Our beliefs about life

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:

I like to think positive about everything. My opinion is that god did do a good job. This world has so much beauty, from the music to everything. It's the best gift would could get from god, the ability to define ourselves.

The world has a lot of suffering and misery too. This is what pisses me off about the religious. You are confronted with someone who is not of your belief system saying God either allows evil to happen, or does nothing about it. You sit here and say everything is great, and that is all God. Then when the bad things of this Earth come up, showing your God to be immoral, you charge it to another account. You claim we live in a Fallen world, notions of free will etc. Everything good is God, everything bad he is absolved from. What kind of childish nonsense is this? ANY HUMAN living today could come up with a better system than what this supposedly infinite intelligence came up with.

This experience is what my soul craves. Yeah I still believe god did it all and that she did a good job. It's easy for us to lose faith in things unseen, like god because we don't see the whole picture. I just believe she did a good job. No matter how good the universe is, you can always see it as bad. I see it as good. God did the push to start our existence, knowing we'd be too pussy to do it on our own. I thank her for that. Without the bad times, there aren't good times.

Pure babble. You're talking nonsense about things that you cannot even hope to explain, and could not possibly have knowledge of. You're still using current ignorance as a realm for God. "If I dont get it, that is God." Once again, what the hell are you talking about? Explain to me what a soul is, in something other than bs Religious metaphysical terms.

The soul is what allows me to have this experience. I came from a state of perfect being, that was pure nothingness. I'll always remain in that state of pure perfection. This experience is how it plays out. If my soul craves a god, there will be one. Our souls are infinite and only get better. The immaterial things like love is proof of that.

Still have not answered the question. I asked you to describe exactly what a soul is, and asked you to not used metaphysical nonsense, which is exactly what you did. Do you struggle to converting to Hinduism, Buddhism, or Islam when they trot out equally absurd nonsense like this?

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:

The world has a lot of suffering and misery too. This is what pisses me off about the religious. You are confronted with someone who is not of your belief system saying God either allows evil to happen, or does nothing about it. You sit here and say everything is great, and that is all God. Then when the bad things of this Earth come up, showing your God to be immoral, you charge it to another account. You claim we live in a Fallen world, notions of free will etc. Everything good is God, everything bad he is absolved from. What kind of childish nonsense is this? ANY HUMAN living today could come up with a better system than what this supposedly infinite intelligence came up with.

This experience is what my soul craves. Yeah I still believe god did it all and that she did a good job. It's easy for us to lose faith in things unseen, like god because we don't see the whole picture. I just believe she did a good job. No matter how good the universe is, you can always see it as bad. I see it as good. God did the push to start our existence, knowing we'd be too pussy to do it on our own. I thank her for that. Without the bad times, there aren't good times.

Pure babble. You're talking nonsense about things that you cannot even hope to explain, and could not possibly have knowledge of. You're still using current ignorance as a realm for God. "If I dont get it, that is God." Once again, what the hell are you talking about? Explain to me what a soul is, in something other than bs Religious metaphysical terms.

The soul is what allows me to have this experience. I came from a state of perfect being, that was pure nothingness. I'll always remain in that state of pure perfection. This experience is how it plays out. If my soul craves a god, there will be one. Our souls are infinite and only get better. The immaterial things like love is proof of that.

Still have not answered the question. I asked you to describe exactly what a soul is, and asked you to not used metaphysical nonsense, which is exactly what you did. Do you struggle to converting to Hinduism, Buddhism, or Islam when they trot out equally absurd nonsense like this?

I make up my own beliefs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:

Right, because the things your are saying here are totally original. I've never heard anyone use sophistry. Right.....

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 slipknot0129

@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:

Right, because the things your are saying here are totally original. I've never heard anyone use sophistry. Right.....

I just believe what feels right. Same way atheists or anybody else on earth does.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:

I just believe what feels right. Same way atheists or anybody else on earth does.

Except atheists do not believe in any thing. It is not a positive claim. Atheists also do not bring metaphyicial nonsense to bare in order to prove our points. Souls, Gods, pure perfection, talking about these things is to talk about nothings.

I laugh at pure perfection. Any woman who has given birth, or men who are over 50 would tell you that God cant even get the region around our pelvis quite right. MAybe that's why God hates sex, because he never got it right to begin with. Pure perfection!!

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By slipknot0129

@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:

Except atheists do not believe in any thing. It is not a positive claim. Atheists also do not bring metaphyicial nonsense to bare in order to prove our points. Souls, Gods, pure perfection, talking about these things is to talk about nothings.

I laugh at pure perfection. Any woman who has given birth, or men who are over 50 would tell you that God cant even get the region around our pelvis quite right. MAybe that's why God hates sex, because he never got it right to begin with. Pure perfection!!

Atheists can believe in what they want, it's still a belief. Eternal oblivion, or whatever other nonsense they believe in. Their beliefs don't change how the universe works anymore than my beliefs do.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#108  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

Atheists can believe in what they want, it's still a belief. Eternal oblivion, or whatever other nonsense they believe in. Their beliefs don't change how the universe works anymore than my beliefs do.

Believing in eternal obvilion, evolution or any other (as you say) nonsense is not required to be an atheist. You simply have to lack the belief that God exists. That is surely not to say that you believe that he doesn't exist.

And I'm pretty sure no one sensible suggests that beliefs change the world. Rather, we form beliefs based on how the world is. And since there's a lack of evidence for God, atheists are those who did not form the belief that God exists.

What you're saying really doesn't make sense. For example, say that bitterness is not a colour but rather a taste. It's not yellow, or green, or blue, and so on. And then you say, ah, but bitterness does have a colour. It has the colour of lacking any colour. Well, in that case, I grant you that atheism is a much of a belief as bitterness is a colour.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@Motokid6 said:
@hillelslovak said:That is God of the gaps reasoning. 2000 years ago, religious texts claimed knowledge of EVERYTHING. If you know nothing about the world around you, God is everywhere, doing everything. When you find out your illness is the result of micro organisms, and not a lack of worship or demons, God shrinks a little. He has lost a little territory. When you find out the our world is far older than the Bible says, and is the result of billions of years of formation due to an absurd number of variables, God poofing it into being is done away with in that instance, and shrinks furthermore. Science, and our growing understanding of our origins, and place int he larger cosmos, has pushed God so far back, you God of the gaps believers still, still use God as a name for the exotic. Seeing people do this, it is amazing to me. God is nothing but a word to describe one's own ignorance. When each one of those questions is answered, God will shrink a little more. Science shows us that the more we find out, the more we see we do not know. This will lead to new questions, and believers in one fantastical creed or another will once again take refuge in current ignorance. I think it is a pathetic thought process.

Wha? Yea. That's exactly what I just said it's just for some reason you felt the need to insult me. "God of the gap believer" Wtf is that? I said God is the unknown that will be pushed further and further back just as you did.

God of the gaps is one of the most popular religious arguments today, and it is pathetic. Religious people make huge claims, then science shows their claims to be false, they then retreat into areas where science currently has ignorance, and merely assert that whatever the point of ignorance currently is, it is the realm of God. It is a pathetic argument.

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.

Thomas Jefferson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:

I do not believe alchemy, witchcraft and astronomy do not exist. They do not exist, period. My belief on the matter has no bearing. I do not see how you cannot grasp the simple fact that a lack of belief is not in itself a belief. Recognizing and analyzing how the universe works is not an article of faith either, nice try. Atheists do not believe in eternal oblivion, whatever the hell that means....

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@hillelslovak: I can assure you astronomy certainly does exist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@thehig1 said:

astrology, my bad.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 thehig1

@hillelslovak said:
@thehig1 said:

astrology, my bad.

I thought you meant that lol, didn't mean to come across funny.

Anyway read your posts in this thread, agree with all you have said but I think you might be fighting a loosing battle, the guy doesnt seem to get it. He's either dumb and cant actually grasp what your saying or hes trolling us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@Motokid6 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@Motokid6 said:
@hillelslovak said:That is God of the gaps reasoning. 2000 years ago, religious texts claimed knowledge of EVERYTHING. If you know nothing about the world around you, God is everywhere, doing everything. When you find out your illness is the result of micro organisms, and not a lack of worship or demons, God shrinks a little. He has lost a little territory. When you find out the our world is far older than the Bible says, and is the result of billions of years of formation due to an absurd number of variables, God poofing it into being is done away with in that instance, and shrinks furthermore. Science, and our growing understanding of our origins, and place int he larger cosmos, has pushed God so far back, you God of the gaps believers still, still use God as a name for the exotic. Seeing people do this, it is amazing to me. God is nothing but a word to describe one's own ignorance. When each one of those questions is answered, God will shrink a little more. Science shows us that the more we find out, the more we see we do not know. This will lead to new questions, and believers in one fantastical creed or another will once again take refuge in current ignorance. I think it is a pathetic thought process.

Wha? Yea. That's exactly what I just said it's just for some reason you felt the need to insult me. "God of the gap believer" Wtf is that? I said God is the unknown that will be pushed further and further back just as you did.

God of the gaps is one of the most popular religious arguments today, and it is pathetic. Religious people make huge claims, then science shows their claims to be false, they then retreat into areas where science currently has ignorance, and merely assert that whatever the point of ignorance currently is, it is the realm of God. It is a pathetic argument.

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.

Thomas Jefferson

Oh geez no to hell with that shit. Pun not really intended

Do you have an argument?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#119 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

The most rational stance is being an agnostic as you can't prove there's a god nor you can't deny its existence....this shit is damn complicated , beyond human comprehension.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 slipknot0129

@mjorh said:

The most rational stance is being an agnostic as you can't prove there's a god nor you can't deny its existence....this shit is damn complicated , beyond human comprehension.

Yeah it would be foolish to think this is all there is. Like we think the universe will end but that could be a part of another process.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mjorh said:

Agnosticism is a statement about knowledge. All atheists and theists are technically agnostic. Some claim to be gnostic, but none really are.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#122 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

My goodness this thread....

And I used to be a fan of reading religious threads or taking part in discussions, but this is just asinine. I can't understand how some of you guys can endure bashing your heads against the wall like that....

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 slipknot0129

@tocool340 said:

And I used to be a fan of reading religious threads or taking part in discussions, but this is just asinine. I can't understand how some of you guys can endure bashing your heads against the wall like that....

It's all part of god's divine plan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@slipknot0129 said:
@tocool340 said:

It's official, he's trolling. We can move on.....

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By mjorh

@thegerg said:

@mjorh:

The same is true for atheism. Atheism is the most rational stance.

"disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods."

Nope, not rational, if there's no god then how the hell universe is created? ("cause and effect" rules out the Big Bang theory....actually, to put it better, what caused Big Bang?) and if there's a god then "too many questions!" ...so being agnostic is the most rational stance.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 mjorh

@thegerg said:

@mjorh:

"if there's no god then how the hell universe is created?"

I don't know, but that's got nothing to do with my post.

"being agnostic is the most rational stance."

So does being atheist. Not believing something for which we have no evidence is the most rational stance. Why do you think otherwise? Why do you think being a theist is more rational than being an atheist?

That's correct , the thing is we don't have any rock solid evidence showing that definitely there's no god (that universe example) , and the same goes for having a god hence i prefer to be an agnostic rather than an atheist, i don't know how atheists can be absolutely sure about that while there's such a big mystery revolving around the universe creation.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 thehig1

@mjorh: Also as foxhoundfox said, agnostic is a statement about knowledge.

You are either a thiest or a athiest, everyone is one or the other.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#132  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
@slipknot0129 said:

I find it funny how everybody is so closed minded about their beliefs in life. You have Christians that are close minded and you have close minded Atheists. You have Atheists that are just as close minded as the Westboro church, it's funny to me. I imagine everybody reaches a point in their life where they are stuck in their beliefs. Me, I'm not a Christian but I found god. I have my own personal relationship with her and the universe. I have my place on the internet where people accept my beliefs as something positive on their life. Everybody does. You can't change who you are, it just is.

Have you reached a point in your life where you are stuck in your beliefs and view of life?

We can change who we are. People literally change everyday that we sleep because our brains rewire themselves. Who told you otherwise?

There is something to say about being closed-minded versus being open-minded. Some would say that being open-minded is the best way to approach all situations. I suppose this argument would be contradicted by someone seeking to preserve his sense of self when being exposed to mind manipulation techniques that are shown on the television through marketing which can be good or bad. Having said that, being completely closed to alternative views leads to intellectual stagnation. You see that happening with science as we have folks in the news agreeing that people should find the study "that works for them," and disregard conflicting research. As a science major, this is quite disturbing to me because sensationalism takes precedence in everyday life and in scholarly reports for research money in place of credibility and logic even at the cost of professional integrity.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 mjorh

@thegerg said:

@mjorh:

That's correct

Then you agree that atheism is most reasonable.

the thing is we don't have any rock solid evidence showing that definitely there's no god (that universe example) ,and the same goes for having a god hence i prefer to be an agnostic rather than an atheist

If you do not believe that there is a god you are atheist. Do you believe that there is a god?

, i don't know how atheists can be absolutely sure about that while there's such a big mystery revolving around the universe creation.

Neither do I, but I'm getting the feeling that you don't know what the word "atheist" means. That's not meant to insult you, I'm just saying that there is a common misconception concerning the meaning of the words "atheist" and "agnostic", and confusion about how those two concepts intersect each other.

I'm going to post two statements. One of those statements is going to be from an agnostic point of view, the other will be from an atheistic point of view.

1- I don't know if there is a god, but I believe that there is.

2- I don't believe that there is a god.

Now, tell me which is which and why you think the agnostic example is more logical.

Hmmm....i don't get it.

Here's the definition :

ag·nos·ticaɡˈnästik/nounnoun: agnostic; plural noun: agnostics1. a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

I'm exactly this.

So i guess the 2 statements you articulated are both related to atheism..... agnostic version would be like this :

i don't know if there's a god nor i know that there isn't one.

@thehig1 said:

@mjorh: Also as foxhoundfox said, agnostic is a statement about knowledge.

You are either a thiest or a athiest, everyone is one or the other.

Agnostic is sth between the theist and atheist....i'm saying this based on the definition.... a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 thehig1

@mjorh: see gergs post above he beat me to it.

As he and others in this thread have said, A person is a thiest or not a thiest, ie thiest or athiest.

The definition you posted describes your position on the knowledge of God, not ones belief.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 mjorh

@thehig1: @thegerg: oh got it now, then in that case i'm an atheist.

But, there's this quote from Albert Camus which says : "i don't believe in god , but i'm not an atheist" ... what's your take on this quote? Personally , i interpreted this as Camus being an agnostic ....but now i'm all confused :D

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By thehig1

@mjorh: agnostic athiest would be our position.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By mjorh

@thegerg said:

@mjorh:

Well, if he doesn't believe in god he's an atheist. Saying otherwise doesn't change that. That's like someone who doesn't eat animal products saying "I'm not a vegetarian."

I'm guessing he was making a hyperbolic statement in an effort to separate himself from the atheists who believe that there isn't a god. He was trying to express the same sentiment you are (which is what I believe too, by the way), that he neither believed that there is a god, or believed that there isn't a god.

Yeah i guess he was goin' with that, as @thehig1 said i think "agnostic atheist " is the closest thing we can get to Camus's statement and also my stance.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 slipknot0129

@BranKetra said:
@slipknot0129 said:

I find it funny how everybody is so closed minded about their beliefs in life. You have Christians that are close minded and you have close minded Atheists. You have Atheists that are just as close minded as the Westboro church, it's funny to me. I imagine everybody reaches a point in their life where they are stuck in their beliefs. Me, I'm not a Christian but I found god. I have my own personal relationship with her and the universe. I have my place on the internet where people accept my beliefs as something positive on their life. Everybody does. You can't change who you are, it just is.

Have you reached a point in your life where you are stuck in your beliefs and view of life?

We can change who we are. People literally change everyday that we sleep because our brains rewire themselves. Who told you otherwise?

There is something to say about being closed-minded versus being open-minded. Some would say that being open-minded is the best way to approach all situations. I suppose this argument would be contradicted by someone seeking to preserve his sense of self when being exposed to mind manipulation techniques that are shown on the television through marketing which can be good or bad. Having said that, being completely closed to alternative views leads to intellectual stagnation. You see that happening with science as we have folks in the news agreeing that people should find the study "that works for them," and disregard conflicting research. As a science major, this is quite disturbing to me because sensationalism takes precedence in everyday life and in scholarly reports for research money in place of credibility and logic even at the cost of professional integrity.

Some people can change who they are, that's who they are, people that can change their beliefs. Me, I'll always believe in a god, higher beings, our universe being a small part of the whole picture, higher dimensions, and all kinds of other stuff. Like if I believed every detail about this existence was made by a intelligent designer, it still won't get in my way of learning science. I'll still be thinking about it in the same way a nonbeliever would.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#141 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@hillelslovak said:
@slipknot0129 said:
@tocool340 said:

It's official, he's trolling. We can move on.....

No. I mean, he must be really consistent with his trolling or he must be 100% dead serious since I'm positive I've seen him post the same nonsense in the past 4 or so years....

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#142 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Kinda defeats the purpose of having belief if your faith is shaken very easily or that you change it every day.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@bmanva: You can basically drop the mic and /thread with that last post.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@tocool340 said:

No. I mean, he must be really consistent with his trolling or he must be 100% dead serious since I'm positive I've seen him post the same nonsense in the past 4 or so years....

As with my constant insistence of posting this for the past couple years in all his threads: