How long can you stay without electricity

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 neo_87
Member since 2011 • 394 Posts
Suppose something wrong goes in your area for any reason . How long will you be able to stay without electricity, , A day , some hours ,a week. As many of you are from developed countries and are probably pampered ,you might have never experienced power failures which are common in developing and 3rd world countires such as mine. I can stayu without electricity without getting irritated easily for a month or so. What about you?
DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts

Not very long

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

The longest I ever went without power was a week. I had no trouble with it, so probably as long as I needed to (as long as there are ways to still get food and water).

neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 neo_87

The longest I ever went without power was a week. I had no trouble with it, so probably as long as I needed to (as long as there are ways to still get food and water).

lensflare15
Thats good to know , I am happy I am not the only one.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
[QUOTE="neo_87"]Suppose something wrong goes in your area for any reason . How long will you be able to stay without electricity, , A day , some hours ,a week. As many of you are from developed countries and are probably pampered ,you might have never experienced power failures which are common in developing and 3rd world countires such as mine. I can stayu without electricity without getting irritated easily for a month or so. What about you?

What country are you from?
Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

Indefinately if Necassary. I spent 2 weeks in a Fox Hole in the Military. No shower, no radio, nothing. Even after that, we still didnt have Electricity - We did have showers though.

However, in the spirit of this question, I have had my electricity shut off in the past - and it was a miserable experience waiting for it to be turnedback on.

Overall though, Humans would exist just fine without Electronics or gadgets. We've got this far over thousands of years without it. Only THIS generation has become spoiled.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts
I can stay without electricity without getting irritated easily for a month or so.neo_87
Do you have any idea how long a month is?
neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 neo_87
[QUOTE="Videodogg"][QUOTE="neo_87"]Suppose something wrong goes in your area for any reason . How long will you be able to stay without electricity, , A day , some hours ,a week. As many of you are from developed countries and are probably pampered ,you might have never experienced power failures which are common in developing and 3rd world countires such as mine. I can stayu without electricity without getting irritated easily for a month or so. What about you?

What country are you from?

India ,btw you didnt reply.
neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 neo_87
[QUOTE="neo_87"] I can stay without electricity without getting irritated easily for a month or so.call_of_duty_10
Do you have any idea how long a month is?

Yeah it is 30 days where I live.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Until my music player runs out of power. All hell will break loose then.
Vancelvany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vancelvany
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

As long as there are other outlets like reading books and meeting up with friends, a piano, and weapons(like blades, a rifke, a crossbow, and an axe) for hunting, plants to care and harvest their fruit, pets to be with, a temperate temperature, a lover to be with, no electricity will not be a problem. Though this sounds like a rural medieval life. :P

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Human beings are the most adaptive creatures on the planet.

It's suck at first, but the reality is, we'd all eventually get used to it.

neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 neo_87

As long as there are other outlets like reading books and meeting up with friends, a piano, and weapons(like blades, a rifke, a crossbow, and an axe) for hunting, plants to care and harvest their fruit, pets to be with, a temperate temperature, a lover to be with, no electricity will not be a problem. Though this sounds like a rural medieval life. :P

Vancelvany
Believe me when I say I live that life in some of the hardest hot summer days when there is a power problem which can even take days to sort out.
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 call_of_duty_10
[QUOTE="Vancelvany"]

neo_87
Believe me when I say I live that life in some of the hardest hot summer days when there is a power problem which can even take days to sort out.

Are you an adult? If so,why don't you emigrate?
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

At least a week I know, but then again I cheated and had a generator.

neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 neo_87
[QUOTE="neo_87"][QUOTE="Vancelvany"]

call_of_duty_10

I have a nice life here, I have friends and family and also I am doing good enough in my business. Why should I move. Would you move away from your friends and family and the place where you have a life for just better standard of living?
F1ame_Shie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 F1ame_Shie1d
Member since 2010 • 1389 Posts

Hmm in some ways it wouldn't matter to me one bit. but I have an electric stove, not gas so that's a problem. I could always BBQ or fire for sure. just not as convenient. I could live without tv or video games for months or more. Wouldn't bother me at all. I really only game because it's cheaper then a lot of my other hobbies.

The only thing I really NEED power for is a fridge, and an alarm clock. Pretty much everything else could go.

F1ame_Shie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 F1ame_Shie1d
Member since 2010 • 1389 Posts

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="neo_87"] Believe me when I say I live that life in some of the hardest hot summer days when there is a power problem which can even take days to sort out.neo_87

I have a nice life here, I have friends and family and also I am doing good enough in my business. Why should I move. Would you move away from your friends and family and the place where you have a life for just better standard of living?

Short answer:yes

Long answer: yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I can live without it though I would be really irritated about it.
neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 neo_87

[QUOTE="neo_87"][QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] Are you an adult? If so,why don't you emigrate?F1ame_Shie1d

Short answer:yes

Long answer: yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

Well then I am not like you.
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 call_of_duty_10
[QUOTE="neo_87"] I have a nice life here, I have friends and family and also I am doing good enough in my business. Why should I move. Would you move away from your friends and family and the place where you have a life for just better standard of living?

Not sure if I would consider my life good if there were power cuts everyday. But different people,different opinions. And to answer your question.... Yes,I would.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
When Hurricane Wilma hit, we were without power for 2 weeks. So I guess at least 2 weeks.
angrules23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 angrules23
Member since 2007 • 854 Posts
However long the battery life of my phone lasts so maybe a day if i'm lucky.
conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
Not for long but since 2 years I have been living in India and with the frequent powercuts this place has I can go for 4 hours without electricity after which I start cursing myself as to why I chose to come to this really dirty country.
neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 neo_87
Not for long but since 2 years I have been living in India and with the frequent powercuts this place has I can go for 4 hours without electricity after which I start cursing myself as to why I chose to come to this really dirty country.conistant
Why are you still here then ,if you hate it so much?
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

Depends. On my last vacations I was climbing/trekking mountains for three weeks without electricity. Well excluding juice in my photo-camera. In daily life I doubt I'd last two days without electricity.

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
[QUOTE="conistant"]Not for long but since 2 years I have been living in India and with the frequent powercuts this place has I can go for 4 hours without electricity after which I start cursing myself as to why I chose to come to this really dirty country.neo_87

I paid my university fees in advance that's why.2 more years and I'll be free.Gonna try to find a job in Singapore or maybe the UK.
neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 neo_87
[QUOTE="neo_87"][QUOTE="conistant"]Not for long but since 2 years I have been living in India and with the frequent powercuts this place has I can go for 4 hours without electricity after which I start cursing myself as to why I chose to come to this really dirty country.conistant

I paid my university fees in advance that's why.2 more years and I'll be free.Gonna try to find a job in Singapore or maybe the UK.

2 years is a long lonnnnngggg time.
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

In UK there are no power cutsand I can't imagine living without power here. When I'm in Pakistan though it's a different story, power cuts are frequent, sometimes they last a few minutes, sometimes hours and sometimes you'd be lucky to even get an hour of electricity in a day but the only time I REALLY need electricity is in summer at night because it is IMPOSSIBLE to sleep with no air conditioning. Also no hot water in winter but that problem is solved now with gas powered water heating.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Power went down for just over 24 hours once. I was practically rolling around in tears on the floor....I don't handle power cuts too well, especially when I have work to do
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Not very long.. 1 second is annoying, 30 seconds I get pretty irritated... If a hurricane were to take out the power, I'd still only be willing to go w/o it 'til the storm passed, then I'd turn the generator on.

Now, if it weren't nine-trillion degrees outside, I could probably go a good bit longer, weeks probably, but I'd be bored as hell. But Florida, I can't deal with the muggyness for very long.

CDudu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CDudu
Member since 2007 • 694 Posts

Indefinately if Necassary. I spent 2 weeks in a Fox Hole in the Military. No shower, no radio, nothing. Even after that, we still didnt have Electricity - We did have showers though.

However, in the spirit of this question, I have had my electricity shut off in the past - and it was a miserable experience waiting for it to be turnedback on.

Overall though, Humans would exist just fine without Electronics or gadgets. We've got this far over thousands of years without it. Only THIS generation has become spoiled.

Xsan3

Imagine hospitals without electricity.

I have spent 12 hours without electricity.

Luckily where l live natural disasters are rare.

Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

Based on the supplies (canned food and water) we always make sure we have on hand, we can go for about 30 days.

We have a 'wind-up' radio to keep informed.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Went about a week in the dead of winter without power. I was bored, but had enough battery charged up on everything to play my DS and listen to my iPod, plus I could walk over to my neighbor's house accross the street to recharge :P. I could survive a while, I'd just be so mindnumbingly bored.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#35 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

i've done 3 months straight

weed helped a lot

kerk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 kerk12
Member since 2010 • 1580 Posts

lensflare15

Yeah. I have to agree with you. 2 years ago there was a power outage in the whole island. It lasted for 1 week. Picture:

[spoiler] linky [/spoiler]

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

as long as i have too, but i'd be very miserable at first because i'm "pampered"

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

[QUOTE="lensflare15"]The longest I ever went without power was a week. I had no trouble with it, so probably as long as I needed to (as long as there are ways to still get food and water).

kerk12

Yeah. I have to agree with you. 2 years ago there was a power outage in the whole island. It lasted for 1 week. Picture:

[spoiler] linky [/spoiler]

you live in kefalonia? Went there on holiday once, it was lovely.

kerk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 kerk12
Member since 2010 • 1580 Posts

Damn WYSIWYG editor.

@Overlord93: Yeah. Glad you find it lovely.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts
I have no way of knowing that without living it. I doubt very long.
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

i've done 3 months straight

weed helped a lot

BiancaDK

Funny you should say. The other day I was talking to a coworker about a topic very much like this and I realized that while I'm pretty well stocked food, water, radio, batteries and first-aid wise, it would probably be a good idea to stock up on booze as well.

Hammstray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Hammstray
Member since 2010 • 890 Posts

Well, my iPad's battery lasts a good couple hours. So, that is my answer, a good couple hours.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

not very well, if i can't connect to the internet for like two hours i get really frustrated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

Electricity's overrated...

vito_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 vito_128
Member since 2006 • 7136 Posts
Gimme people that are not my family, and stuff to do, and I'll be fine for a month, at month number 3 i'll adapt. The inbetween period i'll probably go nuts.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I lived without power, running water, plumbing or even a ****ing address from the age of 5 until i was in the 3rd grade. So whats that? 5 years or so?

Yeah. My answer would be "5 years or so".

neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 neo_87

I lived without power, running water, plumbing or even a ****ing address from the age of 5 until i was in the 3rd grade. So whats that? 5 years or so?

Yeah. My answer would be "5 years or so".

Alter_Echo
Why what happened?
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
I've gone 4 weeks... hurricanes brahs
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts
I didn't pay my power bill back in 2008 and my power was cut off for a month and a half during the summer. I don't ever want that again.
Solid_Sterb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Solid_Sterb
Member since 2010 • 1703 Posts

Depends what time of year it is. In summer, I could probably go for a month, maybe more without electricity.

However, in winter, it gets below zero here frequently, and without electricity, I'm not sure how warm I'd be.