"Proof" of God. An ontological argument from sufficient reason.

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

acxler8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 acxler8
Member since 2009 • 195 Posts
there is no proof of either existence or non existence of god...
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts

[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="bangell99"]

No, you can't explain what that explanation is, because there isn't one. God would not create the world if he was perfect, and no-one can provide me with a reason why. Tell me why God would do anything other than "be". Tell me that without simply saying "look at Premise 3 which I made", and I'll take this a little more seriously.

bangell99

You assume the doctrine of self-interestedness is not only a valid explanation of behaviors, but that it is applicable to god. Both of those assumptions are false.

Then what motivates God? What causes this perfect being to create irregular things like the Earth?

You are assuming that God had a direct role in the creation of earth. God could have simply created the process that earth arose out of...and why is earth irregular?
acxler8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 acxler8
Member since 2009 • 195 Posts
A statement can be called self contradictory when there is a proof AGAINST it, not when there is no proof FOR it...
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

[QUOTE="DigitalExile"]

I've seen these arguments before and you're applying logic to the assumption that God exists. It's the same as saying "God exists, therefore, God exists". Logically, there's no flaw in the argument because it's not an argument. It's a long-winded asumption.

domatron23

I see you've encountered the ontological argument before. I do agree with your statement in regards to Anselm's, Descartes' and Plantinga's version but this version doesn't suffer from the same problem (as far as I can tell). If you think there is an assumption of Gods existence in one of the premises then feel free to identify which one it is.

I don't know who any of those people are or what that big word means.

But anyway, I think it's because the "argument" is worded/presented in such a way that it rests on his existence. You're not trying to determine IF he exists, but rather you're saying he does exist and this is why.

I remember a friend showing me something saying "this is why you can;t deny God exists" and it was a similar argument that presupposed God's existence.

It's like if I say "this red bucket is red, therefore the bucket is red." You can't deny it, because I've left no room for you to; however I left out the fact that the bucket is blue, but that fact has no place in my argument which can't be broken.

Okay, so the empirical bucket argument can easily be broken (because you could just hit me over the ehad with the blue bucket) but when we're talking about imaginary beings there's no way to argue against an "argument" that leaves no room for ... argument.

I think that made sense.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="fat_rob"] Of course it follows because you are using circular reasoning. You are starting with a definition that presupposes your conclusion and it is a definition that I will refuse to grant. You need to provide a separate argument for P2.fat_rob
Sorry I mucked up my response to you earlier. What I meant to say was that P4 follows inescapably from P2, not that it involves P3 in some way. P2 does presuppose P4 certainly but that doesn't make the argument circular. It would be circular if P2 presupposed that God exists but it doesn't, it only presupposes that if God does not exist then there is no explanation for his non-existence. The argument reaches its conclusion with P2 and P3 and neither one by itself justifies the conclusion.

The argument is entirely circular. You start with the presupposition that there is no possible explanation for why god doesn't exist and you use that presupposition as the basis for your entire argument.

That presupposition does not alone justify the conclusion though. It only leads to the actual existence of God when combined with the premise that every non-existing thing must have an explanation for why it does not exist. If premise 3 were false and things could just not exist without any reason then the argument would not conclude the existence of God. The fact that the argument doesn't work unless premise 3 is true should indicate to you that premise 2 does not presuppose the conclusion.
Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

[QUOTE="bangell99"]

[QUOTE="fat_rob"] You assume the doctrine of self-interestedness is not only a valid explanation of behaviors, but that it is applicable to god. Both of those assumptions are false.fat_rob

Then what motivates God? What causes this perfect being to create irregular things like the Earth?

You are assuming that God had a direct role in the creation of earth. God could have simply created the process that earth arose out of...and why is earth irregular?

Earth is irregular in that it is not perfect, like its supposed creator. It is nigh impossible to comprehend such a perfect being. Now if this being was perfect, why would he possibly feel the need to make anything, let alone the world, which would be a simply bizzare thing for God to dream up.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 domatron23

I don't know who any of those people are or what that big word means.

But anyway, I think it's because the "argument" is worded/presented in such a way that it rests on his existence. You're not trying to determine IF he exists, but rather you're saying he does exist and this is why.

I remember a friend showing me something saying "this is why you can;t deny God exists" and it was a similar argument that presupposed God's existence.

It's like if I say "this red bucket is red, therefore the bucket is red." You can't deny it, because I've left no room for you to; however I left out the fact that the bucket is blue, but that fact has no place in my argument which can't be broken.

Okay, so the empirical bucket argument can easily be broken (because you could just hit me over the ehad with the blue bucket) but when we're talking about imaginary beings there's no way to argue against an "argument" that leaves no room for ... argument.

I think that made sense.

DigitalExile

It made perfect sense and I understand exactly where you're coming from.

The argument isn't the equivalent of a long winded assertion of God's existence however, it's not the same as "this bucket is red therefore this bucket is red" or "God exists therefore God exists". Its more like "If God doesn't exist then X. X is impossible because of Y therefore God exists". The difference is that in my version I appeal to Y rather than just repeating an assertion.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

You can't disprove a negative.

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
I think Plato just vomited in his grave. This makes absolutely no sense. You're just dividing a series of erroneous claims into "points" to make it seem like a logical syllogism. If you can put your argument into a syllogism, the foundation of all logical thought, then we'll talk.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 fat_rob
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="domatron23"] Sorry I mucked up my response to you earlier. What I meant to say was that P4 follows inescapably from P2, not that it involves P3 in some way. P2 does presuppose P4 certainly but that doesn't make the argument circular. It would be circular if P2 presupposed that God exists but it doesn't, it only presupposes that if God does not exist then there is no explanation for his non-existence. The argument reaches its conclusion with P2 and P3 and neither one by itself justifies the conclusion.

The argument is entirely circular. You start with the presupposition that there is no possible explanation for why god doesn't exist and you use that presupposition as the basis for your entire argument.

That presupposition does not alone justify the conclusion though. It only leads to the actual existence of God when combined with the premise that every non-existing thing must have an explanation for why it does not exist. If premise 3 were false and things could just not exist without any reason then the argument would not conclude the existence of God. The fact that the argument doesn't work unless premise 3 is true should indicate to you that premise 2 does not presuppose the conclusion.

Uh no. A reformulation of this argument is simple. God is a being for which there is no possible explanation for it not existing. All things must have possible explanation for why they either exist or do not exist, but there is no possible explanation for why god does not exist, therefore god must exist because it is no possible to explain god not existing. The reasoning is ENTIRELY CIRCULAR. The other premises in your argument actually do no real work.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"] That presupposition does not alone justify the conclusion though. It only leads to the actual existence of God when combined with the premise that every non-existing thing must have an explanation for why it does not exist. If premise 3 were false and things could just not exist without any reason then the argument would not conclude the existence of God. The fact that the argument doesn't work unless premise 3 is true should indicate to you that premise 2 does not presuppose the conclusion.fat_rob
Uh no. A reformulation of this argument is simple. God is a being for which there is no possible explanation for it not existing. All things must have possible explanation for why they either exist or do not exist, but there is no possible explanation for why god does not exist, therefore god must exist because it is no possible to explain god not existing. The reasoning is ENTIRELY CIRCULAR. The other premises in your argument actually do no real work.

The bolded is a seperate premise that is not in any way implied by the definition of unsurpassable greatness. It does half the work in the argument because without it the conclusion simply wouldn't follow.

Entertain the thought that non-existent things can lack explanations for why they don't exist. If this is true does P2 still presuppose the conclusion?

DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts

You can't prove God with wordplay :|

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Well I don't believe that it does either. Nevertheless the argument "proves" the existence of an unsurpassably great being by demonstrating that it is logically impossible for one to be non-existent. domatron23
Putting it that way, the outcome of such an argument might as well not point at anything that would qualify as god.

I mean, the way I see it, even the word proof in quotation marks is innapropriate to use cause simply it isnt true. It does not prove that a god exists by far. It just leaves enough gaps to its conclusion just because a god could fall into the category of a maximally great being. But god is more than that if he/she/it exists.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 domatron23
I think Plato just vomited in his grave. This makes absolutely no sense. You're just dividing a series of erroneous claims into "points" to make it seem like a logical syllogism. If you can put your argument into a syllogism, the foundation of all logical thought, then we'll talk. hamstergeddon
I'll give it a go. P1. The non-existence of an unsurpassably great being is self-contradictory P2. If a proposition is self contradictory then it is false Therefore: the proposition that an unsurpassably great being does not exist is false
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
[QUOTE="hamstergeddon"]I think Plato just vomited in his grave. This makes absolutely no sense. You're just dividing a series of erroneous claims into "points" to make it seem like a logical syllogism. If you can put your argument into a syllogism, the foundation of all logical thought, then we'll talk. domatron23
I'll give it a go. P1. The non-existence of an unsurpassably great being is self-contradictory P2. If a proposition is self contradictory then it is false Therefore: the proposition that an unsurpassably great being does not exist is false

That is basically: "It exists because I made a character that cannot not exist" Not proof.
ImmoDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ImmoDuck
Member since 2007 • 231 Posts

[QUOTE="domatron23"]

[QUOTE="bangell99"]

Premise 3 says that everything has a purpose for existence. If God's purpose was to create the Earth... Why? Who says God has to do anything? God would just "be", if he actually existed. The route of all actions is personal gain. Even if you give to charity, you do so because you feel good, knowing that others are well. As a perfect being, God would do nothing because he requires nothing.

You didn't really answer my question.

bangell99

Premise 3 doesn't require that God gains something by being good, just that there is an explanation for anything and everything that happens. Ergo if God does something it follows that there is an explanation for why he did it. I can't identify that explanation but nevertheless that's what premise 3 implies.

No, you can't explain what that explanation is, because there isn't one. God would not create the world if he was perfect, and no-one can provide me with a reason why. Tell me why God would do anything other than "be". Tell me that without simply saying "look at Premise 3 which I made", and I'll take this a little more seriously.

In a book, Bernard Haisch argued that God has infinite potential. However, potential is not the same as experience. He could be, potentially, absolutely perfect and beyond measure, but that's not the same thing as putting His capabilities to use. Haisch said it was something along these lines: If you had a billion dollars, you wouldn't just keep it in the bank, you would spend it to get the full use out of it. He applies this to God, and goes further to say that He created the earth, the universe, etc for the experience, which he lives through us, or something along those lines.

In regards to imperfection, he argued that you can't experience everything without experiencing imperfection as well, and hence that was part of the creation. Anyway, it made for a pretty good read.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"] Well I don't believe that it does either. Nevertheless the argument "proves" the existence of an unsurpassably great being by demonstrating that it is logically impossible for one to be non-existent. Teenaged

Putting it that way, the outcome of such an argument might as well not point at anything that would qualify as god.

I mean, the way I see it, even the word proof in quotation marks is innapropriate to use cause simply it isnt true. It does not prove that a god exists by far. It just leaves enough gaps to its conclusion just because a god could fall into the category of a maximally great being. But god is more than that if he/she/it exists.

If the argument is sound then it establishes the existence of a being that is omnipotent, omniscient and wholly good. Those are generally the properties prescribed to God so I don't think that it is problematic to say that the conclusion indicates God. If you wanted to though you could simply alter the definition of maximal excellence to include every property of God and then hey presto the argument proves God.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="domatron23"] Well I don't believe that it does either. Nevertheless the argument "proves" the existence of an unsurpassably great being by demonstrating that it is logically impossible for one to be non-existent. domatron23

If the argument is sound then it establishes the existence of a being that is omnipotent, omniscient and wholly good. Those are generally the properties prescribed to God so I don't think that it is problematic to say that the conclusion indicates God. If you wanted to though you could simply alter the definition of maximal excellence to include every property of God and then hey presto the argument proves God.

Ok I might have to read it again. :P

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 BumFluff122

The definition of time is: A nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future.

Given this definition there has to be matter present in order for time to pass. If there is no matter present then changes can not occur and time will not pass. This is the reason why physicists believe that before the Big Bang there was no such thing as time. However if matter was always present (Other Big Bangs elsewhere in the space in which our Big Bang didn't happen or outside of our universe or a cyclic universe) then time would have always existed. In order to believe in a being that created the universe the universe first had to be created. If there was always matter in the universe there was never any creation to the universe and a supernaturally supreme being needn't have created us because there was nothing to be created. I believe that is a possible explanation for why he does not exist. And as mentioned before you can't factually disprove a negative. Therefor premise 4 is complete nonsense if you mean it as a factual proof. Factually prove to me that a flying spaghetti monster does not exist.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 fat_rob

[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="domatron23"] That presupposition does not alone justify the conclusion though. It only leads to the actual existence of God when combined with the premise that every non-existing thing must have an explanation for why it does not exist. If premise 3 were false and things could just not exist without any reason then the argument would not conclude the existence of God. The fact that the argument doesn't work unless premise 3 is true should indicate to you that premise 2 does not presuppose the conclusion.domatron23

The bolded is a seperate premise that is not in any way implied by the definition of unsurpassable greatness. It does half the work in the argument because without it the conclusion simply wouldn't follow.

Entertain the thought that non-existent things can lack explanations for why they don't exist. If this is true does P2 still presuppose the conclusion?

Of course if you change the premises in your argument it will alter the argument, because it will be a DIFFERENT argument. For the argument you provide in the first post, the argument is circular because it begs the question. God must exist because all things must have explanations of ontic status and by definition there is no possible explanation for God's non-existence. That is your argument. Your definition of God is an assumption that needs it's own separate argument. If you changed P3 to what you said in the previous post, then you would be forced to provide that argument, which is what I asked for in the first place.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Teenaged

P1. It is proposed that a being is maximally excellent if it is omnipotent, omniscient and wholly good

P2. It is proposed that a being is unsurpassably great if it has maximal excellence and if there is no possible explanation which accounts for its non-existence

P3. Everything that exists or does not exist has a possible explanation for why it does or does not exist

P4. If an unsurpassably great being does not exist there is no possible explanation for why he does not exist (from 2)

P5. If an unsurpassably great being does not exist there is a possible explanation for why he does not exist (from 3)

P6. The proposition that an unsurpassably great being does not exist is self-contradictory and necessarily false (from 4 and 5)

Therefore: An unsurpassably great being exists

domatron23

What do you mean there? Do you mean "if there is no possible explanation that explains why it does not exist"?

But even without clarification, still this argument, to me, seems not well constructed. Unless I cant grasp it. :P

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 domatron23

The definition of time is: A nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future.

Given this definition there has to be matter present in order for time to pass. If there is no matter present then changes can not occur and time will not pass. This is the reason why physicists believe that before the Big Bang there was no such thing as time. However if matter was always present (Other Big Bangs elsewhere in the space in which our Big Bang didn't happen or outside of our universe or a cyclic universe) then time would have always existed. In order to believe in a being that created the universe the universe first had to be created. If there was always matter in the universe there was never any creation to the universe and a supernaturally supreme being needn't have created us because there was nothing to be created. I believe that is a possible explanation for why he does not exist. And as mentioned before you can't factually disprove a negative. Therefor premise 4 is complete nonsense if you mean it as a factual proof. Factually prove to me that a flying spaghetti monster does not exist.

BumFluff122
If you're claiming that there is a possible explanation for an unsurpassably great being then you're talking nonsense because the definition of unsurpassable greatness precludes just that.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Teenaged

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

domatron23

If you're claiming that there is a possible explanation for an unsurpassably great being then you're talking nonsense because the definition of unsurpassable greatness precludes just that.

But isnt that premise ("god is something we cannot understand/grasp/comprehend therefore we cannot judge/doubt about") that most theists claim and then we tend to tell them that that is no real argument?

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#75 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
That unsurpassably great being doesn't necessarily have to be god. I could be that unsurpassably great being.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 domatron23
Of course if you change the premises in your argument it will alter the argument, because it will be a DIFFERENT argument. For the argument you provide in the first post, the argument is circular because it begs the question. God must exist because all things must have explanations of ontic status and by definition there is no possible explanation for God's non-existence. That is your argument. Your definition of God is an assumption that needs it's own separate argument. If you changed P3 to what you said in the previous post, then you would be forced to provide that argument, which is what I asked for in the first place.fat_rob
I'm not changing any of the premises I'm only proposing that one of them (P3) is false. The argument can remain the same but if P3 isn't true then the conclusion doesn't follow which means that it isn't circular. I don't see how the definition of unsurpassable greatness needs an argument all of its own. Its just a definition for a theoretical entity not an assertion of any kind.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"]

P1. It is proposed that a being is maximally excellent if it is omnipotent, omniscient and wholly good

P2. It is proposed that a being is unsurpassably great if it has maximal excellence and if there is no possible explanation which accounts for its non-existence

P3. Everything that exists or does not exist has a possible explanation for why it does or does not exist

P4. If an unsurpassably great being does not exist there is no possible explanation for why he does not exist (from 2)

P5. If an unsurpassably great being does not exist there is a possible explanation for why he does not exist (from 3)

P6. The proposition that an unsurpassably great being does not exist is self-contradictory and necessarily false (from 4 and 5)

Teenaged

What do you mean there? Do you mean "if there is no possible explanation that explains why it does not exist"?

But even without clarification, still this argument, to me, seems not well constructed. Unless I cant grasp it. :P

Yeah that's what I meant. Sorry for any sloppiness, I tried to be as clear as possible with my wording.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

domatron23

If you're claiming that there is a possible explanation for an unsurpassably great being then you're talking nonsense because the definition of unsurpassable greatnesss precludes just that.

I gave you an explanation of why an unsurpassably great being doesn't have to exist. The idea of there having to be an unsurpasably great being is specifically so one can explain the origins of the universe we live in. If the universe didn't have a beginning then there is no need for a being which you describe. And, as stated, even for a nonmaximally great being one can not prove it's non existence because it's impossible to disprove a negative.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Vandalvideo
]I gave you an explanation of why an unsurpassably great being doesn't have to exist. The idea of there having to be an unsurpasably great being is specifically so one can explain the origins of the universe we live in. If the universe didn't have a beginning then there is no need for a being which you describe. And, as stated, even for a nonmaximally great being one can not prove it's non existence because it's impossible to disprove a negativeBumFluff122
By mere virtue of the term, unsurpassably great being, the unsurpassably great being does exist. However, you cannot use that to prove god. An unsurpassably great being doesn't necessarily have the qualities of omnicisience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]]I gave you an explanation of why an unsurpassably great being doesn't have to exist. The idea of there having to be an unsurpasably great being is specifically so one can explain the origins of the universe we live in. If the universe didn't have a beginning then there is no need for a being which you describe. And, as stated, even for a nonmaximally great being one can not prove it's non existence because it's impossible to disprove a negativeVandalvideo
By mere virtue of the term, unsurpassably great being, the unsurpassably great being does exist. However, you cannot use that to prove god. An unsurpassably great being doesn't necessarily have the qualities of omnicisience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence.

I seem to have skipped a few premises ahead when I didn't have to.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 domatron23
[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]]I gave you an explanation of why an unsurpassably great being doesn't have to exist. The idea of there having to be an unsurpasably great being is specifically so one can explain the origins of the universe we live in. If the universe didn't have a beginning then there is no need for a being which you describe. And, as stated, even for a nonmaximally great being one can not prove it's non existence because it's impossible to disprove a negativeVandalvideo

Yes it does. Go back to page one and read premise one and two again.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="domatron23"][ Yes it does. Go back to page one and read premise one and two again.

No, it doesn't. The problem with your argument is that when you try to define the unsurpasably great being is when your entire argument falls apart. An unsurpassably great being can be reffered to as, that of which there IS no greater. You cannot start the argument saying; There is that thing which is omnipotent. That would, indeed, be circular reasoning. Alternatively, here is a modern objection to the argument. To say that there is something unsurpassably great that is, and then go on to define it, is subject to counter examples. I can think of an unsurpassably great island with the perfect ammount of hoola dancers, tiki bars, and nice GNTs. That doesn't mean that such an island does exist. However, there is, by virtue of the wording, an island of which there is no greater, which does have a relatively great ammount of tiki bars, hoola dancers, and GNTs. You cannot define that being at the beginning.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 domatron23

I gave you an explanation of why an unsurpassably great being doesn't have to exist. The idea of there having to be an unsurpasably great being is specifically so one can explain the origins of the universe we live in. If the universe didn't have a beginning then there is no need for a being which you describe. And, as stated, even for a nonmaximally great being one can not prove it's non existence because it's impossible to disprove a negative.

BumFluff122

Your claim that you've provided a possible explanation for the non-existence of an unsurpassingly great being doesn't make sense. It's like saying that you've drawn a triangle with four sides, it just doesn't work.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 domatron23
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="domatron23"] Yes it does. Go back to page one and read premise one and two again.

No, it doesn't. The problem with your argument is that when you try to define the unsurpasably great being is when your entire argument falls apart. An unsurpassably great being can be reffered to as, that of which there IS no greater. You cannot start the argument saying; There is that thing which is omnipotent. That would, indeed, be circular reasoning. Alternatively, here is a modern objection to the argument. To say that there is something unsurpassably great that is, and then go on to define it, is subject to counter examples. I can think of an unsurpassably great island with the perfect ammount of hoola dancers, tiki bars, and nice GNTs. That doesn't mean that such an island does exist. However, there is, by virtue of the wording, an island of which there is no greater, which does have a relatively great ammount of tiki bars, hoola dancers, and GNTs. You cannot define that being at the beginning.

Your confusing this argument with Anselm's ontological argument. They're not the same thing and most importantly the definition of an unsurpassingly great being is not the same as "a being than which there is no greater". Seriously go back and read premise 1 and 2 again to see why omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence are included in unsurpassable greatness. Also the lost island counter example is about 900 years old which I would hardly call modern.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="domatron23"] Your confusing this argument with Anselm's ontological argument. They're not the same thing and most importantly the definition of an unsurpassingly great being is not the same as "a being than which there is no greater". Seriously go back and read premise 1 and 2 again to see why omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence are included in unsurpassable greatness. Also the lost island counter example is about 900 years old which I would hardly call modern.

It is basically the same as Anselm's argument. You have to realize the connotations behind the words that you're actually using. When you say, "Unsurpassably great being" you are saying "A thing which cannot be surpassed which exists". That is the substantive version of the wording itself. It is synonymous with "that of which there IS no great, that of which nothing exists which surpasses it". You don't have to be ALL powerful, ALL knowing, and ALL loving in order to not be able to be surpassed. And the lost island counter example perfectly illustrates how flawed your reasoning is. You don't have to BE all knowing to be unsurpassable. There isn't anything inherent about those qualities in an unsurpassble great being.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 domatron23
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="domatron23"] Your confusing this argument with Anselm's ontological argument. They're not the same thing and most importantly the definition of an unsurpassingly great being is not the same as "a being than which there is no greater". Seriously go back and read premise 1 and 2 again to see why omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence are included in unsurpassable greatness. Also the lost island counter example is about 900 years old which I would hardly call modern.

It is basically the same as Anselm's argument. You have to realize the connotations behind the words that you're actually using. When you say, "Unsurpassably great being" you are saying "A thing which cannot be surpassed which exists". That is the substantive version of the wording itself. It is synonymous with "that of which there IS no great, that of which nothing exists which surpasses it". You don't have to be ALL powerful, ALL knowing, and ALL loving in order to not be able to be surpassed. And the lost island counter example perfectly illustrates how flawed your reasoning is. You don't have to BE all knowing to be unsurpassable. There isn't anything inherent about those qualities in an unsurpassble great being.

If the term "unsurpassable greatness" is a problem for you then discard it, it's a fairly arbitrary term anyway. Think of the being in premise 2 as "entity X" that way you wont get tripped up by the flaws in Anselm's argument.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

domatron23

The fourth statement only follows the last segment of the secondary premise. An 'unsurpassably great being' must exist to precede the condition that 'there is no possible explanation which account for its non-existence'. The fourth proposition, hypothesizing that 'if [God]... does not exist' contradicts the first portion of the secondary premise and invalidates the other segment, as the last portion is dependent on the first ('if [God exists]... its non-existence [cannot be explained]'), while the fourth propositon says 'its non-existence [cannot be explained] if [God] does not exist'.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 domatron23
Allrighty I'm off now. I'll check back to see if anyone has given the argument a good whooping later.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="domatron23"] If the term "unsurpassable greatness" is a problem for you then discard it, it's a fairly arbitrary term anyway. Think of the being in premise 2 as "entity X" that way you wont get tripped up by the flaws in Anselm's argument.

Unsurpassable greatness was kind of the whole point of your argument in the first place. Give me another quantifier then. If it isn't unsurpassable greatness, what is it?
makiveli100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 makiveli100
Member since 2008 • 507 Posts

No "Proof" here. Just you saying what you believe.

-_Rain_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 -_Rain_-
Member since 2009 • 886 Posts

Congratulations; you've used an argument that even monks have refuted.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

[QUOTE="bangell99"]

[QUOTE="domatron23"] Premise 3 doesn't require that God gains something by being good, just that there is an explanation for anything and everything that happens. Ergo if God does something it follows that there is an explanation for why he did it. I can't identify that explanation but nevertheless that's what premise 3 implies.

ImmoDuck

In a book, Bernard Haisch argued that God has infinite potential. However, potential is not the same as experience. He could be, potentially, absolutely perfect and beyond measure, but that's not the same thing as putting His capabilities to use. Haisch said it was something along these lines: If you had a billion dollars, you wouldn't just keep it in the bank, you would spend it to get the full use out of it. He applies this to God, and goes further to say that He created the earth, the universe, etc for the experience, which he lives through us, or something along those lines.

In regards to imperfection, he argued that you can't experience everything without experiencing imperfection as well, and hence that was part of the creation. Anyway, it made for a pretty good read.

That sounds quite interesting, but I don't see why this perfect being, who I agree has infinite potential, would ever feel the need to experience anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
If this were true there wouldn't be debate in the philosophy realm of things on the idea of god.. But there is. Fail.
ImmoDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ImmoDuck
Member since 2007 • 231 Posts

[QUOTE="ImmoDuck"]

[QUOTE="bangell99"]

bangell99

That sounds quite interesting, but I don't see why this perfect being, who I agree has infinite potential, would ever feel the need to experience anything.

He goes more in depth in the book, and I may be hazy on his argument, but it would be mainly because having the potential to do anything, but not experiencing or realizing this potential makes it wasted and/or pointless, I suppose. Just like the "billion dollars" metaphor he used. The book was moreso about quantum mechanics /consciousness though.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#95 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

If this were true there wouldn't be debate in the philosophy realm of things on the idea of god.. But there is. Fail.sSubZerOo
Philosophers aren't all knowing. It's a little dangerous to think the few philosophers that are left have to come up with all the answers. Usually they find inspiration in something outside their realm of investigation or it's the people who practise it in their spare time. Got to give him a little more credit for trying something so brave as stating to have unusual proof.
I think i know a lot of answers to questions in science but i don't dare to say anything at all because nothing that takes effort to understand is taken seriously unless You're a schoolbook or have authority.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#96 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Needs moar Douglas Gasking.

1. The creation of the world (or universe) is the most marvelous achievement imaginable.
2. The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.
3. The greater the disability (or handicap) of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.
4. The most formidable handicap for a creator would be non-existence.
5. Therefore if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator we can conceive a greater being - namely, one who created everything while not existing.
6. And existing God therefore would not be a being greater than which a greater cannot be conceived because an even more formidable and incredible creator would be a God which did not exist.

Ergo:

7. God does not exist.

I hate how mere words are applied as "proof" of something. Assumptions about conceptual abstractions are not proof.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Needs moar Douglas Gasking.

1. The creation of the world (or universe) is the most marvelous achievement imaginable.
2. The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.
3. The greater the disability (or handicap) of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.
4. The most formidable handicap for a creator would be non-existence.
5. Therefore if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator we can conceive a greater being - namely, one who created everything while not existing.
6. And existing God therefore would not be a being greater than which a greater cannot be conceived because an even more formidable and incredible creator would be a God which did not exist.

Ergo:

7. God does not exist.

I hate how mere words are applied as "proof" of something. Assumptions about conceptual abstractions are not proof.

foxhound_fox

Interesting idea. Took me a while to work that out. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#98 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
I've heard this all before... but less formal, I guess. Anyway, I would argue, but then I'd just be repeating what everyone else has already said.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

domatron23

My friend, I leave you with one quote:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"

-Epicurus

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#100 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="domatron23"]

chessmaster1989

My friend, I leave you with one quote:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"

-Epicurus

Nobody said God is nice.

Hmm wait.
I think someone did.
Well there is always the God doesn't make sense to us argument.