I think I have a personality disorder. Advice?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts

I've been doing online research for the past several months and I strongly believe I have Avoidant Personality Disorder. The problem is I am not sure how to get help.

Just last month I tried talking to my dad about it but he didn't even want to know the name of the disorder. He started telling me about how he was quiet, shy, had only a few friends, etc. when he was my age and I didn't need to worry. He also told me that seeing the counselor would just make life more complicated.

Now with my mom dead and our family hardly ever getting in contact with others I don't know who to turn to. So, I'm asking you guys, what would be my best option?

I'm not so sure about asking my counselor, because I've only spoken to him on one occasion for less than a minute. That and I don't know how I should say once I do go to his office.

GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts
[QUOTE="VanHelsingBoA64"]

I've been doing online research for the past several months and I strongly believe I have Avoidant Personality Disorder. The problem is I am not sure how to get help.

Just last month I tried talking to my dad about it but he didn't even want to know the name of the disorder. He started telling me about how he was quiet, shy, had only a few friends, etc. when he was my age and I didn't need to worry. He also told me that seeing the counselor would just make life more complicated.

Now with my mom dead and our family hardly ever getting in contact with others I don't know who to turn to. So, I'm asking you guys, what would be my best option?

I'm not so sure about asking my counselor, because I've only spoken to him on one occasion for less than a minute. That and I don't know how I should say once I do go to his office.

I don't know my counselor too well, and I went to them with a problem. But if you REALLY don't want to talk to them, I recommend a visit to a psychiatrist. It costs a lot, but they're one of the only people that can help as medication or curing goes. Good luck, GHlegend77
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
Using the internet to diagnose a problem is a horrible, horrible, horrible idea. You're not an expert, and you end up expanding a symptom to something way more than what it is. You think you have APB, but you might just be extremely introverted. A psychiatrist is the only person qualified to diagnose a disorder. It's expensive, unfortunately. If you're talking about a high school counselor, then tell him you have issues at home and need help. He might guide you to a psychiatrist. If you're in college, then you might have access to a free school psychiatrist on campus.
Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
I'd talk to a close friend. Someone that's a good listener. Ever consider you just have an introverted personality? Cause hey, just cause you're quiet, doesn't mean you've got a disorder. To be honest, if you seriously think you've got a disorder, talk to a counselor (most of these people have degrees in Psychology). And hey, you can always simply talk to people. Best way to go from social introvert to adept is to make small talk.
Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
Sorry if I just incoherently echoed everyone on this thread. but yeah. The internet is a horrible resource for medical research of the mental persuasion. Go with a friend first. Then a counselor. Then a psychiatrist if necessary.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Go get some new friends, or go to counselor. Not much else to do. Funny story, the counselor at my former high school had her son in the same school. The kid turned Goth, met some Goth chick, and quit highschool to go get married. I was amazed she still kept her job even though she obviously can't counsel worth a damn. Don't know how much of a help they'd be to you, you ultimately have to fix your own life yourself.
drumbreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drumbreak1
Member since 2008 • 1316 Posts

terribely sorry about your mother but it surely couldn't hurt to visit a psychiatrist, or maybe talk to your doctor at the least next time you go.

Nintendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Nintendevil
Member since 2007 • 6598 Posts

It's easy to find yourself that way when you're a teenage (assuming you are one.) You could get some professional help but it's not guaranteed to work.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
it's called being shy.....it's not a disorder....it's something you grow out of as long as you're willing to try....
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

Well, I'm kind of in your shoes. I'm going to a phycologist in a week to see if I have some type of disorder like Social Anxiety Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, depression, or who knows what else. If you think you may have a disorder, the only way to help it is to go to the doctor.

wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts
It's only a disorder is you really think it is, why what is wrong with your personaliy?
drumbreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 drumbreak1
Member since 2008 • 1316 Posts

it's called being shy.....it's not a disorder....it's something you grow out of as long as you're willing to try....Omni-Slash

You can't tell me that some of that isn't do to the stress as someone as close as his own mother dying recently. and extreme shyness is basically a symptom/effect of this disorder.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts
It you are honestly feeling that you're debilitated by your state of mind, I'd recommend a couple of things:
  • Never self-diagnose over the Internet
  • Opening up to a doctor, councilor, whomever is a tough call I know, especially as you're not offering any tangible affliction for them to diagnose. Just lay it on the line – try and quantify exactly how you feel. It seems you're shy, however what does that actually mean? Are you embarrassed, anxious, lacking in confidence?
  • That's it.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="drumbreak1"]

You can't tell me that some of that isn't do to the stress as someone as close as his own mother dying recently. and extreme shyness is basically a symptom/effect of this disorder.

I can and I will...he's not the first person who's mother has died....nor will he be the last.....people have to stop looking for excuses and take charge of their own lives.....he's more than capable of moving forward and making friends....
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 poptart

Well, I'm kind of in your shoes. I'm going to a phycologist in a week to see if I have some type of disorder like Social Anxiety Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, depression, or who knows what else. If you think you may have a disorder, the only way to help it is to go to the doctor.

dog64

Indeed – doctor first, he'll probably test your thyroid gland output amongst other things, then its off to spank a load of money with the psychiatrist/psychologist – EEK!

VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VanHelsingBoA64

If I talk to my friend would it be better just to ask him how I act/my personality or just tell him about what's going on. We've only known each other this school year and he only knows about what happened to my mom. I am in high school btw.

Edit: At the time that I started writingthe last post was made by F1. Currently reading through other replies.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dariency

[QUOTE="dog64"]

poptart

Indeed – doctor first, he'll probably test your thyroid gland output amongst other things, then its off to spank a load of money with the psychiatrist/psychologist – EEK!

I'm going straight to the phycologist, and we only pay a co-pay of $25. Our insurance pays the rest, which is the main reason I'm going: To try to stay on it.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 poptart

[QUOTE="poptart"]

[QUOTE="dog64"]

dog64

I'm going straight to the phycologist, and we only pay a co-pay of $25. Our insurance pays the rest, which is the main reason I'm going: To try to stay on it.

$25 – wow that's good. Good luck old goose!

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

it's called being shy.....it's not a disorder....it's something you grow out of as long as you're willing to try....

Omni-Slash

Agreed. With years of experience like yours, there is no doubt in my mind you were able to accurately diagnose his issue by reading a single forum post. Bartender, a round of Nobel Prizes for my friend!

Anyway, you should talk to your doctor, or at the very least your school counsellor. They're the ones who actually know what the **** they're talking about.

DragoonSaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DragoonSaber
Member since 2009 • 536 Posts

don´t go to a doctor you may get stimaize and lose your status!

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
See a psychologist.
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dariency

At the same time, though, I should mention that just because you're not totally happy with the way you are or your friends/family aren't happy with the way you are doesn't mean that you have a disorder. Some people are more quiet than others and keep to themselves. If you don't feel anxious around others or don't feel like people are judging you and such, you probably don't have any "disorder", it's just your personality; who you are.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

Agreed. With years of experience like yours, there is no doubt in my mind you were able to accurately diagnose his issue by reading a single forum post. Bartender, a round of Nobel Prizes for my friend!

Anyway, you should talk to your doctor, or at the very least your school counsellor. They're the ones who actually know what the **** they're talking about.

you're right...go to a doctor and have him take your money because you decided to self diagnose on website...brilliant...while you're at it swing by Web MD and make sure to contact your doctors and get your cancer, diabetes and hemmoroids taken care of...... I'm not against going to a doctor for diagnosis....but dear god don't read a sentence off the web and assume you're stricken with anything.....especially the field of psychology which is becoming more and more of a joke....
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a minor case of hypochondriasis.
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 poptart

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

Omni-Slash

you're right...go to a doctor and have him take your money because you decided to self diagnose on website...brilliant...while you're at it swing by Web MD and make sure to contact your doctors and get your cancer, diabetes and hemmoroids taken care of...... I'm not against going to a doctor for diagnosis....but dear god don't read a sentence off the web and assume you're stricken with anything.....especially the field of psychology which is becoming more and more of a joke....

Psychology's helpful, just a little inconsistent and lacking in standardization when it comes to practical application and treatment. Its useful when used in conjunction with Psychiatry, which to be fair is open to its fair share of criticism (and inconsistency) as well…

VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VanHelsingBoA64

For anyone asking me to elaborate on my personality:

First of all I'd like to say that trying to write a good explanation of my past is quite hard for me to do, so sorry for this all seems rather cluttered/hard to read.

To start off with, I firmly believe that one of the reasons I am who I am is my father. Growing up I remember getting a lot of "negative feedback" from him. Even to this day he gets angry with me for the smallest things, like wearing my socks indoors, leaving the light on in my bedroom, forgetting to fix my bed, not folding the wash towel correctly, things my brothers do, etc. Even if I tried to fix one thing he would something else to insult me and my intelligence about later. As a result I don't speak to my dad unless I have to.

However I thought that if I couldn't make my father proud through these small tasks I could do it through someother means. I have varying interests including basketball, soccer, drawing, guitar, and a 4.2 GPA. Even with all these things it seems like my dad tries his best to seem disinterested and even the few times he says "good job" he justs goes back to what he was doing and it seems like he doesn't really care.

This doesn't usually end up translating well to school. I usually end up keeping to myself a lot. People in a few of my classes have even claimed to have never heard my voice. I think I end up over analyzing social situations and worrying about what other people think. Because of this it is very difficult for me to start conversations and even something like another person not saying anything when I greet them ends up with me reviewing what happened over and over to figure out what went "wrong." I subconsiouly do this for a lot of my interactions and I truly wish it would go away.

At home it's not much different. I mostly just use my laptop or my PS3 for fun. I don't invite my friends over because I'm afraid that if they find about some of my interests (anime, manga, some games that I own, etc.) they wouldn't want to be friends anymore.

As for my mother I wrote a personal narrative regarding her for English class. I'd spoiler tag it but my HTML is not well-formed.

As the mid-summer sun rises, it brings with it my own call of duty. Most July days would be spent watching TV in boredom or pondering what I would receive for my birthday. However, this year my mother is decaying from cancer and a dreadfully nauseating treatment. I am put in charge of giving her the medicine necessary to counter act the side-effects of chemotherapy, preparing some of her food, helping her move around the house, and gathering some of her worldly items. The process of assistance that had been going on for weeks was broken up by expressions of gratitude (accompanied by my own acknowledgment), trips to the hospital, conversations, and loneliness.

The day was routine, in a way. I aided her in making breakfast: bread with butter, a porridge-like mixture, and tea. Due to her now weakened legs and lungs my mother now relied on a roller, oxygen tanks, lengthy tubes, and myself to move about the house. Luckily, we were not intruded upon by over zealous pseudo-preachers. Their "help" was worthless and even their shear presence bothered me. Alas, we are practically alone. After finishing her porridge and tea along with taking a few bites, I help her back to the couch for rest. I reflect over the days.

Initially, I remember the time that my father called the whole family to the table only a few days prior, just to scold my mother for not eating enough. My entire was going toward one thought: this was not justice. I summoned my will and spoke.

"Mommy is clearing trying her best."

His gaze broke away from her. "I know, Jonathan. But, I want her to know what is best."

The next morning she patted me on the back. "Good job, Jonathan. I know you'll be there to protect me." She smiles. I force myself to do the same.

I try to keep my mind at ease during my break, but memories flood themselves inside. I give in and reflect on the past few weeks: reading off numbers for calling cards that were used to contact relatives from Kenya. Tracking down misplaced luggage's that my other family gave up on. Calling my father to help my weeping mother to the hospital (we later found that the incredible pain was due to a tumor pressing up against her pelvis). Whenever she is within the hospital, our father pushes us to call her every night. Due to the fact that I don't always know what she is going through within the hospital and her mood, I am very anxious and nervous. My doubts are put to rest as she is always pleasant and even a tad bit happy. I remember one phone call in particular where she repeatedly assured me of how proud she was of me. This time I am the one to show gratitude.

Going back to the day on which we start, my father returns home and calls the family to the table. The whole day I question if my deeds of this summer were done out of love or redemption. As my mother and I leave for the dining, she thanks me for all I have done and apologizes for any impatience she had. The closer I come to the table, the closer I come to answering a previous inquiry.

The same fear that I had the day that I learned of my mother's illness (almost a year ago) hexes me.

The cancer had spread throughout her entire body. My mother was doomed.

That day I cried just as I did the day almost a year ago. Except this time, I do not retreat to the bathroom.

"Don't cry Jonathan," my mother whispered. "You must be strong." I instantly come to a revelation: my mother was the most self-less person I knew. Even as she was dying, all she worried about was how well I did in life, and for me to help my brothers.

That night I acted again on my father's suggestion. That night I again begged the Almighty for my mother's life and health. I tried to be as sincere as possible. Unfortunately, this remained and will remain the last time I spoke to Him.

My mother was sent to a hospital the next day. I visited her while she was there. Her condition was terrible and I could only wave. I later found that she would spend most of her time simply muttering to herself, seemingly unaware of her surroundings. I hated this. Seeing my mother broken down was nothing short of injustice.

She died days later. The following days were hardly mentionable. However it wasn't until that funeral day that I noticed how much some of her parting words meant to me.

"I am proud of you, Jonah."

Up until that point, I had considered all the interests that I'd taken part in (guitar playing, art, academics, and somewhat even basketball and skateboarding) were just for the sake of wanting to impress people and have them believe that I was worth something. But, on that day I began to see that these aspirations of mine could bring others happiness and pride. And by doing so I would be able to connect with others in a meaningful way. My mother was one of the few people that I was able to attain such a relationship.

Or at least, that's what I would like to believe.

Tbh, I think I'll give this post to the counselor once I do go talk to him.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
AvPD affects .5-1% of the general population. Odds are very good that you're just really shy.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Talk to your counselor. It doesn't sound like your dad would like the idea of ponying up the dough to send you to therapy.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

Talk to your friend, he probably see you from a different angle then a lot of others do. And maybe you havesiblings about your ageor older?If it is possible for you to open up to family members you'doften be surprised to have a lot in common with them, and they might have beenthrough similar if not the same problemsand managed to deal with it..We all go through various periods in life when things can be tough, some periods tougher then others, some longer.. In the end the only one that can help you is YOU. But others can affect you so that you can, and sometimes thesepeople need to be proffesionals.Good luck in solving this.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

You could see a psycihatrist but I'm not sure anything can really be done about personality disorders.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
It is called being shy...I was shy, im still getting over it but I'm more out of my shell then ever before.
PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

You don't have a personality disorder. This is coming from a 19 year old Physics Major that thought he had Asperger's Syndrome then became one of the most sociable geeks in his local university.

I'm going to give you the gritty truth here, no strings attached, no BS, no euphemisms. This is what's going to happen to you, it might seem harsh on your first reading, but trust me, over time, you'll see where I'm coming from with this.

You are going to dig a deeper hole for yourself. You're going to wonder what your meaning in life is when those that support you slowly leave your life. Things become gloomier day by day, you go through routines and feel like crap, sitting around for hours or days on end with no end in sight. You withdraw from everything you once knew and once enjoyed.

Then one day, things seem different. They are not as they once were before. The way you view things seems to change, as though that they have somehow changed themselves over night. You decide to take a leap of faith that one day and try your hand at something you enjoyed. It feels good, strangely good, refreshingly good. The feeling you get isn't the same as before, it seems to be bigger, more raw, more pure. You take baby steps, slowly re-engaging in everything you used to do.

Weeks or months (maybe years even) pass, and life starts to return to how it was for you. In fact, you feel stronger, more motivated, more full. Indeed, it feels wrong to have this happen after the death of your mother, but most people need an eye opener of some sorts in order for them to unlock what potential person they have inside.

People develop at different rates. You might go through this process in one week or five years, but you will still go through this. Never, ever believe that you are nothing. Your view about yourself affects everything about you. Surround yourself with those that support you, which you may not notice at first, but through time you see that they will.

Things can only get better from where you are now. Remember your mother's last words, hold them true, live them out. Live your life, make something for yourself out of this personal tragedy. And most important of all, never forget who your mother was. Never forget.

Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Assassin1349
Member since 2009 • 2798 Posts

Get a new personality and stick with it. Problem solved.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 poptart

You could see a psycihatrist but I'm not sure anything can really be done about personality disorders.

Pixel-Pirate

A psychiatrist would typically view a disorder as a result of chemical imbalance and will attempt to provide a solution through means of medicine, which can help, even if it's just a case of suppressing the symptoms.

YoJim8obaJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 YoJim8obaJoe
Member since 2008 • 2653 Posts

Do what us proud English gentlemen do and bottle it up

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
You don't have a disorder, you're just lonely. If you ate a lot of pizza, I'm sure there's a disorder you can put on that too. If you're introverted, that's fine, no need to label it.
YoJim8obaJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 YoJim8obaJoe
Member since 2008 • 2653 Posts

First of all I'd like to say that trying to write a good explanation of my past is quite hard for me to do, so sorry for this all seems rather cluttered/hard to read.

To start off with, I firmly believe that one of the reasons I am who I am is my father. Growing up I remember getting a lot of "negative feedback" from him. Even to this day he gets angry with me for the smallest things, like wearing my socks indoors, leaving the light on in my bedroom, forgetting to fix my bed, not folding the wash towel correctly, things my brothers do, etc. Even if I tried to fix one thing he would something else to insult me and my intelligence about later. As a result I don't speak to my dad unless I have to.

However I thought that if I couldn't make my father proud through these small tasks I could do it through someother means. I have varying interests including basketball, soccer, drawing, guitar, and a 4.2 GPA. Even with all these things it seems like my dad tries his best to seem disinterested and even the few times he says "good job" he justs goes back to what he was doing and it seems like he doesn't really care.

This doesn't usually end up translating well to school. I usually end up keeping to myself a lot. People in a few of my classes have even claimed to have never heard my voice. I think I end up over analyzing social situations and worrying about what other people think. Because of this it is very difficult for me to start conversations and even something like another person not saying anything when I greet them ends up with me reviewing what happened over and over to figure out what went "wrong." I subconsiouly do this for a lot of my interactions and I truly wish it would go away.

At home it's not much different. I mostly just use my laptop or my PS3 for fun. I don't invite my friends over because I'm afraid that if they find about some of my interests (anime, manga, some games that I own, etc.) they wouldn't want to be friends anymore.

As for my mother I wrote a personal narrative regarding her for English class. I'd spoiler tag it but my HTML is not well-formed.

As the mid-summer sun rises, it brings with it my own call of duty. Most July days would be spent watching TV in boredom or pondering what I would receive for my birthday. However, this year my mother is decaying from cancer and a dreadfully nauseating treatment. I am put in charge of giving her the medicine necessary to counter act the side-effects of chemotherapy, preparing some of her food, helping her move around the house, and gathering some of her worldly items. The process of assistance that had been going on for weeks was broken up by expressions of gratitude (accompanied by my own acknowledgment), trips to the hospital, conversations, and loneliness.

The day was routine, in a way. I aided her in making breakfast: bread with butter, a porridge-like mixture, and tea. Due to her now weakened legs and lungs my mother now relied on a roller, oxygen tanks, lengthy tubes, and myself to move about the house. Luckily, we were not intruded upon by over zealous pseudo-preachers. Their "help" was worthless and even their shear presence bothered me. Alas, we are practically alone. After finishing her porridge and tea along with taking a few bites, I help her back to the couch for rest. I reflect over the days.

Initially, I remember the time that my father called the whole family to the table only a few days prior, just to scold my mother for not eating enough. My entire was going toward one thought: this was not justice. I summoned my will and spoke.

His gaze broke away from her. "I know, Jonathan. But, I want her to know what is best."

The next morning she patted me on the back. "Good job, Jonathan. I know you'll be there to protect me." She smiles. I force myself to do the same.

I try to keep my mind at ease during my break, but memories flood themselves inside. I give in and reflect on the past few weeks: reading off numbers for calling cards that were used to contact relatives from Kenya. Tracking down misplaced luggage's that my other family gave up on. Calling my father to help my weeping mother to the hospital (we later found that the incredible pain was due to a tumor pressing up against her pelvis). Whenever she is within the hospital, our father pushes us to call her every night. Due to the fact that I don't always know what she is going through within the hospital and her mood, I am very anxious and nervous. My doubts are put to rest as she is always pleasant and even a tad bit happy. I remember one phone call in particular where she repeatedly assured me of how proud she was of me. This time I am the one to show gratitude.

Going back to the day on which we start, my father returns home and calls the family to the table. The whole day I question if my deeds of this summer were done out of love or redemption. As my mother and I leave for the dining, she thanks me for all I have done and apologizes for any impatience she had. The closer I come to the table, the closer I come to answering a previous inquiry.

The same fear that I had the day that I learned of my mother's illness (almost a year ago) hexes me.

That day I cried just as I did the day almost a year ago. Except this time, I do not retreat to the bathroom.

"Don't cry Jonathan," my mother whispered. "You must be strong." I instantly come to a revelation: my mother was the most self-less person I knew. Even as she was dying, all she worried about was how well I did in life, and for me to help my brothers.

That night I acted again on my father's suggestion. That night I again begged the Almighty for my mother's life and health. I tried to be as sincere as possible. Unfortunately, this remained and will remain the last time I spoke to Him.

My mother was sent to a hospital the next day. I visited her while she was there. Her condition was terrible and I could only wave. I later found that she would spend most of her time simply muttering to herself, seemingly unaware of her surroundings. I hated this. Seeing my mother broken down was nothing short of injustice.

She died days later. The following days were hardly mentionable. However it wasn't until that funeral day that I noticed how much some of her parting words meant to me.

Up until that point, I had considered all the interests that I'd taken part in (guitar playing, art, academics, and somewhat even basketball and skateboarding) were just for the sake of wanting to impress people and have them believe that I was worth something. But, on that day I began to see that these aspirations of mine could bring others happiness and pride. And by doing so I would be able to connect with others in a meaningful way. My mother was one of the few people that I was able to attain such a relationship.

VanHelsingBoA64

if your friends would really fall out with you over tastes in games and other entertainment mediums then they not your friend.My best mate loves hentai and he in his 20's and while we do joke about it I'd never fall out with him,in the same way all my friends put up with my love of powermetal and Ranma 1/2 while they hate it with a passion.Sorry to hear about your mum as it never a good thing,personnaly i wouldnt recommend counciling as ive found it a waste of time in my experience.I'd recommend finding something to take your mind off everything as harsh as that sounds

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 poptart

Do what us proud English gentlemen do and bottle it up

YoJim8obaJoe

I say old boy. you're darn well right - chin chin and keep a stiff upper lip. Don't those silly old emotions bother you. Tally ho!

chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts
from reading the wiki, it appears i have a mild case of that. P.S. : this is not something like cancer where there is no hope of overcoming. all you have to do is will yourself to turn your life around. myself, i am very normal around friends, however i am not good at meeting new people, and making new friends, especially when it comes to the type of people i am unfamiliar with. i tend to find some reason to hate people, so that i have an excuse not to try and talk to them and get to know them. i know i have a problem. however i know that it is only myself that is standing in the way of solving that problem.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Sounds like a counselor would help, losing your mom and the dad not really being there.
lyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lyeti
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts

VanHelsingBoA64

Seems to me you are a classic case of an INTP (or possibly INTJ) who had a tough childhood. (INTP/INTJ's are personality types of a simplified personality testing system--MBTI--based on psychological research done on personalities.)

I remember thinking I might have been avoidant, but after doing some research into INTP's and all this other psychological stuff I realised that you are really only limited by your personality type. With the knowledge I had gained, I knew exactly what my natural weak points were, so I was able to improve myself a lot; for example I know realise the "differences" of how different types take in use and do with information and ideas, also much improve my dealings with people and life in general I guess. Summary: knowing my natural personality/psychological flaws helped me a lot on the way to fixing them.

Go onto INTPforum and post your dilemna and this story too, even if you aren't an INTP, the site does have a lot of people who know a hell of a lot about this and a lot of them had just as hard a time in childhood and adolescence.

lyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lyeti

from reading the wiki, it appears i have a mild case of that. P.S. : this is not something like cancer where there is no hope of overcoming. all you have to do is will yourself to turn your life around. myself, i am very normal around friends, however i am not good at meeting new people, and making new friends, especially when it comes to the type of people i am unfamiliar with. i tend to find some reason to hate people, so that i have an excuse not to try and talk to them and get to know them. i know i have a problem. however i know that it is only myself that is standing in the way of solving that problem.chopperdave447

Some people are just like that. Me for example used to be (still am, but not as tragically bad as before.). You have it a million times better than a lot of other people, you just seem to be a bit shy and introverted...

PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

Seems to me you are a classic case of an INTP (or possibly INTJ) who had a tough childhood. (INTP/INTJ's are personality types of a simplified personality testing system--MBTI--based on psychological research done on personalities.)

I remember thinking I might have been avoidant, but after doing some research into INTP's and all this other psychological stuff I realised that you are really only limited by your personality type. With the knowledge I had gained, I knew exactly what my natural weak points were, so I was able to improve myself a lot; for example I know realise the "differences" of how different types take in use and do with information and ideas, also much improve my dealings with people and life in general I guess. Summary: knowing my natural personality/psychological flaws helped me a lot on the way to fixing them.

Go onto INTPforum and post your dilemna and this story too, even if you aren't an INTP, the site does have a lot of people who know a hell of a lot about this and a lot of them had just as hard a time in childhood and adolescence.

lyeti

As a fellow dominant INTP (Although, I have parts of ISTP and INTJ), my own experiments have shown me that people don't have only one type; they have multiples. This is so because of how incredibly diverse a human mind is, considering things such as nature vs nurture, the genes of the parents, etc.

The way you're using MBTI is how it wasn't designed to be used. The types cannot be used as crutches, but more as guidelines. Suggesting him to look into MBTI doesn't really solve immediate problems but it can lead to future insight indeed.

gamer_10001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gamer_10001
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

You should talk to someone with someone that understands psychotherapy. Your counseler may be a good choice, but if you don't want to talk to him there are others you can talk to. Most likely any advice you'll recieve on dealing with any issues you may/may-not have on Gamespot probably won't be from people that would understand this condition at all. Not to mention that you may not have any psychological condition at all, which is exactly why you need to talk to an expert about this.

Judo_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Judo_boy
Member since 2003 • 6063 Posts

I feel like chiming in because some of this is making me concerned. First of all, without going into detail I'm just gonna say I can relate to this stuff, I have a psychology background, and I've been to therapists.

My advice would be to see a therapist and not a psychiatrist. Psychiatry is medical, you seem like you have emotional problems. The one thing that is really bothering my though is that you're claiming that you have a personality disorder. So you're saying that your core being, your personality, is defected. That is SOOOO wrong. It sounds like you have self esteem issues, some emotional hardships that need to be worked through with the help of a therapist, and just plain growing up and maturing. Nothing that you mentioned sounds especially abnormal. Everyone is insecure, don't believe that you have some permanent problem with your personality. Nobody is wired to feel like crap and hate themselves and doubt themselves.

Stay away from psychiatrists and their pill dispensers and find a therapist that you feel comfortable with and can trust so you can get some of these emotions out and learn to appreciate yourself the way you are. You need to get out of the mindset that the personality that you have needs to be changed.

lyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lyeti

As a fellow dominant INTP (Although, I have parts of ISTP and INTJ), my own experiments have shown me that people don't have only one type; they have multiples. This is so because of how incredibly diverse a human mind is, considering things such as nature vs nurture, the genes of the parents, etc.

The way you're using MBTI is how it wasn't designed to be used. The types cannot be used as crutches, but more as guidelines. Suggesting him to look into MBTI doesn't really solve immediate problems but it can lead to future insight indeed.

PunishedOne

I think the MBTI types, cognitive functions, personality traits, right brain vs left brain, nurture, emotional state, environment (personality modes), personas and subpersonas, etc are a giant clusterf**k of interconnecting psychological ideas.

Simplified versioon of my thoughts would be that the MBTI type tells you what your type's stereotype's weaknesses and strengths are. Then if you dig further you would find that generally cognitive functions that you use most and developed most dictate how you are in more detail than an MBTI. However, the MBTI assigned cognitive functions are generally the "normal" mode you use most.

but depending on the environment you are in and people you are with you can change (for example perhaps extroverted is better than introverted for team sports.) So generally the environment can change what combination of personas, subpersonas, personality traits and cognitive functions you use.

Of course the thing is that most people have set changes and in fact probably need to be able to. But these are predictable and usually the word "personality" is used to define a person's set of most shown psychological states.

alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
When I read the symptoms to Avoidant personality disorder I feel like I might have it. But the thing with Personality Disorders is that they are extreme. When we studied personality disorders in psych the prof actually did warn us that we'd recognize some of these symptoms in ourselves and friends, but that doesn't mean you have a disorder. Not saying you don't have it, just some info for you. You might not have an actual personality disorder, but rather extreme shyness. Everyone's saying you should see a counsoler, thats good advice. A social coach might be a good idea to.
bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

School counselors are GREAT help. Just because you don't know them shouldn't deter you. They are there to help you with whatever problem you may have. I know many people who went to their school counselors and they helped them out soo much during school. My ex girl friend became really close friends with her counselor and her counselor used to always be there for any problem she needed.