"Everyone Draw Holocaust Day" - June 30th ... Discussion ONLY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts

It's not a law, but a test the US Supreme Court uses to determine obscene speech, which they say falls outside the purview of free speech (I don't think it does though). Here's a Reason.tv video on a soon-to-be-heard obscenity case. There's more on that site about free speech and limitations in America if you look. Look at the DISCOLSE Act. It's gonna greatly restrict speech if it passes.

fat_rob

Well if the one case makes it on TV, I don't think the law is used that often :? It looks like a very vague law to begin with. I also don't think that Discole Act will pass - nothing's going to change anytime soon.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#102 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
No, their art isn't more valuable, it's just that their point in drawing Muhammad has more oomph since there is an entire segment of a religion trying to prevent them from depicting Muhammad and threatened violence against Matt and Trey if they did so. No one is telling people not to draw pictures of the holocaust. Can important points be made by depicting the holocaust? Yes, but the points would be amplified if people where actually against drawing the holocaust. fat_rob
It isn't the entire religion, but merely fringe elements that are trying to prevent it. And it isn't like they have any real power to prevent it in the first place. These people have the power, if they so choose, to draw Muhammed. Their drawing Muhammed furthers no particular agenda or goal. It does not protect any particular right more-so than it was before. Such rights are protected by law. However, their actions are also instigating violence and creating civil unrest. They are borderline sociopaths who are engaging in pointless activities with no real value knowing full well they are inciting violence. That is immaturity on the greatest level, far more than chili jokes.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts
[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]No, there was probably about as much outcry about their cartoon as there will be from this day. Only this time it will get far less publicity.jimmyjammer69
The outcry exists for different reasons though. This outcry is because it's just a blatant attempt to be offensive. The Muhammad day was to a reaction against a prohibition. See the difference?

No. There was no prohibition, just outcry.

:| You must be unfamiliar with Islamic law. Islamic law prohibits depictions of Muhammad. Muslim outcry was based on the prohibition found in Islamic Law (think about it, if the law didn't prohibit the draws, why would Muslims be mad?). The outcry to the holocaust day will be based solely on a feeling of being offended, it will not be rooted in Jewish law. Thee groundings for the outcries are different in kind. One exists because of a prohibition and the other is because of emotions.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]

who is the genius who came up with this idea? Lets see what is going to happen. According to freedom of speech and the arguments I heard about the Muhammad day, this should be 100% legal which is quiet disgusting if this is how things are. "I may not like it, but I can't stop you", lets see how this argument will hold.

anyway is this just on FB? is so then this topic is so fail.

dkrustyklown

It is legal. If someone wants to make light of the holocaust, then that is his or her right. On the flip side, one could draw images of the holocaust in order to draw attention to its horrors in the hope that such an event never happens again.

Freedom of speech is great. Someone can make a joke out of something while someone else can use it to make a statement.

dont get me wrong, freedom of speech is something amazing to be honest, and here in Gaza, its something I suffer from the lack of it every single day. But still,there must be a sense of morality to it.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Famiking
[QUOTE="BiancaDK"] The US obviously has much greater media censorship than the countries listed higher, it's quite apparent for all to see.

Like I said, it's self-reported. So incidents such as Comedy Central censoring South Park would be counted as restriction of freedom of the press. You can have complete freedom of press by law (the US) but if your company says you can't publish this or that, it will be counted as restriction of freedom of the press. "The report is based on a questionnaire [23] sent to partner organizations of Reporters Without Borders (14 freedom of expression groups in five continents) and its 130 correspondents around the world, as well as to journalists, researchers, jurists and human rights activists"
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="fat_rob"] The outcry exists for different reasons though. This outcry is because it's just a blatant attempt to be offensive. The Muhammad day was to a reaction against a prohibition. See the difference? fat_rob

:| You must be unfamiliar with Islamic law. Islamic law prohibits depictions of Muhammad. Muslim outcry was based on the prohibition found in Islamic Law (think about it, if the law didn't prohibit the draws, why would Muslims be mad?). The outcry to the holocaust day will be based solely on a feeling of being offended, it will not be rooted in Jewish law. Thee groundings for the outcries are different in kind. One exists because of a prohibition and the other is because of emotions.

Erm... so Muslims chose not to draw Mohammed for religious reasons but the people who did had never been prohibited from doing so. I don't see your point at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="fat_rob"] The outcry exists for different reasons though. This outcry is because it's just a blatant attempt to be offensive. The Muhammad day was to a reaction against a prohibition. See the difference? fat_rob

That depends entirely.. Countries like Egypt are secular nations and don't enforce that.. Your stereotyping a entire religion... When those types of things arn't enforced nor cared about in large portions of the region..

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"] No, their art isn't more valuable, it's just that their point in drawing Muhammad has more oomph since there is an entire segment of a religion trying to prevent them from depicting Muhammad and threatened violence against Matt and Trey if they did so. No one is telling people not to draw pictures of the holocaust. Can important points be made by depicting the holocaust? Yes, but the points would be amplified if people where actually against drawing the holocaust. Vandalvideo
It isn't the entire religion, but merely fringe elements that are trying to prevent it. And it isn't like they have any real power to prevent it in the first place. These people have the power, if they so choose, to draw Muhammed. Their drawing Muhammed furthers no particular agenda or goal. It does not protect any particular right more-so than it was before. Such rights are protected by law. However, their actions are also instigating violence and creating civil unrest. They are borderline sociopaths who are engaging in pointless activities with no real value knowing full well they are inciting violence. That is immaturity on the greatest level, far more than chili jokes.

Me drawing Muhammad does not incite violence anymore than me drawing Jesus incites violence. The responsibility of the violence rests in the minds and actions of those that actually commit the violence. And yes, it's not all Muslims asking for people to not draw Muhammad, but the ones who are asking for a prohibition do so under the context of speaking for Islam rite-large. Also, it's important not to let violence prohibit us from expressing our rights. If you do, than your promoting coercion.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Famiking"][QUOTE="BiancaDK"] The US obviously has much greater media censorship than the countries listed higher, it's quite apparent for all to see.

Like I said, it's self-reported. So incidents such as Comedy Central censoring South Park would be counted as restriction of freedom of the press. You can have complete freedom of press by law (the US) but if your company says you can't publish this or that, it will be counted as restriction of freedom of the press. "The report is based on a questionnaire [23] sent to partner organizations of Reporters Without Borders (14 freedom of expression groups in five continents) and its 130 correspondents around the world, as well as to journalists, researchers, jurists and human rights activists"

Except that Comedy Central is the proprietor of the show and the venue on which the show is broadcast. They have total control of what they want to put on their own airways. To force them to allow uncensored shows would equally be a violation of the free speech clause; compelled speech.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Famiking
Which is a restriction on speech . . . because the newspaper is not allowed to speak in any fashion it chooses. Any limitation on press is also a limitation on a type of speech. fat_rob
Either way - if you're all referring to the Reporters Without Borders index - it does not have much to do with freedom of speech because it does not assess the laws of the country it's assessing. It only polls certain people. So the index is not accurate way to say the US has a low degree of freedom of speech, like the index would want you to believe.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Vandalvideo
Me drawing Muhammad does not incite violence anymore than me drawing Jesus incites violence. The responsibility of the violence rests in the minds and actions of those that actually commit the violence. And yes, it's not all Muslims asking for people to not draw Muhammad, but the ones who are asking for a prohibition do so under the context of speaking for Islam rite-large. Also, it's important not to let violence prohibit us from expressing our rights. If you do, than your promoting coercion.fat_rob
Do you even know what it means to incite violence? When you do something, and people react to that something; it means you incited it. When people wantonly draw Muhammed knowing full well that people will react with violence, that is inciting violence. These artists KNEW that it would cause civil unrest and did it anyway. They are sociopaths, plain and simple. I didn't say that the artists are responsible for the violence itself, although I could see a logical argument for that stance, but merely that they are responsible for being total sociopaths and inciting the violence. They are the instigators. The violence is a direct result of their reckless disregard for other people.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Famiking
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Except that Comedy Central is the proprietor of the show and the venue on which the show is broadcast. They have total control of what they want to put on their own airways. To force them to allow uncensored shows would equally be a violation of the free speech clause; compelled speech.

I know. I was just showing how flawed the index that is being cited is. I wouldn't count South Park censoring as restricting freedom of speech. But Reporters Without Borders does.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 fat_rob

[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]No. There was no prohibition, just outcry.jimmyjammer69

Erm... so Muslims chose not to draw Mohammed for religious reasons but the people who did had never been prohibited from doing so. I don't see your point at all.

The people asking for a prohibition expect us who are not Muslim to follow Islamic law and they punish people under that guise. That's the point. It's like the US Police officer attempting to ticket a person in China for J-Walking. If it's not a law in China, then the US has no grounds for expecting the Chinese to follow it and cannot be mad when the Chinese do not follow it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#114 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="fat_rob"] Me drawing Muhammad does not incite violence anymore than me drawing Jesus incites violence. The responsibility of the violence rests in the minds and actions of those that actually commit the violence. And yes, it's not all Muslims asking for people to not draw Muhammad, but the ones who are asking for a prohibition do so under the context of speaking for Islam rite-large. Also, it's important not to let violence prohibit us from expressing our rights. If you do, than your promoting coercion.Vandalvideo
Do you even know what it means to incite violence? When you do something, and people react to that something; it means you incited it. When people wantonly draw Muhammed knowing full well that people will react with violence, that is inciting violence. These artists KNEW that it would cause civil unrest and did it anyway. They are sociopaths, plain and simple. I didn't say that the artists are responsible for the violence itself, although I could see a logical argument for that stance, but merely that they are responsible for being total sociopaths and inciting the violence. They are the instigators. The violence is a direct result of their reckless disregard for other people.

That argument is pretty weak. Black people used to be able to incite violence by simply walking on a "white only" beach. Certainly, they knew that action would likely lead to confrontation, but they did it anyway - and justifiably so. People can be offended by a wide variety of things - so either you pass laws preventing people from basically doing anything that could possibly offend someone, or you tell people to chill out. Who cares what someone else believes or writes. Focus on your self and living your own good life.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"] Me drawing Muhammad does not incite violence anymore than me drawing Jesus incites violence. The responsibility of the violence rests in the minds and actions of those that actually commit the violence. And yes, it's not all Muslims asking for people to not draw Muhammad, but the ones who are asking for a prohibition do so under the context of speaking for Islam rite-large. Also, it's important not to let violence prohibit us from expressing our rights. If you do, than your promoting coercion.Vandalvideo

So Civil Rights protesters were psychopaths too? Because by going to the segregated lunch counters, they incited the violence of the racist people who ran the stores and the police. :| That's the logical conclusion of your argument.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="fat_rob"] :| You must be unfamiliar with Islamic law. Islamic law prohibits depictions of Muhammad. Muslim outcry was based on the prohibition found in Islamic Law (think about it, if the law didn't prohibit the draws, why would Muslims be mad?). The outcry to the holocaust day will be based solely on a feeling of being offended, it will not be rooted in Jewish law. Thee groundings for the outcries are different in kind. One exists because of a prohibition and the other is because of emotions. fat_rob

The people asking for a prohibition expect us who are not Muslim to follow Islamic law and they punish people under that guise. That's the point. It's like the US Police officer attempting to ticket a person in China for J-Walking. If it's not a law in China, then the US has no grounds for expecting the Chinese to follow it and cannot be mad when the Chinese do not follow it.

Nobody's expecting US to follow Islamic law because nobody was asking for a prohibition on Draw Mohammed Day - they (we) were saying don't be an ass, you're clearly doing it just to piss muslims off.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="fat_rob"]Uh, they are linked concepts. You can't have free press without free speech.Famiking
Exactly. You can't have free press without free speech. But you can have free speech without free press. You can take a newspaper to court for saying false things abou you that damage your public image - for example.

If you can take any institution to court about saying something about you then that's not full free speach.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="sonicare"] That argument is pretty weak. Black people used to be able to incite violence by simply walking on a "white only" beach. Certainly, they knew that action would likely lead to confrontation, but they did it anyway - and justifiably so. People can be offended by a wide variety of things - so either you pass laws preventing people from basically doing anything that could possibly offend someone, or you tell people to chill out. Who cares what someone else believes or writes. Focus on your self and living your own good life.

You're misreading the argument. This argument does not place responsibility for subsequent acts onto the people who incite, it merely means I completely disrespect people who act with wanton disregard for society and other people. I do not like people who create civil unrest.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Vandalvideo
[ So Civil Rights protesters were psychopaths too? Because by going to the segregated lunch counters, they incited the violence of the racist people who ran the stores and the police. :| That's the logical conclusion of your argument. fat_rob
Big difference between psychopath and sociopath. A sociopath merely acts without regards to the rest of society, often times in pursuit of their own agendas. Yes, many of them were sociopaths by nature. To incite violence is to act with reckless disregard for the rest of society. It makes people a law unto themselves.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 fat_rob

[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Erm... so Muslims chose not to draw Mohammed for religious reasons but the people who did had never been prohibited from doing so. I don't see your point at all.

jimmyjammer69

Nobody's expecting US to follow Islamic law because nobody was asking for a prohibition on Draw Mohammed Day - they (we) were saying don't be an ass, you're clearly doing it just to piss muslims off.

The people who are angry at Matt and Trey and Draw Muhammad day DO expect us to abide by Islamic law. That's the whole point BEHIND EXTREMISM.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"][ So Civil Rights protesters were psychopaths too? Because by going to the segregated lunch counters, they incited the violence of the racist people who ran the stores and the police. :| That's the logical conclusion of your argument. Vandalvideo
Big difference between psychopath and sociopath. A sociopath merely acts without regards to the rest of society, often times in pursuit of their own agendas. Yes, many of them were sociopaths by nature. To incite violence is to act with reckless disregard for the rest of society. It makes people a law unto themselves.

Yeah, I used/read the wrong word. And if that's your working definition of sociopath than your gonna need to provide a strong argument how it's categorically a bad thing. Because it is absolutely insane to blame the violence of the Civil Rights movement on those who only desired freedom.
Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="fat_rob"] The people asking for a prohibition expect us who are not Muslim to follow Islamic law and they punish people under that guise. That's the point. It's like the US Police officer attempting to ticket a person in China for J-Walking. If it's not a law in China, then the US has no grounds for expecting the Chinese to follow it and cannot be mad when the Chinese do not follow it. fat_rob

The people who are angry at Matt and Trey and Draw Muhammad day DO expect us to abide by Islamic law. That's the whole point BEHIND EXTREMISM.

Umm no they dont. You simply leave 1 person out of that poor excuse of a show. We are not saying get on your knees and worship allah or ill bomb your ass back to the hell, but people are so far stuck up their own backside they cant even listen to people around them because they are far too arrogant and dimbwitted.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 fat_rob
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="sonicare"] That argument is pretty weak. Black people used to be able to incite violence by simply walking on a "white only" beach. Certainly, they knew that action would likely lead to confrontation, but they did it anyway - and justifiably so. People can be offended by a wide variety of things - so either you pass laws preventing people from basically doing anything that could possibly offend someone, or you tell people to chill out. Who cares what someone else believes or writes. Focus on your self and living your own good life.

You're misreading the argument. This argument does not place responsibility for subsequent acts onto the people who incite, it merely means I completely disrespect people who act with wanton disregard for society and other people. I do not like people who create civil unrest.

So society must remain passive in the face of injustice of coercion. Awesome. :|
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Famiking
[QUOTE="markop2003"] If you can take any institution to court about saying something about you then that's not full free speach.

Then we can assume that true freedom of speech will never be achieved. So we'll take the closest realistic ideal. Which would definitely have defamation laws here and there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="sonicare"] That argument is pretty weak. Black people used to be able to incite violence by simply walking on a "white only" beach. Certainly, they knew that action would likely lead to confrontation, but they did it anyway - and justifiably so. People can be offended by a wide variety of things - so either you pass laws preventing people from basically doing anything that could possibly offend someone, or you tell people to chill out. Who cares what someone else believes or writes. Focus on your self and living your own good life.Vandalvideo

I don't like the Klu Klux Klan. I think their marches are intended to soley incite violence and unrest. But they do have a right to march. And they do have a right not to be assaulted by angry people when they march. Freedom of speech means having to accept things you don't always like or agree with. The best thing to do in those situations is simply IGNORE the offending people. Once ignored, they tend to fade away. But instead, people tend to get so worked up over these things and give tons of free press and coverage to these events. I think this whole draw mohammed thing was childish, offensive, and stupid, but they still have a right to do it. I just won't participate in such a thing.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="fat_rob"] The people asking for a prohibition expect us who are not Muslim to follow Islamic law and they punish people under that guise. That's the point. It's like the US Police officer attempting to ticket a person in China for J-Walking. If it's not a law in China, then the US has no grounds for expecting the Chinese to follow it and cannot be mad when the Chinese do not follow it. fat_rob

Yeah, all one of them who issued a "veiled threat". As soon as I find one guy who mouths off in the build up to Draw Holocaust Day, I'll see if I can get that splashed all over the media too and so justify Piss-Off-the-Jews-Day.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Vandalvideo
Yeah, I used/read the wrong word. And if that's your working definition of sociopath than your gonna need to provide a strong argument how it's categorically a bad thing. Because it is absolutely insane to blame the violence of the Civil Rights movement on those who only desired freedom. fat_rob
There are other venues by which people can act in order to advance their own goals. The problem with people in the Civil Rights movement is that if you take their example and apply it to other ideologies, you suddenly deprecate the rule of law and you allow for people to become a law unto themselves. While it may have worked out for the better this time, the ideology that people can disobey laws they don't agree with is a dangerous one. By what measure do we say who can and who can't disobey a law? If moral compass is the measuring stick, there are plenty of different moral compasses. Ought we to respect burglars who disagree with theft laws and go ahead and break the law anyway? No! It is a horrible example, allowing people to act on their own laurels and break law at whim. It creates a fragile society with a weak legal framework.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 fat_rob

[QUOTE="fat_rob"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Nobody's expecting US to follow Islamic law because nobody was asking for a prohibition on Draw Mohammed Day - they (we) were saying don't be an ass, you're clearly doing it just to piss muslims off.Disturbed123

Umm no they dont. You simply leave 1 person out of that poor excuse of a show. We are not saying get on your knees and worship allah or ill bomb your ass back to the hell, but people are so far stuck up their own backside they cant even listen to people around them because they are far too arrogant and dimbwitted.

Not all Muslims. Some Muslims, the extremist, justify attacks on the west by grounding in Islamic law. Read the literature. It's blatantly apparent where the justification come form . . .
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="sonicare"] I don't like the Klu Klux Klan. I think their marches are intended to soley incite violence and unrest. But they do have a right to march. And they do have a right not to be assaulted by angry people when they march. Freedom of speech means having to accept things you don't always like or agree with. The best thing to do in those situations is simply IGNORE the offending people. Once ignored, they tend to fade away. But instead, people tend to get so worked up over these things and give tons of free press and coverage to these events. I think this whole draw mohammed thing was childish, offensive, and stupid, but they still have a right to do it. I just won't participate in such a thing.

I did not say that these people do not have a right to broadcast their reckless messages. I merely stated that these people are immature and are not worth the time we give them. They are inciting violence purposefully, they are sociopaths. I give them NO respect.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="Disturbed123"]

[QUOTE="fat_rob"] The people who are angry at Matt and Trey and Draw Muhammad day DO expect us to abide by Islamic law. That's the whole point BEHIND EXTREMISM.

fat_rob

Not all Muslims. Some Muslims, the extremist, justify attacks on the west by grounding in Islamic law. Read the literature. It's blatantly apparent where the justification come form . . .

Right... and drawing Mohammed is going to solve that how exactly?

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"]Yeah, I used/read the wrong word. And if that's your working definition of sociopath than your gonna need to provide a strong argument how it's categorically a bad thing. Because it is absolutely insane to blame the violence of the Civil Rights movement on those who only desired freedom. Vandalvideo
There are other venues by which people can act in order to advance their own goals. The problem with people in the Civil Rights movement is that if you take their example and apply it to other ideologies, you suddenly deprecate the rule of law and you allow for people to become a law unto themselves. While it may have worked out for the better this time, the ideology that people can disobey laws they don't agree with is a dangerous one. By what measure do we say who can and who can't disobey a law? If moral compass is the measuring stick, there are plenty of different moral compasses. Ought we to respect burglars who disagree with theft laws and go ahead and break the law anyway? No! It is a horrible example, allowing people to act on their own laurels and break law at whim. It creates a fragile society with a weak legal framework.

See, here's where your example falters . . . What laws were the civil rights protesters breaking? A state law. A state law that was in contrast to the Constitution, which is the Supreme Law of the land. What law are the Muhammad people breaking? Islamic law, which holds no weight as a law in the US. How do you resolve that conflict? Laws can contradict each other too.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Vandalvideo
See, here's where your example falters . . . What laws were the civil rights protesters breaking? A state law. A state law that was in contrast to the Constitution, which is the Supreme Law of the land. What law are the Muhammad people breaking? Islamic law, which holds no weight as a law in the US. How do you resolve that conflict? Laws can contradict each other too. fat_rob
They broke dozens of segregation laws which they thought were unjust. You can't just allow people to break whatever law they find unjust. That makes them a law unto themselves. Also, this is a poor analogy for the Muhammed people. They are two entirely different scenarios. I'm less concerned with the law in the Muhammed scenario and more with their reckless disregard and sociopathy.
Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Disturbed123

[QUOTE="Disturbed123"]

[QUOTE="fat_rob"] The people who are angry at Matt and Trey and Draw Muhammad day DO expect us to abide by Islamic law. That's the whole point BEHIND EXTREMISM.

fat_rob

but everyone knows that what these people believe are wrong, anyone whos dumb enough to not believe that should be a replacement for Paris Hilton. Fact is every muslim know that theres a fatwa against bombings because they the literal text only refers to war, not suprise attacks AKA 9/11 for example. However, USA seem to be more concerned about these drawing then actually making it a better place to live. Rather than USA trying to sort out extremism, they taking digs at the ENTIRE muslim population, now, it seems only fair we take digs at the whole of USA to make mokery of the hollocaust.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 fat_rob

[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="Disturbed123"]

jimmyjammer69

It wasn't meant to solve anything. Black people sitting in segregated lunch counters didn't solve the civil rights crisis, but it catalyzed the discussion that eventually did solve the problem. Muhammad day is more about people attempting to make others more aware of an infringement of rights. It's not a solution. Anyone who sold it as a solution is a fool
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"] See, here's where your example falters . . . What laws were the civil rights protesters breaking? A state law. A state law that was in contrast to the Constitution, which is the Supreme Law of the land. What law are the Muhammad people breaking? Islamic law, which holds no weight as a law in the US. How do you resolve that conflict? Laws can contradict each other too. Vandalvideo
They broke dozens of segregation laws which they thought were unjust. You can't just allow people to break whatever law they find unjust. That makes them a law unto themselves. Also, this is a poor analogy for the Muhammed people. They are two entirely different scenarios. I'm less concerned with the law in the Muhammed scenario and more with their reckless disregard and sociopathy.

But which law where they supposed to follow? The constitution or the state's laws? The laws CONTRADICTED each other. And your distinction of the two situations should show you that sociopathy is not bad in of itself. Sometimes it's warranted.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Vandalvideo
But which law where they supposed to follow? The constitution or the state's laws? The laws CONTRADICTED each other. And your distinction of the two situations should show you that sociopathy is not bad in of itself. Sometimes it's warranted. fat_rob
Actually, that is false. The laws only contradict after the Supreme Court says they do. Until then, they don't. And it only contradicts in the interpretations of the Supreme Court, it doesn't necessarily have to. And sociopathy is never warranted.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 fat_rob

Disturbed123

but everyone knows that what these people believe are wrong, anyone whos dumb enough to not believe that should be a replacement for Paris Hilton. Fact is every muslim know that theres a fatwa against bombings because they the literal text only refers to war, not suprise attacks AKA 9/11 for example. However, USA seem to be more concerned about these drawing then actually making it a better place to live. Rather than USA trying to sort out extremism, they taking digs at the ENTIRE muslim population, now, it seems only fair we take digs at the whole of USA to make mokery of the hollocaust.

That's the thing though, how does drawing the holocaust take a dig at the USA when no one is saying you can't draw the holocaust?
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="fat_rob"] Not all Muslims. Some Muslims, the extremist, justify attacks on the west by grounding in Islamic law. Read the literature. It's blatantly apparent where the justification come form . . .fat_rob

It wasn't meant to solve anything. Black people sitting in segregated lunch counters didn't solve the civil rights crisis, but it catalyzed the discussion that eventually did solve the problem. Muhammad day is more about people attempting to make others more aware of an infringement of rights. It's not a solution. Anyone who sold it as a solution is a fool

Nobody's trying to justify terrorism here and every American has had the right to draw whatever the hell they wanted from the beginning. If blatantly and ineffectually showing disrespect for another culture is on a par with the civil rights movement in your head, then go ahead and do it, but don't expect everyone else to agree with your logic on that one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="sonicare"] I don't like the Klu Klux Klan. I think their marches are intended to soley incite violence and unrest. But they do have a right to march. And they do have a right not to be assaulted by angry people when they march. Freedom of speech means having to accept things you don't always like or agree with. The best thing to do in those situations is simply IGNORE the offending people. Once ignored, they tend to fade away. But instead, people tend to get so worked up over these things and give tons of free press and coverage to these events. I think this whole draw mohammed thing was childish, offensive, and stupid, but they still have a right to do it. I just won't participate in such a thing.Vandalvideo
I did not say that these people do not have a right to broadcast their reckless messages. I merely stated that these people are immature and are not worth the time we give them. They are inciting violence purposefully, they are sociopaths. I give them NO respect.

That I can agree with.
Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Disturbed123

[QUOTE="Disturbed123"]

[QUOTE="fat_rob"] Not all Muslims. Some Muslims, the extremist, justify attacks on the west by grounding in Islamic law. Read the literature. It's blatantly apparent where the justification come form . . .fat_rob

That's the thing though, how does drawing the holocaust take a dig at the USA when no one is saying you can't draw the holocaust?

Really? Hasnt history taught us anything about certain bannings of the holocaust? Lets see how this all plans out, and lets see how facebook respond to this holocaust drawing garbage. It wont be pleasant, funnily enough, i bet the press will stir this situation so bad on the news theyll make Muslims look bad, without reflecting upon themselves what they did barely a week or two ago

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"] But which law where they supposed to follow? The constitution or the state's laws? The laws CONTRADICTED each other. And your distinction of the two situations should show you that sociopathy is not bad in of itself. Sometimes it's warranted. Vandalvideo
Actually, that is false. The laws only contradict after the Supreme Court says they do. Until then, they don't. And it only contradicts in the interpretations of the Supreme Court, it doesn't necessarily have to. And sociopathy is never warranted.

Actually, the Constitution clearly stated the freedom of association back in 1787 and the reconstruction amendments cemented the freedom in the late 1860's . . . the fact that the Supreme Court didn't rule it unconstitutional until the 50's is besides the point. The Jim Crow laws persisted way past the Supreme Court case, it took the CRA of '64 to rid the south of the laws. Not a Supreme Court edict. And you have not provided an argument against sociopathy when sociopathy can provide us with a more equal and freee society.
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts

The Internet

Trolling since 1984

Here is a fun little fact, Muhammad was being drawn regularly in 16th and 17th century during Ottoman Empire and people kept creating depictions of him up until the 1970's. Hell here was even a film about him in 1976 called Muhammad: Messenger of God. It has been pretty low keep until the early 00's when all of a sudden nobody can draw him because it goes against their religion when it doesn't explicitly stat in the Qur'an that it is forbid to do so.

People just need to relax a bit if it offends you okay so it does you don't need to act like a fool on the News rioting and **** and to just realize not everybody thinks like you and if people find the Holocaust humorous or drawing Muhammad humorous then okay that is fine and dandy. I'm sorry if you can't find some sort of laughter at all then you are pretty much void of life and are probably either an ass to be around with or a boring old ****.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 fat_rob

Disturbed123

Really? Hasnt history taught us anything about certain bannings of the holocaust? Lets see how this all plans out, and lets see how facebook respond to this holocaust drawing garbage. It wont be pleasant, funnily enough, i bet the press will stir this situation so bad on the news theyll make Muslims look bad, without reflecting upon themselves what they did barely a week or two ago

Facebook is a private institution and can do what they please. Fact is, there is no US law banning holocaust depictions. Now, if the Muhammad thing was German based and the holocaust drawing thing was geared towards Germany, I would concede that their is a valid reason (other than blatant free-speech) to hold the day. In that instance, Germany would be hypocritical.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Vandalvideo
Actually, the Constitution clearly stated the freedom of association back in 1787 and the reconstruction amendments cemented the freedom in the late 1860's . . . the fact that the Supreme Court didn't rule it unconstitutional until the 50's is besides the point. The Jim Crow laws persisted way past the Supreme Court case, it took the CRA of '64 to rid the south of the laws. Not a Supreme Court edict. And you have not provided an argument against sociopathy when sociopathy can provide us with a more equal and freee society. fat_rob
Quick legal lesson. There are thousands of ways to interpret freedom of association and the reconstruction amendments. While they are contrary to current jurisprudence, that doesn't mean that they were at the time. The tests employed by the Supreme Court were not in place during the time those laws were enacted. Until the Supreme Court rules on something, it is not unconstitutional. Why? Because there is no set test in the Constitution by which to measure the Constitution itself. The court is given wide range on how they choose to interpret the Constitution. Prior to the incorporation of the protected classes jurisprudence, African Americans were not considered peoples or allowed equal rights. Must they necessarily, under wording of the constitution, be a protected class? No. That was at the discretion of the Supreme Court. These tests are not written in stone until the Supreme Court says they are. Until a law is declared contradictory or unconstitutional, it is not. This is law 101. The Supreme Court is the schrodinger's cat of the law.
ex-mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#145 ex-mortis
Member since 2009 • 1599 Posts

The Internet

Trolling since 1984

Here is a fun little fact, Muhammad was being drawn regularly in 16th and 17th century during Ottoman Empire and people kept creating depictions of him up until the 1970's. Hell here was even a film about him in 1976 called Muhammad: Messenger of God. It has been pretty low keep until the early 00's when all of a sudden nobody can draw him because it goes against their religion when it doesn't explicitly stat in the Qur'an that it is forbid to do so.

People just need to relax a bit if it offends you okay so it does you don't need to act like a fool on the News rioting and **** and to just realize not everybody thinks like you and if people find the Holocaust humorous or drawing Muhammad humorous then okay that is fine and dandy. I'm sorry if you can't find some sort of laughter at all then you are pretty much void of life and are probably either an ass to be around with or a boring old ****.

xXDrPainXx

This is the best post by far. I don't understand where all this drama is coming from.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 fat_rob

[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Right... and drawing Mohammed is going to solve that how exactly?

jimmyjammer69

Nobody's trying to justify terrorism here and every American has had the right to draw whatever the hell they wanted from the beginning. If blatantly and ineffectually showing disrespect for another culture is on a par with the civil rights movement in your head, then go ahead and do it, but don't expect everyone else to agree with your logic on that one.

No one here is justifying terrorism . . . look up Jihad Jane who recruited Muslim Americans to kill the Danish cartoonist who drew a picture of Muhammad. Americans have the right, other people don't respect the right and threaten violence when that right is exercised. The ACLU brags often about how it, successfully, argued for the right of American Nazi's to protest and march in the streets. The ACLU! Free speech is important, regardless if it is offensive and it is important that we don't succumb to threats of violence.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"] Actually, the Constitution clearly stated the freedom of association back in 1787 and the reconstruction amendments cemented the freedom in the late 1860's . . . the fact that the Supreme Court didn't rule it unconstitutional until the 50's is besides the point. The Jim Crow laws persisted way past the Supreme Court case, it took the CRA of '64 to rid the south of the laws. Not a Supreme Court edict. And you have not provided an argument against sociopathy when sociopathy can provide us with a more equal and freee society. Vandalvideo
Quick legal lesson. There are thousands of ways to interpret freedom of association and the reconstruction amendments. While they are contrary to current jurisprudence, that doesn't mean that they were at the time. The tests employed by the Supreme Court were not in place during the time those laws were enacted. Until the Supreme Court rules on something, it is not unconstitutional. Why? Because there is no set test in the Constitution by which to measure the Constitution itself. The court is given wide range on how they choose to interpret the Constitution. Prior to the incorporation of the protected classes jurisprudence, African Americans were not considered peoples or allowed equal rights. Must they necessarily, under wording of the constitution, be a protected class? No. That was at the discretion of the Supreme Court. These tests are not written in stone until the Supreme Court says they are. Until a law is declared contradictory or unconstitutional, it is not. This is law 101. The Supreme Court is the schrodinger's cat of the law.

And that's the problem with law and America in a nutshell. Relativism, the death of all things intellectual.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Famiking

The Internet

Trolling since 1984

xXDrPainXx
They never showed Muhammed in the movie, not even his voice. The amount of drawings that were made during the Ottaman Empire can be counted by your fingers. There weren't that many. In Kuwait, in 1997 (I was 4 y/o) in my art class someone drew "Mohammed" riding on a horse and he did get jumped at for drawing him. It's nothing new and it's a pretty well-known rule when ever 4 year olds know it.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Vandalvideo
And that's the problem with law and America in a nutshell. Relativism, the death of all things intellectual.fat_rob
This isn't relativism. It is; The law is what the Supreme Court says it is, and until the Supreme Court speaks, it is whatever it is; and you follow it.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"] And that's the problem with law and America in a nutshell. Relativism, the death of all things intellectual.Vandalvideo
This isn't relativism. It is; The law is what the Supreme Court says it is, and until the Supreme Court speaks, it is whatever it is; and you follow it.

That is relativism. The text of the constitution doesn't change but the effect of it does. lol How is that NOT relative?