Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6001 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

@warm_gun: A classic. Haven't seen it in years, gotta have a rewatch soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6002 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

The Game is quite good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6003 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58973 Posts

Iron Eagle - The movie Top Gun could have been

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6004 uninspiredcup

Uncommon Valor - Basically decent adventure/war-movie, lifted by Gene Hackman being

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6005 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2411 Posts

In Cold Blood (1967)

Very good. Kieslowski most likely watched this before making A Short Film About Killing, part 5 or 6 of Dekalog.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6006 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

Ambulance (2022) - Say what you want about Michael Bay, but he can shoot an action film like no one's business. This is a throwback to action movies of the '90s and early aughts; the story isn't anything new, but the action is pure old school filmmaking with little CGI, a LOT of impressive stunt driving, accompanied by impressive camera work using drones to capture the action.

Shame this wasn't a box office success, but this is definitely Bay's best film to date. And this is a low budget film, too--only cost $40 mil to make, but it looks more expensive. It's out as a digital rental/purchase. Definitely worth watching.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6007 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Gone in 60 Seconds - An good popcorn flick for car guys. Better then I remember actually, though this was made before Cage decided/needed to do any movie thrown his way. 7/10

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6008  Edited By Warm_Gun
@warm_gun said:

Was watching some Mexican movie, but became very tired twenty minutes in, slept a few hours

Finally fully watched Canoa: A Shameful Memory (1976). A poor town fearful of outside forces (godless Communists) is incited into lynching some young university workers who just wanted to pass through to go hiking. Good unintentional horror movie. Well, partly intentional. That guy staring with his big wide eyes as he tells what happened to some other college students weeks ago as the mob amasses outside gives those vibes. Feels part documentary, in how there are these large snippets commenting on the town and the priest in interviews (and the lack of music), but it's all drama.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6009 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

operation mincemeat.

didn't know anything about it beforehand so it was interesting. started really slow but picked up well towards the end.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6010 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts
Loading Video...

Local history of Minneapolis, MN.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6011 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I tend to watch more series than movies but the last two movies I watched were Midnight Mass and Greyhound.

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6012 ophelmark
Member since 2017 • 610 Posts

Sorcerer(77).I'll be honest.This was a pretty good movie but Man i was so tired i missed most of it.It was basically a tale of doomed Men cause of past mistakes they made trying to survive.I honestly felt bad for them.When they were trying so hard to make things works but for some reason it was like fate was against them and it keeps making things harder for them.The last scene...Man...it was downright cruel.

The Talented Mr Ripley.I only watched bits of this movie before so when i saw the full movie.I was fully aware the story was written by a a chick.That probably was in a girls only school education her whole life and that didn't had any interaction with any real Men.

XVIII_Reynaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6013 XVIII_Reynaldo
Member since 2022 • 1 Posts

i recently watch dolittle, and i can say that it was a massive letdown for RDJ since it was the film that came out after he bowed out of Avengers Endgame. the story was impactful, yes, but i think the idea of having it capped at just one hour and a few minutes was a bit of a bummer that could have given us a bigger outlook on the story as well.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6014  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

What the actual eff did I watch.

Very strange one here guys. I might have to sit on this one. I think Men is going to be very polarizing to watch for many people, and disturbed similarly to Midsommar.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6015  Edited By jaydan

Well, well, well, what a surprisingly delightful film here. This may go down as one of the most surprisingly good movies of 2022, and the edgiest film to come out of Disney, since ever.

Do mind, I feel like the Rescue Rangers title is a bit of a red herring, because there's really only a little bit of that in here. What this really is basically the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood of animation and CGI.

The cameos exceed WAYYYY beyond the Disney owned properties. You got surprising ones including more than a few popular adult cartoons that show up. The whole premise of bootlegging I found to be hilarious and meta, and just the fact Disney was willing to antagonize among their own beloved characters in some pretty glorious ways.

If you're a fan of animation at all, I think it's worth checking this out at least once, because it really pays homage to the animation artform and the different mediums. You have everything from traditional 2D, to computer animation, Muppet puppeteering and claymation, etc. The movie throws it all together and seeing so many different animation styles on screen at once in a while, it's so weird but unique.

It's the modern Roger Rabbit. It's a bummer Roger Rabbit isn't coming out any time soon, but at least there was a lot of love and effort put into this one that I think is worthwhile. A little sappy for me in some parts, but overall entertaining movie with some genuine laughs and surprising cameos that pays homage to animation from the old to the 21st century. Well worth it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6016 uninspiredcup

Hard Times [1975]

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6017 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@uninspiredcup: Oooh, good one. Charles Bronson, James Coburn and Walter Hill directing. Been a minute since I watched.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6018  Edited By Warm_Gun

Sudden Impact

The fourth Dirty Harry. In this reality an armed robbery can be found around every block. Harry randomly encounters two that have nothing to do with the plot in about thirty minutes. The morning after the second one, after Harry is told by his boss to stop getting himself into trouble (like he's not supposed to defend himself), there's a short weird tonal shift to somber jazz, which doesn't match the rest of the score and doesn't fit at that moment. A scene at a fishing market feels like an excuse to see Harry commit more violence. Too many subplots in this movie, which aren't even all really resolved satisfyingly. The main story of the rape victim going after her attackers (and her sister's) makes a nice enough parallel with Harry just delivering his own justice, kind of like the corrupt traffic (biker) cops in the second movie, but the stakes feel so low. A little dull until it isn't. There's a little bit of Miss .45 in her portrayal, but they don't really do anything with that idea of going mad. Most of the movie doesn't take place in San Francisco like the previous movies. He goes to a small town, which is convenient for the plot, as he can keep running into her by chance. I like all the Dirty Harry movies, but most just aren't that good. This is the only Dirty Harry movie directed by Clint Eastwood, and although the story (that he didn't write) left things to be desired there's some visually interesting direction by him (the night scenes), more so than some of the other movies in the series.

I like how the bad guy lands on the horn of the only unicorn in the horse carousel, heh. Seriously, look at the other horses right at that moment and the scene after.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6019 uninspiredcup

@hallenbeck77: First time watching it. Was enjoyable. Prob Bronsons second-best movie after Once Upon A Time In The West?

I like the complete lack of music and the love interest, doesn't go anywhere. She takes a fancy to better prospects and he just walks away from her lol

Can easily see as well two fighting locations Street Fighter II lifted from.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6020 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@uninspiredcup: Charles Broson movies from the '70s and earlier are great (I always liked The Dirty Dozen and Mr. Majestyk). But once the early '80 rolled on and he started making movies for Cannon Films, they just weren't hitting the same way--some were entertaining, but they weren't good at all.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6021  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Top Gun: Maverick. Saw it at a movie theater. I enjoyed it. The scene when Maverick meets Penny had a nice homage to Connelly in Labyrinth that I found entertaining.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6023  Edited By jaydan

Ever feel like you were born in the wrong era, and fantasize a time before through rose-tinted glasses? Well that's exactly what Edgar Wright explores in his latest film and his first foray into the horror genre.

I think I got a new favorite of this director.

Meet Ellie, a young and aspiring fashion designer who's quite obsessed with the 60's era. She has a special gift of sorts, and she eventually gets a chance to be transported to the very era that she dreams of living. At first it's a dream come true, that soon becomes an inescapable nightmare when she begins to discover the ugly truths hiding beneath her romanticized ideals.

Last Night in Soho was a dazzling psychological horror with Wright's signature style, and I was sucked into it from beginning to end.

Definitely a strong recommendation here.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6024  Edited By Warm_Gun

The Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo

The Sweden-set movie about murder, rape and old rich Nazis that you've probably already seen and I have little to say of that you don't know already.

I don't know how anyone can read the opening credits while that stylized CG opening is playing. I can in a Bond opening because the visuals aren't that fast-paced. It plays over this lame cover of Immigrant Song. Actually, it's not even that I dislike the cover so much, but more that the song feels off as an opener to the movie. Speaking of Bond, when Craig smoked his cigarette after the intro, the way he held it, it almost felt like he was making up for not being able to smoke as Bond. A kind of joke or F.U. Yes, I know the character was trying to get off smoking.

This movie paints smoking as bad too, though. Twice characters are asked to put their cigarettes out and a third time a guy in a van is visibly annoyed by someone smoking.

Some of the actors in this movie put on a fake accent, but Craig apparently just said **** it and spoke with his British accent. He barely tries to be Swedish. But he's alright in the part. His acting is good.

A stretch in both the Swedish and American versions for me is how everybody knows the murdered/missing girl was pretty religious but no one in the investigations back then figured out that the names and numbers in the back of her diary referred to Bible passages.

Made with more money than the Swedish version, and it shows. Fincher is obviously a better director. But his style is a little bit over the top too. Where the shack the Craig character works out of is ordinary in the Swedish version, here it's so aged and spacious that it looks almost like the house in Fight Club. The city is filmed more scenically and selectively, like how you'd imagine Sweden looking rather than how it probably generally is. But it's fine.

I found the ending in the Swedish version kind of weak. The ending here didn't really quite satisfy me either. It's pretty similar, but more drawn out. Just keeps going. Also feels more American.

The Rooney Mara character asks after saving the Craig character from torture and death if she may kill the killer. He says yes. In the Swedish version, she just chases after the killer and the Craig character only asks afterward what happened. She doesn't give him a straight answer. Her letting him burn was executed better in the Swedish version. It was more prolonged, rather than a quick explosion, and connected better with what she did to her father, which is shown in flashbacks in the Swedish version and which she tells to the Craig character in the American version (with the flashbacks omitted). Anyway, I can't imagine the Craig character wanting his suspect killed after all the work they did in identifying him. He'd rather see him in prison, I think. As a journalist, he would want to be known for being instrumental in his arrest. How would he expect her to get away with shooting the fleeing man anyway?

Even if I hadn't watched the Swedish version first (two months ago), I would have known early on that the Stellan Skarsgård character was the bad guy. Because he just looks and sounds villainous.

I don't love the Swedish version either. That trilogy was a 3/5 for me. The first one, Dragoon Tattoo, was the best of them all. They get progressively worse after and don't even feel that tightly connected to the first, so nothing much is lost by this American version not being followed by the two later (never adapted in America) books.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6025  Edited By Warm_Gun

One Hundred and One Nights (1995, Agnes Varda)

An old Mister Cinema (That's his name.) recalls movies he made while inhabiting other filmmakers and actors over the history of cinema. I think. This young pretty personal assistant is trying to con him out of his fortune. I didn't fully understand it. Knowing a little bit of Varda's creative process from what she said in her 1988 movie Jane B. by Agnès V., she was probably making a lot of this up as she went along and couldn't fully make sense of it herself either. Feels masturbatory, but the surreal oddness has its charm. You can tell she really likes making movies. Was this good? I don't fucking know. Lots of stars in this playing themselves. Like I said, masturbatory.

Took me a few seconds to realize this was Delon.

She speaks French!

He speaks French badly.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6026 GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

On Saturday or Sunday I watched Uncharted. Got to say, was not impressed. They had a path, which was threaded for these kinds of movies long time ago, and they managed to go sideways. What surprised me is that it actually made enough money to warrant a second part. Jesus.

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6027 ophelmark
Member since 2017 • 610 Posts

Virus.Man this movie was pretty good though a bit depressing.

Cyborg.When i watched this movie for the first time.I never understood why Van Damme's character didn't bang the chick when she disrobed in front of him in the beach.Until i realized he didn't want to become attached to another chick.Cause she will probably die.And he was right at the end.

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc I - The Egg of the King.Rewatch.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6028 uninspiredcup

Memory - Late career Neeson schlock makes for a good weekend movie. Hope he keeps doing them.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6029 Warm_Gun

Something Wild (1961)

Without saying what it's about, I have never watched a movie this old dealing with the subject matter to this extent. I don't know enough about those experiences to tell if it was handled realistically or was SUPER exaggerated, but you can rationalize it by what what happens and how she reacts in the fiction. It was entertaining. I imagine a pretty sizable chunk of the viewers take issue with where the story goes, find it problematic. For me, her ending up where she does and trying to make peace with it, staying somewhat broken, makes the conflict of the movie more effective. It's not about him getting what he wants. A woman could have written this.

I liked all the street shots. When you see New York City or Chicago in movies this old, you can tell the actors are on sets or closed, controlled streets. Here they just filmed non-actors going about their lives and probably risked strangers checking out the camera. Made it feel more authentic.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6030 GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

Inception. I mean, I get why many people liked it, but it was just too long for me and all the good bits shown in the trailers were more or less their training montages lol. And the ending was predictable. But an eight out of ten.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6031  Edited By uninspiredcup

@gns: Honestly this is a problem have with a lot of Nolan stuff. Too long, emotionally flat, most of the time don't care what's going on, long for the sake of being long. Overly po-faced.

He gets called a smart mainstream movie maker, but compare him to someone like Paul Verhoeven, he's garbage poo lol

Just my opinion.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6032  Edited By jaydan

RRR (Rise Roar Revolt). Badass, over-the-top Bollywood action film, for men.

On Netflix.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6033 Warm_Gun

American Beauty (1999, Sam Mendes)

Rewatch. Been long enough that I wasn't 100 percent sure who would fire the gun as the end came slowly up. This is pretentious. Good, but pretentious. The characters have to act so weird for the story to even work. Funny, though. When it wants to be.

Saboteur (1942, Hitchcock)

It's a traveling thriller in the vein of North by Northwest and 39 Steps, with the protagonist again accompanied by a woman who gets unwillingly wrapped into the whole conspiracy and him again having to use his head to get out of sticky situations. But it's not as good. Hitchcock's love for special effects is here too. I wonder how convincing people found them in 1941. There's a part where a stuntman jumps off a pretty high bridge into a shallow looking river where in my mind I was going, "HOLY SHIT."

Too much contrast. Also, weird choice for a 4K. Much of it doesn't look like OCN. But I get Universal mostly just packed whatever movies they had left into the second Hitchcock volume because they blew their load with all the most beloved ones they owned with the first volume.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6034  Edited By Warm_Gun

Prince and the Revolution Live

Third viewing. Watching Prince is amusing. Because he's short, not really that handsome, can't dance that well, but makes up for it all with extreme confidence and spirit. It's like a nerd pretending he's the sexiest guy around. Obviously none of it would matter without musical skill.

I was watching the new Blu-ray. But I stopped 23 minutes in, checked the old DVD again and decided the DVD is better. Then I watched it over from the beginning and found I was better able to enjoy it on DVD in stereo. Don't know what goes through these people's heads that makes them think their moving water color paintings (with fake grain) look good. AI-upscaling is such horseshit.

Which is which? I don't know!

The Atmos isn't good either. The LFE just sounds like a boombox. The old stereo already sounds thunderous with my headphones.

Edit: Pretty creepy what it did to his face here (bottom pic):

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6035 uninspiredcup

Undiscovered Country - Probably my fav Star Trek movie.

Dope soundtrack as well.

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6036  Edited By uninspiredcup

The Hitcher - Can pick apart some stuff that doesn't make sense, but the movie has a dreamlike quality to it that doesn't feel like reality, Rutger Hauer A+

Loading Video...

Some of the things like is that they don't overuse him and it doesn't really rely on gore. All the gruesome death scenes (guy at car, family killed, truck tears apart girl etc...) are all less is more.

wormjim033

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6037 wormjim033
Member since 2022 • 8 Posts

Tenet
Crazy movie! I liked it a lot

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6038 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

everything, everywhere, all at one.

little late to the party because as a grown up with kids and work it's tough to actually carve out time to see movies in theaters but **** this was a good one.

easily best new movie i've seen in a year or two

OphelFromHell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6039 OphelFromHell
Member since 2022 • 53 Posts

Twelve Monkeys.Rewatch.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6040 uninspiredcup

My Lucky Stars - Just watched for Michiko Nishiwaki, she's barely in it, but it was still worth it.

Loading Video...

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6041 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. The trailer promised for a very entertaining and fun Nic Cage movie and it definitely delivered. A breath of fresh air compared to Hollywood's factory line of blockbusters.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6042 uninspiredcup

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - I do not think this is a good movie. The fight scenes are CGI overload.

If it's some magical fantastical setting like Lords Of The Rings or Starwars, I get it. But they are literally, fighting on a bus in Seattle, and it's all studio phony looking.

Just bad.

Loading Video...

Here's a straight-to-video Scot Atkins fight for comparison.

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6043 uninspiredcup

Dragonball Super: Super: Super: Superheroes - The best stuff in this is the first half where it feels closer to Dragonball. Once hits the second half turns into a rehash of Z fights, eh.

Do like (love) that the primary focus is Piccolo. And unlike GT where she was extremely irritating Pan is an adorable character here.

Not as good as Broly. Would have preferred if they just totally done away with the second half and made it some slice of life lower key thing with Piccolo and Pan.

The computer generated stuff isn't as offensive as it first seemed. Though still think Broly was pretty much the perfect look for the franchise.

OphelFromHell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6044 OphelFromHell
Member since 2022 • 53 Posts

Zombi 2.rewatch.

Westworld(73).

House(85).

1984.You know i read the book first.And i always thought Winston was some kind of hero...cause he was against big brother but after watching this movie again.I realized he really wasn't...he was a coward that was always looking for himself.Even when he was a kid.When he stole the food from his poor sister.So when O’Brien gave him and Julia all those to do horrible things to do and he agreed to do it.Like throwing acid on a kids face.It clicked on me.He was really a bad guy.So i wasn't surprised any more when both of them betrayed each other and turned into bb zombie lovers.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6045 Warm_Gun

C'mon C'mon (2021)

Joaquin Phoenix is a tubby. He doesn't need to be a tubby for this movie. Can't think of any reason. I don't think it makes him more personable or realistic.

I can't prove it and I'm not gonna look it up and I might be way off, but I suspect the director watched Alice in the Cities (1974, Wim Wenders) before writing this movie. Another 1.66:1 black and white movie about a man traveling through America with a child who is not his own. Here the man is the uncle, who interviews children about what they're afraid of and what they think about the future and what they feel (while having trouble understanding the boy), and the boy is much smarter and more a wise-ass/precocious than Alice. I didn't think like this when I was a kid and I don't remember other kids acting like this. Alice in the Cities felt truer. Not just because of the kid. Kind of liked this, but I don't know if I'd call it good. Guessing the critics loved it. Not looking it up.

I knew this was an Arri-Alexa movie without even looking at the IMDB specs or checking in the credits. I just knew it. It has that same grey, even look as 2018's Roma. Not a fan. Just doesn't have that texture it would if they used film or maybe manipulated it more in the computer after.

The mother's face reminded me of French New Wave actor Jean-Pierre Léaud.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6046 uninspiredcup

Phenomena - I did not like this movie. Usually love Dario Argento stuff, but this was just extremely boring and didn't care what was going on.

Tuskenraider80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6047 Tuskenraider80
Member since 2022 • 65 Posts

watching some old horror and sci fi movies on Tubi this weekend

Day of the Triffids

Subspecies II

Shrunken Heads

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6048 uninspiredcup

Manhattan Baby - Lucio Fulci (the maker himself) disregarded this movie as pap. Amazing soundtrack though.

Loading Video...

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#6049 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

Jurassic Park Dominion, movie was decent though I felt it was boring at times. Chris Pratt was so annoying in this movie as the Dinosaur Whisperer with his hand and being able to control dinosaurs. I liked seeing Sam Neil, Lauren Dern and Jeff Goldblum on screen together even though they are older now. Made it to the second hour of the movie before waking out of the theater. Better than Fallen Kingdom which was a huge disappointment. Probably just wait for it arrive on DVD or Peacock and finish it.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#6050 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

@vfighter said:

Dick Tracey - Never watched this one before, but ai do remember the trailers and all the buzz it got way back in 1990 (I don't remember though how critics liked it though). The good, the visuals for the most part are very good. The use of color is well done, the characters all look great (the make up and prosthetic work are really good). The bad, a lot of great actors are hidden underneath those prosthetics, and while they do look good not many of them are really given much to do. A decent try to get Dick Tracey on the big screen, not a bad movie but it could have been better. 5/10

I remember seeing that as a kid but recently got the DVD. Pretty terrible as it looked like it was a live action cartoon.