Racism at UCSD. Are the retaliations justified?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TirOrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 TirOrn
Member since 2005 • 1828 Posts

http://www.10news.com/news/22588063/detail.html

What do you guys think? Some argue that the party is protected under the first amendment of the Constitution, whereas others say that the UCSD chapter of the PIKE Frat should be shut down as a punishment.

Others have been asking what would have happened if there was a white-trash BBQ instead, with crooked teeth, overalls, beer, and a campout.

Thoughts?

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Wouldn't be that way if it was mocking white history month IMO..

They're just mocking an unecessary month...what's the problem...

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Retaliations are completely justified in my opinion. I remember another party like this a year or so back mocking Black History Month.
TirOrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TirOrn

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Which is why you wonder why there is such a thing as "Black History Month." Why limit a rich culture and history to just one month out of the year? There is no such thing as "White History Month." We studied that throughout high school, and even more detailed now in college. I don't get why it needs to exist, when most of what it does is create problems.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xTheExploited

Xx_Hopeless_xX
They are not mocking an unecessary month they are mocking a race. The themes of the party all involved stereotypes of black people who live in the ghetto. It is blatant racism.
JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JonnyEagle
Member since 2009 • 1196 Posts
Yeah it's racist, but what are you gonna do?
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I think retaliation is not needed. We shouldn't stoop to their level because if we do, we would be no different than them....
RJay123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RJay123
Member since 2009 • 911 Posts

What bothers me is that people actually chose on their own will power to attend a party like that, proving there are closet racists everywhere

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

xTheExploited

They are not mocking an unecessary month they are mocking a race. The themes of the party all involved stereotypes of black people who live in the ghetto. It is blatant racism.

They're mocking the black people that live in the ghetto..not the upstanding ones that rise above it..i'm sure the gheto people mock white people on a daily basis as well..

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Retaliations are completely justified in my opinion. I remember another party like this a year or so back mocking Black History Month.xTheExploited
If there was a white trash or Redneck party would you have a problem with that too?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"][QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

They're mocking the black people that live in the ghetto..not the upstanding ones that rise above it..i'm sure the mock white people as well..

An unneccesary month or celebration is a matter of opinion.... But that being said I actually agree, they specifically say ghetto.. Blacks may fit in this stereotype but they do not make it.... I mean what difference would this make if there was a party with a red neck white trash theme? I sure as hell wouldn't care, if people are going to angry at that stereotype perhapes they should start criticizing the people who perpatuate it.. Though I personally wouldn't attend the party and I would find it stupid, I personally wouldn't care..

TirOrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TirOrn

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]Retaliations are completely justified in my opinion. I remember another party like this a year or so back mocking Black History Month.Pirate700

If there was a white trash or Redneck party would you have a problem with that too?

My point exactly. It seems that people here seem to think that racism is inextricably linked to the Black/African American race, but none other.

(EDIT: By here, I mean UCSD. My apologies)

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
What's the UCSD? :|
TirOrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TirOrn

What's the UCSD? :| th3warr1or

University of California, San Diego.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pirate700

What's the UCSD? :| th3warr1or
University of California - San Diego.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
I just wonder why they do it. I can understand people get upset when this happens.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"] They are not mocking an unecessary month they are mocking a race. The themes of the party all involved stereotypes of black people who live in the ghetto. It is blatant racism.sSubZerOo

They're mocking the black people that live in the ghetto..not the upstanding ones that rise above it..i'm sure the mock white people as well..

An unneccesary month or celebration is a matter of opinion.... But that being said I actually agree, they specifically say ghetto.. Blacks may fit in this stereotype but they do not make it.... I mean what difference would this make if there was a party with a red neck white trash theme? I sure as hell wouldn't care, if people are going to angry at that stereotype perhapes they should start criticizing the people who perpatuate it.. Though I personally wouldn't attend the party and I would find it stupid, I personally wouldn't care..

Probably wouldn't be any news coverage or anything >_>..

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]Retaliations are completely justified in my opinion. I remember another party like this a year or so back mocking Black History Month.TirOrn

My point exactly. It seems that people here seem to think that racism is inextricably linked to the Black/African American race, but none other.

I loved their protest there too. It was a whole 3 people. :lol:

Penguinchow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Penguinchow
Member since 2006 • 1629 Posts
People are too sensitive and politically correct nowadays. I'm not racist, but I think if we can't laugh at that kindof thing and get on with life then something is wrong. And don't get me started on Affirmative Action...
Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]Retaliations are completely justified in my opinion. I remember another party like this a year or so back mocking Black History Month.TirOrn

Yep... I doubt it would have even been mentioned if this was a redneck themed party. The faculty might have even joined in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

There probably would to a extent.. I honestly don't believe in the immense double standard racism conspiracy going on.. Our media for instance has never been so liberal in which popular comedies like Family Guy, South Park etc etc make fun of every race, religion etc etc..

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]Retaliations are completely justified in my opinion. I remember another party like this a year or so back mocking Black History Month.Pirate700

I would.

They're mocking the black people that live in the ghetto..not the upstanding ones that rise above it..i'm sure the gheto people mock white people on a daily basis as well..

Xx_Hopeless_xX
Yes and since its in commemoration of Black History Month, which is a month dedicated to ALL black people, it's implying that all black people are like that. Why chose to imitate "ghetto" black people. Why not the hard working black mother? And all black people that live in the ghetto are not like that. That's like saying all white people from the south are inbred rednecks, and that's not true. Don't generalize like that.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xTheExploited

Yes I would. Whats your point? :|
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Man, Pikes seem to be like this at every school, what is up with that fraternity?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

There probably would to a extent.. I honestly don't believe in the immense double standard racism conspiracy going on.. Our media for instance has never been so liberal in which popular comedies like Family Guy, South Park etc etc make fun of every race, religion etc etc..

With all due respect, youre wrong. There is a huge double standard. There are Redneck themed parties all the time.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]If there was a white trash or Redneck party would you have a problem with that too?

II_Seraphim_II

I would.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Yes and since its in commemoration of Black History Month, which is a month dedicated to ALL black people, it's implying that all black people are like that. Why chose to imitate "ghetto" black people. Why not the hard working black mother? And all black people that live in the ghetto are not like that. That's like saying all white people from the south are inbred rednecks, and that's not true. Don't generalize like that.

Right..well..i don't think i generalized to an extreme extent...if they want to get out of that stereotype they can work hard and earn their way out..

Penguinchow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Penguinchow
Member since 2006 • 1629 Posts
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]If there was a white trash or Redneck party would you have a problem with that too?

II_Seraphim_II
I would.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Because the hard working black mother is respectable. Ghetto folks(black or white) are funny. And we had hillbilly day all the time back in highschool, nobody threw a fit.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
I think it might have been insensitive especially during this month, but it's being blown out of proportion. It's a party, it's meant to be humorous, and obviously not every black person is a Compton gangsta or ghetto chick. They're just poking fun at that stereotype, like nerdy white people that can't dance or whatever.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pirate700

I think it might have been insensitive especially during this month, but it's being blown out of proportion. It's a party, it's meant to be humorous, and obviously not every black person is a Compton gangsta or ghetto chick. They're just poking fun at that stereotype, like nerdy white people that can't dance or whatever.F1_2004
Exactly. The media is making it out like they were hanging nooses or something.

Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

I think it might have been insensitive especially during this month, but it's being blown out of proportion. It's a party, it's meant to be humorous, and obviously not every black person is a Compton gangsta or ghetto chick. They're just poking fun at that stereotype, like nerdy white people that can't dance or whatever.F1_2004

Yep, I agree with this word for word.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xTheExploited

Xx_Hopeless_xX

No, they are taking the stereotype of ghetto blacks and applying to all blacks. They are mocking a whole race through a stereotype. These are kids at a university, a pretty well known one as well. People are going to take notice of what these kids do. Society doesn't care about what happens in the ghettos. Also the fact that people of one race mock another is no justification for the opposite happening.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

II_Seraphim_II

I would.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

The fact that the rap sub culture implies that being "ghetto" = cool begs to differ.. Regular blacks should be more annoyed along the line that this stereotype is actually not far of stretch out there.. I would agree if red neck habits and the like were seen as cool in culture, when they really arn't they are seen as extremely negative.. Ghetto outside of being used to a explain a area within a city has been used to suggest being cool often times..

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
Man, Pikes seem to be like this at every school, what is up with that fraternity?xaos
True. Same thing at my University. They have quite the reputation considering this same thing.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]I think it might have been insensitive especially during this month, but it's being blown out of proportion. It's a party, it's meant to be humorous, and obviously not every black person is a Compton gangsta or ghetto chick. They're just poking fun at that stereotype, like nerdy white people that can't dance or whatever.Atmanix

Yep, I agree with this word for word.

If it's not meant as a serious offence then i don't see anything wrong with it either.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

clayron

Hopeless, you're some kind of moron aren't you? What is disturbing is not the fact that the party was thrown, which in-and-out itself is ridiculous, but the fact that people actually attended it.

No, i think it's funny that you took offense to that..

As said before, people mock white stereotypes all the time..

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"] They are not mocking an unecessary month they are mocking a race. The themes of the party all involved stereotypes of black people who live in the ghetto. It is blatant racism.xTheExploited

No, they are taking the stereotype of ghetto blacks and applying to all blacks. They are mocking a whole race through a stereotype. These are kids at a university, a pretty well known one as well. People are going to take notice of what these kids do. Society doesn't care about what happens in the ghettos. Also the fact that people of one race mock another is no justification for the opposite happening.

How are they applying it to all blacks?

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 II_Seraphim_II

You know, I don't understand all these posts about double standards. Does it matter? Something that's wrong is wrong, regardless of what other people do. So because other people are racist does that mean it's ok to be racist? So because there are double standards does that make this ok? People argue sideways here. You say "oranges are orange", and someone will say "yeah, but peaches can be orange too." like that matters or is relevant :?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pirate700

You know, I don't understand all these posts about double standards. Does it matter? Something that's wrong is wrong, regardless of what other people do. So because other people are racist does that mean it's ok to be racist? So because there are double standards does that make this ok? People argue sideways here. You say "oranges are orange", and someone will say "yeah, but peaches can be orange too." like that matters or is relevant :?

II_Seraphim_II

What people are saying it it's not necessarily wrong though. People need to learn to make fun of themselves and take jokes. I'm white and have no problem at all with Redneck or hillbilly parties because it's a frickin joke. It's meant for fun.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 clayron

[QUOTE="clayron"][QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Hopeless, you're some kind of moron aren't you? What is disturbing is not the fact that the party was thrown, which in-and-out itself is ridiculous, but the fact that people actually attended it.

Who said I took offense. I was asking if you were a moron. I have seen parties like this before, nothing to get worked up about. And I have never once heard of a party meant specifically to mock a white stereotype.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 II_Seraphim_II

Pirate700

Black History Month is dedicated to all black Americans. And they said, and I quote:

"February marks a very important month in American society. No, i'm not referring to Valentines day or Presidents day. I'm talking about Black History month. As a time to celebrate and in hopes of showing respect, the Regents community cordially invites you to its very first Compton Cookout."

A stereotypical party in commemoration of a holiday that applies to all black americans. seems to me they are referring to all black americans.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59d151f079814

II_Seraphim_II

........So by your logic South Park and Family Guy are extremely racist shows? Afterall they do the same things, they make fun of every race, religion out there including all the stereotypes.. The hick jawed white guy that is extremely racist and dumb.. The ghetto stereotype of black person with gold capped teeth and what not.. Now I wouldn't personally attend the party, but people are taking it too serious.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

Pirate700

What people are saying it it's not necessarily wrong though. People need to learn to make fun of themselves and take jokes. I'm white and have no problem at all with Redneck or hillbilly parties but it's a frickin joke. It's meant for fun.

Yes, people need to learn to make fun of themselves, not other people.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clayron

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

Pirate700

What people are saying it it's not necessarily wrong though. People need to learn to make fun of themselves and take jokes. I'm white and have no problem at all with Redneck or hillbilly parties but it's a frickin joke. It's meant for fun.

Where are these redneck parties? Do you meant mocking the redneck/hillbilly stereotype? I have partied with rednecks before -- they self-identified as rednecks, not a label I gave them -- and those are some of the most laid back, and damn near awesome, parties ever.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="clayron"] Hopeless, you're some kind of moron aren't you? What is disturbing is not the fact that the party was thrown, which in-and-out itself is ridiculous, but the fact that people actually attended it. clayron

Who said I took offense. I was asking if you were a moron. I have seen parties like this before, nothing to get worked up about. And I have never once heard of a party meant specifically to mock a white stereotype.

Generally people don't ask that out of the blue...

And someone just stated they had hillbilly day...that's a white stereotype..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"] No, they are taking the stereotype of ghetto blacks and applying to all blacks. They are mocking a whole race through a stereotype. These are kids at a university, a pretty well known one as well. People are going to take notice of what these kids do. Society doesn't care about what happens in the ghettos. Also the fact that people of one race mock another is no justification for the opposite happening.II_Seraphim_II

Black History Month is dedicated to all black Americans. And they said, and I quote:

"February marks a very important month in American society. No, i'm not referring to Valentines day or Presidents day. I'm talking about Black History month. As a time to celebrate and in hopes of showing respect, the Regents community cordially invites you to its very first Compton Cookout."

A stereotypical party in commemoration of a holiday that applies to all black americans. seems to me they are referring to all black americans.

... So if anything they were not clear enough on what they were trying to do.. Chances are if you do something this eccentric or brash no matter how good teh attentions, someone-somewhere will be offended.. Deal with it.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"] No, they are taking the stereotype of ghetto blacks and applying to all blacks. They are mocking a whole race through a stereotype. These are kids at a university, a pretty well known one as well. People are going to take notice of what these kids do. Society doesn't care about what happens in the ghettos. Also the fact that people of one race mock another is no justification for the opposite happening.II_Seraphim_II

I'm not seeing the racist or offensive part here.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

sSubZerOo

........So by your logic South Park and Family Guy are extremely racist shows? Afterall they do the same things, they make fun of every race, religion out there including all the stereotypes.. The hick jawed white guy that is extremely racist and dumb.. The ghetto stereotype of black person with gold capped teeth and what not.. Now I wouldn't personally attend the party, but people are taking it too serious.

They make fun of EVERY RACE, no just one particular race.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xTheExploited

Pirate700

Black History Month noot Ghetto Black History Month. They knew it was Black History Month so they took a specific stereotype of blacks and used it to mock them.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clayron

[QUOTE="clayron"][QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Generally people don't ask that out of the blue...

And someone just stated they had hillbilly day...that's a white stereotype..

Actually a hillbily is not necessarily a white stereotype. There a such things as black hillbillies. There are several in my family. I even have pics to prove it.