Is it ok to drink beer through a straw?

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Damn man... you don't drink beer with a straw. It's fvcking weird.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

There is so much wrong in this pic:

chaoscougar1

Yeah They're drinking Hoegaarden

I don't mind a wheat beer, I just don't like the orange flavor that Hoegaarden has (orange peel and corriander is used to flavor it).

Personally, I like Leffe Blonde, Warsteiner, Palm, Brand (not available in the US yet) and have enjoy good German beers that I tried while over there years ago.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]:| Beer is supposed to be bitter stupid. Order a tequila sunrise or Fruli if you want something sweet.WhiteKnight77

You are wrong and and all beer is bitter. There is nothing bitter about a Belgian Trippel or a Porter. All most mainstream Americans know though is the yellow, fizzy industrial stuff that has no complexity or flavor outside of bland bitterness. (Bud, Miller, Coors, Molson, Red Stripe, PBR, Labatt, Fosters, Heineken, etc, etc, etc.) Some are getting better though. Now if we could only get them away from the fake craft stuff like Blue Moon, Shock Top and Leinenkugels.

So a Jamacian, Dutch, Australian and a couple of Canadian beers are American swill? I am sure that the respective brewers of those beers will be glad to hear that.

They are foreign imports marketed to Americans. People in those countries don't generally drink that shit and it is all classified as American Adjunct Lager. Red Stripe is not a Jamican beer. Only brewed there. And for the record, Molson & Coors is the exact same company. You guys are fools for marketing campaigns and the catchy story on the bottle. Even with other crappy popular styles. Do you really think American Guinness is brewed in Dublin Ireland like real Guinness? Its made in Ontario Canada by Labatt. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/221/6 http://www.molsoncoors.com/en/Index.aspx http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/38
JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 JustBeYourself
Member since 2012 • 686 Posts

I went to a bar and a girl ordered me a drink but I requested a straw so its easier to swallow (its pretty bitter). The girl was looking at me weird all I said was its a lot easier to drink

KingOfAsia
Oh my god, I want to say "Just be yourself" but I can't....
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"]You are wrong and and all beer is bitter. There is nothing bitter about a Belgian Trippel or a Porter. All most mainstream Americans know though is the yellow, fizzy industrial stuff that has no complexity or flavor outside of bland bitterness. (Bud, Miller, Coors, Molson, Red Stripe, PBR, Labatt, Fosters, Heineken, etc, etc, etc.) Some are getting better though. Now if we could only get them away from the fake craft stuff like Blue Moon, Shock Top and Leinenkugels.Murderstyle75

So a Jamacian, Dutch, Australian and a couple of Canadian beers are American swill? I am sure that the respective brewers of those beers will be glad to hear that.

They are foreign imports marketed to Americans. People in those countries don't generally drink that shit and it is all classified as American Adjunct Lager. Red Stripe is not a Jamican beer. Only brewed there. And for the record, Molson & Coors is the exact same company. You guys are fools for marketing campaigns and the catchy story on the bottle. Even with other crappy popular styles. Do you really think American Guinness is brewed in Dublin Ireland like real Guinness? Its made in Ontario Canada by Labatt. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/221/6 http://www.molsoncoors.com/en/Index.aspx http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/38

Have you ever been to Holland? I have seen the Dutch drink Heineken. Heineken does not have any breweries in the US so yes, it is imported, even if from a bewery in Mexico and it is still brewed according to the way it is brewed in The Netherlands.

At one time, any beer that was imported into the US was regulated to 3.2% alcohol. Regulations have changed some over the years to allow stronger beers to be imported into the US from other countries, hence the explosion of different beers into the US. I remember when Heineken was considered p***water compared to US brands due to that fact. US beers were stronger. Working for a brewing company lets one learn much about policies regarding alcohol. Knowing someone who was part owner of a small local brewery also helps. They have some pretty good beers.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Murderstyle75

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

WhiteKnight77

Have you ever been to Holland? I have seen the Dutch drink Heineken. Heineken does not have any breweries in the US so yes, it is imported, even if from a bewery in Mexico and it is still brewed according to the way it is brewed in The Netherlands.

At one time, any beer that was imported into the US was regulated to 3.2% alcohol. Regulations have changed some over the years to allow stronger beers to be imported into the US from other countries, hence the explosion of different beers into the US. I remember when Heineken was considered p***water compared to US brands due to that fact. US beers were stronger. Working for a brewing company lets one learn much about policies regarding alcohol. Knowing someone who was part owner of a small local brewery also helps. They have some pretty good beers.

And yet in Holland, Heinekin is different and pretty much only sold on tap. Its shipped to the US in those green bottles to give it that skunky taste from becoming lightstruck. If In Holland, the "real Heineken" is on tap not bottled. Why Mainstream European brewers send their beers to America in green or clear bottles is beyond me. But working for a brewing company, you should know about lightstruck beer, what causes it and the chemical reaction that happens. Its essentially the exact same chemical that skunks use to defend themselves.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#107 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Only if it's a silly straw.

Postmortem123

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
Man up and drink from the bottle.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] They are foreign imports marketed to Americans. People in those countries don't generally drink that shit and it is all classified as American Adjunct Lager. Red Stripe is not a Jamican beer. Only brewed there. And for the record, Molson & Coors is the exact same company. You guys are fools for marketing campaigns and the catchy story on the bottle. Even with other crappy popular styles. Do you really think American Guinness is brewed in Dublin Ireland like real Guinness? Its made in Ontario Canada by Labatt. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/221/6 http://www.molsoncoors.com/en/Index.aspx http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/38Murderstyle75

And yet in Holland, Heinekin is different and pretty much only sold on tap. Its shipped to the US in those green bottles to give it that skunky taste from becoming lightstruck. If In Holland, the "real Heineken" is on tap not bottled. Why Mainstream European brewers send their beers to America in green or clear bottles is beyond me. But working for a brewing company, you should know about lightstruck beer, what causes it and the chemical reaction that happens. Its essentially the exact same chemical that skunks use to defend themselves.

Dude you should be a public speaker for a brewery company like dogfish head lol
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#110 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Oh Hell no!

solidruss
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] How many do you know?chaoscougar1

I don't see the point in throwing anecdotal evidence around.  But I think I can safely assume that there is at least one woman in the roughly 3.5 billion on the planet who has, at some point, consumed beer through a straw.  

Yeah
You're approach is much better

:lol:
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Murderstyle75
[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

The_Lipscomb

Dude you should be a public speaker for a brewery company like dogfish head lol

Oh and I agree. Lol. And the funny thing is, those newer Sam Adams commercials where they get into beer science is stuff I have been talking about for a few years. I've probably studied more about beer than any one person should. My next step is to actually start brewing once I move into my new place.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Murderstyle75
Man up and drink from the bottle.m25105
Beer is supposed to be consumed in its proper glassware. Drinking from a bottle is no better than drinking from a straw. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware here is a good read on the subject.
Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

Drinking from a bottle is no better than drinking from a straw.Murderstyle75

This is awesome.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Murderstyle75

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"]Drinking from a bottle is no better than drinking from a straw.Niff_T

This is awesome.

And very true if you know anything about beer. Its all about taste sensory and drinking from the bottle is only intended for mainstream beers brewed using adjuncts. A lot of our sense of taste comes from our sense of smell and if you can't smell the liquid you are consuming, you can't really taste it either. What's funny is how mainstream drinkers actually damn Keg Beer even though drinking beer poured from the tap is supposed to keep beer at its very best. No oxidation and 100% protected from UV light. When you drink something like a Budweiser or even a Red Stripe however, pouring your beer into a glass makes it worse because you can actually smell what you are drinking. This is where the straw comes in to play. Brands like Corona make it even worse because not only is Grupo Modello (50% owned by Anheuser-Busch/In Bev) using cheap adjuncts, the beer is skunked as well because it comes in a clear bottle. Now not only can't you taste the ingredients of the beer due to the long neck bottle, the required lime wedge masks the taste even further due to the 3-MBT chemical reaction to light.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
Sure why not.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#117 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

wouldn't know why not.

I knew a girl that always drank hers "on the rocks"

it was rare for people to make a comment but she did get looks sometimes when she asked for ice cubes in her beer.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#118 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Do you need a bib too?

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Murderstyle75

wouldn't know why not.

it was rare for people to make a comment but she did get looks sometimes when she asked for ice cubes in her beer.

iowastate
Cold temperature hides the taste of cheap lager as well. It will make craft beer taste like shit though.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#120 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

dont drink it because its bad for ur health.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Murderstyle75

sukraj
ORLY! http://www.greatclubs.com/beerofthemonthclub/health-benefits-of-beer.asp
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#122 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="Niff_T"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"]Drinking from a bottle is no better than drinking from a straw.Murderstyle75

This is awesome.

And very true if you know anything about beer. Its all about taste sensory and drinking from the bottle is only intended for mainstream beers brewed using adjuncts. A lot of our sense of taste comes from our sense of smell and if you can't smell the liquid you are consuming, you can't really taste it either. What's funny is how mainstream drinkers actually damn Keg Beer even though drinking beer poured from the tap is supposed to keep beer at its very best. No oxidation and 100% protected from UV light. When you drink something like a Budweiser or even a Red Stripe however, pouring your beer into a glass makes it worse because you can actually smell what you are drinking. This is where the straw comes in to play. Brands like Corona make it even worse because not only is Grupo Modello (50% owned by Anheuser-Busch/In Bev) using cheap adjuncts, the beer is skunked as well because it comes in a clear bottle. Now not only can't you taste the ingredients of the beer due to the long neck bottle, the required lime wedge masks the taste even further due to the 3-MBT chemical reaction to light.

This guy truly knows his shit. 

I wish there was more good craft beer in America. Thankfully, we do at least have Sierra Nevada. And I live right up the road from the brewery. Place has a sweet restaurant, and a bar that serves like a dozen beers they make there, that they don't bottle, and are only available at the brewery bar/restaurant. Love that place. 

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts
[QUOTE="sukraj"]

Murderstyle75

Just like with many other drugs.. Some great things can come from it.. If you do it in moderation.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#124 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
You go to thailand .... the local drink beer with ice-crush/cubes lol ..... but never question them because they might think u insult them
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#125 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

You go to thailand .... the local drink beer with ice-crush/cubes lol ..... but never question them because they might think u insult themhippiesanta

i drink beer with 4-6 ice cubes if beer is not chilled enough :P

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts
Never.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#127 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]You go to thailand .... the local drink beer with ice-crush/cubes lol ..... but never question them because they might think u insult themindzman

one of my passenger ask me to add ice into his Red Wine, when I recommend him that red wine is to be serve in room temp..... he get so offended he thinks I insult his integrity.. lol
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#128 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts
[QUOTE="iowastate"]

wouldn't know why not.

Murderstyle75
Cold temperature hides the taste of cheap lager as well. It will make craft beer taste like shit though.

true she did always drink American beer which is by definition cheap lager
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#129 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12394 Posts
Drinking beer from a straw will get your drunk quicker. It's something girls do when they want to get drunk faster. Not to mention it makes you look like a *****.
stonecold611

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 stonecold611
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I don't get drunk faster drinking beer with a straw though.
Avatar image for FutonSentinal62
FutonSentinal62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 FutonSentinal62
Member since 2012 • 55 Posts

That is unusual. I would have said that I went to the dentist and had my teeth cleaned or something. Atleast you're honest...bitches love honesty.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Murderstyle75
I don't get drunk faster drinking beer with a straw though.stonecold611
That's because its a myth. http://www.discovery.ca/Article.aspx?aid=13488
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Murderstyle75
[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="sukraj"]

The_Lipscomb

Just like with many other drugs.. Some great things can come from it.. If you do it in moderation.

True and even cigarettes have health benefits. I think the big problem though is all the nasty chemicals the government allows into our cigarettes as well as some they force into our cigarettes. http://www.livescience.com/15115-5-health-benefits-smoking-disease.html
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
[QUOTE="indzman"]

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]You go to thailand .... the local drink beer with ice-crush/cubes lol ..... but never question them because they might think u insult themhippiesanta

one of my passenger ask me to add ice into his Red Wine, when I recommend him that red wine is to be serve in room temp..... he get so offended he thinks I insult his integrity.. lol

Ice in wine is a no. But FYI....red wine can be chilled a bit. Room temperature back in the day was cooler than it is now.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="m25105"]Man up and drink from the bottle.Murderstyle75
Beer is supposed to be consumed in its proper glassware. Drinking from a bottle is no better than drinking from a straw. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware here is a good read on the subject.

If proper glasses are available for the beer being drunk (as in different glasses for each particular beer), it is one thing, but if I am going camping or to a party, I am not carrying glasses with me that could end up broken. My Heineken Extra Cold glass is different than my Palm glass which is different from my Brand glass which is different from my Westmalle Trappist and Emelisse glasses. Even my pilsner glasses are different from the others. Most people do not have the right glasses for beer. I would rather drink my beer from a brown bottle than a can any day, or a plastic cup. Aluminum imparts a taste into beer. 

And yes, I know all about how light interacts with beer and how it can get skunky. 

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

How is this thread still going? I think we all know the can is the definitive way to dispense beer into your mouth.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 WhiteKnight77

How is this thread still going? I think we all know the can is the definitive way to dispense beer into your mouth.

Pirate700

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
Only at a gay bar.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

The only time a straw is OK with beer is if you're wearing one of those Foam-Dome hats.

tumblr_mdlyfuNulp1qa934fo1_500.png

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Murderstyle75

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="m25105"]Man up and drink from the bottle.WhiteKnight77

If proper glasses are available for the beer being drunk (as in different glasses for each particular beer), it is one thing, but if I am going camping or to a party, I am not carrying glasses with me that could end up broken. My Heineken Extra Cold glass is different than my Palm glass which is different from my Brand glass which is different from my Westmalle Trappist and Emelisse glasses. Even my pilsner glasses are different from the others. Most people do not have the right glasses for beer. I would rather drink my beer from a brown bottle than a can any day, or a plastic cup. Aluminum imparts a taste into beer. 

And yes, I know all about how light interacts with beer and how it can get skunky. 

Well your glassware certainly can't be used for every occasion however I would drink from a plastic cup before ever drinking from the bottle. Drinking good beer out if a bottle is a waste of money. You are much better off drinking the ice cold cheap adjunct lager stuff which does have its time and place such as an extremely hot day. Even Heineken falls into that catagory. While its crisp, clean and refreshing with a nice mouth feel. Drinking out of a glass is not going to give you access to any complex flavors from ingredients because there aren't any. The skunk kind of mellows out in the taste. Some grassy hops are made present but are still balanced well with a slight bit of malts. Nothing stands out too much and Its somewhat watery. Perhaps a tad more bitter then most pale lagers but nothing too steep.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
as a guy who enjoys an occasional "girly" drink, no its not ok.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Murderstyle75
as a guy who enjoys an occasional "girly" drink, no its not ok. starwarsjunky
By girly drink, do you mean Budweiser?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] ORLY! http://www.greatclubs.com/beerofthemonthclub/health-benefits-of-beer.aspMurderstyle75

True and even cigarettes have health benefits. I think the big problem though is all the nasty chemicals the government allows into our cigarettes as well as some they force into our cigarettes. http://www.livescience.com/15115-5-health-benefits-smoking-disease.html

That, in the grand scheme of things, is a relatively minor problem.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Murderstyle75

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"] Just like with many other drugs.. Some great things can come from it.. If you do it in moderation.coolbeans90

But interesting to me that not only does a country like Japan have the highest life expectancy I believe, they also have the most smokers. In America though, cigarettes and second hand smoke is killing everybody.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] True and even cigarettes have health benefits. I think the big problem though is all the nasty chemicals the government allows into our cigarettes as well as some they force into our cigarettes. http://www.livescience.com/15115-5-health-benefits-smoking-disease.htmlMurderstyle75

But interesting to me that not only does a country like Japan have the highest life expectancy I believe, they also have the most smokers. In America though, cigarettes and second hand smoke is killing everybody.

That is some pretty shoddy statistical analysis.

Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts

i have never in my life heard of someone drinking beer through a straw

Flubbbs
I met a girl who did it once.
CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#147 CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts

Man up and drink...no straw.

louisfoxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#148 louisfoxton
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts

:P HELL NO

Transfer_Point

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Transfer_Point
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts
This topic....... When did straws become unmanly?!Capitan_Kid
If I had to guess, probably because straws are generally thought of as something for kids, or something. I do not know.