Is racism still a big issue in the United States?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

What do you think? Racism will never die, but do you think the US has a racism problem? Or are we doing pretty well?

Or is racism not a problem at all?

And if you have any interesting articles on the subject, please post them.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts
There's racism everywhere, but as far as I know, it's not a massive problem in the US.
ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#3 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts
What do you think? Racism will never die, but do you think the US has a racism problem? Or are we doing pretty well?helium_flash
its not as big as it used to be
SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SIapshot
Member since 2002 • 8044 Posts

What do you think? Racism will never die, but do you think the US has a racism problem? Or are we doing pretty well?ishoturface
It permeates every aspect of our society. Whites choose to minimize it in favor of acceptance, and blacks try to inflate it in favor of social gains.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
The US is such a large and diverse country, it is hard to apply one statement or opinion to the entire place. Many parts of the country (south and midwest especially) are quite homogenous, and fear anything that is not white, christian, and straight. However, our large cities are some of the most diverse and progressive parts of the world.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 helium_flash

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]What do you think? Racism will never die, but do you think the US has a racism problem? Or are we doing pretty well?SIapshot

It permeates every aspect of our society. Whites choose to minimize it in favor of acceptance, and blacks try to inflate it in favor of social gains.

That's true. /nods
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

its only a problem when rube parents teach thier kids that its still a problem

soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]What do you think? Racism will never die, but do you think the US has a racism problem? Or are we doing pretty well?SIapshot

My god ... I'm glad I don't see in black & white ...

I guess you will dismiss me as a utopian idealist ... but what you just said is fundementally wrong ..

It's generalization to the point of stupidity..

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 helium_flash
[QUOTE="SIapshot"]

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]What do you think? Racism will never die, but do you think the US has a racism problem? Or are we doing pretty well?soren008

I guess you will dismiss me as a utopian idealist ... but what you just said is fundementally wrong ..

Why's that?
SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SIapshot
Member since 2002 • 8044 Posts
[QUOTE="SIapshot"]

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]What do you think? Racism will never die, but do you think the US has a racism problem? Or are we doing pretty well?soren008

Meh, either you can debate my points with logic, or you can appeal to the masses with emotion. I care not either way.

Since you alluded to my points as being "fundementally" wrong, I'll give you the floor...

-Twilight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Twilight-
Member since 2005 • 8931 Posts
The United States? I don't know, then again it must be a problem if I'm constantly getting looked at suspiciously in my own town.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a4c1fedbd347
deactivated-5a4c1fedbd347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5a4c1fedbd347
Member since 2006 • 1523 Posts
It's still there, some places more than others. It isn't as big of a deal as it used to be though
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soren008
[QUOTE="SIapshot"]

Whites choose to minimize it in favor of acceptance, and blacks try to inflate it in favor of social gains.

soren008

Here, now if you can't see that .. then this argument is pointless

Where's the logic in that statement of yours ?

What you have said is stereotypical & irrational .. if I was to guess it's all based on gut feeling ..

"To generalize is to be a idiot" - William Blake

Half-Life_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Half-Life_man
Member since 2006 • 6302 Posts
Racial equality has gotten much better over the past few decades, but there are still some problems with it and there will always be, but we're not having a Civil War and we're not segregated, so I wouldn't say that is that bad.
bradleybhoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bradleybhoy
Member since 2005 • 6501 Posts
[QUOTE="soren008"][QUOTE="SIapshot"]

Meh, either you can debate my points with logic, or you can appeal to the masses with emotion. I care not either way.

Since you alluded to my points as being "fundementally" wrong, I'll give you the floor...

It's a gross generalisation.

Therefore wrong.

I don't understand the "white's choose to minimize it in favour of acceptance" part. Can you explain?

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Well, seeing as how , according to the bill of rights- the KKK has the right to peacefully assemble...

racism is still a huge issue.

smallcaplegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 smallcaplegend
Member since 2006 • 3083 Posts
not as it was in the late 60's, but in some places it is pretty bad
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 soren008

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]What do you think? Racism will never die, but do you think the US has a racism problem? Or are we doing pretty well?helium_flash

Why's that?

It's so boring .. Whites want to be accepted , Blacks play the Race card ... yada yada ya

This stereoptypical view is along side "the central cause of the problem" ...

His oversimplified conception is based on the assumption that there are attributes that members of the "other group" (blacks) hold in common...

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 helium_flash

Well, seeing as how , according to the bill of rights- the KKK has the right to peacefully assemble...

Shmiity
I dont think anyone takes the KKK seriously anymore.
bradleybhoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bradleybhoy

No doubt America's history concerning racial relations fuels present and will fuel future psychosis over race.

I know it does sound niave but imo we really have to avoid looking at everything from a racial perspective, but it is very difficult when many issues revolve around inequalities between different races.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 helium_flash
[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="soren008"][QUOTE="SIapshot"]

Why's that?

It's so boring .. Whites want to be accepted , Blacks play the Race card ... yada yada ya

His oversimplified conception is based on the assumption that there are attributes that members of the "other group" (blacks) hold in common...

So you think that his statement saying that whites try to gain acceptance and black people using the race card for their own gains is false then?
bradleybhoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bradleybhoy
[QUOTE="soren008"][QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="soren008"][QUOTE="SIapshot"]

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]What do you think? Racism will never die, but do you think the US has a racism problem? Or are we doing pretty well?helium_flash

Why's that?

So you think that his statement saying that whites try to gain acceptance and black people using the race card for their own gains is false then?

Yup.

However I assume it's true that some people minimise racism to gain acceptance and that some people emphasis it for their own benefit.

Crimson_Faith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Crimson_Faith
Member since 2006 • 7194 Posts

In the US its not so much racism thats the issue, its the people that use it as an excuse for EVERYTHING. Black, Hispanics, and hell, even some whites. Every time something bad happens to them and its done by someone of a different race, its instantly racism, they get pulled over, racism, they get fired, racism, they get short changed at the local Arby's for 2 ham and cheddar melts and curly fries, racism. Honestly, Racism has turned into a crutch, more than an actual problem. Its kinda sad really.

Another problem we have is racial stereotyping. Someone see's an Arab, and automatically they just HAVE to be a terrorist. And a Black or Hispanic is instantly a gang banger. People are so damn closed minded that they think because one person did something bad, the whole race is bad. Makes me sick.

We could really use a modern day Martin Luther King... that man was a hero in true form, fighting for the rights of ALL people. He died so that people would just learn to accept a person as a person, instead of seeing them as a people.The message was lost somewhere though, kinda sad if you ask me.

bradleybhoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bradleybhoy

In the US its not so much racism thats the issue, its the people that use it as an excuse for EVERYTHING. Black, Hispanics, and hell, even some whites. Every time something bad happens to them and its done by someone of a different race, its instantly racism, they get pulled over, racism, they get fired, racism, they get short changed at the local Arby's for 2 ham and cheddar melts and curly fries, racism. Honestly, Racism has turned into a crutch, more than an actual problem. Its kinda sad really.

Another problem we have is racial stereotyping. Someone see's an Arab, and automatically they just HAVE to be a terrorist. And a Black or Hispanic is instantly a gang banger. People are so damn closed minded that they think because one person did something bad, the whole race is bad. Makes me sick.

We could really use a modern day Martin Luther King... that man was a hero in true form, fighting for the rights of ALL people. He died so that people would just learn to accept a person as a person, instead of seeing them as a people.The message was lost somewhere though, kinda sad if you ask me.

Crimson_Faith

Agreed. It seems differences are such a BIG problem, class, race, gender. A more universally compassionate attitude is needed, but you still have to distinguish right from wrong.

Martin Luther King is a great inspiration, all Americans and people everywhere should celebrate his life and message imo.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 helium_flash

Well said Crimson.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

Whites choose to minimize it in favor of acceptance, and blacks try to inflate it in favor of social gains.

soren008

Here, now if you can't see that .. then this argument is pointless

Where's the logic in that statement of yours ?

What you have said is stereotypical & irrational .. if I was to guess it's all based on gut feeling ..

"To generalize is to be a idiot" - William Blake

I agree. He was being pretty damn stereotypical there. That stuff doesnt happen anymore unless you're dealing with Jesse Jackson, who even blacks dont respect.

But yes there is significanty less racial tension nowadays, which is a very good thing. Im still disappointed though there is still idiots like the KKK in this world.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

Crimson_Faith

GREAT POST.

Stereotyping and close-minded thinking is ruining America. It seriously needs to stop.

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts

Shmiity

The KKK should have the right to assemble as long as it's now outside of someone house and in a public place....

they'll probably get laughed at anyways in this day and age.

Crimson_Faith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Crimson_Faith
Member since 2006 • 7194 Posts
Aww thanks guys. :oops:
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
It's a problem everywhere in the world and it's still a problem in the US. Things are better than they were 50 years ago, but we still can go forward.
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 soren008

So you think that his statement saying that whites try to gain acceptance and black people using the race card for their own gains is false then?helium_flash

Oh I'm sure it exists ... it's the vile idiotic generalization he made that I was against ..

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

The US is such a large and diverse country, it is hard to apply one statement or opinion to the entire place. Many parts of the country (south and midwest especially) are quite homogenous, and fear anything that is not white, christian, and straight. However, our large cities are some of the most diverse and progressive parts of the world.Engrish_Major

I'm going to say you are wrong for singling out the south for being more fearful than other parts.

I live in the North and see my fare share of racist bigots from all groups of people yet it's the south that still gets mocked for some reason. I feel like while racial tension is down (from lets say 50 years ago) around the nation it is equally spread out and not centered in one part.

wslacker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wslacker2
Member since 2007 • 1192 Posts
It is not illegal to join the KKK or Neo Nazis etc., they have, and should remain to have, the power of association as stated in the Constitution etc. What they do not have the right to do is act criminally based upon such an association. I.E. They can use the n' word all they want in private , dress up in white sheets, shave their heaDS AND WEAR SWASTICAS ON THEIR CLOTHING OR TATTOOS, but they cannot rob, beat, murder, harass someone or a group of people based upon their race, ethnicity, disability, gender etc.etc.
navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts
Racism will never end. It is a big issue in the US, quite sad.
vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts
Although I've never seen apparent bigotry or racism before. It is still a fairly big issue
KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
well after seeing my brother's wife being harrassed by some white trash for being asian...yes i do think it's still a big problem. and it will never die sadly
Avatar image for deactivated-58188738395f3
deactivated-58188738395f3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-58188738395f3
Member since 2008 • 1161 Posts

Personally i don't think race exists at all. Race is a social reality, not a biological one. But even if all of the governments of the world said we are all human no one would listen. It's because human beings need to feel superior to each other. I mean there are other things besides skin color that divide us. You have facial features, height, hairiness vs hairlessness etc. I like it the way it is. If everyone on earth was all white or all black people, humans would find something else to fight about. Weight, height, hair color, who is more beautiful or who lives on the nicest part of the planet.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#39 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Racism is not a bad in America as it is in the other side of the world, Europe and Asia the most racist countries in the world.
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 soren008

Racism is not a bad in America as it is in the other side of the world, Europe and Asia the most racist countries in the world.Toriko42

That's debatable ...

ps. Europe isn't a country ..

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Personally i don't think race exists at all. Race is a social reality, not a biological one. But even if all of the governments of the world said we are all human no one would listen. It's because human beings need to feel superior to each other. I mean there are other things besides skin color that divide us. You have facial features, height, hairiness vs hairlessness etc. I like it the way it is. If everyone on earth was all white or all black people, humans would find something else to fight about. Weight, height, hair color, who is more beautiful or who lives on the nicest part of the planet.

X4D

Just going off in a tangent here, and I'm not picking at your post, but...

Do any of you guys feel funny about the term 'white trash', I am probably being a bit silly here, it's hard to explain, but doesn't it suggest that white people are otherwise good people and therefore the therefore it is a rare occassion for white people to be trash, as if, that black are already trash, so therefore the adjective 'trash' does not need to be used when describing bad black people.

Do you get what I'm saying? I've never been comfortable with that term.

Dub_c6969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dub_c6969
Member since 2004 • 6014 Posts
Although I've never seen apparent bigotry or racism before. It is still a fairly big issuevidplayer8
Play on xbox live and you will hear your fair share.
Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts
[QUOTE="X4D"]

MetalGear_Ninty

Just going off in a tangent here, and I'm not picking at your post, but...

Do any of you guys feel funny about the term 'white trash', I am probably being a bit silly here, it's hard to explain, but doesn't it suggest that white people are otherwise good people and therefore the therefore it is a rare occassion for white people to be trash, as if, that black are already trash, so therefore the adjective 'trash' does not need to be used when describing bad black people.

Do you get what I'm saying? I've never been comfortable with that term.

I get what you're saying, but I never thought of it that way and I don't think the guy who made up the phrase was thinking that deep when he he originally said it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58188738395f3
deactivated-58188738395f3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-58188738395f3
Member since 2008 • 1161 Posts

Racism is not a bad in America as it is in the other side of the world, Europe and Asia the most racist countries in the world.Toriko42

Europe is much less racist than it was in the past. I'm brown and i lived in Switzerland for 3 years and never had a race problem. Well maybe a little but not something serious. I had 2 friends there. Although one of them laughed at me sometimes because of my brown skin color, it was never serious. In fact, i faced more racism in Israel.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

and some people chose to stereotype blacks.... :roll:

-Twilight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Twilight-
Member since 2005 • 8931 Posts

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]The US is such a large and diverse country, it is hard to apply one statement or opinion to the entire place. Many parts of the country (south and midwest especially) are quite homogenous, and fear anything that is not white, christian, and straight. However, our large cities are some of the most diverse and progressive parts of the world.limpbizkit818

I'm going to say you are wrong for singling out the south for being more fearful than other parts.

I live in the North and see my fare share of racist bigots from all groups of people yet it's the south that still gets mocked for some reason. I feel like while racial tension is down (from lets say 50 years ago) around the nation it is equally spread out and not centered in one part.

I lived down south two years ago, and for the first eleven years of my life. I've experienced much more racism here in the north than the south believe it or not. People are constantly bashing the south and like to joke as if it's nothing but a bunch of old rednecks, trailer trash hicks down there, but I think that's what may have pushed people to move forward. Look up the term "white flight", it's much more apparent here in the tri-state than in, say, Florida. People from up here disgust me when they look their noses down at a southerner's racism as if it's unjustified compared to their own prejudices.
CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CruxisXIII
Member since 2008 • 763 Posts
My family is very racist, but doesn't express it to the races. Then again they are Jewish and all Jews are racists (almost all of the ones I've met are)
kakashi552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kakashi552
Member since 2006 • 501 Posts

i heard it still separates schools in the south. The whites go to private schools, the blacks to the public ones (which just happen to be worse than the private schools).

in Cleveland, Ohio, the downtown more black-populated districts have less government funding than some suburbs.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts
Racism is only a problem b/c some minorities refuse to let it go away. Yes, injustices were committed in the past, but acting like you're entitled to something now is no way to solve it.
dhruv989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dhruv989
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts
Still a huge problem, racism will never end.:twisted: