How often do you support small businesses?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I sometimes goto small local bakeries or restaurants. Also there are a couple local grocery stores that sell meats cheaper than the big chains. That's about it. I too have noticed small local stores hate people who use debit cards. The local pizza shop is really good but charges you a dollar to use a debit card and some even get rude when you try And pay
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I sometimes goto small local bakeries or restaurants. Also there are a couple local grocery stores that sell meats cheaper than the big chains. That's about it. I too have noticed small local stores hate people who use debit cards. The local pizza shop is really good but charges you a dollar to use a debit card and some even get rude when you try And payAutoPilotOn

That's because it costs them to process credit/debit card transactions. Large businesses (such as, say, Pizza Hut) can absorb these costs, or work them into product pricing, better than local small business can. Also credit/debit card transactions keep their money tied up until it can be processed, so it could take the business a couple of weeks to see the money from a card transaction. That's why a lot of small businesses don't really like cards.

dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 dude_brahmski
Member since 2013 • 472 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

I'm guessing he was informing you that there was a 20 cent charge to use the card. It's not costing him personally anything to run it so I doubt that was a complaint on his part.

worlock77

It charges him 20 cents, not me. The price is the same regardless. The costs incurred are typically rolled into the price of the product though - if he's willing to lose his entire profit on the sale by pissing off his customers over a 20 cent transaction charge, he's doing it wrong.

It charges the company he works for 20 cents, not him. Such charges are typically passed on to the consumer anyway. Regardless, that 20 cents is not coming out of the man's pocket. My guess is that you misinterpreted what the man was saying and had a knee-jerk reaction.

The guy probably owned the company based on the post. I've seen similar things with (very) small businesses, including one I've worked for. A lot of them haven't gotten good at simple things like factoring in credit cards and adjusting prices accordingly.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23040 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

I'm guessing he was informing you that there was a 20 cent charge to use the card. It's not costing him personally anything to run it so I doubt that was a complaint on his part.

worlock77

It charges him 20 cents, not me. The price is the same regardless. The costs incurred are typically rolled into the price of the product though - if he's willing to lose his entire profit on the sale by pissing off his customers over a 20 cent transaction charge, he's doing it wrong.

It charges the company he works for 20 cents, not him. Such charges are typically passed on to the consumer anyway. Regardless, that 20 cents is not coming out of the man's pocket. My guess is that you misinterpreted what the man was saying and had a knee-jerk reaction.

My impression was that he was the proprietor. I wasn't exactly shopping at Target. And he specifically said, "You know that's going to cost me over 20 cents to run that, right?" and gave me a dirty look.

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

All the time. As much as i can. 

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]I sometimes goto small local bakeries or restaurants. Also there are a couple local grocery stores that sell meats cheaper than the big chains. That's about it. I too have noticed small local stores hate people who use debit cards. The local pizza shop is really good but charges you a dollar to use a debit card and some even get rude when you try And payworlock77

That's because it costs them to process credit/debit card transactions. Large businesses (such as, say, Pizza Hut) can absorb these costs, or work them into product pricing, better than local small business can. Also credit/debit card transactions keep their money tied up until it can be processed, so it could take the business a couple of weeks to see the money from a card transaction. That's why a lot of small businesses don't really like cards.

Their large pizza is only 12 bucks when I first there and they charged me the extra dollar I was upset. After eating it though its well worth 13 dollars or 12 if i happen to have cash on me (rarely)
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I try to as much as I can.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="Trail_Mix"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"] The people are almost always freaking rude and are priced way too high. They don't have any desire to compete and serve the customers.

Are you talking about Amazon, or Walmart?

I meant the small businesses around here.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Local restaurants every now and then, and I go to this local comic book store at least 2 times a month.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Local restaurants > big chain fast food. Unless its the same food factory providing the same hormone cloned meat
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

depends on the service.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

[QUOTE="Trail_Mix"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"] The people are almost always freaking rude and are priced way too high. They don't have any desire to compete and serve the customers. guynamedbilly
Are you talking about Amazon, or Walmart?

I meant the small businesses around here.

I was hoping it wouldn't be because that sounds like an awful community. No offence.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I support the local beauty supplies. 

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] It charges him 20 cents, not me. The price is the same regardless. The costs incurred are typically rolled into the price of the product though - if he's willing to lose his entire profit on the sale by pissing off his customers over a 20 cent transaction charge, he's doing it wrong.dude_brahmski

The guy probably owned the company based on the post. I've seen similar things with (very) small businesses, including one I've worked for. A lot of them haven't gotten good at simple things like factoring in credit cards and adjusting prices accordingly.

He said he was at a Bulls game. at most major sporting events (at least here in the States) merchandising is typically handled by huge vending conglomerates like Aramark.