How do I save my friend from the darkness?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

There's this girl. We've been friends for a long time now and I learned she almost committed suicide and cuts herself every now and then because she's sad that her grandpa died a long time ago. I don't know what to do. She doesn't want to see anyone for help and I really wanna help her because it makes me sad knowing how much pain she's in on the inside. What do I do?

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

not much you can do if she's not willing to help herself. just make sure she knows you are there for her, but don't come on too strong about it.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

How old is she?

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
Tell her to see a shrink. Anything you do otherwise can harm her, if you play pocket-shrink.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
In situations like that, people pretty much have to help themselves. Since she's unwilling to seek professional help, it's up to her. Just let her know that you're there for her and that you care. Even if you can't necessarily help her, knowing that you're there will certainly be comforting for her.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Capitan_Kid

In situations like that, people pretty much have to help themselves. Since she's unwilling to seek professional help, it's up to her. Just let her know that you're there for her and that you care. Even if you can't necessarily help her, knowing that you're there will certainly be comforting for her.t3hrubikscube

Dang. So theres nothing else I can do? I hate this uselessness.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]In situations like that, people pretty much have to help themselves. Since she's unwilling to seek professional help, it's up to her. Just let her know that you're there for her and that you care. Even if you can't necessarily help her, knowing that you're there will certainly be comforting for her.Capitan_Kid

don't worry, man, she'll get over it.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Deihjan

Capitan_Kid
I'm sorry, but the best you can do is just being there for her. If you tell her you'll be there for her, I'm sure she'll come around at one point, and be willing to see a professional.
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

There's this girl. We've been friends for a long time now and I learned she almost committed suicide and cuts herself every now and then because she's sad that her grandpa died a long time ago. I don't know what to do. She doesn't want to see anyone for help and I really wanna help her because it makes me sad knowing how much pain she's in on the inside. What do I do?

Capitan_Kid

Im sure her grandpa wouldn't want her to cut herself. You should tell her that. Also if you are really good friends with her you should ask her to stop doing it for you. Thats how I got my ex girlfriend to stop, but she was my girlfriend so maybe it's different.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6016f2513d412

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]In situations like that, people pretty much have to help themselves. Since she's unwilling to seek professional help, it's up to her. Just let her know that you're there for her and that you care. Even if you can't necessarily help her, knowing that you're there will certainly be comforting for her.Capitan_Kid

Not really, unfortunately. I am pretty much the same as your friend, and I can't really think of anything that anyone else could do that would be helpful. Just being there for her, supporting her, and not passing any judgments should really comfort her though. She pretty much either has to fix her behavior herself or seek help from a professional. I suppose you could lightly encourage either of those things.
gate49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gate49
Member since 2010 • 84 Posts

I think that just talking to her would help a lot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6016f2513d412

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]

TheHighWind

Im sure her grandpa wouldn't want her to cut herself. You should tell her that. Also if you are really good friends with her you should ask her to stop doing it for you. Thats how I got my ex girlfriend to stop, but she was my girlfriend so maybe it's different.

Asking someone to stop doing something self-destructive for you puts a lot of added pressure on the person, and if they fail, they'll feel even worse if they care about you. Also, if that friendship or relationship terminates, the person won't have any incentive to continue stopping the behavior. In the long run, people have to stop doing bad things to themselves FOR themselves, or else they'll end up going right back to it.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#13 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

You spend time with her but try not to tread painful ground. Try doing things that she likes and just hang out with her more often. Simple as that.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Big_Red-
Member since 2006 • 7230 Posts
[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]

In situations like that, people pretty much have to help themselves. Since she's unwilling to seek professional help, it's up to her. Just let her know that you're there for her and that you care. Even if you can't necessarily help her, knowing that you're there will certainly be comforting for her.t3hrubikscube

You spend time with her but try not to tread painful ground. Try doing things that she likes and just hang out with her more often. Simple as that.

Pretty much this, and if you two ar attracted to eachother, than you two could date, and who knows....... >_>
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Deihjan
[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]You spend time with her but try not to tread painful ground. Try doing things that she likes and just hang out with her more often. Simple as that.-Big_Red-
Pretty much this, and if you two ar attracted to eachother, than you two could date, and who knows....... >_>

I'm sorry, but, both of you, stop being idiots.. 1. The girl would quite possibly start feeling his visits are purely because she's 'sick'. Not good. 2. if they break up, she's left worse than before..
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

turn on a light (metaphorically speaking)

-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Big_Red-
[QUOTE="-Big_Red-"][QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]You spend time with her but try not to tread painful ground. Try doing things that she likes and just hang out with her more often. Simple as that.Deihjan

I'm sorry, but, both of you, stop being idiots.. 1. The girl would quite possibly start feeling his visits are purely because she's 'sick'. Not good. 2. if they break up, she's left worse than before..

Not necessarilly.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

and here I came into this thread ready to say, "Give them a flashlight," thinking it was going to be about religion. Now I feel bad.

NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
yeah right. you just want to get in her pants. im not helping you get inside her pants. Dont be a hero cuz youre not
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

She needs to learn to move on and make better choices for herself.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Capitan_Kid

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]

-Big_Red-

Lol nah dude. Were just friends and thats it. We are definitely not attracted to each other. I just don't like seeing my friends hurt.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

The darkness will suck her energy and then use it to destroy her leaving just a ghost of what she was buahahahah :twisted:

now really.... introduce her some friends of yours... invite her to the movies.. I don´t know... cheer her up :D

-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Big_Red-
[QUOTE="NintendoNite"]yeah right. you just want to get in her pants. im not helping you get inside her pants. Dont be a hero cuz youre not

Not sure if serious....... :|
F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts

Turn the light on .. :|

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#25 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="-Big_Red-"][QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]You spend time with her but try not to tread painful ground. Try doing things that she likes and just hang out with her more often. Simple as that.Deihjan

I was speaking from a purely non-romantic standpoint.

Not to mention I've done this with suicidal people and it worked every time.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Capitan_Kid

The darkness will suck her energy and then use it to destroy her leaving just a ghost of what she was buahahahah :twisted:

now really.... introduce her some friends of yours... invite her to the movies.. I don´t know... cheer her up :D

unrealtron

She does all that kind of stuff. Shes very friendly and hangs out with people constantly. She still hurts though.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Get her on weed... Hey sorry if I'm trying to be original for the 500th "my female friend is suicidal, how do i help" thread...
nobodylive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 nobodylive
Member since 2005 • 1880 Posts
Give her an inspirational speech. E.G, if is a motivation problem,, just copy the Follow your dreams talk from Pursuit of Happyness.
buldog300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#29 buldog300
Member since 2003 • 2152 Posts

not much you can do if she's not willing to help herself. just make sure she knows you are there for her, but don't come on too strong about it.

needled24-7
Pretty much this. Unless you know she's actually going to try to kill herself neither you nor the law can intervene.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

This darkness?

[spoiler] Fast forward to 50s :P [/spoiler]

MrMe1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrMe1000
Member since 2007 • 2215 Posts
i honestly think you should stay out of her business and let her family take care of it
codesrc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 codesrc
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Tell her if she know the cons. of committing a suicide. If she know what will others think if she do that. then she will find it useless to kill herself.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#34 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

Capitan_Kid

First off, there is a good chance that she is either lying to you about certain things, cognitively or incognitively, or that she is incapable of conveying the full scope of her troubles - whatever the reason; doesn't matter. What you need to understand is is that there is probably a lot more to this than you think.

You should not feel bad for being unable to actively help her in her situation, when the situation is an unknown to you. Dont beat yourself up over it, your sense of responsiblity or guilt is irrational when you look at the bigger picture.

There is little you can do, especially when you have no significant knowledge pertaining to psychiatry, but you can be a passive help to her.

Just let her know that you're there for her and that you care. Even if you can't necessarily help her, knowing that you're there will certainly be comforting for her.t3hrubikscube

This is great advice really. ^

Be stabile, be a pillar that she knows she can rely on, it's important that there are relational points in her world that she can utilize to draw perspective from, just like standard candles are important to astronomers when they need to draw perspective on the observed world. That's the best advice I can give you.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Deihjan
BiancaDK
I wish you were my shrink, and a lot older than me...
Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

She wants to kill herself because her grandfather died?

Okay, not to sound callous, but old people die, and if she wants to kill herself because of that, she clearly has some serious emotional issues far beyond what anyone understands...

Talk to her parents and haver her committed... I am deadly serious, if she is trying to kill herself because of that, she needs constant super vision from a medical professional and major therapy...

Honestly, I am having a hard time not calling BS on this... on her reason, I mean... she is either lying to you or very sick...

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#37 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]Deihjan
I wish you were my shrink, and a lot older than me...

I wish the people around you were giving you adequate help. =/

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Capitan_Kid

She wants to kill herself because her grandfather died?

Okay, not to sound callous, but old people die, and if she wants to kill herself because of that, she clearly has some serious emotional issues far beyond what anyone understands...

Talk to her parents and haver her committed... I am deadly serious, if she is trying to kill herself because of that, she needs constant super vision from a medical professional and major therapy...

Honestly, I am having a hard time not calling BS on this... on her reason, I mean... she is either lying to you or very sick...

heysharpshooter

Her grandpa was like a dad to her. She lived with him all her life. The pain of loss can devestate some people you know.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Chances are, there's more than meets the eye, I honestly don't believe that the reason for her being suicidal could be because of her Grandfather's death, I could be wrong though.

In any case, just help her out, care for her and give her sound advice, then let herself get up. Like other people said in this thread, you can't help people if people don't want to help themselves.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Get her on weed...

chaplainDMK

Give this some serious consideration.

ChowsSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42 ChowsSN
Member since 2004 • 10399 Posts
A flashlight should show her the light
ChowsSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#43 ChowsSN
Member since 2004 • 10399 Posts

[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"]

Get her on weed...

Necrifer

Give this some serious consideration.

I second chaplainDMK.
TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

I doubt that is the only reson, unless it really is and she really cannot see beyond that.

Talk to her, hang out with her. Tell her there is so much more to life than sadness.

metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
its probably more then just a granpa who died long ago that make her do what she do if she told u about it it might mean she want help in some way if u found it out by accident then its gonna get harder to get her help also a sign that she wants help is if she told more people then u depending on her age u might wanna suggest she visit a school "shrink", her parents dont need to know or anything if she goes to one im assuming she only thougth about committing suicide cause otherwise shed be in hospital...and peopel would know and she'd get help only thing u can do is to be there for her if she wanna talk and dont judge her cause of the cutting, its often related to low selfasteem, being told its wrong to do it will make it worse the hardest step for her would be to actually physically walk to a shrink or some place that can help her or where she can talk to a proffessional offer to go with her
metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
Tell her if she know the cons. of committing a suicide. If she know what will others think if she do that. then she will find it useless to kill herself. codesrc
do NOT do that, thats a really stupid thing to say to a suicidal person, it will make her feel totally useless and even worse
PanickBuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PanickBuzz
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts
Many teenagers do something like that and then they grow up and forget this rubbish. I don't mean you should just leave her be, no no. Let her feel she's not alone in this world. You can do a lot of things together, you can show her how beautiful the world is. Even its darker side.
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
let her carry her despair and molt out of it, she'll figure it out eventually
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I was going to suggest giving her a flashlight but now I'm not so sure if that would work.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

She's got to want to help herself. Just make sure she knows you care for her. And it's better to be clingy than to give her spece, even if she's asking for it.