How does the rest of the world view Canada?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

I'm a Canadian citizen, and in all honestly, I haven't left Canada more than a couple times, and both those trips were brief.

There seems to be a lot of propaganda in the Canadian media, trying to show Canada as the "Knight in shining armor" of the world, as the people that everyone loves, and that does nothing but help the world.

Now, I'm not saying that's true or false, but some of the stuff that we're taught in our educational system seems so much so in our favour that I honestly think it has to be at least a bit exaggerated.

So here's what I'm asking, for those of you that live outside of Canada:

How do most people from YOUR country see Canada?

I know this is a risque topic, so I'm asking for no derogatory comments or racism, please keep it polight and clean, so that this topic doesn't get shut down.

I'm just really curious to see how Canada is viewed on an international level.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
I think you guys are weird. What with yer hockey and igloos and mooses and maple syrup! :o
almightybob14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 almightybob14
Member since 2006 • 253 Posts
...knight in shining armor?... Not quite, personally I see canada as a place to move to if Hillary Clinton becomes president of the US
almightybob14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 almightybob14
Member since 2006 • 253 Posts

I think you guys are weird. What with yer hockey and igloos and mooses and maple syrup! :omegagene

hey hockey is the greatest sport ever and mooses are cute but I agree with you about the igloos and maple syrup 

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Big_Red_Button

[QUOTE="megagene"]I think you guys are weird. What with yer hockey and igloos and mooses and maple syrup! :oalmightybob14

hey hockey is the greatest sport ever and mooses are cute but I agree with you about the igloos and maple syrup 

Although it is true that the northern territories of Canada (Yukon, N/W Territories, etc) are extremely cold, very few people live in those areas.

The vast majority of the population (roughly around 90%) actually live in the southern parts of Canada, where it's not too warm or cold... Hell, this year it only snowed for a few weeks where I live, and it's getting pretty how atm.

It's probably not as warm as most of the states, but it's definitely not even close to igloo conditions.

BuddyAces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BuddyAces
Member since 2007 • 401 Posts
I love Canada, it seems like a place I definitly wouldn't mind living in.
MadeInFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MadeInFinland
Member since 2006 • 1327 Posts

I think you guys are weird. What with yer hockey and igloos and mooses and maple syrup! :omegagene

I'm Canadian too and:

Hockey ------- Woot

Igloos ------- I own 4

Mooses ------ We eat their meat and make carpets out of their fur

Maple Syrup ------- takes alot of time to boil the sap down...

Lol, jk. Hockey is sweet, I've never seen an Igloo be4, we hit a moose once (the poor car), and it does take a long time to boil down sap to make maple syrup.

BTW - U forgot about our Canadian BEER

(and the french)

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

[QUOTE="megagene"]I think you guys are weird. What with yer hockey and igloos and mooses and maple syrup! :oalmightybob14

I'm just being a jackass. I'm Canadian...Born and raised in Toronto.

MadeInFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MadeInFinland
[QUOTE="almightybob14"]

[QUOTE="megagene"]I think you guys are weird. What with yer hockey and igloos and mooses and maple syrup! :omegagene

Pfft. Toronto.

lol, jk, BC, woot!

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Well being from the US, at least around here, it seems like people see Canada as just a complete pacifist in everything to do with the rest of the world. I'm not talking about military might, I mean with everything. I get the impression that most people think of Canada as insignificant. I live in the southeast US.

Edit: I don't entirely agree with what I posted, but I believe most around here do.  I wouldn't mind living in Canada myself.  I've visited Niagara Falls and Quebec City and enjoyed it... well, didn't enjoy Niagara Falls too much, seemed like the whole town was the red light district. 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts

Hockey and igloos are okay....but maple syrup...meh!

As for what is thought of Canada....ah nice enough people....not too involved though.

Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Apollo5000
Member since 2005 • 18782 Posts
I'm Scottish and i love Canada and the whole notion of being in Canada. Beautiful country too.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Canada is viewed as a western country by the rest of the world.
MadeInFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MadeInFinland

We own Magnetic North, but we're in the process of giving it to Russia.

Rhys555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Rhys555
Member since 2005 • 2156 Posts

I'm a Canadian citizen, and in all honestly, I haven't left Canada more than a couple times, and both those trips were brief.

There seems to be a lot of propaganda in the Canadian media, trying to show Canada as the "Knight in shining armor" of the world, as the people that everyone loves, and that does nothing but help the world.

Now, I'm not saying that's true or false, but some of the stuff that we're taught in our educational system seems so much so in our favour that I honestly think it has to be at least a bit exaggerated.

So here's what I'm asking, for those of you that live outside of Canada:

How do most people from YOUR country see Canada?

I know this is a risque topic, so I'm asking for no derogatory comments or racism, please keep it polight and clean, so that this topic doesn't get shut down.

I'm just really curious to see how Canada is viewed on an international level.

Big_Red_Button

Well, im frm britain and er, i dont hear of canada much, but anything a do hear isn't bad :)

trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#16 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
[QUOTE="megagene"][QUOTE="almightybob14"]

[QUOTE="megagene"]I think you guys are weird. What with yer hockey and igloos and mooses and maple syrup! :oMadeInFinland

Pfft. Toronto.

lol, jk, BC, woot!

Im BC too! Burnaby!! ( right beside Vancouver ). I love hockey, Ive never seen a moose, Ive never seen an igloo, and I like maple syrup on waffles and pancakes :D lol. 

Avatar image for BEAN_LARD_MULCH
BEAN_LARD_MULCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BEAN_LARD_MULCH
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

We own Magnetic North, but we're in the process of giving it to Russia.

MadeInFinland

I oppose that.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
People always forget about Canada. They're too busy hating on the US :lol:
nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts

:o

[spoiler]  [/spoiler]

Avatar image for BEAN_LARD_MULCH
BEAN_LARD_MULCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BEAN_LARD_MULCH
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

:o

[spoiler]  [/spoiler]

nickmag

I remember bagged milk!!! I only saw it in ontario.
leegar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 leegar88
Member since 2006 • 5307 Posts
I don't really have a problem with Canadians, but I don't see why some of them have a problem with Americans. 
MadeInFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MadeInFinland
[QUOTE="MadeInFinland"][QUOTE="megagene"][QUOTE="almightybob14"]

[QUOTE="megagene"]I think you guys are weird. What with yer hockey and igloos and mooses and maple syrup! :otrav_have

Pfft. Toronto.

lol, jk, BC, woot!

Im BC too! Burnaby!! ( right beside Vancouver ). I love hockey, Ive never seen a moose, Ive never seen an igloo, and I like maple syrup on waffles and pancakes :D lol. 

Campbell River (Vancouver Islander)

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Big_Red_Button

I don't really have a problem with Canadians, but I don't see why some of them have a problem with Americans. leegar88

I have no problem with the US... In fact, one of my best friends moved here from there.

I actually get annoyed when Canadians start going on  about hating the US, but claiming not to be racists.

It goes like this, 90% of the time I do it (try it yourself Canadians):

Me: Are you a racist?

Them: No, racism is a form of ignorance, and shouldn't exist in this modern world.

Me: So you have no problem with Americans?

Them: Americans are dumb! They voted for Bush!!!

Then I explain to them that even if they hate bush, the majority of the US population didn't vote for him, because not even half of the US population votes, so that means that bush got the majority of the fraction of the US population that bothered to vote.

I dislike Bush too, but I hold no grudge against the entire US, that would be racist and unfair.

MadeInFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MadeInFinland

[QUOTE="leegar88"]I don't really have a problem with Canadians, but I don't see why some of them have a problem with Americans. Big_Red_Button

I have no problem with the US... In fact, one of my best friends moved here from there.

I actually get annoyed when Canadians start going on  about hating the US, but claiming not to be racists.

Them: No, racism is a form of ignorance, and shouldn't exist in this modern world.

Then I explain to them that even if they hate bush, the majority of the US population didn't vote for him, because not even half of the US population votes, so that means that bush got the majority of the fraction of the US population that bothered to vote.

I dislike Bush too, but I hold no grudge against the entire US, that would be racist and unfair.

Bush is the one American I dislike. And the ones that don't like Canadians. The rest are cool though.8)

leegar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 leegar88
Member since 2006 • 5307 Posts

[QUOTE="leegar88"]I don't really have a problem with Canadians, but I don't see why some of them have a problem with Americans. Big_Red_Button

That is alright but technically they aren't being racist, they are just ignorant but I know all you Canucks aren't like that. 

Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts
Ok I suppose.
Darth_Julian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Darth_Julian
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts

As an American, we generally view Canadians as our ****

...Kidding. :D

Americans think that you guys are obsessed with hockey and that French Canadians are wierd. But we like maple syrup and all know the Mounties are quite possibly one of the coolest things in existence.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts

I keep forgetting what words to use. So just read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Americanism#The_Americas
I'm pretty sure that's not the right article for the last question, but whatever. Someone said "Canada is basically our hat..." in a thread awhile ago. I think people don't think about Canada until someone comes up and touts a question.

mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts
Snow, tall pine trees, ice hockey
Taegukki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Taegukki
Member since 2005 • 13241 Posts
Well, ive been to Canada and it was beautiful. The scenery was nice, the people were nice and it just looked like a really nice place to live. I plan on moving there as soon as I have finished university. I live in New Zealand BTW, and Canada is MUCH nicer.
cjdaweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 cjdaweasel
Member since 2004 • 1560 Posts

How does the rest of the world view Canada?

Mild Disinterest. Which is not altogether a bad thing. 

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts

I don't really have a problem with Canadians, but I don't see why some of them have a problem with Americans. leegar88

Well take my Canadian town for an example. The only murder in the last 30 years was committed by a guy from the US. 

I generally don't have a problem with people from the US though, but it seems like a lot of messed up stuff occurs down there and it makes me uneasy a lot of the time.

And by the way Canadians are also Americans seeing as we are located in North America.

darkodonnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darkodonnie
Member since 2007 • 2384 Posts
I like Canada, if I had to for some reason move from the U.S., Canada would probably be my #1 choice to move to
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
B.C. has pot.  Lots of pot.  I live in Salmon Arm btw.
MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
im an American and i think that you Canadians are Pacifists and try to stay out of confrontation. That is why i like you guys so much and why i think that all Canadians are awesome. :)
Giovanni19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Giovanni19
Member since 2005 • 2744 Posts
I like Canada,I think it's a nice country and Canadian beer OWNS!:D By the way,I'm american.;)
krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 krystians
Member since 2004 • 3577 Posts
VIVA CANADA, AND VIVA VANCOUVER!!!  WHERE IS CANUCK3000???
mrxb0x360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrxb0x360
Member since 2005 • 5253 Posts

...knight in shining armor?... Not quite, personally I see canada as a place to move to if Hillary Clinton becomes president of the USalmightybob14

You just gave me a great idea.

SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

I have never heard anything bad about Canada.  We sometimes joke around and call Canada, Canadia (not sure why) but it never turns into calling Canadians names in fact I have never heard a racial dergatory that means a Canadian.  Can't say the same for our neighbors to the south. (Yes I am from the US). I think Canadians are a respectable people.  They have never pissed anyone off.

I love Canadian Bacon both the food and the movie.

And the Canadian part of Call of Duty 3 was the only part I really enjoyed. 

One thing I don't like is the paper work that has to be filled out in order to be a US citizen and work in Canada. I dont like paper work. So I never got the GIS position in Vancouver.

camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts

Well being from California, I can tell you almost no one really thinks of Canada. Hardly ever. Therefore hardly anything comes up against or really for you guys. I think most students at my high school can't even name 3 of your provinces let alone the capital (I can).

Put it this way. No one in California has anything against Canada. 

stkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 stkr
Member since 2006 • 6118 Posts
Well when I actually do think about Canada (rarely) I think about expansive national parks and mountains along with abundant wildlife. The only places I ever hear about are Quebec and Toronto. I'm supposed to be flying to Canada in July as my first international vacation, though :D. Can't wait. I'm thinking there is more to it than what I hear about :lol:.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

im an American and i think that you Canadians are Pacifists and try to stay out of confrontation. That is why i like you guys so much and why i think that all Canadians are awesome. :)MichaeltheCM

That stereotype isn't really true. Canada has played a major role in peace-keeping for many decades. What we try to avoid is aggressive military operations, like invasions. We also place much less emphasis on military development than most other first world countries. Frankly, that suits me just fine. I'd much rather the money be spent helping people and bettering society than researching new, more efficient ways to kill people. There are plenty of other countries doing that anyways.

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts

Candians are generally too goody-goody for me to like them.  Also, they have a lame sense of humor, and are generally a bit on the annoying side by how indifferent they seem to act.  All of this is my opinion of course.   

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pianist

Candians are too goody-goody for me to like them. Also, they have a lame sense of humor, and are generally a bit on the annoying side by how indifferent they seem to act. All of this is my opinion of course.

skullkrusher13

We're talking about Canada, not 'Candiland.' :P  I'm not sure why our sense of humour is 'lame,' since our country mostly consumes American entertainment.  So I suppose you find your own sense of humour lame, then.

camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts

[QUOTE="leegar88"]I don't really have a problem with Canadians, but I don't see why some of them have a problem with Americans. PS2_ROCKS

Well take my Canadian town for an example. The only murder in the last 30 years was committed by a guy from the US.

I generally don't have a problem with people from the US though, but it seems like a lot of messed up stuff occurs down there and it makes me uneasy a lot of the time.

And by the way Canadians are also Americans seeing as we are located in North America.

I never understood why that offends you guys. Honestly, I know we're both on North America, but does it sound disregarding towards you guys to have us called Americans? The way I see it is that we're called Americans because there isn't any other name we can have. USA'ans? Staters? US Americans?
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts

"We're talking about Canada, not 'Candiland.'   I'm not sure why our sense of humour is 'lame,' since our country mostly consumes American entertainment.  So I suppose you find your own sense of humour lame, then.

meh, fine.  I'd say the world views Canada as America Jr.   And as for the lame comment.  It just seems that their sense of humor is a bit cornier than Americas.  I agree, America does have a lot of corny comedy to fit the family demographic.  Oh yea, and Mike Myers isn't funny at all.

stkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 stkr
Member since 2006 • 6118 Posts
[QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"]

[QUOTE="leegar88"]I don't really have a problem with Canadians, but I don't see why some of them have a problem with Americans. camreeno360

I generally don't have a problem with people from the US though, but it seems like a lot of messed up stuff occurs down there and it makes me uneasy a lot of the time.

I never understood why that offends you guys. Honestly, I know we're both on North America, but does it sound disregarding towards you guys to have us called Americans? The way I see it is that we're called Americans because there isn't any other name we can have. USA'ans? Staters? US Americans?

:lol: We're called Americans because we're in the United States of America. When Canada tags on United Province of America to it's name then I'll call them "Americans". We're all in North America, but only Americans are in America. I never realized how weird "America" sounds.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pianist

meh, fine. I'd say the world views Canada as America Jr.

skullkrusher13

That would be the correct (albeit inaccurate) assumption. 

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 pianist
[QUOTE="pianist"][QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

Candians are too goody-goody for me to like them. Also, they have a lame sense of humor, and are generally a bit on the annoying side by how indifferent they seem to act. All of this is my opinion of course.

MichaeltheCM

We're talking about Canada, not 'Candiland.' :P

lol im pretty sure that skullrusher is from America (proof based on the "goody-good" comment and his typo's (lack of education or at least a poor one at that)

:lol: 

It begins...Â