I dont like How people say merry christmas to me I dont celebrate it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Wear a sign or leave the country. It's how things work in certain cultures.BranKetra
Pretty much, if someone says 'Happy Cinco de mayo' are french people suppose to get offended because they lost a war to Mexico?
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

I think its kinda rude.. I live in canada we should start to say happy holidays not merry christmas I dont celebrate this holiday so why say it to me.. kinda akward..and ignorant to..

I think they shouldnt celebrate it in schools etc work place and stuff...

KingOfAsia

Merry Christmas Judas! Jesus loves you!

KingOfAsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 KingOfAsia
Member since 2010 • 1587 Posts

Wear a sign or leave the country. It's how things work in certain cultures.BranKetra

no it dosen't... you cater to us get used to it ... changes are coming first christmas than halloween... offensive holidays..

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
no it dosen't... you cater to us get used to it ... changes are coming first christmas than halloween... offensive holidays..KingOfAsia
You are a really bad troll. Get over yourself.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#55 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

I didn't delete it. i'm simply not going to quote that mountain of text, copy and pasted from somewhere AGAIN.

I quoted you to direct my comment to you.

Banjo_Kongfooie

Somewhere else???? You mean the Bible. Those are dirrect quotations from the Bible.

I don't care the source. It's obvious you went online somewhere. pulled SPECIFIC lines from the Bible and plastered it on this thread as a reason not to say Merry Christmas. Look. I'm not even Christian, it's not my job to defend Christian theology. I'm simply pointing out that for people who celebrate Christmas, don't celebrate specifically and or only those things you quoted. Not to mention completely ignoring what the holiday itself is all about. To me this is simply a case of being way way way way way way way way too sensitive to peoples feelings.
Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

[QUOTE="xdude85"]How are they supposed to know you don't celebrate Christmas?KingOfAsia

im jewish you idiott.....

Unless your appearance blantantly expresses that you are Jewish (i.e. Orthodox clothing, etc) then its understandable for a mistake to occur.

CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 CycleOfViolence

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Wear a sign or leave the country. It's how things work in certain cultures.KingOfAsia

no it dosen't... you cater to us get used to it ... changes are coming first christmas than halloween... offensive holidays..

What kind of changes? Does it involve more candy?

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

I'm an atheist. I'm a homosexual. You know what I think of when someone tells me to have a merry Christmas? I think of a jolly, old, fat guy wearing a red suit riding a sleigh being pulled by flying reindeer. Never -- not once -- does slavery or stoning or other stupid religious bullshіt cross my mind, especially when you take into consideration that Christmas is largely based on pagan traditions to celebrate the winter solstice...scorch-62

Christmas has become intertwined with Christianity, while some influence has been brought from other cultures and traditions Christmas is not a secular holiday...

Even if it was based off the pagan tradition... Paganism has many flaws and is not secular... The holiday as it exist though is pretty much a Christian and Commercial holiday.

Even if you are celebrating "...a jolly, old, fat guy wearing a red suit riding a sleigh being pulled by flying reindeer." you are essentially celebrating the collective greed of the United States and how we hoard wealth. Christmas represents consumerism moreso than the Christian faith but imo the Christian faith is a large factor in Christmas and while it may have been a pagan holiday... Christians during their conquests converted it essentially.

Also I do not understand why you are bringing up "I'm an atheist. I'm a homosexual." as if those are issues. I never once said that you can not be aethiest or homosexual and enjoy the christmas season. I am saying that there are plenty of reasons for aethiests to hate Christmas. Sexual orientation has nothing do with this aside from the Bible's clear discrimination of homosexual individuals.

Please just fuсk off. You're an embarrassment to humanity.scorch-62

Its good to show where the personal attacks are coming from. Its like when people called President Obama a secret muslim when he was winning.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Merry Christmas bro.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

[QUOTE="nZiFFLe"]

damn dude, does it really matter?

KingOfAsia

yes it needs to be taken away from schools work places and in the public.. no christmas decorations anywhere....its offending

Merry christmas needs to be converted to happy holidays no more merry christmas...

So everyone needs to stop because you think everyone should read your mind? No.

I guess you hate it when someone says "bless you" when you sneeze.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

hes mad cause hes a jew and jews hate anything and everything related to Jesus and Christians

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

ok if you are in canada its still christmas. If you are on the other side of the world its still christmas..Im not a christian and its christmas.i celebrate it because I have my whole life and I like it..I like the music and everything. People now days get all butthurt over everything...funny how its ok for other religions and nonreligions to express themselves but christians seem to not be able to? ..oh and this isnt really for you TC..well..it is but not meant in a rude way..

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="KingOfAsia"]

[QUOTE="nZiFFLe"]

damn dude, does it really matter?

Hatiko

yes it needs to be taken away from schools work places and in the public.. no christmas decorations anywhere....its offending

Merry christmas needs to be converted to happy holidays no more merry christmas...

Well, he does somewhat have a point. What happened to separation of church and state? I'm not an ass and don't care, but fair is fair.
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Banjo_Kongfooie

[QUOTE="Banjo_Kongfooie"]

Noone likes name calling. You say merry christmas you assert your celebration of a very superficial time. Do you know suicides are common this time of year.

If I walked up and said happy suicide season I would offend people. Not many people like thinking about that. Most people who are not Christian do not want christian beliefs hurled at them either.

Happy holidays is the most appropriate term and saying Merry Christmas is innapropriate.

Happy Holidays and Gingrinch is the grinch this year. TC is a reasonable citizen who has issues with religous fundies or those who love the superficial notion to throw Christmas at him constantly.

XilePrincess

Looooool. I am agnostic. I do not participate in organized religion. Please point out where I am hurling Christian beliefs at anybody, especially when I just said Christmas is mostly Pagan and commercial now, and that I am agnostic. I really wonder how I can be a 'religious fundie' if I'm not religious at all. There is very little "Christ" in Christmas anymore, anyway, so using religion as a defense is pretty stupid.

I enjoy gift-giving, good food and spending time with people I care about and I guess that's super horrible to wish that somebody else can share in the goodwill and togetherness this season often brings.

People also kill themselves the rest of the year too. I've been manic depressive since I was 8 and tried to kill myself many times. But I don't want to kill myself every time somebody says "Merry Christmas" to me.

As I said before, if people get offended by my well-wishes and don't like them, they can go **** themselves for being uptight asshats. Just enjoy that somebody said something nice and positive to you, don't turn it into a goddamn battle.

How about instead of nitpicking like morons, people just come together as one and be a bit more gracious to each other in the holiday season, regardless of what holiday they celebrate, or whether they're religious or not? Also, as everyone else said, what HAVE you been smoking, do you really believe the BS you're spouting? You should become a religious preacher if you do, you're built for it.

This is such a joke...

If it is pagan and commercial to you than you should have no problem saying Happy Holidays. Christmas is kind of obviously a referendum to the Christian faith...

Paganism was killed off by Christianity as you all know (they had pretty brutal practices as well). I never said suicide does not occur throughout the year. I would really hope that one would not describe the occurence so casually though. By the way my arguement was that people kill themselves the most during the winter season... So you should not go around wishing people happy suicide season because people do not want to think about that.

Not everyone loves the commercialized Holiday with Christian undertones. Even if somehow Christmas was purely recieved as secular many people do not support the consumer culture it centers around and the corporate domination of the globe.

If you want people to come together say Happy Holidays... Christmas is a divisive term in our diverse country. Say it and use it in your own home.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

So the term "Christmas" should be banned? o.O

What about Hanukkah? Easter? Yom Kippur?

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SaudiFury
[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

[QUOTE="KingOfAsia"]

Fightingfan

Well, he does somewhat have a point. What happened to separation of church and state? I'm not an ass and don't care, but fair is fair.

separation of church and state goes in so far as government NOT culture. does it have to be separated even in cultural terms as well? does that not then step on the 1st amendment? which states the freedom of speech, expression and religion?
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#69 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Their just being nice! They don't know if you celebrate it or not...I do wish they would say Happy Holidays but is this what society has come to? Complaining about the most miniscule things imaginable! :?

Oh brother where art thou....:roll:

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#70 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44689 Posts
Happy Holidays? Nah, I say Merry Christmas, not because I'm so pro-Christian, more like I'm acknowledging it's a secular holiday and Christians don't have complete ownership of it. Saying "have a happy holidays" is just as naive IMO as people might not celebrate anything religious.
Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

When people say "Merry Christmas" they mean: "Have a nice day!"

Not: "Hi, fellow Christian! And have fun celebrating Jesus and all that jazz!"

It's just a saying.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1842 Posts

This again.....WOW. I'm not christian. I don't like christians preaching and trying to get me to be a christian either. I don't know why jews don't like christians and i don't care. Because I'm not a jew either. I DO however celebrate christmas. I don't see how saying merry christmas = convert you to be a christian. If someone says merry christmas to you and you don't celebrate it, all you got to say is I'm (insert religion), happy holidays. I don't see the point in gettin butt hurt when someone wishes you something good. Hell even I say merrry christmas. its what the holiday is called, its what I grew up calling, its a fat guy called santa clause and his magical elves and reindeers and the m'fn presents.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

[QUOTE="KingOfAsia"]

Fightingfan

If someone wants to put up christmas lights at work or in the classroom and noone complains what is the problem, seperation of church and state has nothing to do with it, the government isn't saying that everyone has to recognize this day as a holiday as a law or something. What happened to freedom of speech? I can't say "merry christmas" because people don't like it? I'm gonna say whatever the heck I want and if you don't like it then too bad I already said it. It's Christmas time and if people (not you, obviously) want to be all whiny about it then they can lock themselves away because they can't change the way people talk.

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#74 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts
I'm sure you're the type of person who gets offended with every Tebow interview as well.
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Banjo_Kongfooie

CaptainAhab13

No but the Universal term should be Happy Holidays

Its also annoying when the people who wish you good times... Are the ones who were jerks to you for the whole year or who do not like you. Or they know you are not feeling good so they assert their joy of the holiday over you with a condescending grin. Basically they are telling people how inferior they are and that they are embarassments to humanity.

There is an example in this very topic infact of what I have described. False grins and pleasentries superficial holiday.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Anyone who literally gets "offended" by someone saying "Merry Christmas" to them is living proof that Western society breeds inescurities and low self-esteem. They're essentially saying "I hope your December 25th/break is a good time!" If you're hurt by this, then you need to grow some f*cking balls and stop being so pathetic.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

I say Happy Christmas.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Banjo_Kongfooie is an embarrassment to humanity. He is the perhaps the only atheist I've ever seen take contention with the use of the term "Merry Christmas". Hardly divisive or religiously exclusive, taking that into consideration.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
[QUOTE="Banjo_Kongfooie"]Christmas has become intertwined with Christianity, while some influence has been brought from other cultures and traditions Christmas is not a secular holiday... Even if it was based off the pagan tradition... Paganism has many flaws and is not secular... The holiday as it exist though is pretty much a Christian and Commercial holiday. Even if you are celebrating "...a jolly, old, fat guy wearing a red suit riding a sleigh being pulled by flying reindeer." you are essentially celebrating the collective greed of the United States and how we hoard wealth. Christmas represents consumerism moreso than the Christian faith but imo the Christian faith is a large factor in Christmas and while it may have been a pagan holiday... Christians during their conquests converted it essentially. Also I do not understand why you are bringing up "I'm an atheist. I'm a homosexual." as if those are issues. I never once said that you can not be aethiest or homosexual and enjoy the christmas season. I am saying that there are plenty of reasons for aethiests to hate Christmas. Sexual orientation has nothing do with this aside from the Bible's clear discrimination of homosexual individuals.

I feel this is an appropriate time to bring up the fact that you completely avoided my original question: Do you actually believe everything you type? Or do you know it's bullshіt?
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 CycleOfViolence

I say Happy Christmas.

muller39

Say Merry Holidays too. That'll totally **** with them :o

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I can't believe this guy wasn't banned.
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Banjo_Kongfooie

Anyone who literally gets "offended" by someone saying "Merry Christmas" to them is living proof that Western society breeds inescurities and low self-esteem. They're essentially saying "I hope your December 25th/break is a good time!" If you're hurt by this, then you need to grow some f*cking balls and stop being so pathetic.

Saturos3091

See more proof, all of the arguementum ad hominem in this topic stems from those that favor Christmas's dominance over other hoildays during this season.

Ofcourse those who support saying happy holidays are demons and wimps and need to "...grow some *suggestive expletive deleted* balls".

The arguementum ad hominem does not phase me or any others going against popular support as happy holidays will when out as it is the respectful way to address anyone this time of year. I am fine with being called an "...embarassment to humanity" by some and a "crusader towards a just society" by others.

The fact is Merry Christmas is insensitive and is not a proper way to address people.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
[QUOTE="Banjo_Kongfooie"]Its also annoying when the people who wish you good times... Are the ones who were jerks to you for the whole year or who do not like you. Or they know you are not feeling good so they assert their joy of the holiday over you with a condescending grin. Basically they are telling people how inferior they are and that they are embarassments to humanity. There is an example in this very topic infact of what I have described. False grins and pleasentries superficial holiday.

Why are you depressed?
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 SaudiFury

and a "crusader towards a just society" by others.

Banjo_Kongfooie

This is simply a joke, so don't take it personally. but the first thought in my head was "did you steal that from North Korean propaganda slogans?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

No but the Universal term should be Happy Holidays

Its also annoying when the people who wish you good times... Are the ones who were jerks to you for the whole year or who do not like you. Or they know you are not feeling good so they assert their joy of the holiday over you with a condescending grin. Basically they are telling people how inferior they are and that they are embarassments to humanity.

There is an example in this very topic infact of what I have described. False grins and pleasentries superficial holiday.

Shhhhh you're making an ass out of yourself

Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Banjo_Kongfooie

[QUOTE="Banjo_Kongfooie"]

magicalclick

You are right, we should have clear separation of state and religion. Now, go back to work on 12/25 because you are not suppose get a free day off. You should have used your own vacation time to celebrate religious related events.

I would have no problem working on christmas... Am I supposed to shriek in terror?

I can't believe this guy wasn't banned. dkdk999

Probably will be as forums are essentially mob rule. I am sure enough complaints will ensure my ban from this site. Gamespot is essentially a business and nothing is free. Detracting from a utopian forum of group think leads to the inevitable ban of people. Especially if that said person is in the minority view point.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1842 Posts

CaptainAhab13

Yep. Pretty soon on easter you're going to say "happy holidays". Fourth of july = happy holidays. veterans day = happy holidays. thanksgiving = happy holidays. Some folks don't like america even though they live in america so its offensive. some folks don't like the military so it's offensive. some folks aren't thankful for anything so thanksgiving is offensive. This is the world we live in today.

KingOfAsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 KingOfAsia
Member since 2010 • 1587 Posts

Their just being nice! They don't know if you celebrate it or not...I do wish they would say Happy Holidays but is this what society has come to? Complaining about the most miniscule things imaginable! :?

Goyoshi12

but your trying to convert me... im already jewish i cant go christian.. I cant instantly drop my religion to say merry christmas...

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

I didn't delete it. i'm simply not going to quote that mountain of text, copy and pasted from somewhere AGAIN.

I quoted you to direct my comment to you.

Banjo_Kongfooie

Somewhere else???? You mean the Bible. Those are dirrect quotations from the Bible.

Just fyi the old covenant is not christian cannon... So yeah you fail...
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]

cdragon_88

Yep. Pretty soon on easter you're going to say "happy holidays". Fourth of july = happy holidays. veterans day = happy holidays. thanksgiving = happy holidays. Some folks don't like america even though they live in america so its offensive. some folks don't like the military so it's offensive. some folks aren't thankful for anything so thanksgiving is offensive. This is the world we live in today.

the future of all holidays

Brought to you by

The neutral people.Ensuring no one anywhere can possibly ever be offended in the slightest way.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

KingOfAsia

but your trying to convert me... im already jewish i cant go christian.. I cant instantly drop my religion to say merry christmas...

Surely no one could be this stupid

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="KingOfAsia"]

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

chaoscougar1

He's not. IIRC, he's a troll. Sadly, the mods deleted a hilarious thread of his. I want to find the modified version of his sig.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
I kind of just want to know why Banjo associates Christmas with depression and suicide. Especially about this grinning. Sounds like a personal experience which, hell, I can understand why he'd rage like he does against Christmas and being wished Merry Christmas. However is this holiday is so meaningless and lack a modern universal context, then why the HELL would a non christian be depressed during it?
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

[QUOTE="KingOfAsia"]

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

chaoscougar1

surely you jest! And don't call me shirley!

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
I seriously don't get this. Why do people flip out over how somebody wishes them well?