Low IQ Linked to Prejudice, H*mophobia and Conservative Beliefs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

There's no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb, according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.

The research finds that children with low intelligence are more likely to hold prejudiced attitudes as adults. These findings point to a vicious cycle, according to lead researcher Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario. Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found. Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can contribute to prejudice, Hodson wrote in an email to LiveScience.

In another study, this one in the United States, Hodson and Busseri compared 254 people with the same amount of education but different levels of ability in abstract reasoning. They found that what applies to racism may also apply to homophobia. People who were poorer at abstract reasoning were more likely to exhibit prejudice against gays. As in the U.K. citizens, a lack of contact with gays and more acceptance of right-wing authoritarianism explained the link.

http://www.livescience.com/18132-intelligence-social-conservatism-racism.html

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
I don't know.....I think those ideas are taught. Nonetheless....no worries....I don't believe any of the above.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tenaka2

I don't know.....I think those ideas are taught. Nonetheless....no worries....I don't believe any of the above.LJS9502_basic

No one would think you would accept any of the above, your posting indicates that you qualify at least partially for most of the above.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

But what if you raise a child to hate against homosexuals or to show color people are inferior to you?

What if society all have the same metality of how things should be?

Yes, if you generalize a group or say something negative to a race because of one person out of that group did something disrespectful or hateful, then that would be pretty ignorant of you to think so. Same thing goes for people who say all Americans are fat or stupid.

Some people are just really strict with their culture and would die to have it changed.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
yeah. even though im conservative, a libertarian. the feeling i get is strongly in line with those findings.
Fire_Emblem_RD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 Fire_Emblem_RD
Member since 2008 • 9611 Posts
I think the low IQ of the parents is what instills the prejudice into the minds of children. Same with homophobia. That conservatism one though is strange, as most studies find that its the rich that are conservative, and while rich people can most certainly have a low IQ, its usually those who have a lower IQ who are most open to change because they are usually at the bottom of a social hierarchy, where smart people and/or people with money, use social hierarchies to their advantage. From what I've seen though, definitely in the case of homophobia and conservatism. Its people with strict religious beliefs (namely christian) who tend to be the most conservative and/or homophobic in any given society. I don't mean to imply they have a low IQ though.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
From what I've seen I tend to agree with that article.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
I can see where a correlation would be drawn between the two but lets not jump to causation. I think there are a multitude of factors that play into bigotry.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
You could sample a bunch of black Democrats and get same results. This study has already been debunked. It's a pathetic attempt to make a group look horrible.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tenaka2

You could sample a bunch of black Democrats and get same results. This study has already been debunked. It's a pathetic attempt to make a group look horrible.DevilMightCry

Debunked? Could you provide some more details? Perhaps a link?

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

IQ's a funny old thing - it certainly shouldn't be held on a pedestal as the 'inteligence quotient' it purports to be, however there is some (and only some) logic in the correlation between the ability to process information with susceptibility to external influences, i.e beliefs (be they positive or negative by reference of the 'norm') which will more likely be incorporated if less likely to move through a 'normal' rationalising process, which in itself is a cognitive processing excercise akin (in a loose way) to questions posed in an IQ test. However, it isn't soley nor wholly the reserve of those with lesser IQ people that people with lesser IQ like to call 'dumb fuks'. There's some extremely bright bunnys hopping around out there with a rationalised dislike for gays too.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Correlation doesn't equate to causation.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#13 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Studies based on IQ tests should always be taken with a grain of salt. So should any politicised study, really. I read an article like 6 months ago in which a study allegedly showed that left-wing beliefs were caused by a certain defunct in the brain.

Yeah, I smell bs.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Correlation doesn't equate to causation. th3warr1or

true, but it's a neat coincidence.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

From random article from the interwebz:

Even liberals who've accomplished a lot in their lives and have high IQs often say things on a regular basis that are stunningly, profoundly stupid and at odds with the way the world works. Modern liberalism has become so bereft of common sense and instinctually suicidal that America can only survive over the long haul by thwarting the liberal agenda. In fact, liberalism has become such a toxic and poisonous philosophy that most liberals wouldn't behave differently if their goal were to deliberately destroy the country. So, how does liberalism cause well-meaning, intelligent liberals to get this way? Well, it starts with...

1) Liberalism creates a feedback loop. It is usually impossible for a non-liberal to change a liberal's mind about political issues because liberalism works like so: only liberals are credible sources of information. How do you know someone's liberal? He espouses liberal doctrine. So, no matter how plausible what you say may be, it will be ignored if you're not a liberal and if you are a liberal, of course, you probably agree with liberal views. This sort of close-mindedness makes liberals nearly impervious to any information that might undermine their beliefs.

2) Liberals sources of information are ever present. Conservatives are regularly exposed to the liberal viewpoint whether they want to be or not. That's not necessarily so for liberals. Imagine the average day for liberals. They get up and read their local newspaper. It has a liberal viewpoint. They take their kids to school, where the teachers are liberal. Then they go to work, listen to NPR which has a liberal viewpoint on the way home, and then turn on the nightly news which also skews leftward. From there, they turn on TV and watch shows created by liberals that lean to the left, if they have any political viewpoint at all. Unless liberals actively seek out conservative viewpoints, which is unlikely, the only conservative arguments they're probably going to hear are going to be through the heavily distorted, poorly translated, deeply skeptical lens of other liberals.

3) Liberals emphasize feeling superior, not superior results. Liberalism is all about appearances, not outcomes. What matters to liberals is how a program makes them FEEL about themselves, not whether it works or not. Thus a program like Headstart, which sounds good because it's designed to help children read, makes liberals feel good about themselves, even though the program doesn't work and wastes billions. A ban on DDT makes liberals feel good about themselves because they're "protecting the environment" even though millions of people have died as a result. For liberals, it's not what a program does in the real world; it's about whether they feel better about themselves for supporting it.

4) Liberals are big believers in moral relativism. This spins them round and round because if the only thing that's wrong is saying that there's an absolute moral code, then you lose your ability to tell cause from effect, good from bad, and right from wrong. Taking being non-judgmental to the level that liberals do leaves them paralyzed, pondering "why they hate us" because they feel incapable of saying, "That's wrong," and doing something about it. If you're against firm standards and condemning immoral behavior, then your moral compass won't work and you'll also be for immorality, as well as societal and cultural decay by default.

5) Liberals tend to view people as parts of groups, not individuals. One of the prejudices of liberalism is that they see everyone as part of a group, not as an individual. This can lead to rather bizarre disparities when say, a man from a group that they consider to be powerless, impoverished victims becomes the leader of the free world -- and he's challenged by a group of lower middle class white people who've banded together because individually they're powerless. If you listen to the liberal rhetoric, you might think Barack Obama was a black Republican being surrounded by a KKK lynching party 100 years ago -- as opposed to the single most powerful man in America abusing the authority of his office to attack ordinary Tea Partiers who have the audacity to speak the truth to power for the good of their country.

6) Liberals take a dim view of personal responsibility. Who's at fault if a criminal commits a crime? The criminal or society? If someone creates a business and becomes a millionaire, is that the result of hard work and talent or luck? If you're dirt poor, starving, and haven't worked in 5 years, is that a personal failing or a failure of the state? Conservatives would tend to say the former in each case, while liberals would tend to say the latter. But when you disconnect what an individual does from the results that happen in his life, it's very difficult to understand cause and effect in people's lives.

7) Liberals give themselves far too much credit just for being liberal. To many liberals, all one needs to do to be wise, intelligent, compassionate, open minded, and sensitive is to BE LIBERAL. In other words, many of the good things about a person spring not from his actions, but from the ideology he holds. This has an obvious appeal. You can be a diehard misogynist, but plausibly call yourself a feminist, hate blacks, but accuse others of racism, have a subpar IQ and be an intellectual, give nothing to charity and be compassionate, etc., etc., and all you have to do is call yourself a liberal. It's a shortcut to virtue much like the corrupt old idea of religious indulgences. Why live a life of virtue when you could live a sinful life and buy your way into heaven? If you're a liberal, why actually live a life of virtue when you can merely call yourself a liberal and get credit for being virtuous, even when you've done nothing to earn it?

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

I don't know.....I think those ideas are taught. Nonetheless....no worries....I don't believe any of the above.LJS9502_basic

True - ideas are indeed taught. The diffilculty is shifting an idea once it becomes installed as a belief and forms a componant of what we perceive - and define - as self. Trying to change an integral component of anothers personality is incredibly difficult - the mind will defend itself from incongruent viewpoints in the same way the body defends itself from infectious deseases.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tenaka2

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]Correlation doesn't equate to causation. SirWander

true, but it's a neat coincidence.

It seems pretty obvious, study aside.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
I dont agree wt TC.... totally dont agree
BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
Yeah that sounds about right.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
No surprise there...
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't know.....I think those ideas are taught. Nonetheless....no worries....I don't believe any of the above.tenaka2

No one would think you would accept any of the above, your posting indicates that you qualify at least partially for most of the above.

fkin lol
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
Correlation does not imply causation. Though im not going to deny there is still truth to it and we should just dismiss it.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

I think the low IQ of the parents is what instills the prejudice into the minds of children. Same with homophobia. That conservatism one though is strange, as most studies find that its the rich that are conservative, and while rich people can most certainly have a low IQ, its usually those who have a lower IQ who are most open to change because they are usually at the bottom of a social hierarchy, where smart people and/or people with money, use social hierarchies to their advantage. From what I've seen though, definitely in the case of homophobia and conservatism. Its people with strict religious beliefs (namely christian) who tend to be the most conservative and/or homophobic in any given society. I don't mean to imply they have a low IQ though.Fire_Emblem_RD

Last time I checked, rich individuals were more likely to be fiscally conservative, not socially conservative. This study found no correlation between IQ and fiscal conservatism.

Anyway this study may or may not be biased, but I'm not inclined to disagree with its conclusion because just nearly every social conservative viewpoint I've heard of has some bizarrely silly arguments behind it.

StRaItJaCkEt36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StRaItJaCkEt36
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts

Tenaka, are you sure the study wasn't talking about people like you?

You're coming across with a bit of prejudice in this thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I saw that being reported on the daily mail and laughed my head off. So much irony.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tenaka2

Tenaka, are you sure the study wasn't talking about people like you?

You're coming across with a bit of prejudice in this thread.

StRaItJaCkEt36

I didnt mean to come across as prejudiced, but I am neither a homophobe or a conservative.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

As a former conservative now seeing the light I can understand this article many conservatives would jump if Rush told them to. Science is often ignored by many conservatives as well

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

The troll topics on this board have really reached an all-time low.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
conservatism is stupid
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I've always been saying that all these prejudiced anti-american threads were dumb. Now I have the proof.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I think that was common knowledge, but its good to know that racists and h0mophobes are now scientifically proven to be stupid.

Though not all conservatives are stupid (depending on what/how they are conservative on) but I guess if you buy into that "Forrest Gump was conservative, Jenny was liberal" stuff then its kind of a hilarious little detail in the movie.

EDIT: Reading through this thread a bit more, it was debunked? Well whatever, I am out of here because this thread looks like its derailing.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Even if this article is true, I've known some incredibly intelligent conservatives in my life.

The unfortunate implication that the article hints at is this: "If you're a conservative, you have low IQ."

And that simply is not true. There are many brilliant minds in our society who swear by the Tea Party 100%.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

conservatism is stupidZumaJones07

Fiscal conservatism is pretty smart, actually.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
Member since 2009 • 4084 Posts

Yeah, I'm gonna have to push the button on this one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Even if this article is true, I've known some incredibly intelligent conservatives in my life.

The unfortunate implication that the article hints at is this: "If you're a conservative, you have low IQ."

And that simply is not true. There are many brilliant minds in our society who swear by the Tea Party 100%.

peterw007

It's OT. What else were you expecting?

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

yeah i mean what do scientists know anyways?

aprioristic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 aprioristic
Member since 2012 • 41 Posts
The conditions of intelligence have been defined by scientfic consensus, however it does not appear to be of natural science, it appears to be of social/normative science, meaning there is normative assumptions, furthermore I am not certain of the reductionalism that is applied in this case. My official intelligent quotient was measured by performence and verbal concepts.
Correlation doesn't equate to causation. th3warr1or
Excellent, you have refuted fallicious assumptions. Statistical facts (empirical facts) does not cogent correlations or normative assumptions, such as this how 'intelligence' ought to be defined. There is no logical basis in this case, hence a logical fallacy (infomal spectrum).
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I say blame the education system. Since the bottom line is being taught, the bottom line is going to be absorbed.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I say blame the education system. Since the bottom line is being taught, the bottom line is going to be absorbed.foxhound_fox

Indeed. This goes back to Rick Santorum's suggestion that colleges are "liberal indoctrination centers". So learning new subject and hearing new ideas makes you liberal? No, it just makes you more able to detect bullsh*t, which Rick Santorum and his ilk are swimming in.

And look who won three primaries last night?

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

And look who won three primaries last night?

jimkabrhel
Meh, they were just caucases. It was a tad surprising still.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Meh, they were just caucases. It was a tad surprising still.Engrish_Major

They'll be rather meaningless in the long run. Romney is still going to be the nomination.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Meh, they were just caucases. It was a tad surprising still.airshocker

They'll be rather meaningless in the long run. Romney is still going to be the nomination.

Right. This just means, though, that we'll have Santorum around for a little bit longer, along with the corresponding lulz, so it's fine with me :P
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

Planet_Pluto

Quoted for truth. I notice how liberals have this herd mentality. That explains a lot, I will keep this thread in my bookmark. I like how the TC is actually being a bigot. So I guess the article applies to him. If anything if liberals have higher IQs, isnt it more because all the information favors the way they think, so they may display it more fluently? Just how when studies show the blacks have lower IQs, they say "but everything favors the way white people think." Hmmmmmm, hmmmmm. You know, I think I was pretty stupid in High School, something about being taught liberal ideas the whole time... Now I know why I had a lower IQ back then! There might be some truth to the article, but it can easily be applied to liberals as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Right. This just means, though, that we'll have Santorum around for a little bit longer, along with the corresponding lulz, so it's fine with me :PEngrish_Major

If he wasn't such a dunderhead I'd probably support him, too.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]conservatism is stupidairshocker

Fiscal conservatism is pretty smart, actually.

Fiscal conservatism is, but I think Zuma's talking about social conservatism. In which case I agree with him.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Meh, they were just caucases. It was a tad surprising still.airshocker

Not just the nominee, but the nomination itself. :P [spoiler] I know it's a typo I'm just messin' with ya :P [/spoiler]
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Science: 1

Conservatives: 0

3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#48 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
If you live in the south, those beliefs are taught. My dad is has one of the highest percentile IQ's and he's conservative...I just don't buy it.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tenaka2

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

mahlasor

Quoted for truth. I notice how liberals have this herd mentality. That explains a lot, I will keep this thread in my bookmark. I like how the TC is actually being a bigot. So I guess the article applies to him. If anything if liberals have higher IQs, isnt it more because all the information favors the way they think, so they may display it more fluently? Just how when studies show the blacks have lower IQs, they say "but everything favors the way white people think." Hmmmmmm, hmmmmm. You know, I think I was pretty stupid in High School, something about being taught liberal ideas the whole time... Now I know why I had a lower IQ back then! There might be some truth to the article, but it can easily be applied to liberals as well.

How am I being a bigot exactly?

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

A bigot is someone who is intolerant of any creed, belief, or opinion. Since you are a liberal and apparently hyper intelligent, you should be able to think this out with out my help. o_0 Except you probably think being a bigot just means not loving homosexuals 100 percent. Do not play dumb please.

edit: wait, this is ironic, the article can be applied to you. The article says there is no point in trying to reason with you.