Let's boil it down to who hates and who loves Avatar.

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

joehandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 joehandel
Member since 2006 • 550 Posts

Reading the threads regarding Avatar, I can't believe the hate I'm seeing for this movie. It's insane. I'll reserve my opinions, but I do think it's a tad ridiculous. It's not like it's Matrix Revolutions. Yet it's treated like it. The majority of posts I see are negative towards Avatar so this is just to see who hates and who loves it, and who's in between the two.

Dman0017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dman0017
Member since 2007 • 4640 Posts

i hate avatar . . . . threads :x

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

This thread called for it.

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Chose the second option. Nowhere near hating it, or loving it.
black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

I liked it. I wouldn't exactly call it an "amazing effin' movie", but that poll choice sums up my general sentiment towards it nicely, so I'll go with that.

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

I guess I'm one of the few who still haven't seen it. >__>

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I enjoyed it and wouldn't mind it in my movie collection. However, I'm not flipping out about how good it is. I thought it was well done but it did seem to have somewhat of an agenda behind it (which can be a good or bad thing depending upon your political views).
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Niff_T

I haven't seen it either. If people are going to get themselves so twisted up over it I'm not going to bother.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#9 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Niff_T

Same here. It seems like every other person on GS has seen it...

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Horribly cliched, and had insufficient positive factors to allow me not to notice. All the pretty graphics in the world could not hide the fact that, for me, the movie had absolutely no soul whatsoever. By the end, I was feeling almost no emotion whatsoever, except for annoyance on a meta-level towards the movie itself.

ariz3260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ariz3260
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts

In terms of graphics the effects are definitely top of the line, but the plot line is average at best. I'm ok with the movie, but seeing it once is enough for me

Benevolentbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 97

#12 Benevolentbob
Member since 2007 • 1178 Posts

Reading the threads regarding Avatar, I can't believe the hate I'm seeing for this movie. It's insane. I'll reserve my opinions, but I do think it's a tad ridiculous. It's not like it's Matrix Revolutions. Yet it's treated like it. The majority of posts I see are negative towards Avatar so this is just to see who hates and who loves it, and who's in between the two.

joehandel
It was alright.
TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts

I really enjoyed it.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

This thread called for it.

sammyjenkis898

That is so scarily accurate to the movie :lol:

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
I haven't seen it and I don't care to.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

I thought it was pretty good, not great but still worth seeing. I would give it a solid 7.5. I didn't find the characters very interesting, and some of it seem a bit underdeveloped. It was also very one dimensional.

Bedizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bedizen
Member since 2009 • 2576 Posts

I haven't seen it yet - one day I will

MasterC5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MasterC5
Member since 2006 • 2932 Posts

I hate it

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

I admit it. I loved it. I don't care that the story and characters were typical. I thought it was very entertaining and the world that Cameron made really drew me in.

*puts of flame shield*

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

[QUOTE="Niff_T"]

THE_DRUGGIE

I haven't seen it either.Can't be bothered.
Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

He made a rich fantasy world and that was all I needed, sure I didn't really feel attached to any of the characters but he made a good world. I really liked it and would go see it again. Even if the plot was cliche, its still a good story line.

Mr_Manikin52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mr_Manikin52
Member since 2004 • 12300 Posts

I love that sexy Michelle Rodiguez. :oops:

Jaks_Secret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaks_Secret
Member since 2006 • 9003 Posts
When I saw it, I thought it was below average. Not good, but not particularly terrible. The hype and constant discussion about it, however, it making me hate it.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Film-Guy

Mr_Manikin52

She was pretty good in it, but I have noticed she tends to play that character in most movies I see her in.

joehandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 joehandel

I admit it. I loved it. I don't care that the story and characters were typical. I thought it was very entertaining and the world that Cameron made really drew me in.

*puts of flame shield*

cd_rom

You and I are of the same opinion then. Since I've never seen Pocahontas or Dancing With Wolves, two movies that are frequently brought up when criticizing Avatar, there was nothing in it that felt terribly rehashed to me. What made the strongest impression on me though was Pandora. Every scene felt alive and I genuinely felt like I was there, and it was bitter sweet going to bed that night knowing that after this movie stops showing in theaters, I won't be able to see it in 3D again until some long time down the road, when I might have saved up some money for a 3D capable tv.

The lovable characters certainly helped too :P

joehandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 joehandel

[QUOTE="Mr_Manikin52"]

Film-Guy

She was pretty good in it, but I have noticed she tends to play that character in most movies I see her in.

It's not her fault if she's chosen for characters written previous to being casted.

But yeah, notice how in most roles she plays, she dies some time too :P

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cd_rom

[QUOTE="Mr_Manikin52"]

Film-Guy

She's pretty much been type-casted. This was probably her least "Michelle Rodriguez" type role in that she smiled on more than one occasion.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I thought it was great.
Jaks_Secret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jaks_Secret
>She was pretty good in it, but I have noticed she tends to play that character in most movies I see her in.Film-Guy
She and the Colonel were the only characters with personality in the film, which is why I dug her. [spoiler] And, of course, she died. [/spoiler]
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
great film
Mousetaches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mousetaches
Member since 2009 • 1293 Posts

Horribly cliched, and had insufficient positive factors to allow me not to notice. All the pretty graphics in the world could not hide the fact that, for me, the movie had absolutely no soul whatsoever. By the end, I was feeling almost no emotion whatsoever, except for annoyance on a meta-level towards the movie itself.

GabuEx
GabuEx, can we get married?
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]>She was pretty good in it, but I have noticed she tends to play that character in most movies I see her in.Jaks_Secret
She and the Colonel were the only characters with personality in the film, which is why I dug her. [spoiler] And, of course, she died. [/spoiler]

I actually liked Grace, though that is less to do with her character and more to do with Sigourney Weaver being a fantastic actress.

Jaks_Secret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jaks_Secret
I actually liked Grace, though that is less to do with her character and more to do with Sigourney Weaver being a fantastic actress.Film-Guy
Sigourney Weaver is indeed fantastic, but her character, much like almost every other in the movie, was stale and uninspired.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]I actually liked Grace, though that is less to do with her character and more to do with Sigourney Weaver being a fantastic actress.Jaks_Secret
Sigourney Weaver is indeed fantastic, but her character, much like almost every other in the movie, was stale and uninspired.

Yeah her character was not that interesting, it was definetly her that made the character worth watching. I think Norm could have been an interesting character, but he was ridiculously underdeveloped.

Jaks_Secret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jaks_Secret
Yeah her character was not that interesting, it was definetly her that made the character worth watching. I think Norm could have been an interesting character, but he was ridiculously underdeveloped.Film-Guy
I absolutely despised how they handled Norm. Every time Jake gets further into the Na'vi culture, they show Norm looking ridiculously jealous, and then suddenly he's completely cool with him as if it never happened.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="Niff_T"]

Lto_thaG

Its good to know I'm not alone in this but I guess I have a different reason for not watching it: the marketing campaign. The amount of marketing and hype shoved down my throat turned me off of the movie entirely (a personality quirk on my part).

But I might see it when it comes to HBO but I'd most likely lose the meager amount of interest I have left for it by the time it premiers...

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

THE_DRUGGIE

Its good to know I'm not alone in this but I guess I have a different reason for not watching it: the marketing campaign. The amount of marketing and hype shoved down my throat turned me off of the movie entirely (a personality quirk on my part).

But I might see it when it comes to HBO but I'd most likely lose the meager amount of interest I have left for it by the time it premiers...

Ah yeah.Definitely.That also plays a role.Everyone going on about it. If I want to see,I'll check it out.No point in going to watch it because people told you to.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]Yeah her character was not that interesting, it was definetly her that made the character worth watching. I think Norm could have been an interesting character, but he was ridiculously underdeveloped.Jaks_Secret
I absolutely despised how they handled Norm. Every time Jake gets further into the Na'vi culture, they show Norm looking ridiculously jealous, and then suddenly he's completely cool with him as if it never happened.

Yeah its a shame he was done so poorly, I think he had great potential as a character. He was much more interesting in the original script. It was tough to give a crap about his character when he was so uninteresting.

TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts

*puts of flame shield*

cd_rom

There's no reason to get flamed for that. Why do people care that someone enjoys a movie?

Jaks_Secret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jaks_Secret
Yeah its a shame he was done so poorly, I think he had great potential as a character. He was much more interesting in the original script. It was tough to give a crap about his character when he was so uninteresting.Film-Guy
I believed I've mentioned it on these forums before, but I also really hated the executive of the entire project. [spoiler] When the Great Tree is destroyed, he has a look on his face as if he's realizing that he has destroyed something beautiful and has a change of heart, and then goes right back to his previous character. [/spoiler]
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 super_mario_128

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]>She was pretty good in it, but I have noticed she tends to play that character in most movies I see her in.Jaks_Secret

[spoiler] I was actually quite upset when she died. Perhaps the only part in the movie which evoked some emotion from me. And it was handled so poorly aswell - just poof: gone - and perhaps that's why it got to me. In fact, that entire scene where all the good characters started to die during the fight scene was quite evocative, despite it being insanely cliche. [/spoiler]

peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 peaceoutmedusa
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts

Avatar was a very good film, dont get me wrong, but the story was very predictable.

I think that Avatar 2 (which he stated he would do) will be a lot better and really be a masterpiece.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cd_rom
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]Yeah its a shame he was done so poorly, I think he had great potential as a character. He was much more interesting in the original script. It was tough to give a crap about his character when he was so uninteresting.Jaks_Secret
I believed I've mentioned it on these forums before, but I also really hated the executive of the entire project. [spoiler] When the Great Tree is destroyed, he has a look on his face as if he's realizing that he has destroyed something beautiful and has a change of heart, and then goes right back to his previous character. [/spoiler]

I think that was the point. He knew what he was doing was wrong, but his job was more important to him than the Na'vi or even Pandora.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]Yeah its a shame he was done so poorly, I think he had great potential as a character. He was much more interesting in the original script. It was tough to give a crap about his character when he was so uninteresting.Jaks_Secret

It seems like the film wanted him to have a change of heart, but then forgot about it later on. Or he maybe he was hiding his real emotions because he thought his job was more important or something like that. He was another character who had potential, but then wasn't very interesting in the end.

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 super_mario_128
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

It seems like the film wanted him to have a change of heart, but then forgot about it later on. He was another character who had potential, but then wasn't very interesting in the end.

I thought he was ridiculous. The scene where Grace explains that the trees on the planet are a sort of network of information, and he replies, "What the hell have you been smoking?" just made me sigh. It felt so deliberate and unrealistic.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"] I haven't seen it either.Can't be bothered.Lto_thaG

Ah yeah.Definitely.That also plays a role.Everyone going on about it. If I want to see,I'll check it out.No point in going to watch it because people told you to.

Yup, a slight reccomendation from a buddy is alright but hearing someone blurt and gush about something excessively is too much. The commercials are a pretty good example since there were plenty of instances I can remember when there were 3 or more advertisements for it in a row, sometimes repeating the same exact commercial twice.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

It seems like the film wanted him to have a change of heart, but then forgot about it later on. He was another character who had potential, but then wasn't very interesting in the end.

super_mario_128

I thought he was ridiculous. The scene where Grace explains that the trees on the planet are a sort of network of information, and he replies, "What the hell have you been smoking?" just made me sigh. It felt so deliberate and unrealistic.

Well James Cameron has never been a good writer of dialogue:P

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I'm firmly in the middle ground when it comes to Avatar. I loved the imagination behind the setting and design, but the story and dialogue was just so derivative that I highly doubt I will watch it anymore then twice. Pretty much everything I could say has already been said before me though, so I'll leave it at that. :P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#50 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

He was another character who had potential, but then wasn't very interesting in the end.

Film-Guy

I think that could be said about every single character in the entire movie.