My Girlfriend -18- facing Sexual Harrassment from manager -~42-, need legal advi

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts

Easy, burn down the restaurant.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Why would you come to Gamespot Off-Topic for legal advice? Call a lawyer or something.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
What you could do is go from bottom to top, start with the general manager and try to sort things with him perhaps that is enough and you may avoid taking leagl action, if the proves to be futlie, go ahead and call a lawyer and arrange a meeting with the manager and try to make things work if that is not enought THEN you should consider court. My other advice would be, confront the manager, of course don't go with a stone on each hand, be polite, brave and respectful, man to man, most of the time people who want to steal other people's girlfriends chicken out when the said boyfriend confronts them. Who knows, that could be enough, then again you have to consider if this won't affect your GF's job. Really though situation you got there TC, the best advice we can all give other than our opinions is....talk to a lawyer.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
deactivated-5d25ae64ef918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
Member since 2008 • 8101 Posts
Start hitting on the manager and tell him the only reason your dating that girl is to get close to him.cd_rom
By far the best and most effective answer in here.
Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#55 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

Maybe he thinks that since she switched to his new restaurant it means she is attracted to him, and he's just kindof creeping out like a lot of unstable males seem to do.

Has she tried telling him to.......stop?

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I'd go straight up the ladder to human resources about this, and contact police and file a report. Have her write down all the times she's gotten texts from him, and save them if she can, or call her phone company and have a record of the texts he sent given to her, if at all possible. Having other employees issue statements can help too. Basically just make sure she has everything she can written down.
xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts
Not sure what the legal thing to do is but I agree with GabuEx get a lawyer
stray2615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 stray2615
Member since 2010 • 534 Posts

Try reasoning with him through mime. That is bound to work.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
Punching the guy in the face for hitting on your girlfriend might be a start.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

Get her to use a recorder or video camera to get these things he does on record, then get witnesses who are willing to testify and bring him to court for sexual harassment.

You'll easily win and he'll get fired. Or you can just blackmail him.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts

If people are so creeped out by him why the hell do they still work there?

Joshywaa
This is what I was thinking...you know she can always...just quit..
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Start hitting on the manager and tell him the only reason your dating that girl is to get close to him.cd_rom

You sir, have made my day

On a serious note: seek legal advice, that is some serious ******:|

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#63 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Go pay a lawyer a visit. Hell, even asking on attorney forum is better than here.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

Glad you came to OT, we are experts at this kind of situation we are all Lawyers too! 8)

KeitekeTokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 KeitekeTokage
Member since 2011 • 770 Posts
[QUOTE="Joshywaa"]

MgamerBD

Generally you're supposed to report harmful behavior, not just let it go, because it could, you know, harm someone. Just quitting without doing anything would not only do nothing for what he's doing to her, but would allow him to continue to do it to others in the future, why would she want to do that? Also, its her job, she'd prefer to keep it without having to report to an environment that's hostile and where she feels unsafe because of one person.
Vampireofficer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Vampireofficer
Member since 2011 • 77 Posts
Flirt ro the Mangager intil he stops the Sexual Harrassment.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#67 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44574 Posts
sounds like you're on the right track, if you've other people besides your girlfriend that can attest to his behavior then the general manager is going to listen, and if the GM sides with the creep then you guys have grounds for a lawsuit, worst case is if the GM just tells the creepy guy to change his behavior, but if he's still in charge he'll probably be passive aggressive, cut your GF's hours or give her the slow ones, and make things difficult around the workplace, maybe just as a pre-caution she should see about getting hired at another restaurant, if it ever did end up in a lawsuit it's going to take a while I'm guessing
lasseeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lasseeb
Member since 2010 • 1186 Posts

Give him the chair

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Legally i don't think you have much to go on for a sexual harassment suit however you should be able to get somewhere by talking to his superior.
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

I'm a lawyer and I suggest you beat the **** out of him.

Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

Not exactly sure how much of a legal case she has. (YOU, from what I understand, have no case because it has nothing to do with you).

I'll just note that in order for a suit to have any teeth, she has to formally complain that she is being harassed by the manager. If upper management doesn't mitigate the situation and lets it continue, THEN you have a case. They can't help her if they don't know it's a problem.

I'm not sure how much it will help her 'case' that she left her job to follow this manager to a new company. It doesn't really paint him as a 'bad guy' from her perspective.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#72 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

Maybe he thinks that since she switched to his new restaurant it means she is attracted to him, and he's just kindof creeping out like a lot of unstable males seem to do.

Has she tried telling him to.......stop?

Joshywaa
My thoughts exactly.
tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts
Seeing an opportunity to switch to a new place and having a good relationship with the manager, she was able to quit place X and by his referral for the most part begin to work at resturant Z which they now both work at.KeitekeTokage
Here is your problem.
tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts
Brilliant :lol:
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Dude, contact a lawyer, not OT. This is serious business, and you shouldn't rely on us to give you sound legal advice.

KeitekeTokage

It was only for extra input for those who wanted to be serious. A lawyer can't be contacted until tomorrow and I've already duplicated this post on legal forums. So far, no ones been serious, which isn't surprising.

You can't post things that are serious on the net and expect tham to act all civilized.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#76 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Sexual harassment in the workplace is illegal and most companies can get into serious trouble if they ignore it. Most places have set policies for reporting untoward conduct. Sometimes it can be hard to prove, but you are generally protected against termination if you file a complaint. If she is bothered by this manager's behavior, then she should file a complaint. If you're bothered by his behavior but she isn't, then that's a different situation.

Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Sandulf29
Member since 2010 • 14330 Posts

Why does every one having a problem doesn't contact a pro in the field but OT. I mean contact doctors about disease, see shrinks about your issues, sit your lawyers for your legal problems etc. Why OT?

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Why does every one having a problem doesn't contact a pro in the field but OT. I mean contact doctors about disease, see shrinks about your issues, sit your lawyers for your legal problems etc. Why OT?

Sandulf29
Maybe some are embarrassed to talk to a real person?
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#79 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

What a creep, I say you tell him to f*** off, although probably not a good thing to do with a 40 year old guy. Maybe you should tell the police, or wait for it to get really bad then you can accuse him of stalking or something.

KeitekeTokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 KeitekeTokage
Member since 2011 • 770 Posts

Not exactly sure how much of a legal case she has. (YOU, from what I understand, have no case because it has nothing to do with you).

I'll just note that in order for a suit to have any teeth, she has to formally complain that she is being harassed by the manager. If upper management doesn't mitigate the situation and lets it continue, THEN you have a case. They can't help her if they don't know it's a problem.

I'm not sure how much it will help her 'case' that she left her job to follow this manager to a new company. It doesn't really paint him as a 'bad guy' from her perspective.

YellowOneKinobi
Isn't that really irrelevant? His behavior has changed since them, there isn't any way she could have known he would turn like this. I'm scared for her well being at this point, I don't want this to end up like any of the sick stories I hear on the news. She's going in to talk to her general manager to set up a meeting time for them to discuss the issue today, so hopefully this will be resolved and this manager will be taken care of. She'll likely quit after that because neither of us know if this guy is stable, and he has had access to her personal information being manager and all, which is something I worry about as well. But his behavior needs to be reported, spending your time while working constantly badgering an employee some 24 years your junior about not kissing her bf, living with him, shouldn't be with him, going to get sick from him, etc all while in front of other employees is harassment. Then to cross the line and make accusations that you've witnessed the employees boyfriend cheating on her in an attempt to break them up isn't the way a manager this old should be conducting himself, as well as texting the employee and asking to go on dinner dates.
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Don't worry. You've come to the right place.mattbbpl
This made me lol for about 5 minutes :lol:
supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

Familiarise yourself with the Commander Shephard School of Lawhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TgTLJXoD_othen have a chat with the manager and wait for the little red symbol to pop up and make sure you dont miss it. Problem solved, no need to thank me.

HT89488

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 HT89488
Member since 2010 • 1229 Posts
she is cheating on you, what gf would let anyone talk that way about their bf? Mine wouldn't.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Let him borrow her for one night, im sure everything will be ok then.

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 SoBaus
Member since 2011 • 546 Posts

pretty limited legally, since he hasnt actually done anything illegal.

My ex was a waitress and had problems with some creepy regular customers (but not the boss) and i eventually had her resort to calling me when they came in... and i drove there and sort of gave them a stern warning, which worked well.

I didnt threaten them, i just said their behavior was unwelcomed... with the most threatening look possible (cant be arrested for facial expressions). It never happened again.

Probably gonna have to take this one into your own hands, best case scenario legally would be applying for a restraining order... but she might lose her job. Sometimes a hint of vigilante justice, is the best justice... if he has a wife... threaten to tell her, if he doesnt... you just gotta try to be intimidating as possible (without making an explicit verbal threat, cuz you can get arrested for that). If you personally arent very intimidating, bring a buddy or two and just have them stare him down while you ask him to leave her alone.

There are obviously some other avenues you could take, but i cant recommend them. Ill just say, the law probably wont help much on this one.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#86 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18253 Posts

I had plenty of jokes of this thread...but most of them have seen mentioned already and some of them were pretty damn good :lol:

So, i'll try to be different and give a serious answer :o

Ok, so first of all, i'm not a legal expert, hell, i wouldn't even trust my self for anything remotely legal, however, in your place i would try to talk to him to see what's his problem, he is going to probably tell you that a) nothing is true and your GF is probably seeing things or b) he will tell you that he was just joking, of course you are going to "believe him" however you will also tell him that you won't stand for more of this stuffs and you and your girl could take legal actions if he doesn't stop.

Don't treat him physically, that will only make matters worst for your girl, if he doesn't calm down, then get a couple of witness, and evidence about the harassment and sue him, the worst thing it could happen is your girl getting fired, but i think is better than expose her to more humiliations or worst things by this guy.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"][QUOTE="Joshywaa"]

KeitekeTokage

Generally you're supposed to report harmful behavior, not just let it go, because it could, you know, harm someone. Just quitting without doing anything would not only do nothing for what he's doing to her, but would allow him to continue to do it to others in the future, why would she want to do that? Also, its her job, she'd prefer to keep it without having to report to an environment that's hostile and where she feels unsafe because of one person.

So then has she ever said "stop"?
HT89488

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 HT89488
Member since 2010 • 1229 Posts
If she is going to quit anyways, then let her find another job and don't bother with a 2 weeks notice, the next place she works for I am sure they will ask, just be honest and I am sure they will understand. If you can't afford her not to work providing your working as well....Then offer to work a second job on top of your full time job while she reestablishes herself. I just find it odd that she left to go work at the restaurant he is working at, despite of what you said in your initial post. If she is worth fighting for make the effort to make this change.
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"]

KeitekeTokage

Isn't that really irrelevant? His behavior has changed since them, there isn't any way she could have known he would turn like this. I'm scared for her well being at this point, I don't want this to end up like any of the sick stories I hear on the news. She's going in to talk to her general manager to set up a meeting time for them to discuss the issue today, so hopefully this will be resolved and this manager will be taken care of. She'll likely quit after that because neither of us know if this guy is stable, and he has had access to her personal information being manager and all, which is something I worry about as well. But his behavior needs to be reported, spending your time while working constantly badgering an employee some 24 years your junior about not kissing her bf, living with him, shouldn't be with him, going to get sick from him, etc all while in front of other employees is harassment. Then to cross the line and make accusations that you've witnessed the employees boyfriend cheating on her in an attempt to break them up isn't the way a manager this old should be conducting himself, as well as texting the employee and asking to go on dinner dates.

I'm just saying that, should this go to trial, or more likely arbitration, NOTHING is irrelevant (at least as far as the defense lawyers are concerned). Do you really think that a defense lawyer wouldn't ask why she followed him to this new restaurant? I'm not saying that he didn't change his attitude towards her, but the question would be raised.

It's good that she's going to speak to someone over the managers head, because it's important to have this documented. If she hasn't already, I'd advise her to keep a little notebook (at home) with times, dates and locations of when "improper" things are said to her.

As a side note, do I think the manager sounds like a wack-a-do? Of course. But then again I don't know anything besides what you have written here. As far as him saying this or that about living with you, etc, for all I know that could just be part of a personal discussion they had. There are some people that I have worked with for years and after a while, not all conversations in the break room are strictly business. I personally limit the amount of 'personal stuff' that I talk about regarding my own life, but I know plenty of people that are basically an 'open book' and talk about girlfriends, boyfriends, lazy husbands, etc. It's not impossible that his opinions about you are completely warranted (or at least part of a conversation in which he was aksed for his opinion of you). But once again I'll say all I know about this is a few lines written on an internet forum.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

The only person who can take a legal action is your girlfriend, not you. If she feels harassed then she has the full right to file a complain, or even contact a lawyer and sue him for harassment, but if your girlfriend has no intentions to do that then you cannot do that for her. You are speaking the story as if you're the one who is harassed. Has your girlfriend complained to you? In matter of facts, has your girlfriend complained to anyone? If she is not complaining then you should tell her to do so. If she is so displeased with her manager'sactions then why the hell didn't she do somethign about it? This is not helping your case. You have no evidence that support your claim, you are basicly an outsider, ..only she has evidence. Only she can do somethign about it.

Don't talk to a lawyer, let her talk to a lawyer with you supporting her. That is the very first step.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

Also, as far as the law is concerned, I don't think any legal action can be taken against the manager other than harassment (if that can even be taken). He basicly haven't touched her nor did he commit any crime against her. This issue does not need courts to be solved. If she feels threatened then thats a different story.

If hes only infatuated by her then then least she can do is get a restraining order.

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 SoBaus

[QUOTE="KeitekeTokage"][QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"]

YellowOneKinobi

I'm just saying that, should this go to trial, or more likely arbitration, NOTHING is irrelevant (at least as far as the defense lawyers are concerned). Do you really think that a defense lawyer wouldn't ask why she followed him to this new restaurant? I'm not saying that he didn't change his attitude towards her, but the question would be raised.

It's good that she's going to speak to someone over the managers head, because it's important to have this documented. If she hasn't already, I'd advise her to keep a little notebook (at home) with times, dates and locations of when "improper" things are said to her.

As a side note, do I think the manager sounds like a wack-a-do? Of course. But then again I don't know anything besides what you have written here. As far as him saying this or that about living with you, etc, for all I know that could just be part of a personal discussion they had. There are some people that I have worked with for years and after a while, not all conversations in the break room are strictly business. I personally limit the amount of 'personal stuff' that I talk about regarding my own life, but I know plenty of people that are basically an 'open book' and talk about girlfriends, boyfriends, lazy husbands, etc. It's not impossible that his opinions about you are completely warranted (or at least part of a conversation in which he was aksed for his opinion of you). But once again I'll say all I know about this is a few lines written on an internet forum.

You actually sound like a middle management guy flexing your miniscule muscle, worried about the implications for yourself and trying to cover your ass.

Im not saying any of this is true, i just know if that was my scenario... thats the message i would type.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="KeitekeTokage"] Isn't that really irrelevant? His behavior has changed since them, there isn't any way she could have known he would turn like this. I'm scared for her well being at this point, I don't want this to end up like any of the sick stories I hear on the news. She's going in to talk to her general manager to set up a meeting time for them to discuss the issue today, so hopefully this will be resolved and this manager will be taken care of. She'll likely quit after that because neither of us know if this guy is stable, and he has had access to her personal information being manager and all, which is something I worry about as well. But his behavior needs to be reported, spending your time while working constantly badgering an employee some 24 years your junior about not kissing her bf, living with him, shouldn't be with him, going to get sick from him, etc all while in front of other employees is harassment. Then to cross the line and make accusations that you've witnessed the employees boyfriend cheating on her in an attempt to break them up isn't the way a manager this old should be conducting himself, as well as texting the employee and asking to go on dinner dates.SoBaus

You actually sound like a middle management guy flexing your miniscule muscle, worried about the implications for yourself and trying to cover your ass.

Im not saying any of this is true, i just know if that was my scenario... thats the message i would type.

You kinda sound like someone with little (if any) experience working in a 'real' company. That being said......

Care to take issue with anything I said in particular? Or just tossing bombs maybe?

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"]I'm just saying that, should this go to trial, or more likely arbitration, NOTHING is irrelevant (at least as far as the defense lawyers are concerned). Do you really think that a defense lawyer wouldn't ask why she followed him to this new restaurant? I'm not saying that he didn't change his attitude towards her, but the question would be raised.

YellowOneKinobi

You kinda sound like someone with little (if any) experience working in a 'real' company. That being said......

Care to take issue with anything I said in particular? Or just tossing bombs maybe?

Well glad we are both making (theoretically) wrong assumptions about one another(welll you are 100% wrong, dunno about me yet.)... that being said you seemed to be a perfect the diplomatic response to a sexual harassment case. Seems like familiar territory.

XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#95 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

Here's my sound advice.

First of all you should've never put information, even if you didn't include any pertainant names or places, in a public forum. There are somethings you need to keep to yourself if you wish to pursue a legal matter.

And second, you could always take this case to Judge Judy and have her publicly embarrass her boss and maybe make $5000 on the side. (This response is more in line with this forum's air of hebetudinous responses).

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

SoBaus

Well glad we are both making (theoretically) wrong assumptions about one another(welll you are 100% wrong, dunno about me yet.)... that being said you seemed to be a perfect the diplomatic response to a sexual harassment case. Seems like familiar territory.

Work in any field long enough, and you see all kinds of things. I've seen sexual harassment lawsuits that were completely baseless as well as others that had merrit to them. While I haven't been directly involved in any of them, I have seen how these things play out. So if you want to call that "familiar territory," then I'm fine with that.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
fact: it is only sexual harrassment if she lets him know his advances are unwanted and he continues, if she does not let him know it is not harrassment.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
What's up with people and the phrase "sexual harassment". Should we start praying for working women in order to respect their feminism and professionalism? I mean seriously tell your girlfriend to tell her boss that she is not interested whatsoever.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

What's up with people and the phrase "sexual harassment". Should we start praying for working women in order to respect their feminism and professionalism? I mean seriously tell your girlfriend to tell her boss that she is not interested whatsoever. GazaAli
till she does that it is not harassment, kinda like my female friends that smack me on the butt, unless i tell them i dont like it, it is not harrassment.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#100 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Call a lawyer. However I'm sure the gamers of OT who's played Phoenix Wright can help you and/or the ones who are currently taking up law.