we just have to let them be morons.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I live in an area with a lot of gang activity, probably more gang activity than wherever you live. Southwest Houston, Texas. I also went to a local school district that was pretty diverse and kids had a lot of pride in their schools. Kids from Taylor would always wear a lot of red, kids from Hastings would always wear a lot of yellow, Kids from Elsik would always were a lot of blue. But by your logic all the blacks kids from these schools should be investigated more than the white kids; simply for showing school spirit.the_new_guy_92

Because the lower hudson valley in New York doesn't have any gang activity at all...

You're missing the context and getting tunnel-vision, let me help you: In my area, red, blue and purple represent gang colors. If I see a group of black kids all with varying degrees of red on their attire, I am going to be more suspicious. I really don't care if that offends your liberal sensibilities, but don't try and knock on my logic when you aren't even a cop.

But you can think whatever you want. Lucky for you if you were ever in my slice of paradise you'd get treated the same exact way as everyone else.

Fuzzy_Bear123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 Fuzzy_Bear123
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts
I'm all for making fun of different cultures from time to time (including my own) but this is pretty low, and completely unnecessary.
the_new_guy_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 the_new_guy_92

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"]I live in an area with a lot of gang activity, probably more gang activity than wherever you live. Southwest Houston, Texas. I also went to a local school district that was pretty diverse and kids had a lot of pride in their schools. Kids from Taylor would always wear a lot of red, kids from Hastings would always wear a lot of yellow, Kids from Elsik would always were a lot of blue. But by your logic all the blacks kids from these schools should be investigated more than the white kids; simply for showing school spirit.airshocker

Because the lower hudson valley in New York doesn't have any gang activity at all...

You're missing the context and getting tunnel-vision, let me help you: In my area, red, blue and purple represent gang colors. If I see a group of black kids all with varying degrees of red on their attire, I am going to be more suspicious. I really don't care if that offends your liberal sensibilities, but don't try and knock on my logic when you aren't even a cop.

But you can think whatever you want. Lucky for you if you were ever in my slice of paradise you'd get treated the same exact way as everyone else.

That the problem with having racist in the police force, their bias affects their judgment. Instead of looking at actual facts.

The FBI puts the the number of blacks gang members in the U.S. at approximately 310,000, there are 37.6 blacks in the U.S.; in reality that means the percentage of blacks in gangs is 0.00817941953. But your own bias make you think "blacks kids wearing the same color, they must be gang members!" Rather than looking at the fact blacks kids do tend to match the colors of their clothes a lot, and maybe you didn't know this, but blacks are capable of having school spirit too!

Don't try and justify your race related prejudice. And you don't definitely don't help the stereotype that conservatives are all racially prejudice.

It's kinda like justifying pulling over a black guy while driving a nice car, "Well he's black, so there is no way he can afford that car, I bet it's stolen!"

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"]I live in an area with a lot of gang activity, probably more gang activity than wherever you live. Southwest Houston, Texas. I also went to a local school district that was pretty diverse and kids had a lot of pride in their schools. Kids from Taylor would always wear a lot of red, kids from Hastings would always wear a lot of yellow, Kids from Elsik would always were a lot of blue. But by your logic all the blacks kids from these schools should be investigated more than the white kids; simply for showing school spirit.the_new_guy_92

That the problem with having racist in the police force, their bias affects their judgment. Instead of looking at actual facts.

The FBI puts the the number of blacks gang members in the U.S. at approximately 310,000, there are 37.6 blacks in the U.S.; in reality that means the percentage of blacks in gangs is 0.00817941953. But your own bias make you think "blacks kids wearing the same color, they must be gang members!" Rather than looking at the fact blacks kids do tend to match the colors of their clothes a lot, and maybe you didn't know this, but blacks are capable of having school spirit too!

Don't try and justify your race related prejudice. And you don't definitely don't help the stereotype that conservatives are all racially prejudice.

It's kinda like justifying pulling over a black guy while driving a nice car, "Well he's black, so there is no way he can afford that car, I bet it's stolen!"

And you fit the stereotype that blacks play the victim and cry racist at the slightest drop of the hat all the time..

He's just being alert and safe..give him a break..

And way to generalize their kiddo ;)..

the_new_guy_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 the_new_guy_92

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"]

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

And you fit the stereotype that blacks play the victim and crying racist at the slightest drop of the hat all the time..

Wow, thanks for assuming I'm black because I disagree with a racist.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"] That the problem with having racist in the police force, their bias affects their judgment. Instead of looking at actual facts.

the_new_guy_92

And you fit the stereotype that blacks play the victim and crying racist at the slightest drop of the hat all the time..

He's not a racist...go look up the definition of the word...

the_new_guy_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 the_new_guy_92

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"][QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Racially prejudice? Racially Bias? Whatever word you want to call it. I find it more disgusting that there are people out there that think if someone doesn't agree with their racial bias views then they must people part of the group being persecuted.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

the_new_guy_92

You can think whatever you want, man.

You're obviously trying to blame me for something I didn't do, because there's absolutely no way you could know anything about my police record, how many arrests I've made, who they were, who I've pulled over, etc.

When you get some hard evidence instead of blaming me for every racist thing a bigoted cop has done, we can talk.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"] Wow, thanks for assuming I'm black because I disagree with a racist.the_new_guy_92

Racially prejudice? Racially Bias? Whatever word you want to call it. I find it more disgusting that there are people out there that think if someone doesn't agree with their racial bias views then they must people part of the group being persecuted.

You aren't merely disagreeing respecfully...you are crying racism and bigotry left and right...

the_new_guy_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 the_new_guy_92

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"]

airshocker

You can think whatever you want, man.

You're obviously trying to blame me for something I didn't do, because there's absolutely no way you could know anything about my police record, how many arrests I've made, who they were, who I've pulled over, etc.

When you get some hard evidence instead of blaming me for every racist thing a bigoted cop has done, we can talk.

Does it really matter? You already admitted your own racial bias online and you seem to not know it.
the_new_guy_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 the_new_guy_92

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"]

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

You aren't merely disagreeing respecfully...you are crying racism and bigotry left and right...

Umm.... maybe because he's displaying racial bigotry???
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"]

the_new_guy_92

Umm.... maybe because he's displaying racial bigotry???

No, he's displaying caution based on a set of observed/read about events...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Does it really matter? You already admitted your own racial bias online and you seem to not know it.the_new_guy_92

How? By saying what I'm cautious of? That's not being bigoted or racist.