How often do you support small businesses?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

How many of you actually go out of your way to support smaller businesses, over large corporations?

Considering I hear a lot of complaints, not necessarily here on OT, about those larger corps destroying local mom and pop shops, I thought I'd ask the question, out of curiosity.

I rarely support them with my business, as it's more convenient getting all my things at one large store/market. There's also the issue of some small businesses not having very good options or item stock.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I very rarely go to small shops unless it is a specialty shop and I am looking for their product. For example. When I get my new mountain bike, I will put it together and take it to a local bike shop instead of Walmart or some place like that to get the breaks and gears checked and adjusted.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#3 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I support them when they have something I want to give them money for.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I support them if they have better prices and service. Otherwise, no. I shop where it's best for me.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
I try to. For instance, the local camera store chain is awesome. There are also some good small bookstores near my office that I frequent. I try to purchase items from the local hockey shops instead of the online stores. Also, my wife and I go to the farmer's market to buy local fruit, veggies, meat, cheese, etc. In addition, many local, family-owned restaurants that we go to often have awesome food and good service, and a more memorable experience than chain restaurants.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I used to shop at a small video game shop as well as a small used book store, but both went out of business.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
Small businesses tend to be HQs for drug dealers and specific demographic niches where I live, so infrequently.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
there's some local restaurants that i frequent more than big chain places, but other than that prices of the same thing is generally cheaper online or at a large, corporate owned store so I end up there.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

there's some local restaurants that i frequent more than big chain places, but other than that prices of the same thing is generally cheaper online or at a large, corporate owned store so I end up there. comp_atkins
Yeah I love small/local restaurants. They're the main small business I frequent.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

there's some local restaurants that i frequent more than big chain places, but other than that prices of the same thing is generally cheaper online or at a large, corporate owned store so I end up there. comp_atkins
Okay I didn't even think of restaurants. I actually prefer small business restaurants over the big chains.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

We try to support local businesses and restaurants as much as possible, as long as there isn't a huge price difference. We prefer the local coffee shop, book stores, and clothes shops, along with the local farmer's market.

iphonegamegirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iphonegamegirl
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I try to support the little guys as often as I can
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
I support whoever provides the best balance between product/service and price to suit my needs, which is usually the large corporations.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
I figure a lot of people just enjoy the familiarity of big companies, knowing exactly what they stock, how much it costs and being able to trust their quality. I live in an area with loads of small shops though and have found them to have a good range of products at decent prices, I would love to support them more often. However they all seem to have terrible hygiene ratings from the council...
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I give no fvcks. When it comes to shopping, I have 0 morals.

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts
Restaurants and bookstores
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#17 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I go to local video game stores every now and then. That's really it.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

I like to shop at big department stores, mainly for the convience, but I try to buy smaller brands when I can (ex. Jones Soda instead of Pepsi). I usually only do this with food though, because big food companies are notorious for using cheap substitutes. I also try to avoid big chain dining.

When it comes to stuff like electronics and clothes, I buy the bigger brands. The quality tends to be much better.

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts
I shop at the bookstores more out of a willingness to support them. Restaurants I go to because they are better then alternatives and less out of a conscious decision to support them over larger businesses for the sake of helping.
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
Normally I just buy everything at WalMart.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I try to support the local economy when I can, but yeah, it's pretty much an uphill battle for them against larger businesses.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

As much as i can, within reason.  I buy my meat from a local meat market, but that same meat market sells ketchup and other things like that for almost double the price of the bigger retailers so I don't buy that kind of stuff from them.  Like to go to the farmers market and buy vegetables.  Theres a guy who sells homemade ice cream out of a cart in front of a coffee shop, so i go there a couple times a week and buy ice cream from him.  Its too bad the government is severely limiting his business by not allowing him to wholesale and operate in other locations.  

dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dude_brahmski
Member since 2013 • 472 Posts

I don't have the money for that sh!t.

dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dude_brahmski
Member since 2013 • 472 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]there's some local restaurants that i frequent more than big chain places, but other than that prices of the same thing is generally cheaper online or at a large, corporate owned store so I end up there. Pirate700

Yeah I love small/local restaurants. They're the main small business I frequent.

Mhmm

This is pretty much the only exception.

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
It is a rarity, most of the small businesses around my area prices are too high.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I never shop at mom and pop stores.  I walk in and see prices that make me laugh, and old merchandise with a thick coating of dust on it still with the full manufacturer's suggested retail price on it.  Customer service is usually stuck in the stone age too.  Want something they don't have in the store?  They can special order it and have it in 2-3 weeks.  Or I could order it from Amazon and have it in 2-3 days, and save ten bucks while I'm at it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I prefer supporting independent business when I can, but most don't offer every product or service I use, so I have to go elsewhere.
Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

Only when they use Amazon as a middle man. There is also a small tackle shop that has high quality, locally made lures. Otherwise the small business owners in this area seem to have issues dealling with the public. We are also at the edge of the oil boom and everyone is gouging as much as they can.

My biggest complaint is the look you get when trying to pay with a credit card. I'm just not paying an $80 fuel bill, or $80 restaurant bill with cash, I'll carry a couple twenties, but there is no reason to carry hundreds of dollars in my pocket, when it will just get lost or stolen.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts
I very rarely go to small shops unless it is a specialty shop and I am looking for their product. For example. When I get my new mountain bike, I will put it together and take it to a local bike shop instead of Walmart or some place like that to get the breaks and gears checked and adjusted.AmazonTreeBoa
lol. Really supporting the bike shop would be to buy the bike there.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
As often as they have something I want for a price I'm willing to pay. As a consumer I'm looking for the most effective use of my money and I don't particularly care about other factors.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts
Being from a smaller community now, I tend to shop locally when I can (and the smaller the better). It usually benefits me more that way as the money is more reciprocal.

Besides, Wal-Mart is miserable to shop at and McDonald's is disgusting.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts
It all depends on what it is and what the price is. Most the the time, mom & pop prices are through the roof and unless its a specialty store, the quality generally sucks such as in a local grocery store. Many have lower quality meats they sell at higher prices. Some are shady as well. For instance, while Kroger puts USDA Choice ribeye on clearance a couple days before expiration, the local store down the street is soaking it in maranade to hide any discoloration, changing the date on the packaging by a couple days and then selling it at an even higher price. Chains are also not as evil as people may think. While there most certainly are chains like Wal-Mart who might be bad for the local economy, other stores like Kroger which I mentioned above push the sale of more local produce, meat and dairy for local farmers than a smaller and more expensive store could even think of. Even my craft Bells beer is a lot cheaper. The mom & pop shop will sell you a 6 pack of Oberon for $10.99 while the chain sells it for $7.99 while pushing a shit ton of product for that local brewery.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
I buy from the local shops and restaurants here and there.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#34 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]there's some local restaurants that i frequent more than big chain places, but other than that prices of the same thing is generally cheaper online or at a large, corporate owned store so I end up there. AmazonTreeBoa

Okay I didn't even think of restaurants. I actually prefer small business restaurants over the big chains.

CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#35 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

I try to as much as I can. That includes shopping for fresh fruit and veggies from a small mom and pop place vs going to bigger chains cause you get better selection on produce. Usaully at a Farmers Market.

applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

Whenever I want to buy something from them.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mattbbpl

Only when they use Amazon as a middle man. There is also a small tackle shop that has high quality, locally made lures. Otherwise the small business owners in this area seem to have issues dealling with the public. We are also at the edge of the oil boom and everyone is gouging as much as they can.

My biggest complaint is the look you get when trying to pay with a credit card. I'm just not paying an $80 fuel bill, or $80 restaurant bill with cash, I'll carry a couple twenties, but there is no reason to carry hundreds of dollars in my pocket, when it will just get lost or stolen.

joehult
That is easily my biggest complaint with vendors these days. I get more and more flack for it. Last season I lined up to buy about $50 worth of merchandise at a Bulls game, whipped out my credit card, and the guy gave me a dirty look and said, "You know that's going to cost me over 20 cents to run that, right?"

I told him that now he was going to lose the entire purchase and I left the merchandise there. I'm absolutely sick of it.
josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

I don't

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I do most of my grocery shopping at the "mom 'n pop" in my neighborhood. Yeah, it's a little more expensive, but a hell of a lot more convenient for me and it's always nice to support locals.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 worlock77

[QUOTE="joehult"]

mattbbpl

That is easily my biggest complaint with vendors these days. I get more and more flack for it. Last season I lined up to buy about $50 worth of merchandise at a Bulls game, whipped out my credit card, and the guy gave me a dirty look and said, "You know that's going to cost me over 20 cents to run that, right?"

I told him that now he was going to lose the entire purchase and I left the merchandise there. I'm absolutely sick of it.

I'm guessing he was informing you that there was a 20 cent charge to use the card. It's not costing him personally anything to run it so I doubt that was a complaint on his part.

KittenNipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KittenNipples
Member since 2007 • 3013 Posts
I try to as much as I can. Allot of them wont take bank cards though or have a $10 minimum purchase limit to use one. As I never carry cash more often than not this is the reason i don't buy from them. Im sure their is a way they can do it without getting charged a ton, even a square card reader or something. That and it always cost .50 to 1.00 more for my daily snacks, which adds up over time. Sad to say but unless they have something special going for their store allot more of them will be put out of business. Then those hard working american business owners will become nothing but some corporate yuppies slave at a wall mart somewhere. Murica.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="joehult"]

worlock77

I'm guessing he was informing you that there was a 20 cent charge to use the card. It's not costing him personally anything to run it so I doubt that was a complaint on his part.

It charges him 20 cents, not me. The price is the same regardless. The costs incurred are typically rolled into the price of the product though - if he's willing to lose his entire profit on the sale by pissing off his customers over a 20 cent transaction charge, he's doing it wrong.
KittenNipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KittenNipples
Member since 2007 • 3013 Posts
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] That is easily my biggest complaint with vendors these days. I get more and more flack for it. Last season I lined up to buy about $50 worth of merchandise at a Bulls game, whipped out my credit card, and the guy gave me a dirty look and said, "You know that's going to cost me over 20 cents to run that, right?"

I told him that now he was going to lose the entire purchase and I left the merchandise there. I'm absolutely sick of it.mattbbpl

It charges him 20 cents, not me. The price is the same regardless. The costs incurred are typically rolled into the price of the product though - if he's willing to lose his entire profit on the sale by pissing off his customers over a 20 cent transaction charge, he's doing it wrong.

I agree. One snapped at me once when I was purchasing drinks saying "You know this cost me money every time" with a stink eye look on his face. I have never shopped their since. Hes lost $1,000 of dollars over the years by now.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Not very often unless you count sellers on Amazon. I don't avoid them because I just love Walmart or anything. The people are almost always freaking rude and are priced way too high. They don't have any desire to compete and serve the customers. Now, restaurants are different. I eat at independent restaurants almost exclusively.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#45 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

once every 9 days.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] That is easily my biggest complaint with vendors these days. I get more and more flack for it. Last season I lined up to buy about $50 worth of merchandise at a Bulls game, whipped out my credit card, and the guy gave me a dirty look and said, "You know that's going to cost me over 20 cents to run that, right?"

I told him that now he was going to lose the entire purchase and I left the merchandise there. I'm absolutely sick of it.mattbbpl

It charges the company he works for 20 cents, not him. Such charges are typically passed on to the consumer anyway. Regardless, that 20 cents is not coming out of the man's pocket. My guess is that you misinterpreted what the man was saying and had a knee-jerk reaction.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
I support whoever provides the best balance between product/service and price to suit my needs, which is usually the large corporations.Laihendi
Usually its the smaller business for me. Does Gamestop carry retro games? No, So they don't get my business. The mom and pop retro store(YES literally they are a family of collectors) offers me a decent selection of old games.
Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"] The people are almost always freaking rude and are priced way too high. They don't have any desire to compete and serve the customers.

Are you talking about Amazon, or Walmart?
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

I am a consumerist so I don't really care about "supporting" small businesses. If they're good enough to be competitive they won't need my "support" anyway.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I shop at/get services from small businesses when they offer me something other businesses don't.