"Proof" of God. An ontological argument from sufficient reason.

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

P1. It is proposed that a being is maximally excellent if it is omnipotent, omniscient and wholly good

P2. It is proposed that a being is unsurpassably great if it has maximal excellence and if there is no possible explanation which accounts for its non-existence

P3. Everything that exists or does not exist has a possible explanation for why it does or does not exist

P4. If an unsurpassably great being does not exist there is no possible explanation for why he does not exist (from 2)

P5. If an unsurpassably great being does not exist there is a possible explanation for why he does not exist (from 3)

P6. The proposition that an unsurpassably great being does not exist is self-contradictory and necessarily false (from 4 and 5)

Therefore: An unsurpassably great being exists

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Enough with these arguments. They don't prove anything.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

domatron23

Yeah, me.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 domatron23

Hang on. You're basing a later part of your argument on what seems to be just an assumption.

Funky_Llama

Are you referring to premise 2?

I'm not assuming that an unsurpassably great being has no possible explanation for its non-existence, I'm defining an unsurpassably great being as something which has no possible explanation for its non-existence (and the qualities of God).

EDIT: Huh, your post just disappeared.

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Hang on. You're basing a later part of your argument on what seems to be just an assumption.

domatron23

Are you referring to premise 2?

I'm not assuming that an unsurpassably great being has no possible explanation for its non-existence, I'm defining an unsurpassably great being as something which has no possible explanation for its non-existence (and the qualities of God).

EDIT: Huh, your post just disappeared.

Proof of God?

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
EDIT: Huh, your post just disappeared.domatron23
Yeah, that would be because I'd misread your post... :oops:
Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

I fail to see how this proves anything at all.

If God was truly perfect, he would have little reason to exist, or indeed to do anything. Why create this world if he was perfect?

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
That logic makes no sense whatsoever...
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
An argument isn't proof. You need evidence, otherwise its just speculation.
gameie1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gameie1994
Member since 2005 • 353 Posts

Should we have a religon Board or will some irreversiable disaster unfold?

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Funky_Llama
It seems to me that this argument would work for pretty much any qualities... there's nothing really special here about omnipotence, omniscience and... ehm... wholly goodness. You could stick pretty much any other qualities in there and prove whatever the hell you wanted to.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 domatron23

I fail to see how this proves anything at all.bangell99

Well I don't believe that it does either. Nevertheless the argument "proves" the existence of an unsurpassably great being by demonstrating that it is logically impossible for one to be non-existent.

If God was truly perfect, he would have little reason to exist, or indeed to do anything. Why create this world if he was perfect?

bangell99
Well this argument (purportedly) provides the reason for Gods existence and furthermore it states that God must have reasons to do the things that he does (premise 3).
LOLuMADzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LOLuMADzz
Member since 2008 • 299 Posts

Everything must either exist or not exist.

If it does exist it will eventually be destroyed. If all things were just accidents eventually all would be destroyed. Everything which exists must have had a cause for its existence and the chain of causes can't go back indefinitely.

There must have been something which always existed. That thing is God.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
Your twisted logic doesn't prove God exists.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Funky_Llama

LOLuMADzz

How do you know it's God?

This_Is_Not

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 This_Is_Not
Member since 2003 • 2421 Posts
Only when I see God's dead corpse will I know he existed...
Dark-Sithious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dark-Sithious
Member since 2008 • 3914 Posts

Yes it is impossible for something that exists to be non-existing, but then you have to assume it actually exists am I right? :P

I believe in God btw :D

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 domatron23
It seems to me that this argument would work for pretty much any qualities... there's nothing really special here about omnipotence, omniscience and... ehm... wholly goodness. You could stick pretty much any other qualities in there and prove whatever the hell you wanted to.Funky_Llama
Yeah defining unsurpassable greatness with omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence is pretty much arbitrary. If I were to defend the point though I would say that power, knowledge and benevolence are "great" properties and therefore must belong in the definition of unsurpassable greatness as opposed to say, weakness, ignorance and malevolence.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 domatron23

Yes it is impossible for something that exists to be non-existing, but then you have to assume it actually exists am I right? :P

Dark-Sithious
That's not quite the way the argument works. It doesn't draw a contradiction between God existing and not existing it draws a contradiction between God's non-existence being explainable and not explainable.
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

Proof that god exists: Marijuana

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts
words will not prove or disprove god
Dark-Sithious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dark-Sithious

[QUOTE="Dark-Sithious"]

domatron23

That's not quite the way the argument works. It doesn't draw a contradiction between God existing and not existing it draws a contradiction between God's non-existence being explainable and not explainable.

I have thenyet to see a flaw in your logic, well done

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts

Proof that god exists: Marijuana

shoot-first
i retract my previous statement
Dark-Sithious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dark-Sithious

P1. It is proposed that a being is maximally excellent if it is omnipotent, omniscient and wholly good

P2. It is proposed that a being is unsurpassably great if it has maximal excellence and if there is no possible explanation which accounts for its non-existence

P3. Everything that exists or does not exist has a possible explanation for why it does or does not exist

P4. If an unsurpassably great being does not exist there is no possible explanation for why he does not exist (from 2)

P5. If an unsurpassably great being does not exist there is a possible explanation for why he does not exist (from 3)

P6. The proposition that an unsurpassably great being does not exist is self-contradictory and necessarily false (from 4 and 5)

domatron23

Although you could draw question marks to several of your points.

A maximally great being that does not exist, naturally has an explanation to why it doesn't exist, following your point P3, Everything that exists or does not exist has a possible explanation for why it does or does not exist. Therefor P2 contradicts P3 making your logic flawed, so you're using a contradiction to make a contradiction to prove your point, whic imo is an inheretly flawed mechanism.

The only way your logic would work, is if God exists(which he may do ofc), so P2 assumes the existence of God, at least that's how I see it.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts
you are not entitled to half of those premises...namely 2, 4, and 6
joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#27 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

An argument isn't proof. You need evidence, otherwise its just speculation.Bourbons3

evidence is always lacking in these threads, and i wish they people would stop using the word "proof"

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"]

Dark-Sithious

A maximally great being that does not exist, naturally has an explanation to why it doesn't exist, following your point P3, Everything that exists or does not exist has a possible explanation for why it does or does not exist. Therefor P2 contradicts P3 making your logic flawed, so you're using a contradiction to make a contradiction to prove your point, whic imo is an inheretly flawed mechanism.

The only way your logic would work, is if God exists(which he may do ofc), so P2 assumes the existence of God, at least that's how I see it.

Very good, you've spotted the main problem. Ten points are awarded to Dark-Sithious. Nevertheless it can be said that P2 doesn't contradict P3 if and only if an unsurpassably great being exists. The truth of P3 is therefore conditional on the existence of an unsurpassably great being but that doesn't mean that P2 assumes the existence of God.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 domatron23
you are not entitled to half of those premises...namely 2, 4, and 6fat_rob
Okay, I suppose that means that there is something fundamentally wrong with the definition of unsurpassable greatness. What is it exactly?
Dark-Sithious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dark-Sithious

[QUOTE="Dark-Sithious"]

[QUOTE="domatron23"]

domatron23

Very good, you've spotted the main problem. Ten points are awarded to Dark-Sithious. Nevertheless it can be said that P2 doesn't contradict P3 if and only if an unsurpassably great being exists. The truth of P3 is therefore conditional on the existence of an unsurpassably great being but that doesn't mean that P2 assumes the existence of God.

Wohoo! 10 points for me! :P

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19584 Posts

domatron23

How can a wholly good, omnipotent omniscient being exist, when injustices occur in the world?
A being that is unsurpassably great would not sit by and let them happen - if he does, then there's a conceivable being which is clearly greater than him (one that actually stops them) and *does not exist*. So...in that sense, God clearly doesn't exist?
Either that or your definitions are wrong.

Oh, and aren't there plenty of arguments against necessary existence? For example, didn't Kant argue that existence wasn't actually a property that could be attributed to things, but rather it simply describes things in relation to the real world? So you can give God as properties as you like, but none of them can imply existence...although I could be wrong about that.

Hm, also, assuming that your arguments are true, surely that 'proves' that an omnipotent being of pure evil also exists (since the worst possible being would be unsurpassably evil if it existed, therefore it must exist). Can two opposite being be omnipotent, or would that render them both totally powerless?

Everything must either exist or not exist.

If it does exist it will eventually be destroyed. If all things were just accidents eventually all would be destroyed. Everything which exists must have had a cause for its existence and the chain of causes can't go back indefinitely.

LOLuMADzz

You say that everything that exists must have a cause. Then you say that there must be something that must not have a cause - God. These two statements contradict eachother - they can't both be true.

If the first is false, it doesn't prove God - it just shows that any number of things may or may not have causes. That could mean any number of 'Gods', or just...chaos.

If the second is false, then the chain of causes goes back indefinitely. I'm not sure what that means, but it could be possible, I suppose.

Either way, neither proves that there's an intelligent or powerful being or God.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 domatron23
An argument isn't proof. You need evidence, otherwise its just speculation.Bourbons3
Well I did put proof in inverted commas didn't I? In any case though this argument is not meant to be empirical, it's strictly a priori.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"]you are not entitled to half of those premises...namely 2, 4, and 6domatron23
Okay, I suppose that means that there is something fundamentally wrong with the definition of unsurpassable greatness. What is it exactly?

Nope, you need to provide a separate argument for why there is no possible explanation for why god doesn't exist. Atm, that claim is unsupported and makes your reasoning circular.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"]

Meh the argument from evil is kind of beyond the scope of this thread. *insert theodicy here*.

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]Either that or your definitions are wrong.Planeforger

If you want to you could think of maximal excellence as just omnipotence and omniscience and leave out omnibenevolence.

Oh, and aren't there plenty of arguments against necessary existence? For example, didn't Kant argue that existence wasn't actually a property that could be attributed to things, but rather it simply describes things in relation to the real world? So you can give God as properties as you like, but none of them can imply existence...although I could be wrong about that.Planeforger

Yeah thats true, existence cannot form part of the definition of something. I didn't define the unsurpassably great being with existence though nor does the definition in and of itself imply necessary existence. We can only conclude existence by the virtue of premise 2 and premise 3 combined.

Hm, also, assuming that your arguments are true, surely that 'proves' that an omnipotent being of pure evil also exists (since the worst possible being would be unsurpassably evil if it existed, therefore it must exist). Can two opposite being be omnipotent, or would that render them both totally powerless?

Planeforger

Hmm I suppose that one might be able to say that an unsurpassably evil being would also be defined as having no explanation for its non-existence. Like I said earlier though, if I were to defend this argument I would claim that the lack of an explanation for non-existence is a "great" characteristic rather than an "evil" characteristic.

The arbitrary definition of unsurpassable greatness is certainly a problem though.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]An argument isn't proof. You need evidence, otherwise its just speculation.domatron23
Well I did put proof in inverted commas didn't I? In any case though this argument is not meant to be empirical, it's strictly a priori.

An argument is what defined proof.
You can win this argument easily domatron23, but it is not where things go wrong.
Let me show.

P4 If an unsurpassably great being does not exist, there is no possible explanation for why he does not exist.
P4 is based on the thought experiment in which an unsurpassably great being does not exist.
Then to validify P4 You point to P2, which states: It is proposed that a being is unsurpassably great if it has maximal excellence and if there is no possible explanation which accounts for its non-existence. That is the thought experiment in which an unsurpassably great being exists.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

[QUOTE="bangell99"]

I fail to see how this proves anything at all.domatron23

Well I don't believe that it does either. Nevertheless the argument "proves" the existence of an unsurpassably great being by demonstrating that it is logically impossible for one to be non-existent.

bangell99

Well this argument (purportedly) provides the reason for Gods existence and furthermore it states that God must have reasons to do the things that he does (premise 3).

Premise 3 says that everything has a purpose for existence. If God's purpose was to create the Earth... Why? Who says God has to do anything? God would just "be", if he actually existed. The route of all actions is personal gain. Even if you give to charity, you do so because you feel good, knowing that others are well. As a perfect being, God would do nothing because he requires nothing.

You didn't really answer my question.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="fat_rob"]you are not entitled to half of those premises...namely 2, 4, and 6fat_rob

Nope, you need to provide a separate argument for why there is no possible explanation for why god doesn't exist. Atm, that claim is unsupported and makes your reasoning circular.

EDIT: hang on sorry I got confused there.

Premise 4 follows logically from the definition of unsurpassable greatness. Its not circular its valid logic.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fat_rob

the claim that all beings only act in their own self-interest is a bad theory because it provides no explanatory power. No matter what inputs you use, the outcome is the same. Thus the claim is unfalsifiable and thus is not a good theory of explanation of behaviors and actions.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fat_rob
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="domatron23"] Okay, I suppose that means that there is something fundamentally wrong with the definition of unsurpassable greatness. What is it exactly?

Premise 4 follows deductively from premises 2 and 3. I mistakenly justified P4 by referring only to P2 though so I better fix that up.

Of course it follows because you are using circular reasoning. You are starting with a definition that presupposes your conclusion and it is a definition that I will refuse to grant. You need to provide a separate argument for P2.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

I've seen these arguments before and you're applying logic to the assumption that God exists. It's the same as saying "God exists, therefore, God exists". Logically, there's no flaw in the argument because it's not an argument. It's a long-winded asumption.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"]Well this argument (purportedly) provides the reason for Gods existence and furthermore it states that God must have reasons to do the things that he does (premise 3).bangell99

Premise 3 says that everything has a purpose for existence. If God's purpose was to create the Earth... Why? Who says God has to do anything? God would just "be", if he actually existed. The route of all actions is personal gain. Even if you give to charity, you do so because you feel good, knowing that others are well. As a perfect being, God would do nothing because he requires nothing.

Premise 3 doesn't require that God gains something by being good, just that there is an explanation for anything and everything that happens. Ergo if God does something it follows that there is an explanation for why he did it. I can't identify that explanation but nevertheless that's what premise 3 implies.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

there is no such thing as god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

[QUOTE="bangell99"]

[QUOTE="domatron23"]Well this argument (purportedly) provides the reason for Gods existence and furthermore it states that God must have reasons to do the things that he does (premise 3).domatron23

Premise 3 doesn't require that God gains something by being good, just that there is an explanation for anything and everything that happens. Ergo if God does something it follows that there is an explanation for why he did it. I can't identify that explanation but nevertheless that's what premise 3 implies.

No, you can't explain what that explanation is, because there isn't one. God would not create the world if he was perfect, and no-one can provide me with a reason why. Tell me why God would do anything other than "be". Tell me that without simply saying "look at Premise 3 which I made", and I'll take this a little more seriously.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 domatron23
Of course it follows because you are using circular reasoning. You are starting with a definition that presupposes your conclusion and it is a definition that I will refuse to grant. You need to provide a separate argument for P2.fat_rob
Sorry I mucked up my response to you earlier. What I meant to say was that P4 follows inescapably from P2, not that it involves P3 in some way. P2 does presuppose P4 certainly but that doesn't make the argument circular. It would be circular if P2 presupposed that God exists but it doesn't, it only presupposes that if God does not exist then there is no explanation for his non-existence. The argument reaches its conclusion with P2 and P3 and neither one by itself justifies the conclusion.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

This is as deep as Christians saying the God exists becouse scientists/atheists cant prove he doesnt and Atheists saying that God doesnt exist becouse Christians cant prove that he does.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fat_rob

[QUOTE="domatron23"]

[QUOTE="bangell99"]

bangell99

No, you can't explain what that explanation is, because there isn't one. God would not create the world if he was perfect, and no-one can provide me with a reason why. Tell me why God would do anything other than "be". Tell me that without simply saying "look at Premise 3 which I made", and I'll take this a little more seriously.

You assume the doctrine of self-interestedness is not only a valid explanation of behaviors, but that it is applicable to god. Both of those assumptions are false.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 domatron23

I've seen these arguments before and you're applying logic to the assumption that God exists. It's the same as saying "God exists, therefore, God exists". Logically, there's no flaw in the argument because it's not an argument. It's a long-winded asumption.

DigitalExile
I see you've encountered the ontological argument before. I do agree with your statement in regards to Anselm's, Descartes' and Plantinga's version but this version doesn't suffer from the same problem (as far as I can tell). If you think there is an assumption of Gods existence in one of the premises then feel free to identify which one it is.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"] Of course it follows because you are using circular reasoning. You are starting with a definition that presupposes your conclusion and it is a definition that I will refuse to grant. You need to provide a separate argument for P2.domatron23
Sorry I mucked up my response to you earlier. What I meant to say was that P4 follows inescapably from P2, not that it involves P3 in some way. P2 does presuppose P4 certainly but that doesn't make the argument circular. It would be circular if P2 presupposed that God exists but it doesn't, it only presupposes that if God does not exist then there is no explanation for his non-existence. The argument reaches its conclusion with P2 and P3 and neither one by itself justifies the conclusion.

The argument is entirely circular. You start with the presupposition that there is no possible explanation for why god doesn't exist and you use that presupposition as the basis for your entire argument.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

[QUOTE="bangell99"]

[QUOTE="domatron23"] Premise 3 doesn't require that God gains something by being good, just that there is an explanation for anything and everything that happens. Ergo if God does something it follows that there is an explanation for why he did it. I can't identify that explanation but nevertheless that's what premise 3 implies.

fat_rob

You assume the doctrine of self-interestedness is not only a valid explanation of behaviors, but that it is applicable to god. Both of those assumptions are false.

Then what motivates God? What causes this perfect being to create irregular things like the Earth?

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fat_rob
[QUOTE="DigitalExile"]

domatron23
I see you've encountered the ontological argument before. I do agree with your statement in regards to Anselm's, Descartes' and Plantinga's version but this version doesn't suffer from the same problem (as far as I can tell). If you think there is an assumption of Gods existence in one of the premises then feel free to identify which one it is.

You do suffer from the same problem, you just word it differently in your argument.