Obama admin. ends Keystone Pipeline plan.

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23061 Posts
[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"]I wish more people would actually read up on the pipeline, instead of buying into the bogus figures the oil company is giving us. Securing a better source of oil my ass.

Hmmm... Any recommendations?
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
[QUOTE="BrianB0422"]Yeah I really don't get this one. Canada says, "hey build this pipeline and we can be oil buddies! If you don't we'll build our own and send it to China." Seems like a pretty easy decision to me. I understand wanting to protect the environment and stuff and maybe there are real concerns and maybe the GOP shouldn't have forced the issue like little children, but for him to scrap it totally is just ridiculous. Bad Obama. Bad.

Pretty much agree with this. Don't know what they were thinking.
Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

SOURCE

Thoughts OT? Chalk up a win for the Republicans. Now they have even more ammunition to show that Obama doesn't care about job creation.

airshocker

No they do not... Romney says corporations are people. Romney kills corporations and lays off millions of people. Romney is a serial killer ad needs to be ran in the general election.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="majoras_wrath"]I wish more people would actually read up on the pipeline, instead of buying into the bogus figures the oil company is giving us. Securing a better source of oil my ass.

Hmmm... Any recommendations?

Most sources are pretty biased, but here's a pretty good fact sheet. The fact that there seems to be some borderline corruption (like the firm doing the environmental assessment being buddies with Transamerica), and the fact that the oil will be mostly exported, makes me skeptical of the whole thing. Not to mention the potential loss of jobs being brought up by other posters.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
5-6,000 construction jobs.....almost all of which would go away once its finished, yeah this is totally about Obama not caring about jobs.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

You can't please everyone

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
he pretty much said come up with a more environmentally sound plan, this thing will be active for a long time so it is better to get it right the first time.
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6967 Posts

As a Canadian I am quite happy with this. Indeed, I hope that TransCanada has to wait until well after the US elections and well into 2013 before Keystone gets back on track, which it most certainly will.

In the meantime, our odds of approving Northern Gateway across Alberta and BC, so we can ship oil to China, have just increased greatly. Let me quote our federal Natural Resources Minister responding to todays' Keystone announcement:

"Our focus is, as you know, on diversifying our markets. We currently have one customer for our energy exports. That customer has said that it doesn't want to expand at the moment. So it certainly intensifies the broad strategic objective of the government to diversify to Asia."

"Moving oil to the West Coast and on by tanker to Asia is even more important," he said.

It is perfect for Canada. We will end up building both pipelines, only by the time the one to the US is approved you will have to pay more for the product. Thank you Republicans for ensuring that you transfer more wealth up to us :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#59 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Job numbers can be hard to figure out. For instance, where I live GM is a big employer. However, those jobs lead to other jobs indirectly -> service, housing, etc. to serve the however many thousand people that GM employs. So communities grow up around those factories, etc. Not sure how this pipeline would contribute to the job market. I've heard numbers ranging from a few thousand to twenty thousand. Your guess is as good as mine.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
As a Canadian all I can say is: Mr Obama you and I may not see eye to eye on many issues but you have my sincere thanks for shelving this for the time being. There's things out there more important than big oil profits.
genfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 genfactor
Member since 2004 • 1472 Posts
Why are we arguing over a project that would create 150,000 to 200,000 temporary jobs and probably 50 permanent jobs while substantially increasing the risks of cancer and contaminated drinking water for millions of Americans instead of thinking of ways we could create tens of millions of jobs rebuilding our country? After the millions of jobs lost during this mess that began under previous economic policies, are we really drawing battle lines and making an issue out of a project this small instead of something big enough to put a dent in the unemployment rate? This is nothing more than political bs that will have no real effect on the country except for people that work in construction, and even they would be taken care of if we started rebuilding our infrastructure.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#62 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
As a Canadian all I can say is: Mr Obama you and I may not see eye to eye on many issues but you have my sincere thanks for shelving this for the time being. There's things out there more important than big oil profits. Ace6301
Big coal profits.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="genfactor"]Why are we arguing over a project that would create 150,000 to 200,000 temporary jobs and probably 50 permanent jobs while substantially increasing the risks of cancer and contaminated drinking water for millions of Americans instead of thinking of ways we could create tens of millions of jobs rebuilding our country? After the millions of jobs lost during this mess that began under previous economic policies, are we really drawing battle lines and making an issue out of a project this small instead of something big enough to put a dent in the unemployment rate? This is nothing more than political bs that will have no real effect on the country except for people that work in construction, and even they would be taken care of if we started rebuilding our infrastructure.

The state department says it would only add 5000-6000 temporary jobs not 200,000.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts
First the promise of vetoing SOPA, now this. Go Obama! Also I realize that I should be angry about the way Obama rejected this considering I've been mad at reps for doing this ever since he set foot in office, but poetic justice is a beautiful thing.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
It was a temporary job...nothing lost here and we are saving the environment. Yay!
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6967 Posts

It was a temporary job...nothing lost here and we are saving the environment. Yay!MgamerBD

It will be so funny once you Americans belatedly realize that this will eventually cost the US several hundred $ billion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

No they do not... Romney says corporations are people. Romney kills corporations and lays off millions of people. Romney is a serial killer ad needs to be ran in the general election.

Banjo_Kongfooie

You have proof for the number of people Bain Capital laid off?

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Obama laughably blames the Republicans for this. This man refuses to take responsibility for anything. Every problem that arises is always someone else's fault.:roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Why are we arguing over a project that would create 150,000 to 200,000 temporary jobs and probably 50 permanent jobs while substantially increasing the risks of cancer and contaminated drinking water for millions of Americans instead of thinking of ways we could create tens of millions of jobs rebuilding our country? After the millions of jobs lost during this mess that began under previous economic policies, are we really drawing battle lines and making an issue out of a project this small instead of something big enough to put a dent in the unemployment rate? This is nothing more than political bs that will have no real effect on the country except for people that work in construction, and even they would be taken care of if we started rebuilding our infrastructure. genfactor

There is nothing, short of a multi-trillion dollar stimulus focused only on infrastructure projects, that would create a "dent" in our unemployment. But that won't happen because we can't trust the government to buckle up and become fiscally responsible after the money runs out. So we have to do the small things that take time.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 QuistisTrepe_

Go Obama! Also I realize that I should be angry about the way Obama rejected this considering I've been mad at reps for doing this ever since he set foot in office, but poetic justice is a beautiful thing. Serraph105

Go Obama! Keep stifiling industry! Keep unemployment numbers up! Keep killing jobs like this so that your poll numbers will plummet!

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I imagine that this will be approved sometime in the next six months by the gentleman in the oval office.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="genfactor"]Why are we arguing over a project that would create 150,000 to 200,000 temporary jobs and probably 50 permanent jobs while substantially increasing the risks of cancer and contaminated drinking water for millions of Americans instead of thinking of ways we could create tens of millions of jobs rebuilding our country? After the millions of jobs lost during this mess that began under previous economic policies, are we really drawing battle lines and making an issue out of a project this small instead of something big enough to put a dent in the unemployment rate? This is nothing more than political bs that will have no real effect on the country except for people that work in construction, and even they would be taken care of if we started rebuilding our infrastructure. airshocker

There is nothing, short of a multi-trillion dollar stimulus focused only on infrastructure projects, that would create a "dent" in our unemployment. But that won't happen because we can't trust the government to buckle up and become fiscally responsible after the money runs out. So we have to do the small things that take time.

This is worthless to talk about in the context of jobs. A recent State Department study said the construction workforce would be 5,000 to 6,000 workers. And once the construction phase ends, almost all of these jobs, however many are created, would go away.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="genfactor"]Why are we arguing over a project that would create 150,000 to 200,000 temporary jobs and probably 50 permanent jobs while substantially increasing the risks of cancer and contaminated drinking water for millions of Americans instead of thinking of ways we could create tens of millions of jobs rebuilding our country? After the millions of jobs lost during this mess that began under previous economic policies, are we really drawing battle lines and making an issue out of a project this small instead of something big enough to put a dent in the unemployment rate? This is nothing more than political bs that will have no real effect on the country except for people that work in construction, and even they would be taken care of if we started rebuilding our infrastructure. Person0

This is worthless to talk about in the context of jobs. A recent State Department study said the construction workforce would be 5,000 to 6,000 workers. And once the construction phase ends, almost all of these jobs, however many are created, would go away.

The State Department has vast experience in geology, engineering, and mining. Oh, and nice link by the way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

QuistisTrepe_

The State Department has vast experience in geology, engineering, and mining. Oh, and nice link by the way.

NPR

Those 100,000-200,000 estimates are coming from a person hired by Transcanada the company to build the pipeline.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="Person0"] This is worthless to talk about in the context of jobs. A recent State Department study said the construction workforce would be 5,000 to 6,000 workers. And once the construction phase ends, almost all of these jobs, however many are created, would go away.Person0

NPR

Those 100,000-200,000 estimates are coming from a person hired by Transcanada the company to build the pipeline.

All of which is inconclusive. I guess now we'll never know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"]

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

The State Department has vast experience in geology, engineering, and mining. Oh, and nice link by the way.QuistisTrepe_

NPR

Trust the people with no vested interest 1 way or another(state department) or trust the company that is trying to build the pipeline (transcanada). 1 seems a little more trustworthy and realistic.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="Person0"]

NPR

Person0

Trust the people with no vested interest 1 way or another(state department) or trust the company that is trying to build the pipeline (transcanada). 1 seems a little more trustworthy and realistic.

Uh, no it's not. This is some of the worst kind of piss poor logic I've stumbled across in quite some time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"]

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

Uh, no it's not. This is some of the worst kind of piss poor logic I've stumbled across in quite some time.

So Transcanada the company that is trying to build the pipeline estimates that hundreds of thousands of jobs will be created if they were allowed to build their pipeline, you don't see the conflict of interest there?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Person0"]

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

If it's piss poor logic to you does that mean it's actually very sound logic?
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="Person0"] Trust the people with no vested interest 1 way or another(state department) or trust the company that is trying to build the pipeline (transcanada). 1 seems a little more trustworthy and realistic.

Ace6301

Assuming that one side doesn't have any motives here, wow.:lol:

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

Assuming that one one side has any motives here, wow.:lol:

I don't care about whatever you two are on about. I'm only here to ask those hard hitting philosophical questions.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Serraph105

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]Go Obama! Also I realize that I should be angry about the way Obama rejected this considering I've been mad at reps for doing this ever since he set foot in office, but poetic justice is a beautiful thing. QuistisTrepe_

Go Obama! Keep stifiling industry! Keep unemployment numbers up! Keep killing jobs like this so that your poll numbers will plummet!

You do realize that Obama essentially sided with his own party on this right? I doubt he's overly worried about blow back from the side that likes to hate him every day.
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 majoras_wrath

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

So you solely pick on his poor choice of wording, rather then addressing the important point? Would it be better if he said the state department has less vested interests then the company? Because of f*cking course the company is going to say it will make a ton of jobs.
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 majoras_wrath
[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]Go Obama! Also I realize that I should be angry about the way Obama rejected this considering I've been mad at reps for doing this ever since he set foot in office, but poetic justice is a beautiful thing. Serraph105

You do realize that Obama essentially sided with his own party on this right? I doubt he's overly worried about blow back from the side that likes to hate him every day.

The pipeline actually was fairly well-supported on both sides. I could post a poltifact article on that if you wish.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]Go Obama! Also I realize that I should be angry about the way Obama rejected this considering I've been mad at reps for doing this ever since he set foot in office, but poetic justice is a beautiful thing. Serraph105

I know exactly what this is about. He's shoring up his base in an election year. This move is entirely selfish.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] If it's piss poor logic to you does that mean it's actually very sound logic? majoras_wrath

So you solely pick on his poor choice of wording, rather then addressing the important point? Would it be better if he said the state department has less vested interests then the company? Because of f*cking course the company is going to say it will make a ton of jobs.

I was taking him to task on his premise, that was all. Also, I have no tolerance for NPR navel-gazers who genuinely believe that publicly-funded news is somehow sanitized and beyond reproach.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Serraph105

[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

majoras_wrath

The pipeline actually was fairly well-supported on both sides. I could post a poltifact article on that if you wish.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing that. I was looking for it just now, but after 5 pages or so I couldn't find anything about the keystone pipeline.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 majoras_wrath

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"][QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

I was taking him to task on his premise, that was all. Also, I have no tolerance for NPR navel-gazers who genuinely believe that publicly-funded news is somehow sanitized and beyond reproach.

Hm. Seeing as no one has stated what you just have, I'm just going to leave you to your make-believe. Have a good night :)
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 majoras_wrath

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"][QUOTE="Serraph105"] You do realize that Obama essentially sided with his own party on this right? I doubt he's overly worried about blow back from the side that likes to hate him every day.Serraph105

I actually wouldn't mind seeing that. I was looking for it just now, but after 5 pages or so I couldn't find anything about the keystone pipeline.

Admittedly it's not as clear-cut as even I claimed, and mainly appears to pertain to Oregon, but, here it is.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#90 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
And Gas prices will now continue to rise without anything to combat it.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Serraph105
[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"] The pipeline actually was fairly well-supported on both sides. I could post a poltifact article on that if you wish.majoras_wrath

Admittedly it's not as clear-cut as even I claimed, and mainly appears to pertain to Oregon, but, here it is.

alright. I do think that if you asked the voters (dems obviously) you would get less support than what you could get from Congressmen, but I didn't know it had that much support.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Serraph105
And Gas prices will now continue to rise without anything to combat it.bbkkristian
thats what we have troops in the mid-east for. :P I kid, I kid.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#93 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

SOURCE

Thoughts OT? Chalk up a win for the Republicans. Now they have even more ammunition to show that Obama doesn't care about job creation.

airshocker

Sorry but its going to take more then one decision to prove this when Obama has been increasingly pro energy through out his presidency..

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"] So you solely pick on his poor choice of wording, rather then addressing the important point? Would it be better if he said the state department has less vested interests then the company? Because of f*cking course the company is going to say it will make a ton of jobs.majoras_wrath

Hm. Seeing as no one has stated what you just have, I'm just going to leave you to your make-believe. Have a good night :)

Yes, I'm aware no one said that genius. It's the fact that he cited NPR period is the problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#95 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

And Gas prices will now continue to rise without anything to combat it.bbkkristian

Our gas prices have literally risen and fallen for years now based upon a market of speculation rather then something tangible.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 majoras_wrath
[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"][QUOTE="Serraph105"] I actually wouldn't mind seeing that. I was looking for it just now, but after 5 pages or so I couldn't find anything about the keystone pipeline.Serraph105

alright. I do think that if you asked the voters (dems obviously) you would get less support than what you could get from Congressmen, but I didn't know it had that much support.

That is probably true, I'd imagine the democrats base swings waaaaaaaay farther into the left then their elected officials do, which is probably why so many are fed up with their reps.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Serraph105

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]And Gas prices will now continue to rise without anything to combat it.sSubZerOo

Our gas prices have literally risen and fallen for years now based upon a market of speculation rather then something tangible.

not to mention that this project would take years before we saw any oil from it and "nothing" would combat it during that time. I put nothing in quotes of course because there are a lot of initiatives right now that are being done such as new fuel standards, electric cars, and tons of research for the next big thing that will replace oil as a fuel source.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]And Gas prices will now continue to rise without anything to combat it.sSubZerOo

Which is why I'm not exactly worried by this.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Serraph105

QuistisTrepe_

Yes, I'm aware no one said that genius. It's the fact that he cited NPR period is the problem.

Gotta watch out for teh scary liberal media like NPR!
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 majoras_wrath

QuistisTrepe_

Citing a source which is generally regarded as more or less reliable, is navel gazing? Alright dude. :roll: