Obama admin. ends Keystone Pipeline plan.

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

SOURCE

Thoughts OT? Chalk up a win for the Republicans. Now they have even more ammunition to show that Obama doesn't care about job creation.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
Yeah I really don't get this one. Canada says, "hey build this pipeline and we can be oil buddies! If you don't we'll build our own and send it to China." Seems like a pretty easy decision to me. I understand wanting to protect the environment and stuff and maybe there are real concerns and maybe the GOP shouldn't have forced the issue like little children, but for him to scrap it totally is just ridiculous. Bad Obama. Bad.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

If Canada wants to build it, then we should build it. Canada is far more to the left and environmentally conscious than us. If they think its a good thing, then what's the problem? Obama, you so silly.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

If Canada wants to build it, then we should build it. Canada is far more to the left and environmentally conscious than us. If they think its a good thing, then what's the problem? Obama, you so silly.

sonicare
hahaha........no we arent, at least not the guys currently in power or anybody in Alberta (where all the oil comes from)
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Well that's not good for my company. We were going to be building equipment that was going to help build that.

Thanks Obama.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

This is something I will definitely take into consideration come November. I am not pleased.

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
Yaay, sorry to those who have lost something over this but what can I say, environmentalist rule :D
GT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GT90
Member since 2002 • 6256 Posts

From what i've read it isn't completely dead, there is a chance that a similar propsal will get the green light. I'm not personally sold that this 1700 mile pipeline would be the best solution to the untied states oil problems.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Yay, Obama for American Jobs.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

A win for sustainability, a win for clean energy, a win for the environment, a win against big money interests having their way in Washington, if that's a win for Republicans then I hope they never stop winning.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 theone86

Well that's not good for my company. We were going to be building equipment that was going to help build that.

Thanks Obama.

Wasdie

Do I detect a hint of entitlement in your post?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

From what i've read it isn't completely dead, there is a chance that a similar propsal will get the green light. I'm not personally sold that this 1700 mile pipeline would be the best solution to the untied states oil problems.

GT90

It's not a solution to our oil problem. It's a step in the right direction, though. Better to get oil from Canada than the middle-east.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

[QUOTE="GT90"]

airshocker

It's not a solution to our oil problem. It's a step in the right direction, though. Better to get oil from Canada than the middle-east.

From my understanding, this was oil to be refined by US companies, but exported to other countries. Not to be sold in the US market.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

A win for sustainability, a win for clean energy, a win for the environment, a win against big money interests having their way in Washington, if that's a win for Republicans then I hope they never stop winning.

theone86

This is why liberals shouldn't be allowed in office. They're out of their minds.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 theone86

[QUOTE="GT90"]

airshocker

The pipeline has nothing to do with us getting oil, it has to do with transporting it for refinement after which it will join the oil companies' stockpiles, same as Middle Eastern oil, and be sold back to American consumers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="GT90"]

Engrish_Major

From my understanding, this was oil to be refined by US companies, but exported to other countries. Not to be sold in the US market.

son of a ****

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

airshocker

This is why liberals shouldn't be allowed in office. They're out of their minds.

Thanks for playing, feel free to try again anytime.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

From my understanding, this was oil to be refined by US companies, but exported to other countries. Not to be sold in the US market.Engrish_Major

Who said it was going to be exported to other markets?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

theone86

Hey, it's not my fault you're insane.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ristactionjakso

theone86

Environmentalists +1.....American Jobs 0.......I guess having no jobs is batter than having jobs...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
I live in Alberta. GIMMIE DAT OIL MONEY
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

airshocker

I never knew that insane was a synonym for well-informed, it's not even here in my thesaurus. I better have a word with Mirriam-Webster.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I never knew that insane was a synonym for well-informed, it's not even here in my thesaurus. I better have a word with Mirriam-Webster.

theone86

Considering you haven't shown anything to back up your point, well-informed doesn't really apply to you right now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Thesauruses went extinct thousands of years ago. Dont look at me funny, I'm just trying to get sig quoted.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

sonicare

No, according to the current government environmentalists are 'dangerous radicals intent on destroying the economy'

Just look at this radical, one step away from launching an environmental jihad! We all know these environmental concerns about the project are BS, and hell if there is any danger wildlife will just adapt.

See, the wildlife is fine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

No, according to the current government environmentalists are 'dangerous radicals intent on destroying the economy'

Just look at this radical, one step away from launching an environmental jihad!

That dude weaponized the H1N1 virus.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

ristactionjakso

Environmentalists +1.....American Jobs 0.......I guess having no jobs is batter than having jobs...

It can be depending on the consequences those jobs would have, in this case destroying the environment. I'm a bit more angry at those who are outsourcing well-paying jobs that aren't destroying the environment. Mitt Romney killed more American jobs than were lost because this proposal didn't go through, and unlike stopping this proposal he killed jobs for personal profit and not because it had some other positive outcome.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Engrish_Major
http://www.tarsandsaction.org/spread-the-word/key-facts-keystone-xl/ "Keystone XL is an export pipeline. According to presentations to investors, Gulf Coast refiners plan to refine the cheap Canadian crude supplied by the pipeline into diesel and other products for export to Europe and Latin America. Proceeds from these exports are earned tax-free. Much of the fuel refined from the pipeline's heavy crude oil will never reach U.S. drivers' tanks"
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theone86

sonicare

They're not really more environmentally conscious than us, they have one of the highest greenhouse emission rates of developed nations and are perfectly willing to put profit before environmental protection. I'd be more than willing to wager that most environmentalist groups have plenty of issues with Canadian policies.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

It can be depending on the consequences those jobs would have, in this case destroying the environment. I'm a bit more angry at those who are outsourcing well-paying jobs that aren't destroying the environment. Mitt Romney killed more American jobs than were lost because this proposal didn't go through, and unlike stopping this proposal he killed jobs for personal profit and not because it had some other positive outcome.

You're really misinformed if you think modern construction standards destroy the environment. This isn't the 50s where slash and burn is common practice.

Modern construction practices have minimal environmental impact. We have the EPA and many other agencies that would make sure of this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
http://www.tarsandsaction.org/spread-the-word/key-facts-keystone-xl/ "Keystone XL is an export pipeline. According to presentations to investors, Gulf Coast refiners plan to refine the cheap Canadian crude supplied by the pipeline into diesel and other products for export to Europe and Latin America. Proceeds from these exports are earned tax-free. Much of the fuel refined from the pipeline's heavy crude oil will never reach U.S. drivers' tanks"Engrish_Major
Those sons of b!tches.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wasdie  Moderator

http://www.tarsandsaction.org/spread-the-word/key-facts-keystone-xl/ "Keystone XL is an export pipeline. According to presentations to investors, Gulf Coast refiners plan to refine the cheap Canadian crude supplied by the pipeline into diesel and other products for export to Europe and Latin America. Proceeds from these exports are earned tax-free. Much of the fuel refined from the pipeline's heavy crude oil will never reach U.S. drivers' tanks"Engrish_Major

So it would help with our trade deficit...

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Good.
defii9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 defii9
Member since 2010 • 71 Posts

ROFL I'm going to take a rational guess and assume that the massive majority of people wanted this plan to go through. This is a dumb move and will be a huge deal in the elections.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]Environmentalists +1.....American Jobs 0.......I guess having no jobs is batter than having jobs...

Wasdie

You're really misinformed if you think modern construction standards destroy the environment. This isn't the 50s where slash and burn is common practice.

Modern construction practices have minimal environmental impact. We have the EPA and many other agencies that would make sure of this.

For one the EPA can be manipulated. Two, there are plenty of substantiated reports showing the environmental impact of this pipeline. It intersects many key environments and the practices used would uproot local species and destroy the ecological balance. Technology is not magic, you can't just wave a wand and make all the problems of building in a habitat disappear.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts

ROFL I'm going to take a rational guess and assume that the massive majority of people wanted this plan to go through. This is a dumb move and will be a huge deal in the elections.

defii9
It's not done and over with, more of a symbolic move to throw it in the GOPs face that they gave him a deadline that could not be met. It looks pretty bad for Obama though.
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
I don't understand this move... on the surface it's a sound environmental choice, but China has already expressed interest in seeing an alternate pipeline if we decline. On balance, I think this needs to go through, although I agree with the administration that this time-table is about politics, and foolish.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Engrish_Major
To highlight some of the main points made in this paper: -The construction of KXL will create far fewer jobs in the US than its proponents have claimed and may actually destroy more jobs than it generates. -The industry's US job claims, and even the State Department's analysis, are linked to a $7 billion KXL project budget. However, the budget for KXL that will have a bearing on US jobs figures is dramatically lower - only around $3 to $4 billion. -The claim that KXL will create 20,000 direct construction and manufacturing jobs in the US is unsubstantiated. There is strong evidence to suggest that a large portion of the primary material input for KXL steel pipe will not even be produced in the US -The industry's job projections fail to consider the large number of jobs that could be lost by construction of KXL. This includes jobs lost due to consumers in the Midwest paying 10 to 20 cents more per gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel. These additional costs ($2 to $4 billion) will suppress other spending and cost jobs. Furthermore, pipeline spills, pollution and increased greenhouse gas emissions incur significant human health and economic costs, thus eliminating jobs. Put simply, KXL's job creation potential is relatively small, and could be completely outweighed by the project's potential to destroy jobs through rising fuel costs, spill damage and clean up operations, air pollution and increased GHG emissions. As noted above, it is unfortunate that the numbers generated by TransCanada, the industry, and the Perryman study have been subject to so little scrutiny, because they clearly inflate the projections for the numbers of direct, indirect, and long-term induced jobs that KXL might expect to create. What is being offered by the proponents is advocacy to build support for KXL, rather than serious research aimed to inform public debate and responsible decision making. By repeating inflated job numbers, the supporters of KXL approval are doing an injustice to the American public in that expectations are raised for jobs that simply cannot be met. These numbers - hundreds of thousands of jobs - then get packaged as if KXL were a major jobs program capable of registering some kind of significant impact on unemployment levels and the overall economy. This is plainly untrue. http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/globallaborinstitute/research/upload/GLI_KeystoneXL_Reportpdf.pdf
CajunMadePunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CajunMadePunk
Member since 2011 • 7425 Posts
This was a poor decision made by Mr. Obama.
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

These jobs would not destroy the environment. We have a ton of piplines already in America, is the environment destroyed? Nope. The pipline would add jobs to the unemployed. Obama isntead is interested in keeping the average American down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
I don't understand this move... on the surface it's a sound environmental choice, but China has already expressed interest in seeing an alternate pipeline if we decline. On balance, I think this needs to go through, although I agree with the administration that this time-table is about politics, and foolish.Frame_Dragger
I was listening to NPR a few weeks ago and they were discussing this. I think the timeline may have been on the Canadian side. They wanted a decision by a certain time otherwise they would go with another group. Originally, the US was planning on having my home state of michigan build the pipeline. They were going to use the same crews that help with road repairs and construction. However, given their efficiency, it was predicted that the pipeline would take approximately 3.56 billion years to complete, so Canada decided to look elsewhere.
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"]I don't understand this move... on the surface it's a sound environmental choice, but China has already expressed interest in seeing an alternate pipeline if we decline. On balance, I think this needs to go through, although I agree with the administration that this time-table is about politics, and foolish.sonicare
I was listening to NPR a few weeks ago and they were discussing this. I think the timeline may have been on the Canadian side. They wanted a decision by a certain time otherwise they would go with another group. Originally, the US was planning on having my home state of michigan build the pipeline. They were going to use the same crews that help with road repairs and construction. However, given their efficiency, it was predicted that the pipeline would take approximately 3.56 billion years to complete, so Canada decided to look elsewhere.

I see... I'll have to get my hands on that NPR program and get more info about this... I don't know enough abou tit. Thanks for the info... I think I'll just lurk this thread and learn.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

200,000 jobs were added this pass December and the U.S. has been consistently gaining 100,000+ jobs every month all quarter. I don't want to say that this Keystone pipeline deal was good or bad, but in the grand scheme of things, job rates are improving despite losing potentially 20,000 jobs.

The only thing I can say, job wise, is that the largest employment hit was the construction industry and jobs in this sector would of provided larger long-term benefits than jobs gained in otherwise shovel-ready positions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

200,000 jobs were added this pass December and the U.S. has been consistently gaining 100,000+ jobs every month all quarter. I don't want to say that this Keystone pipeline deal was good or bad, but in the grand scheme of things, job rates are improving despite losing potentially 20,000 jobs.

The only thing I can say, job wise, is that the largest employment hit was the construction industry and jobs in this sector would of provided larger long-term benefits than jobs gained in otherwise shovel-ready positions.

Blue-Sky

The only thing those jobs do is take care of people who are just entering the market. It's not good enough, especially when real unemployment is around 16, 17%.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
And the world just keeps on spinning.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

From the supposed fallout effect of the pipeline, I like the decesion.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]From my understanding, this was oil to be refined by US companies, but exported to other countries. Not to be sold in the US market.airshocker

Who said it was going to be exported to other markets?

At this point we're now a net exporter of petroleum, if I recall correctly.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Keystone pipeline was set to create only 2000-4600 temporary construction jobs for two years according to a Cornell study.

In that case, I'm glad Obama didnt give it the go.

EsYuGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EsYuGee
Member since 2007 • 466 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]Environmentalists +1.....American Jobs 0.......I guess having no jobs is batter than having jobs...

ristactionjakso

These jobs would not destroy the environment. We have a ton of piplines already in America, is the environment destroyed? Nope. The pipline would add jobs to the unemployed. Obama isntead is interested in keeping the average American down.

Ok, really now. You actually think the main objective of this pipeline is to help the average American?
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
I wish more people would actually read up on the pipeline, instead of buying into the bogus figures the oil company is giving us. Securing a better source of oil my ass.