Obama announces cuts to military spending.

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Here's some links from two different sides...

CNN

Fox

My thoughts:

I'm all for a big and powerful military but the last 10 years have taught us something. Actually Vietnam taught us something but we still under threat from the Soviets. The lesson we learned was that conventional military weaponry is not the future of warfare. What we have in our arsenal is already extremely lethal and updates do not need to be made as often.

For the past 10 years we've been fighting a guerrilla war with guerrilla war tactics. Big tanks, bombers, and massive amounts of man power do not beat the enemy. It wasn't until a few years in Afghanistan and Iraq did our military start to adjust and it wasn't until recently did we start using weapons that are very suited for that kind of combat.

The Fox article states that in the next 10 years the military budget was expected to increase by 487 billion dollars. That's in addition to the roughly 650 billion of defense spending each year (not including additional war spending).

If you look at the military over the past 10 years you'll see a slight shift in spending to more practical weapons for a modern battlefield. However a lot of spending still gets dumped into things we just don't need anymore. The F-22 fighter was a complete waste of money and came in billions overpriced and years over schedule. There are also dozens of other projects that were to continue enchancing our ability to fight a conventional war.

The problem with that mentality is that there will not be a massive conventional war in the next 50 years. Sure, North Korea may go to hell and China may start a massive civil war, but there will never be massive tank battles, huge dogfights, or massive navel battles that we were expecting in a non-nuclear WWIII scenario.

So what I'm taking away from this early announcement is nothing that hasn't been said before, it's time to shift our focus back to defense and stop spending on offensive capabilities. The cold war is over, it's costing us a lot of money to keep our military ready for that size of a war. We need to shift the focus to the real enemy of the 21st century.

Though I'll be eager to see the cuts. I'm hoping they aren't to massive. A huge cut to the military budget could really hurt a lot of Americans, but to small of one won't make a difference.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

great america does not need more imperailism. In before " Obama hates the troops"

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Wasdie  Moderator

great america does not need more imperailism. In before " Obama hates the troops"

dontshackzmii

You need to learn what imperalism is before you start spouting crap like that.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts

dontshackzmii
I nominate this entry for Moronic Response of the Day......
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

Yay! Defense! We don't need to be policing the world.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Since we're pulling out of Afghanistan and Iraq it makes sense but people will spin this to make Obama look like he is opening the doors for us to be attacked.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Woohoo. A political move I can get behind. [spoiler] But I won't stick around for people who disagree with me :) [/spoiler]
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

They aren't cutting any spending. They are only slowing the rate of increase of spending. Politicians are so dumb.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wasdie  Moderator

Since we're pulling out of Afghanistan and Iraq it makes sense but people will spin this to make Obama look like he is opening the doors for us to be attacked.spazzx625

People spin every poltiical move to work it into their advantage. This is nothing new.

Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

I believe some of these cuts are meant to reshift focus in to new areas such as cyber warfare (something that Richard Clarke has been warning about for a number of years).

I agree Wasdie about the changing characteristics of warfare. We do still operate under the cold war mentality of a looming threat that needs to be contained which is a one of the reasons we operate numerous military bases across the globe and maintain a large fighting force. The adaptation to contemporary and future forms of warfare is an arduous and necessary process for sure.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts
are they cutting spending or just trimming the increases?
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

their is more money in the military then education, i always thought that was dumb but this is America

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

their is more money in the military then education, i always thought that was dumb, but this is America

Chris_Williams
Almost sig worthy.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
are they cutting spending or just trimming the increases?comp_atkins
If you factor in inflation those may be the same thing.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

hopefully they can spend that money on sh!t that will actually help americans instead of helping blackwater and lockheed

And to the imperialism remark above; ypu guys should think about hes saying. America has pretty much been engaging in imperialism since the end of ww2. Here come the delusional patriots.....

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Fantastic news.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

hopefully they can spend that money on sh!t that will actually help americans instead of helping blackwater and lockheed

And to the imperialism remark above; ypu guys should think about hes saying. America has pretty much been engaging in imperialism since the end of ww2. Here come the delusional patriots.....

Actually america and europe were engaged in far more imperialism BEFORE ww2 than after. Most of their colonies and dependent states were lost during that conflict or the resulting post war revolutions. I guess it depends on what you call imperialism.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
Doesnt look like its nearly enough cuts.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#20 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

You talk about Vietnam.......That war could have easily been won by napalming the jungle. But big wig politicians said no, it's cruel to win a war I guess.

America needs a big military, especially right now when our country is weak.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Are these the cuts automatically enacted by the failure of the SUPER COMMITTEE to act?

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

You talk about Vietnam.......That war could have easily been won by napalming the jungle. But big wig politicians said no, it's cruel to win a war I guess.

ristactionjakso
No it doesn't. America needs to stop invading countries and promoting pseudo freedom and democracy. Cuts across the board are needed.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coolbeans90

You talk about Vietnam.......That war could have easily been won by napalming the jungle.

ristactionjakso

Indeed.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

DroidPhysX

No it doesn't. America needs to stop invading countries and promoting pseudo freedom and democracy. Cuts across the board are needed.

Whether America invades countries or not is completely up to the President and congress. Whether we have a small or big military, it will happen either way.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

ristactionjakso

Whether America invades countries or not is completely up to the President and congress. Whether we have a small or big military, it will happen either way.

That's the problem with America. Invading other countries is absurd when they did it with Iraq, absurd after Bin Laden was killed in Afghanistan and its absurd now.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

ristactionjakso
Not to mention egregiously unethical.
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] No it doesn't. America needs to stop invading countries and promoting pseudo freedom and democracy. Cuts across the board are needed.DroidPhysX

That's the problem with America. Invading other countries is absurd when they did it with Iraq, absurd after Bin Laden was killed in Afghanistan and its absurd now.

I completely agree with you. They had plenty of chances to get Osama years ago. Wasn't that the original intent? Invading all those other countries was just completely stupid.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

With the US leaving Iraq I'm not surprised at all at this turn of events. I'm quite happy to hear that we are making budget cuts as opposed to just talking about them and deciding we need everything.

Now if we could raise taxes on those who can most afford it I'd sa we would really be getting somewhere i terms of our debt and paying the bills. The guys who defend our freedom are sacrificing (they always were) and it's time for us (all of us in my opinion) to do the same.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ristactionjakso

ghoklebutter

Not to mention egregiously unethical.

Boo Hoo. What is ethical about war? I say if we go to war, we go to win. I would have burnt that forest to the ground, then sent in the ground troops to clean up whatever Nam a**hole was still alive.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

ristactionjakso

Uh, no. That's what we did. The Vietnam war could have been "won" (Although it wasn't a win/lose scenario. A win for the US would have been a North and South Vietnam de facto) if we focused on infiltrating and destroying the Ho Chi Minh trail through Laos and Cambodia, which is what the US finally started doing as the war progressed, before Nixon decided to pull out the American troops and leave it to the ARVN (and they couldn't handle it).

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 coolbeans90

With the reduced cost of operation by the military due to the scaling down of Afghanistan and Iraq, I can't help but wonder if this will significantly impact it.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
As a consequence, the military is also downsizing in personal by the tens of thousands.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

ristactionjakso

- Yup, destroying the country we're suppose to be defending is a way to win a war. But if we fell back on "scorched Earth" warfare then what would have been the point in engaging in the conflict there in the first place?

- We already have the largest military that has ever existed and spend more money on our military than the rest of the world combined.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wasdie  Moderator

Doesnt look like its nearly enough cuts.wolverine4262

I don't think you understand how big of an economic impact military has on our country. Cutting it drastically would be the same as chopping 20% off of welfare.

People aren't for the chopping of the welfare but they are all for reducing military spending. Military spending is one of the few social spending policies that actually benifits this country internally and provides equally to everybody at several points in their lives.

It's not the military budget that is inflated, it's actually the war spending which is not apart of the defense budget. This place is just to keep the defense budget at about 600-700 billion a year from here on if I read it right. This is to prevent it from hitting 1 trillion+ a year in 10 years.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Even with the cuts America budget is still greater than the next 10 countries combined, at least according to the BBC.

Also;

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wasdie  Moderator

Even with the cuts America budget is still greater than the next 10 countries combined, at least according to the BBC.

htekemerald

I honestly don't see the problem with that. I never have. I don't know why people care so much.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
Wow... a Wasdie thread about politics is filled with mind numbing posts... shock!
Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts

They aren't cutting any spending. They are only slowing the rate of increase of spending. Politicians are so dumb.

DaBrainz
Pretty much.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]

ChampionoChumps
Pretty much.

Which, when you factor in inflation... is the same as cuts :O
Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"][QUOTE="DaBrainz"]

Nibroc420
Pretty much.

We need more real, immediate cuts.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"] Pretty much.

We need more real, immediate cuts.

Who is "we" and what qualifications do you have that would make me believe such a judgement? My understanding is there's people who's jobs are to manage these budgets, Are you suggesting you're more intelligent and better qualified than them?
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts

"Over the next 10 years, the growth in the defense budget will slow, but the fact of the matter is this: It will still grow, because we have global responsibilities that demand our leadership," Obama announced during a rare presidential visit to the Pentagon. "I firmly believe, and I think the American people understand, that we can keep our military strong -- and our nation secure -- with a defense budget that continues to be larger than roughly the next 10 countries combined."

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Cyberwarfare and drones are the future of war.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
As long as they don't reduce the number of planned contracts for SSBN-X, then it's good news.
lagreendown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lagreendown
Member since 2006 • 1612 Posts

their is more money in the military then education, i always thought that was dumb but this is America

Chris_Williams
Sad but true the US makes money off the military but in education they do not since it is free.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
As long as they don't reduce the number of planned contracts for SSBN-X, then it's good news.Dark__Link
Highly doubtful. With stuff like ocean drilling for oil, it wouldn't make sense to take away from the Navy, even if some of it will be different countries working together.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wasdie  Moderator

I can tell you that the first things that will get axed are a lot of prototype weaponry. That contributes a decent amount of the budget. A lot of money going into company's pockets for that.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]As long as they don't reduce the number of planned contracts for SSBN-X, then it's good news.BranKetra
Highly doubtful. With stuff like ocean drilling for oil, it wouldn't make sense to take away from the Navy, even if some of it will be different countries working together.

Well, you could argue that the remaining Virginia class contracts are safe because of that, but maybe not the next gen. boomer class. Still, with more potential nuclear threats popping up, it's still doubtful even their production will get touched. I only worry because it pays my bills. :P
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Serraph105

Cyberwarfare and drones are the future of war.

whiskeystrike
Cyber warfare doesn't hurt anyone (aside from financially) so that's not the most worrisome thing to me.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Serraph105
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

lagreendown
Sad but true the US makes money off the military but in education they do not since it is free.

they actually do from the students in a very long term view of things.