Obama announces cuts to military spending.

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

Allow me to correct Wasdie... this shows that you know nothing about the US from 1939-1945[Frame_Dragger

Whatever man. Please englighten me if you feel it's so obvious that I'm wrong.

How can we enlighten somebody who's head is clearly up his own ass?

This...
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

You serious? Their country was brutally ravaged by war. They had every right to be a little pissed off. Although Germany took the heat for Austro Hungary big time.

Ilovegames1992

That it was, and I'm not saying they didn't have a right to be angered. But when you're willing to screw over yourself and the rest of Europe by imposing hilariously unrealistic and brutal reparations on a cornerstone of the continent, you reap what you sow.

Because they knew that there was going to be a depression. And that it would lead the german people to desperation, and that would lead to Hitler coming to poer, and that would lead to war. I don't think so.

A ten year old could see what the effect those demands would have on Germany, and in turn what the downfall of said nation would bring about for others. Yes, they in fact could EASILY know what would happen to the major world economies as a result of their pettiness. I suggest you read The Economic Consequences of the Peace by John Keynes.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="Verge_6"] That it was, and I'm not saying they didn't have a right to be angered. But when you're willing to screw over yourself and the rest of Europe by imposing hilariously unrealistic and brutal reparations on a cornerstone of the continent, you reap what you sow.Verge_6

Because they knew that there was going to be a depression. And that it would lead the german people to desperation, and that would lead to Hitler coming to poer, and that would lead to war. I don't think so.

A ten year old could see what the effect those demands would have on Germany, and in turn what the downfall of said nation would bring about for others. Yes, they in fact could EASILY know what would happen to the major world economies as a result of their pettiness. I suggest you read The Economic Consequences of the Peace by John Keynes.

So France caused the Great Depression now?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#154 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Ilovegames1992

They were part of the cause yes.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

A big problem with the military today is that having a lot of military personnel is essentially pointless for anything but regime change scenarios.

The focus should be on asymmetric warfare and power projection. For asymmetric warfare, missles, submarines, drone aircraft and cyber warfare are important. For power projection, aircraft carriers and air bases are important.

None of these things require hundreds of thousands of soldiers, but that's exactly where a lot of the budget is going.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Ilovegames1992

I did not say that (however there are schools of thoughtwith signficant backing that support it, look up an essay by Doughlas Irwin), I am merely pointing out the well-established fact that they were a key factor in bringing about the Great Depression.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Ilovegames1992

France demanded reparations that economists of the time warned were far excessive and potentially disasterous. The total amount of financlal reparations was far in excess of Germany's means to pay*. This led to a collapse in the German economy, which lead to a destablizing of the country, which lead to the rise of the Third Reich. I'm not sure the impact these reparations had on causing the Great Depression, but I don't doubt it. Even then major world economies were becoming intertwined.

*As an aside Germany finally made the last reparation payment demanded by the Treaty of Versailles some 92 years later.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

How can we enlighten somebody who's head is clearly up his own ass?

Frame_Dragger

This...

First of all, I didn't know direct personal insults were now accepted in GS, and from a mod even, how sad. The fact you're reverting to that sort of tactic instead of laying out an argument pretty much says it all.

Second, you two, Wasdie and Frame_Dragger, need to make up your minds. Wasdie's quote from above:

You don't think that increased political pressure from the USA wouldn't have changed anything?

I don't think WWI could be stopped, the USA still wasn't a major power yet, but at the start of WWII, the USA could have made a much bigger difference politically.

Wasdie

If the USA could have made a much bigger difference politically and didn't do it, it means they didn't really want it. So my original point stands:The US had no real interest in stopping WWII from taking place.

Furthermore, you chose to ignore the bulk of my point (read a couple of pages back) and instead nitpick on a trivial thing just for the hell of it. I wasn't even bashing the US yet you felt the need to defend it somehow.

So, which one of us clearly has his head up his own ass?

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 nunovlopes

Complete US dominance? Dunno, Russia would disagree.

Ilovegames1992

Russia was a superpower no doubt, but in the end their approach was bound to fail. It's not just about military power, the entire Western world became Americanised, for the good and the bad. American culture spread to the whole world. We see American movies, American TV series, we hear American music, McDonalds is everywhere, Coca-Cola is everywhere, etc. Even part of the reason English is the international language today is because of the US global dominance.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#160 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] It is imperialism in the sense of influence. America hasn't taken over any countries, but there's a pretty hefty lists of governments in power today who were put there by the good old US of A. Wasdie

That's really expanding the definition of imperialism. But I guess you gotta justify the constant stream of USA bashing I see on this board.

That's the exact definition of imperialism. :|
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts

[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"][QUOTE="Wasdie"] This...nunovlopes

First of all, I didn't know direct personal insults were now accepted in GS, and from a mod even, how sad. The fact you're reverting to that sort of tactic instead of laying out an argument pretty much says it all.

Second, you two, Wasdie and Frame_Dragger, need to make up your minds. Wasdie's quote from above:

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

You don't think that increased political pressure from the USA wouldn't have changed anything?

I don't think WWI could be stopped, the USA still wasn't a major power yet, but at the start of WWII, the USA could have made a much bigger difference politically.

If the USA could have made a much bigger difference politically and didn't do it, it means they didn't really want it. So my original point stands:The US had no real interest in stopping WWII from taking place.

Furthermore, you chose to ignore the bulk of my point (read a couple of pages back) and instead nitpick on a trivial thing just for the hell of it. I wasn't even bashing the US yet you felt the need to defend it somehow.

Now you know; welcome to the new ToU shіt-for-brains.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Ninja-Hippo
If the USA didn't want to profit from WW2 and was genuinely on the side of good vs evil, surely they would have stepped in in 1939? Not year later after Hitler had already annihilated half of Europe and Britain was in crippling debt to America arms companies? Dismiss it as 'america bashing' if you like, or step into the realm of reality.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Ilovegames1992

If the USA didn't want to profit from WW2 and was genuinely on the side of good vs evil, surely they would have stepped in in 1939? Not year later after Hitler had already annihilated half of Europe and Britain was in crippling debt to America arms companies? Dismiss it as 'america bashing' if you like, or step into the realm of reality. Ninja-Hippo

Of course they were profiting. Neutrality was the smart move really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#164 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"][QUOTE="Wasdie"] This...nunovlopes

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

All of Europe had a chance to stop WW2 before it happened. Neville Chamberlain and his policies of appeasement allowed Nazi germany to build into the power that it became. The last world war had soured everyone's taste for intervention. The powers that be did nothing to avert the next one. As for america, I completely understand why they were reluctant to get involved in a foreign war. They were a world away and the affairs of europe seemed distant and esoteric to the common american back then. We dont have the instant access to information that we do now. The US govt. did heavily support the UK with supplies and other aid, but I suspect any country would be reluctant to enter a potentially devastating war.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]If the USA didn't want to profit from WW2 and was genuinely on the side of good vs evil, surely they would have stepped in in 1939? Not year later after Hitler had already annihilated half of Europe and Britain was in crippling debt to America arms companies? Dismiss it as 'america bashing' if you like, or step into the realm of reality. Ilovegames1992

Just ask the swiss about neutrality. They were more than happy to accomodate the nazis and there plundered loot.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]If the USA didn't want to profit from WW2 and was genuinely on the side of good vs evil, surely they would have stepped in in 1939? Not year later after Hitler had already annihilated half of Europe and Britain was in crippling debt to America arms companies? Dismiss it as 'america bashing' if you like, or step into the realm of reality. sonicare

Just ask the swiss about neutrality. They were more than happy to accomodate the nazis and there plundered loot.

Yup. Although i reckon the Swiss wanted us to win really. As did Spain.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Wasdie  Moderator

If the USA didn't want to profit from WW2 and was genuinely on the side of good vs evil, surely they would have stepped in in 1939? Not year later after Hitler had already annihilated half of Europe and Britain was in crippling debt to America arms companies? Dismiss it as 'america bashing' if you like, or step into the realm of reality. Ninja-Hippo

Or look up the United State's foreign policy in the 1930s. You may see the word "isoalationsit" quite a bit.

You need to step out ot the realm of consperiacy theories and BS.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

Do you not know about the whole spanish civil war which tore apart the country before WWII started? They were in no shape to fight and even if they were, they had a heavy facist party in control.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]If the USA didn't want to profit from WW2 and was genuinely on the side of good vs evil, surely they would have stepped in in 1939? Not year later after Hitler had already annihilated half of Europe and Britain was in crippling debt to America arms companies? Dismiss it as 'america bashing' if you like, or step into the realm of reality. Wasdie

Or look up the United State's foreign policy in the 1930s. You may see the word "isoalationsit" quite a bit.

I wouldnt say they were out to "profit" from the war. I just think the average person in the US was very suspicious of europe and their wars and didnt want anything to do with it. US was a hodgepodge of nationalities with ties to both the axis and the allies. So to drum up support for a war of choice, would be pretty hard. I think Roosevelt did want to have a more active role, but he didtn have the support to do it. As for Hitler annihilating half of europe, he did that fairly quickly. He basically rolled through france in about a week and then only the UK was left.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]If the USA didn't want to profit from WW2 and was genuinely on the side of good vs evil, surely they would have stepped in in 1939? Not year later after Hitler had already annihilated half of Europe and Britain was in crippling debt to America arms companies? Dismiss it as 'america bashing' if you like, or step into the realm of reality. Wasdie

No conspiracy theories are necessary; profit of american industry sky rocketed as soon as the war started, and only collapsed when america finally entered the war and the government could not afford to sustain it. I'm not hating, i'm just stating facts. If america felt any moral compulsion to enter the war, it would have done so from the start. Instead, it remained neutral, profited massively from arms sales and business with both allies and germany, and THEN entered the war when it more or less had to. Sorry if facts hurt your feelings.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]If the USA didn't want to profit from WW2 and was genuinely on the side of good vs evil, surely they would have stepped in in 1939? Not year later after Hitler had already annihilated half of Europe and Britain was in crippling debt to America arms companies? Dismiss it as 'america bashing' if you like, or step into the realm of reality. Ilovegames1992

Yup. Definitely the smart guy's move.
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 nunovlopes

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]If the USA didn't want to profit from WW2 and was genuinely on the side of good vs evil, surely they would have stepped in in 1939? Not year later after Hitler had already annihilated half of Europe and Britain was in crippling debt to America arms companies? Dismiss it as 'america bashing' if you like, or step into the realm of reality. Ninja-Hippo

No conspiracy theories are necessary; profit of american industry sky rocketed as soon as the war started, and only collapsed when america finally entered the war and the government could not afford to sustain it. I'm not hating, i'm just stating facts. If america felt any moral compulsion to enter the war, it would have done so from the start. Instead, it remained neutral, profited massively from arms sales and business with both allies and germany, and THEN entered the war when it more or less had to. Sorry if facts hurt your feelings.

This.

All this talk of good and evil is BS. Countries/people do what is in their best interest and couldn't care less if people are dying a continent away, or a country away. If they can profit from it even better, they will let it happen.

I'm not bashing the US, my own country (Portugal) stayed neutral during WWII, although we did help the Allies namely through our islands in the Atlantic.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"] Just ask the swiss about neutrality. They were more than happy to accomodate the nazis and there plundered loot.Wasdie

Do you not know about the whole spanish civil war which tore apart the country before WWII started? They were in no shape to fight and even if they were, they had a heavy facist party in control.

I know. I was just saying they wanted us to win secretly.