Pick a poison: Alien Covenant vs Star Wars prequels

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

Poll Pick a poison: Alien Covenant vs Star Wars prequels (35 votes)

Alien Covenant 43%
Star Wars prequels (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith) 57%

Inspired by a thread I made in System Wars, I thought I'd ask this for a couple certain films too, both to be widely disliked by fans in these respective franchises.

If you had a choice, which films would you rather watch? Alien Covenant or any of the Star Wars prequels?

• 
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Is...is cyanide an option?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Prequels.......by a wide margin.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Alien Covenant since I haven't seen it yet. I might like it...right?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I didn't mind Alien Covenant, excluding the last couple of scenes.

One of the big problems with the Alien movies is that they insist on continuing to reintroduce all the basics to the new characters, and audiences are getting tired of people investigating an egg hatchery or not knowing that Xenomorphs' blood is highly acidic.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Episode 3 is entertaining regardless of artistic quality.

Alien: Covenant is just plain boring.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'd have to say Alien Convenant, even though I haven't seen it yet, just because there's no way it could be worse than the SW prequels.... right?

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Neither

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Shouldn't it be prequel trilogy (prometheus, covenent, ??) vs sw prequel trilogy?

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Considering I actually like Episode 3.....yeah I think I'll go with the trilogy based on that alone....

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I picked Star Wars. 3 movies instead of one.

I actually really liked Alien Covenant. It wasn't watch in the theater pay $10 good, but it was a good $7 rental.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Maybe I'm in the minority. But, I actually enjoyed all the Star Wars prequels.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

I didn't mind Alien Covenant, excluding the last couple of scenes.

One of the big problems with the Alien movies is that they insist on continuing to reintroduce all the basics to the new characters, and audiences are getting tired of people investigating an egg hatchery or not knowing that Xenomorphs' blood is highly acidic.

I watched Alien Covenant, and I found it disappointing. The thing is, I think that it and Prometheus actually have the foundation for a potentially good story. I just hate the fact that this story has anything to do with the Alien universe. And I think that this story was handled in a really shoddy manner that makes all involved characters look spectacularly stupid. But the core concept of an evil robot being fascinated with creation and striving to create in the most f***ed up way could actually be REALLY compelling if handled correctly.

But yeah...first off is the stupidity of the characters. In that sense, this movie is even MORE stupid than Prometheus. Because in Prometheus when people take off their helmets and start breathing the air, at least they THOUGHT that they were on a lifeless world. And exploring that world was their entire mission. Whereas in Alien Covenant, they're just on a side mission that risks the lives of THOUSANDS of colonists and embryos. Furthermore, in Alien Covenant, they KNOW that the world is teeming with life and they still walk around with absolutely no protection despite having not a single damn idea what the organisms there are capable of. It seems like spacemen actually got DUMBER in the ten years between Prometheus and Alien Covenant.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I absolutely HATE the idea of the Aliens and the "engineers" being tied to humanity. One of the creepiest freaking things about Alien is how the stuff that the crew finds is so utterly ALIEN. And these two recent movies kind of ruin that by making it so that the Aliens and the humans and the space jockeys have such an intrinsic connection. That makes the entire conceptual universe feel smaller, exactly the same as when the prequels did shit like making Anakin Skywalker be friends with R2-D2 and C-3PO. If everyone knew each other decades earlier that makes the universe feel smaller. And in this example, the Aliens feel less ALIEN. Suddenly that cosmic horror element disappears since (horrible as the Aliens may be) it's all a freaking human experiment.

EDIT: And another thing that annoyed me about Alien Covenant is how freaking FAST all of the Aliens grew. I mean, sure that problem has been present since the first movie and it's always been stupid since the first movie. But for the most part it hasn't been addressed in the Alien series. It's almost as if (aside from the scene in Alien where Brett gets nailed) the filmmakers REALIZE how dumb that elelemt is and actually try not to draw attention to it. But in Alien Covenant, the Aliens grow so freaking fast that you can practically see them growing. I mean, Jesus. Not even 2 minutes after coming out of a dude, those things have already grown to the size of a medium dog. That's fine for comic book stuff like The Hulk, but this is actual science fiction. Where the hell is that mass coming from?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I really liked the Star Wars prequels myself. Haven't seen Alien Covenant yet though. So I guess I'll choose Star Wars by default then plus it's three movies vs one.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

I'm going with Alien Covenant. Haven't seen it, but can't be worse than the prequels.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I enjoyed the prequels more.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

I always enjoy Star Wars Prequels way more so then I did for Covenant but even then, I didn't mind the aspect of Covenant either.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#17 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Same. I recognize they have more flaws than the originals, but damn did they bring some great action scenes. Hell, without them, we wouldn't have The Clone Wars (both the inferior Samurai Jack/Dragon Ball Z clone from 2003 and the superior CGI series).

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Can i pick Russian roulette instead?

Both movies are shit and more shit.

And it´s sad that they are trying to remake classics.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

This. The prequels aren't nearly as bad as the "hardcore" Star Wars fans say.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Prequels. I can honestly enjoy them if I just prepare myself for Hayden Christensen's awful acting. They're not that terrible, and Episode 3 was actually pretty good.

@csward said:
@Solaryellow said:

This. The prequels aren't nearly as bad as the "hardcore" Star Wars fans say.

I don't think people want to admit how average to terrible the acting is in the original trilogy, either. There are a lot of things to love about the original trilogy, a lot of things to love about the prequels...but all six films have that in common: terrible acting/overacting.

And that's OK, you know? They're grand space operas, I can stomach the cheese. I'm there for "pew pew pew" and "BOOM!" and "ooooh neato!", not "Man, that Han Solo deserves an Oscar"

I wasn't around when they first came out, but I would consider myself diehard fan of the originals and Star Wars; I was weaned on them, still have my VHS copies, shit my pants when my neighbor got Laserdisc copies of them and was over there every day for like a month, I was part of the crowd that objected when Lucas "retouched" them a few years ago and added/changed that bullshit...and I still kinda-sorta enjoy the prequels for what they are.

I mean, it's Star Wars...TAKE MY MONEY!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

The SW Prequels are pain incarnate. Nothing is worse than watching something that tries to be funny or pander to kids and falls flat. I'd rather watch space truckers get ripped apart by crazy shit any day, even if the two most recent Alien films had a lot of problems.

-Byshop

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@Byshop said:

The SW Prequels are pain incarnate. Nothing is worse than watching something that tries to be funny or pander to kids and falls flat. I'd rather watch space truckers get ripped apart by crazy shit any day, even if the two most recent Alien films had a lot of problems.

-Byshop

Aww you make Ani cry

graysmith08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By graysmith08
Member since 2017 • 20 Posts

Alien Covenant.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Aww you make Ani cry

Tough shit, Ani. I've got the high ground.

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#25 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Same. I recognize they have more flaws than the originals, but damn did they bring some great action scenes. Hell, without them, we wouldn't have The Clone Wars (both the inferior Samurai Jack/Dragon Ball Z clone from 2003 and the superior CGI series).

Eh? The Genndy Tartakovsky series were primarily short visual story-telling almost entirely focused on combat, very much like Samurai Jack. It was aiming for something completely different. If you judge it on what it's aiming for practically none of he Star Wars series bests it.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Star Wars. Clear winner for me.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Prequels are poorly made. Alien Covenant is just fucking stupid.

Alien Covenant.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

we need to fit the Hobbit trilogy in here somehow.

have no desire to see Prometheus/alien covenant so I can't say which is less worse.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#29 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Alien Covenant - Hey we got a random signal which seems impossible from a planet we know nothing about. Should we... send one of these flying probe droids down ? Should we sent a small robot tank thing ? Wait should we send the android ?

Nope... lets all go walk around the alien planet. What could go wrong ?

Reminded me of this;

Loading Video...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I liked Alien Covenant more than I did any and all of the Star Wars prequels.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

The Prequels are actually decent movies so.

Revenge of the Sith is even good. And Phantom Menace has one of the best duels of the entire series.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

Easy.

Alien Covenant

As horrible as it is in comparison to the original 2, the Alien saga had been in a downward spiral since after Aliens and it was expected. Aside from the story being crap, it is a very well done movie.

So as much as a love the Alien series and as much as its always been a part of my life, bad movies have come to be expected and AC did not impact the things i love as much as the PT did.

The PT is the biggest piece of shit ever made, there is nothing redeemable about any of the three movies, and when Disney bought LF, i begged them to erase the PT and allow them to be remade (as six movies as it should have been) by competent writers and directors. I do not watch these movies ever, i cannot watch them. They are poison and disgusting and insult every bit of me that is a star wars fan.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Covenant wins.....

Both Covenant and Episode 3 were 7.5 / 10 for me, but the other 2 prequel movies were under 5.5 (average) so since u did an unfair advantage I'll take the average of the 3 prequel movies vs. Covenant, and again....

Covenant wins

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#34 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Star Wars prequels for me. I at least can find those fun.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

On it's own Alien Covenant is an ok movie but aside from Prometheus it doesn't fit with any of the other Alien movies that have been made. It's almost as if Ridley Scott is purposefully trying to **** on all the of other Alien movies ever made. Sounds strange I know.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

And that's why I can't stand the first 2 prequel movies. Reason why I actually liked Episode 3 was because the goofiness and light-heartiness got minimized. Honestly, I wish Lucas went ahead and made Jar Jar Binks into the Sith Lord he was originally intended to be. Would have brought some redemption to that trainwreck of a character...

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I'm going with Alien Covenant for several reasons. First off I haven't seen it yet so it might surprise me. Second, unlike most, I really enjoyed Prometheus so if it's in the same vein the chances of me enjoying are decent. Third, even if I don't enjoy it, sitting through one movie is better than sitting through three.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#38 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Whatever, I enjoyed the alien covenant movie and I think the prequels are better.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

I'm going with Alien Covenant for several reasons. First off I haven't seen it yet so it might surprise me. Second, unlike most, I really enjoyed Prometheus so if it's in the same vein the chances of me enjoying are decent. Third, even if I don't enjoy it, sitting through one movie is better than sitting through three.

i enjoyed prometheus to, covenant i didnt like at all.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Another thing that I didn't like about Alien Covenant was that it kind of felt to me like there was no point to it other than setting up another Alien movie.

SPOILER: It felt like the entire point of that movie was to get David on that colony ship where he now has full control, Alien embryos, and thousands of frozen colonists on which to experiment. Unlike most Alien movies which actually ENDED, this movie's ending just seemed like setup for another prequel movie. That kind of annoys me on some level.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

ill take the prequels some scenes are good even if those movies suck... i hated all of alien cov

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

I'm just tired of Star Wars at this point so Alien. I don't even really like the new Star Wars films, they are just meh. The original ones are the only ones I truly love.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

I saw a little Convenant and it looked boring.(looked like a remake of first Alien)

on the Other hand prequels had Episode 3 which in my opinion is much better than overrated Star Wars Episode 6.