Is Baptism required to get into Heaven? (Mainly for Religious people)

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

qwerty2305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 qwerty2305
Member since 2005 • 942 Posts

Is Baptism needed to get into Heaven? I have never been baptized so I do not know what to think.

Some say Baptism is needed to be accepted by Jesus and get into Heaven. Some say Baptism is pointless and just believing and having faith in Jesus will get you into heaven.

I have never been baptized so I am really confused. Some say its needed for heaven, some says its not.

Whats the real story about this?

qwerty2305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 qwerty2305
No answers for me :(
delol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 delol
Member since 2005 • 8793 Posts
Catholic church state that baptism is essential to open the heaven gates otherwise you go to the limbo
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Yes baptism is required. That's why they baptise most childeren when they're babies so that in case they die early, they won't be denied the right to go to heaven.

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts
  I believe you don't because if you have faith, it should be enough.  However, my pastor said there are different levels of heaven.  For example, people who convert non believers and such are on a different level than say someone who believed an accepted Christ.  Baptized are on a higher level than non-baptized and so on...
dazman31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#6 dazman31
Member since 2005 • 2507 Posts
I think you do.....
yamum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 yamum2
Member since 2007 • 5879 Posts
well im getting baptised in a few weeks.
RogerC44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

#8 RogerC44
Member since 2006 • 2504 Posts
No but it's a good idea. In God's eyes it's starting new or something like that.
qwerty2305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 qwerty2305

So just say somebody was baptized as a child. When they turned 20, they began to follow Atheism. They denied the existance of God, denied existance of Jesus, and heaven etc.... They hated God and thought it was all fake.

Would they still go to heaven because they have been baptized?

If I be a good honest person all my life and believe in God/Jesus etc. But im not baptized. Will I be denied entry to heaven?

Vax45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vax45
Member since 2005 • 4834 Posts
I can see it already, this thread is going to be a humongous controversy, except this time it's Religion vs Religion and not Religion vs Atheism.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 skullkrusher13

So just say somebody was baptized as a child. When they turned 20, they began to follow Atheism. They denied the existance of God, denied existance of Jesus, and heaven etc.... They hated God and thought it was all fake.

If I be a good honest person all my life and believe in God/Jesus etc. But im not baptized. Will I be denied entry to heaven?

qwerty2305

I believe you should ask your Pastor or Priest.  They have the most knowledge, and would be glad to help you out on the matter. 

bugtrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 bugtrip
Member since 2004 • 1260 Posts

No but it's a good idea. In God's eyes it's starting new or something like that.RogerC44

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Obviously not, since they don't believe in it. Baptism is a prequisite, not a ticket to heaven.

Yes since it's a prequisite in  the catholic church.  

qwerty2305

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19573 Posts
I don't have the statistics to back it up, but I think that there's a good chance that less than 1% of the world's religions believe that baptism is necessary to go to heaven.

Having said that, if you're superstitious/religious and want to 'definitely' get a place in heaven, it couldn't hurt to try.

I mean, if you're so intent on having a good afterlife, I don't see why you'd try 'risking it all' and only support one of the millions of religions out there, because if there's any truth to any of them...then the chances are that you've picked the wrong religion to follow.
qwerty2305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 qwerty2305
Would it be better for met to get baptized when im like 22 years old? Or as soon as possible?
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skullkrusher13

Would it be better for met to get baptized when im like 22 years old? Or as soon as possible? qwerty2305

when you feel you need to.  I feel at this time in my life, that I'm not 100% committed.

qwerty2305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 qwerty2305

[QUOTE="qwerty2305"]Would it be better for met to get baptized when im like 22 years old? Or as soon as possible? skullkrusher13

when you feel you need to.  I feel at this time in my life, that I'm not 100% committed.

So you havnt been baptized yet? Mind if I ask how old you are? Are you a really religious person?

-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts
And no one is the slightest disturbed that this so called God wouldn't let you enter his playground if you didn't have water sprinkled on your head as a baby? Seriously, if there is a god, he/she/it/they wouldn't give a flying **** about something like that. Oh hey, yeah, you're a nice person, and you rescued some kid from a fire but accidentally got yourself killed by that, lets see if we have a spot for you. Oh hot damn, you weren't baptized, I'm sorry but you're gonna go be tortured for all eternity, so sorry, better luck next time, except you can't repent. Ehehe. Right... But don't forget: God's benevolent!
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skullkrusher13
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

[QUOTE="qwerty2305"]Would it be better for met to get baptized when im like 22 years old? Or as soon as possible? qwerty2305

So you havnt been baptized yet? Mind if I ask how old you are? Are you a really religious person?

No I haven't.  I'm 19, and haven't been to church in about a year. I plan to get my life back on track as soon as I feel I'm ready. That could be tommorrow or a few years from now, I will know when I should recommit my life.  Are you Catholic? Because I'm not.

qwerty2305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 qwerty2305
[QUOTE="qwerty2305"][QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

[QUOTE="qwerty2305"]Would it be better for met to get baptized when im like 22 years old? Or as soon as possible? skullkrusher13

No I haven't.  I'm 19, and haven't been to church in about a year. I plan to get my life back on track as soon as I feel I'm ready. That could be tommorrow or a few years from now, I will know when I should recommit my life.  Are you Catholic? Because I'm not.

Im not really anything lol. I have been to church about 10 times in my life, im 17 years old. I dont think I even have a Religion right now. But If I would like to be anything, it would be Christian or Catholic.

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 skullkrusher13
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"][QUOTE="qwerty2305"][QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

[QUOTE="qwerty2305"]Would it be better for met to get baptized when im like 22 years old? Or as soon as possible? qwerty2305

Im not really anything lol. I have been to church about 10 times in my life, im 17 years old. I dont think I even have a Religion right now. But If I would like to be anything, it would be Christian or Catholic.

theres a big difference between the two.  Its all what you believe.  I would say I'm not Catholic because I don't believe you need to get baptized and purgatory doesn't exsist.  I would say I'm in the same boat as you right now.  I haven't read the Bible, but believe that Jesus is the savior.

PercivalCox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PercivalCox
Member since 2007 • 985 Posts
It depends on the religion.  Some say yes, some not so much.
Harbadakus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Harbadakus
Member since 2005 • 5474 Posts
There are lots of different Denominations, Some think it is required, some say it's not but it cleanses you, some say it's not and it's a way of showing others you have accepted Jesus etc.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#24 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I've been baptised but I lost interest in religion a long time ago. I honestly believe that no one knows whether it matters or not, because no one can know.
Spartan_385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Spartan_385
Member since 2007 • 5195 Posts
I was baptised when I was a baby but I am not religious and couldn't care less about entrance to heaven.
DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
I'm not religious, so I don't know. but I was baptized.
AcidJiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AcidJiles
Member since 2002 • 2885 Posts
lol if you think that a god would actually require you to have gone through some ceremony to let you into heaven you would be a fool. if there is a god and hes in anyway worth knowing and beleieving no ceremony in this mortal relm would do anything for your spirits path upwards
AcidJiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AcidJiles
Member since 2002 • 2885 Posts
[QUOTE="qwerty2305"][QUOTE="skullkrusher13"][QUOTE="qwerty2305"][QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

when you feel you need to. I feel at this time in my life, that I'm not 100% committed.

No I haven't. I'm 19, and haven't been to church in about a year. I plan to get my life back on track as soon as I feel I'm ready. That could be tommorrow or a few years from now, I will know when I should recommit my life. Are you Catholic? Because I'm not.

theres a big difference between the two. Its all what you believe. I would say I'm not Catholic because I don't believe you need to get baptized and purgatory doesn't exsist. I would say I'm in the same boat as you right now. I haven't read the Bible, but believe that Jesus is the savior.

the catholic church recently removed purgatory also how can you say jesus is our saiour without reading the bible although not reading the bible maybe a good idea theres lots of contradictions things that make no sense in modern society and it was written atleast 100 years after jesus's death and none of the disciples wrote the gospels but anyway have your fun.
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
I believe that if heaven does exist, it will have sod all to do with if you where baptized or if you accepted Christ. It will depend entirely on how you lived your life.

Then again, I don't believe in heaven. If it does exist then I shall cross that bridge when I come to it.
Jenovawitness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jenovawitness
Member since 2005 • 2373 Posts

Is Baptism needed to get into Heaven? I have never been baptized so I do not know what to think.

Some say Baptism is needed to be accepted by Jesus and get into Heaven. Some say Baptism is pointless and just believing and having faith in Jesus will get you into heaven.

I have never been baptized so I am really confused. Some say its needed for heaven, some says its not.

qwerty2305
Catholics believe that there is something called Baptism of Desire. Which would be if you were unable to become baptised (avoiding it on purpose doesn't work) and wanted to be, if you were to die, you could still go to heaven. But the truth is... God is not bound by any rule. But the truth is, you really need to be baptised to have a proper chance at it. The catholics believe that if you're baptised and do not have any mortal sins (sins commited with full knowing, and are of grave matter, I.E murder) you can make it in to heaven.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
I dont realy see the point to Baptism :|
Jenovawitness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jenovawitness
I dont realy see the point to Baptism :|fastesttruck
It removes original sin.
Shadow2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shadow2k6
Member since 2005 • 2283 Posts
Who knows, i'm catholic and I got baptised but I hardly ever go to church.  I probably just go on major holidays like christmas and easter but thats about it. 
Jenovawitness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jenovawitness
Who knows, i'm catholic and I got baptised but I hardly ever go to church.  I probably just go on major holidays like christmas and easter but thats about it.  Shadow2k6
There is much more to being catholic than just calling yourself one and being baptised. Many catholics act more like protestants, and don't learn about the teachings of the Roman Catholic church, because they never look deep in to it, and just think that it's christianity with mass.
stitch321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 stitch321
Member since 2005 • 3945 Posts
It's an obedience, rather than salvation issue.You are making a public, official display of your faith. Some people don't get a chance to be baptized, yet go to heaven: "The thief on the cross" ( Luke 23:42-43 )
Avatar image for thenarkallaptar
thenarkallaptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thenarkallaptar
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts
No it's not required, but its a good way too show others what you believe.
GameFreak315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 GameFreak315
Member since 2003 • 28485 Posts
Yeah...Baptism is the key to salvation.  Which really shouldn't be a problem, because if you really believe in God, why wouldn't you get Baptized?
aRE-you-AFraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 aRE-you-AFraid
Member since 2006 • 3234 Posts

qwerty2305
Baptism is not a requirement to enter heaven, only giving your life to Christ. But baptism is a public symbol that you have given your life to Christ and wish to be held accountable for your actions.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#39 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Actually, everyone gets into Hell because of the vagueness of the Bible. Have you ever eaten? Go to Hell. Have you ever slept? Go to Hell. Have you ever been happy? Go to Hell. But if you're sad, go to Hell even quicker.
Account_27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Account_27
Member since 2005 • 13426 Posts
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"]And no one is the slightest disturbed that this so called God wouldn't let you enter his playground if you didn't have water sprinkled on your head as a baby? Seriously, if there is a god, he/she/it/they wouldn't give a flying **** about something like that. Oh hey, yeah, you're a nice person, and you rescued some kid from a fire but accidentally got yourself killed by that, lets see if we have a spot for you. Oh hot damn, you weren't baptized, I'm sorry but you're gonna go be tortured for all eternity, so sorry, better luck next time, except you can't repent. Ehehe. Right... But don't forget: God's benevolent!

So true. Talk about hypocrisy.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts

I believe you don't because if you have faith, it should be enough.  However, my pastor said there are different levels of heaven.  For example, people who convert non believers and such are on a different level than say someone who believed an accepted Christ.  Baptized are on a higher level than non-baptized and so on... skullkrusher13

So heaven is a set of different cliques?

Sounds kind of prejiduced. 

flclisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 flclisfun
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
Catholic church state that baptism is essential to open the heaven gates otherwise you go to the limbodelol
They have revoked that statement and now they say that by living as God wants you to, even if you aren't religous or don't believe in God, indirectly baptizes you, allowing you to go heaven:)
TheManOfChoice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheManOfChoice
Member since 2003 • 4148 Posts
I haven't been baptized and I'm a bastard child....YAY
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#44 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
[QUOTE="delol"]Catholic church state that baptism is essential to open the heaven gates otherwise you go to the limboflclisfun
They have revoked that statement and now they say that by living as God wants you to, even if you aren't religous or don't believe in God, indirectly baptizes you, allowing you to go heaven:)

That doesn't sound like the Catholic Church. I'd think they'd make believing in their god top priority on their list of "How To Get Into Our Heaven".
cpo335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cpo335
Member since 2002 • 5463 Posts
Catholic church state that baptism is essential to open the heaven gates otherwise you go to the limbodelol
what's limbo and purgatory
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
for christians no
bastards12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bastards12345
Member since 2005 • 7194 Posts
[QUOTE="delol"]Catholic church state that baptism is essential to open the heaven gates otherwise you go to the limbocpo335
what's limbo and purgatory

Purgatory in Christian mythology is hell temporarily served. Limbo, in Greek mythology, is a place of forgetfulness in the Underworld. I don't know if it's the same in Catholic tradition.
flclisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 flclisfun
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
[QUOTE="flclisfun"][QUOTE="delol"]Catholic church state that baptism is essential to open the heaven gates otherwise you go to the limboVideo_Game_King

That doesn't sound like the Catholic Church. I'd think they'd make believing in their god top priority on their list of "How To Get Into Our Heaven".

They've changes a lot since the middle ages. They are always thought of as the uber strict Christian but in reality they aren't. The pope himself believes in evolution...
Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts

qwerty2305

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

"The Lord Himself affirms that Baptism is necessary for salvation." 1257

"Baptisim is necessary for those to whom the Gospel has been proclaimed and who have had the possiblity of asking for this sacrament." 1257

"...those who suffer for the sake of the faith without having received Baptism are baptized by their death for and with Christ." (Baptisim of blood.) 1258

"For catachumens who die before their Baptism, their excplicit desire to receive it...assures them the salvation that they were not able to receive throught the sacrament." (Baptism of desire.) 1259

"Every man who is ignorant of the Gospel of Christ and of His Church, but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it can be saved. It may be supposed that such persons would have desired Baptism explicitly if they had known its necessity." (Baptism of desire.) 1260

"As regards to children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God." (1261)
bastards12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bastards12345
Member since 2005 • 7194 Posts
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"][QUOTE="flclisfun"][QUOTE="delol"]Catholic church state that baptism is essential to open the heaven gates otherwise you go to the limboflclisfun

They've changes a lot since the middle ages. They are always thought of as the uber strict Christian but in reality they aren't. The pope himself believes in evolution...

The pope also believes that Africa should not be allowed to have condoms.