Lets talk about Syria...

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

If our whole point of attacking Syria is to punish Assad for using chemical weapons on his people(Obama has called any action we take against Syria to be a punitive measure), are we then okay with allowing him to kill his own people in other ways? Isn't that hypocritical? "Well, we're okay that you kill your people, so long as you don't do it with chemical weapons!"

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
Syria is not about chemical weapons, its about Russia, China, Iran and future/current pipelines.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Syria is not about chemical weapons, its about Russia, China, Iran and future/current pipelines. eggdog1234

That's not the point. Isn't it hypocritcal to attack a country under the pretense that we're punishing them for using chemical weapons on their people instead of attacking them simply because they're murdering their people? What is a cruise missile strike going to do to STOP Assad from killing his people?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Chemical weapons are a more cruel way to kill people (I guess), but I see your point.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

It's not hypocritical because Obama is not Bush where as Bush is definitely nothing like Obama. Obama is the man!

But seriously, yes I think it's hypocritical. One nation kills thousands through conventional means and no one bats an eye but use chemical weapons and the whole world goes apeshit.

However, we can't go to war against all nations that do harm to their people but we can pick and choose. I guess that's why Syria is our number one target right now.

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
Of course its hypocritical.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

If our whole point of attacking Syria is to punish Assad for using chemical weapons on his people(Obama has called any action we take against Syria to be a punitive measure), are we then okay with allowing him to kill his own people in other ways? Isn't that hypocritical? "Well, we're okay that you kill your people, so long as you don't do it with chemical weapons!"

airshocker
That's because there's a larger proxy war between the United States and the EU against Russia and China. The use of chemical weapons are malicious when it comes to war as they're not classified as conventional warfare. A chemical weapon is indiscriminately dispersed throughout an area that kill people without discrimination have no designed targets. With that being said, chemical weapons gives the Obama administration an excuse to fire at Syria and bypass the proxy war with Russia.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

airshocker
Well not using chemical weapons is a longstanding norm. If Assad used nukes or biological weapons we would also do something ... Chemical weapons are bad because they aren't really effective militarily they are best at killing civilians.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
Yeah, it is a bit hypocritical, but I think Obama drew this red line with chemical weapons so that we could condemn Assad while at the same time doing nothing because I think they thought the threat of US intervention would be enough. Now we sort of have egg on our face and are put in a ridiculous position where we have to act unilaterally or be called weak.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Chemical weapons are a more cruel way to kill people (I guess), but I see your point. JML897
actually it is less cruel than causing massive physical trauma to someone then it possibly taking hours to die from shock and blood loss.

i will never get how gassing people to death in a few mins are the immoral way to kill people while blowing them up is fine.

sure it is a bit indiscriminate and you can kill civilians but you do that anyway with bombs.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

No, it is not hypocritical because there are well known and understood conventions prohibiting the use of chemical weapons. This isn't just about a cruel dictator killing his own people. If you do not stand up to the use of these weapons then you invite people to continue to use them. And if you do that, you invite something far more horrible than killing people with conventional weapons. That is why we have conventions against their use in the first place.

xmanfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xmanfan91
Member since 2012 • 481 Posts

Chemical weapons are BAD because it harms the whole enviroment the same way a post nuclear attack does. It does not only effect the people but water, food, soil, air,etc.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
Syria is not about chemical weapons, its about Russia, China, Iran and future/current pipelines. eggdog1234
And the petro-dollar. Anyone who thinks that the possible intervention is about chemical weapons, contact me. I have a great deal on a bridge we should really discuss.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

[QUOTE="eggdog1234"]Syria is not about chemical weapons, its about Russia, China, Iran and future/current pipelines. Rhazakna
And the petro-dollar. Anyone who thinks that the possible intervention is about chemical weapons, contact me. I have a great deal on a bridge we should really discuss.

Drown me in knowledge then. I like to hear more about the Syrian conflict from different perspectives.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
Not much to talk about.. yes it is hypocritical. All politicians are hypocrites.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
i agree with Airshocker... end times are upon us....... Anyways, most people who disagree with you are going to say that there is something extra dangerous about chemical weapon use and that the punishment for Assad isnt about him killing his people, its about sending a message to the world that chemical weapons are a no no
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

airshocker

let's not forget the fact a few years back when we were friends with iraq we helped them use chemical attacks on iranians.  That's the big hypocracy.  That, and the fact the UN inspectors who studied the recent chemical attack said retaliation would cause more harm

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#19 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts
Seems like now he waits for OK from the congress to attack. That means attack could be a week + now if at any at all.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I vote for giving Assad permission to kill as many of his people he wants. When he kills enough of them, maybe Syria can be nice again and we all live together in peace.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

airshocker
Well I partially agree, kind of torn I guess, on the distinction on which people are killed. I guess the best argument I've seen is that chemical weapons tend to kill civilians dis proportionally due to how they operate and are used. If the US, or any other nation as well, doesn't do anything it might set a precedent that despots can get away with using such weapons in the future. With that being said, I still don't want the US to act unilaterally. If we end up doing anything we can't go it alone. There isn't a 'win' scenario about staying out or intervening. Its clear that Assad needs to go however there will be no end in sight until Russia ends their support.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BossPerson
Seems like now he waits for OK from the congress to attack. That means attack could be a week + now if at any at all.Hiddai
but apparently, he's still "made his decision" ?
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="Hiddai"]Seems like now he waits for OK from the congress to attack. That means attack could be a week + now if at any at all.BossPerson
but apparently, he's still "made his decision" ?

No man is an island
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

The point of attacking Syria is to weaken Iran and Russia's influence in the Middle East, considering the unconditional support for the rebels that might end up as bad or worse than Assad.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#25 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

The United States won't go in because of chemical weapons,but mainly because of money and control of Syria's gov'nt.It's just coverd up more.I think if the U.S. was to go in,they would get their asses kicked.The British and Canadians won't support terrorists cause to take down the Syrian gov'nt,but the Americans would.The same terrorists that the Americans and allied world have been fighting for decades.The U.S.A. would just love a third world war,that would be the only thing to get the U.S. out of their economy.I could say alot more,but don't get me started.Fvcking Americans.:evil:.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
Posts ITT are just brutal
SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

Are people here seriously supporting these Al-Qaeda terrorists (FSA scumbags) and the muslim brotherhood?

These people are nothing, butt Sunni terrorists trying to eliminate an Alawhite leader. Rebels are using chemical weapons to harm innocent civilians, but are blaming the Assad regime for the mess. 

xmanfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xmanfan91
Member since 2012 • 481 Posts

Obama backs off imminent military action against Syria

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/08/31/syria-crisis-usa-idINDEE97U05T20130831

It seems the American people DO NOT want anything to do with Syria. Most Americans voted against an intervention of Syria. 

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Obama backs off imminent military action against Syria

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/08/31/syria-crisis-usa-idINDEE97U05T20130831

It seems the American people DO NOT want anything to do with Syria. Most Americans voted against an intervention of Syria. 

EYE-OF-HORUS999
To be fair, they also voted for Obama. Twice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Are people here seriously supporting these Al-Qaeda terrorists (FSA scumbags) and the muslim brotherhood?

These people are nothing, butt Sunni terrorists trying to eliminate an Alawhite leader. Rebels are using chemical weapons to harm innocent civilians, but are blaming the Assad regime for the mess. 

SwagSurf
The FSA are not the extremists. Anyways our lack of action is what led to some many extremist groups becoming so powerful in Syria. Also lol about the false flag shit.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BossPerson
[QUOTE="SwagSurf"]

Person0
The FSA are not the extremists. Anyways our lack of action is what led to some many extremist groups becoming so powerful in Syria. Also lol about the false flag shit.

^^^
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I do consider it hypocritical wheh considering the underpinnings of WHY we do not permit the use of chemical warfare. In this instance (Assad's games), the distinction is pretty arbitrary.

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

Are we getting the evidence of Assad's chemical attacks from the same source as we got the "intelligence" of Iraq's stockpiles of chemical weapons?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Are we getting the evidence of Assad's chemical attacks from the same source as we got the "intelligence" of Iraq's stockpiles of chemical weapons?

OrkHammer007
Because Iraq and Syria are comparable...oh wait no they aren't.
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

Person0

Funny... because in both cases, it looks like a sitting president is looking for an excuse to engage in military intervention. So, instead of being an asshole, try answering the question.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

OrkHammer007

Funny... because in both cases, it looks like a sitting president is looking for an excuse to engage in military intervention. So, instead of being an asshole, try answering the question.

Wow some general things are sorta similar totally means its the same situation again! Anyways the answer is no.
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

This seems appropriate (from another thread)

6 part comic satirizing US public selective outrage about the atrocities that have been ocurring in Syria.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Well, it's not necessarily hypocritical if there's an underlying motive for deterring the use of chemical weapons. It is hypocritical from a motive of savings lives.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="eggdog1234"]Syria is not about chemical weapons, its about Russia, China, Iran and future/current pipelines. leviathan91

Drown me in knowledge then. I like to hear more about the Syrian conflict from different perspectives.

War with Iran is off the table, so Syria became the new target as a proxy. I first heard about plans to go after Syria years ago (way before the beggining of the Civil War in 2011), and it's all unfolded quite close to how people said it would. The petro-dollar is one of the few things keeping the US economy afloat. Make no mistake, if the petro-dollar falls or is even altered too much, the American economy will not recover. Various Mid East states like Iran have been trying to get out from under the dominance of the PD for a long time now-that's one of the main reasons Iran is seen as such an enemy to the West. Invading Syria puts a ton of pressure on Iran, and secures an oil pipeline that will make sure the PD is maintained. It's also a strong move to show dominance against Russia and China, they might even both get involved. It's a huge clusterf*ck, and anyone who thinks this is over chemical weapons hasn't been paying attention to what's been happening between the US and Iran, or what special interests have been involved with American foreign policy, or the situation with the petro-dollar. Anyone who says the PD has nothing to do with this simply isn't aware of the situation that's been unfolding over the last many years in the Middle East.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BossPerson
[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"] And the petro-dollar. Anyone who thinks that the possible intervention is about chemical weapons, contact me. I have a great deal on a bridge we should really discuss.Rhazakna

War with Iran is off the table, so Syria became the new target as a proxy. I first heard about plans to go after Syria years ago (way before the beggining of the Civil War in 2011), and it's all unfolded quite close to how people said it would. The petro-dollar is one of the few things keeping the US economy afloat. Make no mistake, if the petro-dollar falls or is even altered too much, the American economy will not recover. Various Mid East states like Iran have been trying to get out from under the dominance of the PD for a long time now-that's one of the main reasons Iran is seen as such an enemy to the West. Invading Syria puts a ton of pressure on Iran, and secures an oil pipeline that will make sure the PD is maintained. It's also a strong move to show dominance against Russia and China, they might even both get involved. It's a huge clusterf*ck, and anyone who thinks this is over chemical weapons hasn't been paying attention to what's been happening between the US and Iran, or what special interests have been involved with American foreign policy, or the situation with the petro-dollar. Anyone who says the PD has nothing to do with this simply isn't aware of the situation that's been unfolding over the last many years in the Middle East.

So were the protests in march 2011 also fabricated?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

So were the protests in march 2011 also fabricated? BossPerson
That's not what he meant. He's saying that this civil war has essentially created a perfect storm and a legit reason to go to war with Syria.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BossPerson
If Obama puts more than 100 US soldiers on the ground in Syria I will give Rhazanka 100 dollars.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"] And the petro-dollar. Anyone who thinks that the possible intervention is about chemical weapons, contact me. I have a great deal on a bridge we should really discuss.Rhazakna

So then why are most sources saying any strike would be relatively small and more punitive then anything? Also how would helping the rebels win and having violence there for the foreseeable future help with any type of pipeline construction (especially since a large percentage of the rebels hate the U.S)
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rhazakna
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="leviathan91"]

BossPerson

How did you get that? I didn't say anything was fabricated. Syria has a brutal and awful government, and Assad is a vile thug, no doubt. The protests are legit, though I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Western governments have been aiding certain rebel groups. The US is using the legitimately f*cked up situation in Syria to their advantage to secure the pipeline and maintain the petro-dollar. Any analysis of US foreign policy in the MidEast that ignores the PD is only telling half the story-at the very best.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

To be quite honest, I don't want civilians to die at all. Makes no difference to me whether chemical weapons are/aren't used.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"] War with Iran is off the table, so Syria became the new target as a proxy. I first heard about plans to go after Syria years ago (way before the beggining of the Civil War in 2011), and it's all unfolded quite close to how people said it would. The petro-dollar is one of the few things keeping the US economy afloat. Make no mistake, if the petro-dollar falls or is even altered too much, the American economy will not recover. Various Mid East states like Iran have been trying to get out from under the dominance of the PD for a long time now-that's one of the main reasons Iran is seen as such an enemy to the West. Invading Syria puts a ton of pressure on Iran, and secures an oil pipeline that will make sure the PD is maintained. It's also a strong move to show dominance against Russia and China, they might even both get involved. It's a huge clusterf*ck, and anyone who thinks this is over chemical weapons hasn't been paying attention to what's been happening between the US and Iran, or what special interests have been involved with American foreign policy, or the situation with the petro-dollar. Anyone who says the PD has nothing to do with this simply isn't aware of the situation that's been unfolding over the last many years in the Middle East.

How did you get that? I didn't say anything was fabricated. Syria has a brutal and awful government, and Assad is a vile thug, no doubt. The protests are legit, though I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Western governments have been aiding certain rebel groups. The US is using the legitimately f*cked up situation in Syria to their advantage to secure the pipeline and maintain the petro-dollar. Any analysis of US foreign policy in the MidEast that ignores the PD is only telling half the story-at the very best.

Are your petro-dollar claims supported by evidence, or are they just speculation?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

To be quite honest, I don't want civilians to die at all. Makes no difference to me whether chemical weapons are/aren't used.

airshocker
I don't think anyone wants to see civilians die, the problem with chemical weapons is the proliferation of them would lead to many more civilians deaths faster then conventional weapons.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Rhazakna
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="leviathan91"]

Person0

So then why are most sources saying any strike would be relatively small and more punitive then anything? Also how would helping the rebels win and having violence there for the foreseeable future help with any type of pipeline construction (especially since a large percentage of the rebels hate the U.S)

You can't know what the strike will be until it happens. Military presence by the US, China and Russia in surrounding areas has been steadily increasing over the last couple years, so I'd be skeptical of anybody saying the strike will be minimal. If Russia and China get involved (as they have said they will), it won't be any small strike. If it is, installing and maintaining a rebel government with strikes, covert ops and aid is probably the most likely course of action. It's not about building a new pipeline necessarily, it's about controlling the flow of oil to Iran, China and Russia (three States that want to buck the petro-dollar... what a coincidence!). Look into what Assad has been doing with Syria's oil infrastructure over the past several years, it's caused Saudi Arabia no small amount of grief. A Syria without Assad will be much more amenable to Saudi Arabia.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"] War with Iran is off the table, so Syria became the new target as a proxy. I first heard about plans to go after Syria years ago (way before the beggining of the Civil War in 2011), and it's all unfolded quite close to how people said it would. The petro-dollar is one of the few things keeping the US economy afloat. Make no mistake, if the petro-dollar falls or is even altered too much, the American economy will not recover. Various Mid East states like Iran have been trying to get out from under the dominance of the PD for a long time now-that's one of the main reasons Iran is seen as such an enemy to the West. Invading Syria puts a ton of pressure on Iran, and secures an oil pipeline that will make sure the PD is maintained. It's also a strong move to show dominance against Russia and China, they might even both get involved. It's a huge clusterf*ck, and anyone who thinks this is over chemical weapons hasn't been paying attention to what's been happening between the US and Iran, or what special interests have been involved with American foreign policy, or the situation with the petro-dollar. Anyone who says the PD has nothing to do with this simply isn't aware of the situation that's been unfolding over the last many years in the Middle East. Rhazakna

You can't know what the strike will be until it happens. Military presence by the US, China and Russia in surrounding areas has been steadily increasing over the last couple years, so I'd be skeptical of anybody saying the strike will be minimal. If Russia and China get involved (as they have said they will), it won't be any small strike. If it is, installing and maintaining a rebel government with strikes, covert ops and aid is probably the most likely course of action. It's not about building a new pipeline necessarily, it's about controlling the flow of oil to Iran, China and Russia (three States that want to buck the petro-dollar... what a coincidence!). Look into what Assad has been doing with Syria's oil infrastructure over the past several years, it's caused Saudi Arabia no small amount of grief. A Syria without Assad will be much more amenable to Saudi Arabia.

We can get an idea of what the strike will be from leaks. china and russia wouldn't do anything over syria, its just posturing. we already give aid to the rebels. Russia is more worried about its naval base, china is more worried about setting a precedent of intervention and iran is more worried about losing influence. none of their main goals are about the petrobuck. well saudi arabia has been one of the biggest rebel supporters and they would love to expand their influence and reduce irans due to their religious differences, but that doesn't relate to the petro buck.