Is racism still a big issue in the United States?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-R3Vo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 -R3Vo
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts
[QUOTE="SIapshot"]

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]What do you think? Racism will never die, but do you think the US has a racism problem? Or are we doing pretty well?helium_flash

It permeates every aspect of our society. Whites choose to minimize it in favor of acceptance, and blacks try to inflate it in favor of social gains.

That's true. /nods

I concur...

TheStore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 TheStore
Member since 2008 • 143 Posts

Racism is only a problem b/c some minorities refuse to let it go away. Yes, injustices were committed in the past, but acting like you're entitled to something now is no way to solve it.murlow12

Why should they let it go? Its still and it happens to them presently.

-R3Vo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 -R3Vo

[QUOTE="murlow12"]Racism is only a problem b/c some minorities refuse to let it go away. Yes, injustices were committed in the past, but acting like you're entitled to something now is no way to solve it.TheStore

No, not at all, if anything it happens to Whites with affirmative action you tw/at.

TheStore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 TheStore
[QUOTE="TheStore"]

[QUOTE="murlow12"]Racism is only a problem b/c some minorities refuse to let it go away. Yes, injustices were committed in the past, but acting like you're entitled to something now is no way to solve it.-R3Vo

No, not at all, if anything it happens to Whites with affirmative action you tw/at.

example?

-R3Vo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 -R3Vo
[QUOTE="-R3Vo"][QUOTE="TheStore"]

[QUOTE="murlow12"]Racism is only a problem b/c some minorities refuse to let it go away. Yes, injustices were committed in the past, but acting like you're entitled to something now is no way to solve it.TheStore

example?

You really want to go down that hole? Anyone who does I consider an imbicile...

Rold_Gold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Rold_Gold
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
No..racism is always the truth. People just want to be politiclally correct...
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts
[QUOTE="-R3Vo"][QUOTE="TheStore"]

example?

Are you asking for an example of so-called "reverse racism", where whites are discriminated against for the sake of evening the odds? Well Mr. R3Vo just mentioned affirmative action, a process by which I can be denied admission to a school or a job because I'm white, even if I'm more qualified than a minority. It doesn't get much more straighforward than that.
TheStore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 TheStore
[QUOTE="TheStore"][QUOTE="-R3Vo"][QUOTE="TheStore"]

[QUOTE="murlow12"]Racism is only a problem b/c some minorities refuse to let it go away. Yes, injustices were committed in the past, but acting like you're entitled to something now is no way to solve it.murlow12

example?

Are you asking for an example of so-called "reverse racism", where whites are discriminated against for the sake of evening the odds? Well Mr. R3Vo just mentioned affirmative action, a process by which I can be denied admission to a school or a job because I'm white, even if I'm more qualified than a minority. It doesn't get much more straighforward than that.

Well its quite understandable due to the status of minorities. Of course though most whites will still not agree with affirmative action because it puts them in a unfavorable position. Have you even been a victim of affirmative action?

iSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 iSponge
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Racism is a big issue, around the world.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 murlow12
[QUOTE="murlow12"][QUOTE="TheStore"][QUOTE="-R3Vo"][QUOTE="TheStore"]

example?

Well its quite understandable due to the status of minorities. Of course though most whites will still not agree with affirmative action because it puts them in a unfavorable position. Have you even been a victim of affirmative action?

That's hard to know for sure, because universities don't give specific reasons for not accepting an applicant. It's all speculation, but I believe I have been a victim of affirmative action. I also have many friends that have benefited from it, meaning that someone else (presumably a white man) was hurt by it.
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

Racism is only a problem b/c some minorities refuse to let it go away. Yes, injustices were committed in the past, but acting like you're entitled to something now is no way to solve it.murlow12

Right ... so there is no racist white americans left? :roll:

totalmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 totalmachine
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

Being from the south, there are ALOT of rascist people. I don't think it will ever die down.

Welis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#63 Welis
Member since 2004 • 1431 Posts

Apart from the Society, what abotu Video Game Industry.

Omg, black man died first in the game ''This game is racist'' !!!

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#64 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
It's still a problem. Mostly it's a quieter racism than in years past (not on internet forum boards), but still there. We still have a ways to go.
Mr_Manikin52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 Mr_Manikin52
Member since 2004 • 12300 Posts
To an average Asian-American...nope.:roll:
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 murlow12

[QUOTE="murlow12"]Racism is only a problem b/c some minorities refuse to let it go away. Yes, injustices were committed in the past, but acting like you're entitled to something now is no way to solve it.soren008

Right ... so there is no racist white americans left? :roll:

Not that I'm aware of. Care to elaborate?
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
I remember on my senior trip back in HS in 2006 we went to Virginia. Me and my friend went out walking to go shopping (hes hispanic, didnt dress thuggish or anything) and everybody that we past by kept looking at both of us as if we were some criminals. One parent even gave us both a dirty look and grabbed their kids away and walked fast. Then we went into a store and the white lady kept following both of us asking do we want any help for the 20th time as she gave us her fake smile over and over again. But is rascism as big as it use to be, no, not when I look back in history books and read about the past compare to today.
john_doe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 john_doe2
Member since 2006 • 948 Posts
[QUOTE="TheStore"][QUOTE="murlow12"][QUOTE="TheStore"][QUOTE="-R3Vo"][QUOTE="TheStore"]

[QUOTE="murlow12"]Racism is only a problem b/c some minorities refuse to let it go away. Yes, injustices were committed in the past, but acting like you're entitled to something now is no way to solve it.murlow12

example?

That's hard to know for sure, because universities don't give specific reasons for not accepting an applicant. It's all speculation, but I believe I have been a victim of affirmative action. I also have many friends that have benefited from it, meaning that someone else (presumably a white man) was hurt by it.

Yeah, affirmative action is a pile of crap. They need to do away with it along with racial quotas and everything else like unto it. It should be about who's the most qualified, not about who's black and who's white and who's male and who's female.

1mpaler-w6rbnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 1mpaler-w6rbnd
Member since 2008 • 1992 Posts
Of course it is!
Avatar image for deactivated-58188738395f3
deactivated-58188738395f3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-58188738395f3
Member since 2008 • 1161 Posts

Racism is not only a problem in the US but also in Israel. In Israel there is racism against Ethiopian Jews. Many don't see them as Jewish because they are black. I'm brown (i was born in Brazil) and also faced racism in high school.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1001041.html

greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#71 greenprince
Member since 2006 • 3332 Posts
Speaking from experience, people from the South in the USA aren't really racist as the people from the North and media tries to make them as such. Out of the five visits where I went to Texas-there was only one racist incident I happen to experience and the general public who witness frowned upon on that person. Seriously. people from the north and the media such as Family Guy EXTREMELY EXAGGERATE the racist problems in the South yet deny their own current problems such as the " White Flight " action going on in the Northern states of America.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

Speaking from experience, people from the South in the USA aren't really racist as the people from the North and media tries to make them as such. Out of the five visits where I went to Texas-there was only one racist incident I happen to experience and the general public who witness frowned upon on that person. Seriously. people from the north and the media such as Family Guy EXTREMELY EXAGGERATE the racist problems in the South yet deny their own current problems such as the " White Flight " action going on in the Northern states of America.greenprince

Really? Then why did Alabama vote during the last election to keep segregation law for schools on the books? (it is overwritten by the Supreme court, but the population chooses to still have it as state law).

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts

The United States? I don't know, then again it must be a problem if I'm constantly getting looked at suspiciously in my own town. -Twilight-

Must be a problem in my area too because I can't walk my dogs without people smiling at them (Basset Hounds FTW). Jeeze man, get over yourself.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Yes racism is a problem but no where near when it comes to social class.. In the end social class workings are the ultimate inequality in the United States... When born poor in the nation, your standard of living is lower (odviously) and your chances are far fewer due to poor education and other such aspects.

Also right after 9/11 we had a huge influx of fear and hatred towards middle easterners.. Hell I work for a coffee shop and due to us being owned by the 3rd Arab bank people were coming in saying that we support terrorism... Some even said not terrorism but specifically Islam.. Some of these people need to good away.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#75 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

Yes racism is a problem but no where near when it comes to social class.. In the end social class workings are the ultimate inequality in the United States... When born poor in the nation, your standard of living is lower (odviously) and your chances are far fewer due to poor education and other such aspects.

sSubZerOo

Educating yourself has nothing to do with social status. The school almost always provides all the needed materials for you.

Hell, my girlfriend is a 25 year old Filipino, and her family is poor. She pretty much runs the financial status of her entire family. Her parents are pretty much leaches as they can't control their spending habits. She recently got accepted to Virginia Tech, and has been taking out loans to pay for it.

If you do poorly in school, it is your own fault. Not your parents', or society's, or even the school's. Your own fault.

HoffmanSony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 HoffmanSony
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts
there was this guy at my school (total creeper btw) who was racist to the extreme. I wanted to teach him a lesson