"Everyone Draw Holocaust Day" - June 30th ... Discussion ONLY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#51 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I agree with pete_merlin. This is disgusting to say the least.

Good men such as President Harry S. Truman had nightmares about what they saw when they went to the concentration camps.

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
Firstly, Everybody Draw Muhammad day was not meant to be offensive by drawing racist pictures like everyone did (the original cartoonist did not want that),what was meant was being able to be allowed to draw him in the name of free speech because Islam denounces free speech over and over; free speech should be and needs to be a universal right. Drawing the Holocaust has nothing offensive to it assuming its not done in a racist way. There is also no point to drawing it because there is no goal or right to protect, as in example of Muhammad drawing.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

I know its offensive... but that's not reason enough for me to take a restrictive stance against it. They have the right to make people pissed off at them - and I'm not going to argue with that.

Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Xorital
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

it's just a drawing people sheesh. Kids these days.

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
Yaay now neither side has any decency. I guess were all losers now
laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

I got my friends to call it the lollercaust :roll:

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Please for the love of God, tell me that Draw Holocaust Day was thought up by the Iranian President... MattUD1
I doubt it. I think he believes holocaust never happened.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
Firstly, Everybody Draw Muhammad day was not meant to be offensive by drawing racist pictures like everyone did (the original cartoonist did not want that),what was meant was being able to be allowed to draw him in the name of free speech because Islam denounces free speech over and over; free speech should be and needs to be a universal right. Drawing the Holocaust has nothing offensive to it assuming its not done in a racist way. There is also no point to drawing it because there is no goal or right to protect, as in example of Muhammad drawing. Dr_Brocoli
I don't get this type of thinking, you can tout the draw Muhammad day was about freedom of speech all you want but people just wanted to piss of some Muslims, now people want to draw the holocaust and it's bad? I don't get it, freedom of speech and all, right? Or are they just trying to piss some people off? Like the draw Muhammad day people... The internet is full of trolls, and these new "Do this day" are ways that people can transfer their trolling into real life, and it's pathetic. Draw anything day is dumb, you have freedom of speech everyday of your life (In the US) don't know why you have to draw offensive pictures to prove it.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts
Even Jewish people draw images and interpretations of the holocaust . . . this person obviously never read the comic Maus :lol: this idea is straight up stupid
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
It's as dumb and insulting as the draw Mohammed day was.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Firstly, Everybody Draw Muhammad day was not meant to be offensive by drawing racist pictures like everyone did (the original cartoonist did not want that)

The creator was amazingly nieve then.. Becuase this was a given to most people that this was to happen..

,what was meant was being able to be allowed to draw him in the name of free speech because Islam denounces free speech over and over

No it does not, a few extremists groups did this.. Not all of Islam..

; free speech should be and needs to be a universal right. Drawing the Holocaust has nothing offensive to it assuming its not done in a racist way. There is also no point to drawing it because there is no goal or right to protect, as in example of Muhammad drawing. Dr_Brocoli

Michelle4003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Michelle4003
Member since 2010 • 209 Posts
thats disgusting. i have family members that died in the holocaust because they were jewish. this isnt something to make fun of.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jimmyjammer69
Even Jewish people draw images and interpretations of the holocaust . . . this person obviously never read the comic Maus :lol: this idea is straight up stupidfat_rob
So no protests beyond that then?
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
Firstly, Everybody Draw Muhammad day was not meant to be offensive by drawing racist pictures like everyone did (the original cartoonist did not want that),what was meant was being able to be allowed to draw him in the name of free speech because Islam denounces free speech over and over; free speech should be and needs to be a universal right. Drawing the Holocaust has nothing offensive to it assuming its not done in a racist way. There is also no point to drawing it because there is no goal or right to protect, as in example of Muhammad drawing. Dr_Brocoli
This "Draw Holocaust Day" is defending people's right to be an ass. If you supported Draw Muhammed Day you shouldn't have a problem with this. That's hypocrisy at its finest. And complete Freedom of Speech is an American ideal, not a universal one. Stop imposing your values on everyone.
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#65 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Facebook will no doubt remove the entry, seeing as they are a private institution and can do what they please. As for free speech rights, I'm on the fence with this one. It's disgusting, it's horrible, it's out of place, but (in the U.S. at least) it's protected.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#66 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
... How does one go about drawing the holocaust? Drawing auschwitz-birkenau, or? Anyways, I can't see how those two things are even really comparable, I don't know why anyone would find drawing the holocaust to be offensive in and of itself.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"]Even Jewish people draw images and interpretations of the holocaust . . . this person obviously never read the comic Maus :lol: this idea is straight up stupidjimmyjammer69

??? You mean did people protest Maus? I highly doubt they did . . . the work has won a bunch of awards. I could understand the point of this event if Jewish people expected the rest of the world to not draw depictions of the holocaust, but that's not the case . . . I don't see the point of this other than trying to be offensive.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="fat_rob"]Even Jewish people draw images and interpretations of the holocaust . . . this person obviously never read the comic Maus :lol: this idea is straight up stupidfat_rob

??? You mean did people protest Maus? I highly doubt they did . . . the work has won a bunch of awards. I could understand the point of this event if Jewish people expected the rest of the world to not draw depictions of the holocaust, but that's not the case . . . I don't see the point of this other than trying to be offensive.

If there's any point, it's to show that freedom of speech is a universal right, and not just when it's attacking an unpopular minority. Alternatively, draw Mohammed day was pointless.

*edit* just looked up this Spiegelman's Maus. I'm guessing that's a little less offensive than what's likely to come out of this or what came out of Draw Mohammed Day.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 fat_rob
[QUOTE="Dr_Brocoli"]Firstly, Everybody Draw Muhammad day was not meant to be offensive by drawing racist pictures like everyone did (the original cartoonist did not want that),what was meant was being able to be allowed to draw him in the name of free speech because Islam denounces free speech over and over; free speech should be and needs to be a universal right. Drawing the Holocaust has nothing offensive to it assuming its not done in a racist way. There is also no point to drawing it because there is no goal or right to protect, as in example of Muhammad drawing. Famiking
This "Draw Holocaust Day" is defending people's right to be an ass. If you supported Draw Muhammed Day you shouldn't have a problem with this. That's hypocrisy at its finest. And complete Freedom of Speech is an American ideal, not a universal one. Stop imposing your values on everyone.

Lots of countries protect freedom of speech, not just America.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Famiking
Lots of countries protect freedom of speech, not just America.fat_rob
Not complete freedom of speech like the US. Case in point: you could get arrested in Germany for participating in this.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]So no protests beyond that then?jimmyjammer69

If there's any point, it's to show that freedom of speech is a universal right, and not just when it's attacking an unpopular minority. Alternatively, draw Mohammed day was pointless.

No, draw Muhammad day was not pointless. It's imperative that freedom of speech is protected. Some Muslims impose their religious views on all of humanity even though not all of humanity believes in Islam. It's ridiculous to expect me to abide by those laws when I'm not Muslim. I can draw Muhammad if I want to . . . and they can draw the holocaust. I don't disagree with the day on a freedom of speech grounds. They can do whatever they want, I don't care. I just don't see what point their making when NO ONE is making the argument that you can't draw depictions of the holocaust. Yes, it's about free speech, but it's a moot point because no one is fighting against drawing images of the holocaust like Muslims fight against depictions of Muhammad. It's a hallow argument.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"] Lots of countries protect freedom of speech, not just America.Famiking
Not complete freedom of speech like the US. Case in point: you could get arrested in Germany for participating in this.

America has censorship to that effect too, it's just geared towards obscenity. Go look up the Miller Test.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 BiancaDK

[QUOTE="fat_rob"] Lots of countries protect freedom of speech, not just America.Famiking

Norway, Finland, Sweden, Færøerne, Greenland and Denmark have complete freedom of speech as well, and that's just what I can think of at the top of my head. it's nothing unique to the US.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Sounds like good art to me, there's plenty of photos around that capture that point in history so i'm sure there are some drawings too.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]

Norway, Finland, Sweden, Færøerne, Greenland and Denmark have complete freedom of speech as well, and that's just what I can think of at the top of my head. it's nothing unique to the US.

I would even wager that the freedom of speech is greater in those countries than in the US.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

USA is joint 20th in freedom of the press along with Luxumburg and the UK.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#77 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

[...] They will be mocking the holocaust. SquatsAreAwesom

You know this for sure? And if we can't laugh at everything, there is something wrong; something we haven't come to terms with yet. I bawl at the end of Schindler's List as much as anyone else, but even I can appreciate Holocaust humour, so long as it does not glorify the events.

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Famiking

orway, Finland, Sweden, Færøerne, Greenland and Denmark have complete freedom of speech as well, and that's just what I can think of at the top of my head. it's nothing unique to the US.

BiancaDK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech - A lot of the countries you listed do restrict freedom of speech. While the US does not.
America has censorship to that effect too, it's just geared towards obscenity. Go look up the Miller Test.fat_rob
Hmm, never heard of it before. Just read on it. How often is this law enacted?

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Engrish_Major
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech - A lot of the countries you listed do restrict freedom of speech. While the US does not. Famiking
Of course the US restricts freedom of speech.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 BiancaDK

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]orway, Finland, Sweden, Færøerne, Greenland and Denmark have complete freedom of speech as well, and that's just what I can think of at the top of my head. it's nothing unique to the US.

Famiking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech - A lot of the countries you listed do restrict freedom of speech. While the US does not.

In effect the US definitely does restrict the practice of hate speech, by it's medias alone. That's definitely a relevant parameter when it comes to measuring ideals of freedom of speech.

Just like this is:

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 fat_rob

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]orway, Finland, Sweden, Færøerne, Greenland and Denmark have complete freedom of speech as well, and that's just what I can think of at the top of my head. it's nothing unique to the US.

Famiking

America has censorship to that effect too, it's just geared towards obscenity. Go look up the Miller Test.fat_rob
Hmm, never heard of it before. Just read on it. How often is this law enacted?

It's not a law, but a test the US Supreme Court uses to determine obscene speech, which they say falls outside the purview of free speech (I don't think it does though). Here's a Reason.tv video on a soon-to-be-heard obscenity case. There's more on that site about free speech and limitations in America if you look. Look at the DISCOLSE Act. It's gonna greatly restrict speech if it passes.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
So my goal would be to offended a huge group of people?
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="fat_rob"]??? You mean did people protest Maus? I highly doubt they did . . . the work has won a bunch of awards. I could understand the point of this event if Jewish people expected the rest of the world to not draw depictions of the holocaust, but that's not the case . . . I don't see the point of this other than trying to be offensive. fat_rob

No, draw Muhammad day was not pointless. It's imperative that freedom of speech is protected. Some Muslims impose their religious views on all of humanity even though not all of humanity believes in Islam. It's ridiculous to expect me to abide by those laws when I'm not Muslim. I can draw Muhammad if I want to . . . and they can draw the holocaust. I don't disagree with the day on a freedom of speech grounds. They can do whatever they want, I don't care. I just don't see what point their making when NO ONE is making the argument that you can't draw depictions of the holocaust. Yes, it's about free speech, but it's a moot point because no one is fighting against drawing images of the holocaust like Muslims fight against depictions of Muhammad. It's a hallow argument.

Agreed completely (except for the Draw Mohammed thing being justified - that was just everyone getting trolled by Matt and Trey).
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Famiking
[QUOTE="markop2003"] USA is joint 20th in freedom of the press along with Luxumburg and the UK.

Freedom of press is not the same thing as freedom of speech.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 fat_rob
[QUOTE="Famiking"][QUOTE="markop2003"] USA is joint 20th in freedom of the press along with Luxumburg and the UK.

Uh, they are linked concepts. You can't have free press without free speech.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#86 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="Famiking"][QUOTE="fat_rob"] Lots of countries protect freedom of speech, not just America.BiancaDK

But Bianca, has Denmark had free speech for 219 years, like the U.S. has?

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 BiancaDK
[QUOTE="Famiking"][QUOTE="markop2003"] USA is joint 20th in freedom of the press along with Luxumburg and the UK.

Except is the actual ideal put to practice...
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="markop2003"] USA is joint 20th in freedom of the press along with Luxumburg and the UK.Famiking

Of course it is. How can you restrict freedom of the press without restricting freedom of speech?
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]If there's any point, it's to show that freedom of speech is a universal right, and not just when it's attacking an unpopular minority. Alternatively, draw Mohammed day was pointless.jimmyjammer69

Agreed completely (except for the Draw Mohammed thing being justified - that was just everyone getting trolled by Matt and Trey).

How is the Draw Muhammad day not justified. You're not providing an argument. Matt and Trey were making an important point though satire (like they always do on South Park).
Avatar image for SquatsAreAwesom
SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 SquatsAreAwesom
Member since 2009 • 1678 Posts
[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="Famiking"][QUOTE="markop2003"] USA is joint 20th in freedom of the press along with Luxumburg and the UK.

Uh, they are linked concepts. You can't have free press without free speech.

This
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Famiking

Of course the US restricts freedom of speech.Engrish_Major
Not the same extent.
In effect the US definitely does restrict the practice of hate speech, by it's medias alone. That's definitely a relevant parameter when it comes to measuring ideals of freedom of speech.

Just like this is:BiancaDK

I hope you realize that the Reporters Without Borders gets its data from self-reporting. So your company can be the one that tells you you can't write certain things, and it would be counted as censorship.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 BiancaDK

But Bianca, has Denmark had free speech for 219 years, like the U.S. has?

topsemag55
Freedom of speech was guaranteed in law by the Danish Constitution in 1849. Not entirely sure what you're getting at now. =P It's not a question of who originally started doing it for an ideal to be "yours" and not someone elses, it's a question of it being put into actuality if anything.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="fat_rob"] No, draw Muhammad day was not pointless. It's imperative that freedom of speech is protected. Some Muslims impose their religious views on all of humanity even though not all of humanity believes in Islam. It's ridiculous to expect me to abide by those laws when I'm not Muslim. I can draw Muhammad if I want to . . . and they can draw the holocaust. I don't disagree with the day on a freedom of speech grounds. They can do whatever they want, I don't care. I just don't see what point their making when NO ONE is making the argument that you can't draw depictions of the holocaust. Yes, it's about free speech, but it's a moot point because no one is fighting against drawing images of the holocaust like Muslims fight against depictions of Muhammad. It's a hallow argument. fat_rob

How is the Draw Muhammad day not justified. You're not providing an argument. Matt and Trey were making an important point though satire (like they always do on South Park).

Well, lots of people are gong to be making an important point through satire on this too. Or is Matt and Trey's art so much more valuable than everyone else's?

*edit* as for not providing arguments, I'll continue with the point I did throughout the Mohammed debacle - the day was an excuse for lots of people to air sentiment against Islam in the name of freedumz. It was dumb and pointless but the currently anti- Islam press lapped it up.

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Famiking
Uh, they are linked concepts. You can't have free press without free speech.fat_rob
Exactly. You can't have free press without free speech. But you can have free speech without free press. You can take a newspaper to court for saying false things abou you that damage your public image - for example.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Agreed completely (except for the Draw Mohammed thing being justified - that was just everyone getting trolled by Matt and Trey).jimmyjammer69

Well, lots of people are gong to be making an important point through satire on this too. Or is Matt and Trey's art so much more valuable than everyone else's?

No, their art isn't more valuable, it's just that their point in drawing Muhammad has more oomph since there is an entire segment of a religion trying to prevent them from depicting Muhammad and threatened violence against Matt and Trey if they did so. No one is telling people not to draw pictures of the holocaust. Can important points be made by depicting the holocaust? Yes, but the points would be amplified if people where actually against drawing the holocaust.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 BiancaDK
I hope you realize that the Reporters Without Borders gets its data from self-reporting. So your company can be the one that tells you you can't write certain things, and it would be counted as censorship.Famiking
The US obviously has much greater media censorship than the countries listed higher, it's quite apparent for all to see.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="fat_rob"] How is the Draw Muhammad day not justified. You're not providing an argument. Matt and Trey were making an important point though satire (like they always do on South Park). fat_rob

No, their art isn't more valuable, it's just that their point in drawing Muhammad has more oomph since there is an entire segment of a religion trying to prevent them from depicting Muhammad and threatened violence against Matt and Trey if they did so. No one is telling people not to draw pictures of the holocaust. Can important points be made by depicting the holocaust? Yes, but the points would be amplified if people where actually against drawing the holocaust.

No, there was probably about as much outcry about their cartoon as there will be from this day. Only this time it will get far less publicity.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"]Uh, they are linked concepts. You can't have free press without free speech.Famiking
Exactly. You can't have free press without free speech. But you can have free speech without free press. You can take a newspaper to court for saying false things abou you that damage your public image - for example.

Which is a restriction on speech . . . because the newspaper is not allowed to speak in any fashion it chooses. Any limitation on press is also a limitation on a type of speech.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Well, lots of people are gong to be making an important point through satire on this too. Or is Matt and Trey's art so much more valuable than everyone else's? jimmyjammer69

No, there was probably about as much outcry about their cartoon as there will be from this day. Only this time it will get far less publicity.

The outcry exists for different reasons though. This outcry is because it's just a blatant attempt to be offensive. The Muhammad day was to a reaction against a prohibition. See the difference?
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="fat_rob"] No, their art isn't more valuable, it's just that their point in drawing Muhammad has more oomph since there is an entire segment of a religion trying to prevent them from depicting Muhammad and threatened violence against Matt and Trey if they did so. No one is telling people not to draw pictures of the holocaust. Can important points be made by depicting the holocaust? Yes, but the points would be amplified if people where actually against drawing the holocaust. fat_rob

The outcry exists for different reasons though. This outcry is because it's just a blatant attempt to be offensive. The Muhammad day was to a reaction against a prohibition. See the difference?

No. There was no prohibition, just outcry.