High school; I can't write in cursive

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hinata237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Hinata237
Member since 2006 • 9416 Posts

I haven't been to a public school in three years. I'm a freshman now... Older than my peers, yet at least I now have peers. Hopefully that'll stop me from harming myself. Anyway, to the point: I can't write in cursive. Handwriting. Fancy writing. All joined together words. Whatever you want to call it...Where the 'S' looks nothing like a print 'S'. Is this a problem? This is my first day of school, and I'm doing my homework. Just wondering if you had to write in cursive... Hopefully my horrible print will be counted towards my grade.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
I was never required to use cursive once in highschool. And after a year and a half of college i still havent been asked to write in cursive.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I haven't written in cursive since 5th grade. In elementary school, they tried to scare us into thinking that we'd have to write in cursive for the rest of our lives as students, but that turned out to be totally false. I can still write in cursive if I have to, but it looks kind of crappy. I much prefer printing.
tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
I can hardly print now, cursive writing is how I right today.
ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts
In high school, you're not forced to write in cursive. :? I know teachers that write print or a mixture of print and cursive. At least I don't remember having to write in cursive throughout high school.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
Other than writing my signature I don't write in cursive.
Omega_Zero69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Omega_Zero69
Member since 2006 • 13668 Posts
dont be ashamed i cant wirte in cursive neither :cry:
ff7fan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ff7fan2
Member since 2006 • 31413 Posts
You'll be alright with print...I haven't wrote cursive since 6th grade.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
I learned how to write in cursive in 2nd grade but in JH and HS I can say it was not needed at all.
Hinata237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hinata237
Member since 2006 • 9416 Posts
Ok, thanks guys. What if it's sloppy writing? I'm horrible with my print. It's legible, yet it is kinda... icky.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#11 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I've never used it since grade 3 and 4 when they made us. The claimed we'd need it for the rest of our lives in work and in high school and we'd fail without it. Totally wrong..
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I stopped being forced to write in cursive in 6th grade. Now the only time i write like that is when I'm signing my name.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
In elementary school, they tried to scare us into thinking that we'd have to write in cursive for the rest of our lives as students, but that turned out to be totally false. I can still write in cursive if I have to, but it looks kind of crappy. I much prefer printing.t3hrubikscube
My teachers said that too. :o
RiderGino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RiderGino
Member since 2005 • 657 Posts
Ok, thanks guys. What if it's sloppy writing? I'm horrible with my print. It's legible, yet it is kinda... icky.Hinata237
Don't worry chances are that someone else in your class has even worse handwriting then you, and even if someone doesn't most teachers can figure it out.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

Cursive is like Latin; pointless, unless of course you plan to use it frequently throughout your life. Hell, if youre signature doesnt need to be cursive.

Its funny I mention that because my dad speaks latin, but he also writes cursive. He will write something down in that chickenscratch and I'll be like "What is this? Write is in real handwriting" lol.

ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts
Ok, thanks guys. What if it's sloppy writing? I'm horrible with my print. It's legible, yet it is kinda... icky.Hinata237
As long as they can read it, high school teachers don't really mind much, though it depends on the teacher.
obsolete2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 obsolete2k1
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts
cursive writing is pointless and takes away from other, more important things which should be taught in school. cursive writing is no longer used in anything any longer and should therefore no longer be taught.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
I was never required to use cursive once in highschool. And after a year and a half of college i still havent been asked to write in cursive.SaintLeonidas
Yup... Never once was I asked to write in cursive in high school, most assignments in high school were written on the computer anyways, but when we did write something ourselves cursive was never required. The only time I ever use cursive nowadays is to sign my name.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts
I haven't been required to write anything in cursive since 5th grade...
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts
cursive is all write in but no it wont hurt you
kruesader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kruesader
Member since 2006 • 6443 Posts
I really like cursive, but I am faster printing the cursive letters as opposed to doing running writing.
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NetYankEagle
Member since 2007 • 11090 Posts
hell i dont even remember how to write in cursive. If i even did i would probably gets some letter down and then replace a letter with the print version if i dont remember the cursive way
wrlyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wrlyy
Member since 2006 • 7632 Posts
My handwriting looks like a 9 year olds and I did really well in HS, don't worry about it.
zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] In elementary school, they tried to scare us into thinking that we'd have to write in cursive for the rest of our lives as students, but that turned out to be totally false. I can still write in cursive if I have to, but it looks kind of crappy. I much prefer printing.harashawn
My teachers said that too. :o

On the first day of grade 4, my teacher told us it would be the last day we ever printed in school. When I got to grade 6, I asked my teacher why she was printing on the board, and everybody except the people that had gone to my school gave me a weird look :|

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
The only time I have ever had to write in cursive in my entire life is when I'm signing my name on a check or an attendance sheet in school.
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
i go to a college prep school so we use laptops. my handwriting in general is crap because of that. forgot how to write in cursive :(
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
I ONLY write in cursive. Ever since I learned it in 3rd grade, I've never even bothered to write back in print. Print is such a hassle.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I had to write in cursive in fifth grade, and I haven't had to write in cursive since then. Ever since then, no one really gave a crap. They made me learn cursive early on, just so that I'd know it. After that, I was never required to use it because it's pointless.

In any serious class, I was never allowed to turn in handwritten papers anyway. It was either typed or printed from a computer, or the teacher wouldn't even bother to read it and I'd get a zero. And guess what? Most word processor fonts are NOT in cursive. When you open up a magazine, newspaper, or download a peer reviewed scientific journal, it's NOT in cursive. Because cursive honestly sucks.

That's not to say that you shouldn't know HOW to write in cursive. You absolutely SHOULD learn how to write in cursive. But unless you're writing a letter to your dear old grandmother, I don't see many occasions in which cursive is that important. Writing a personal letter, sure it's better to write in cursive because that looks prettier and seems more personal. Any other time, WHY BOTHER?

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rockguy92
Am I the only one here who writes in cursive? :?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrGeezer
Hell, my official signature isn't even in cursive. I just do the first letter of my name in cursive and then make the rest of my name a little squiggly line.
GTA_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GTA_dude
Member since 2004 • 18358 Posts
It doesn't really matter. But you should learn anyway.... I had to learn back in 3rd grade, and it was required to write in cursive, but I was really good at it. I have some nice handwriting, cursive and standard. But I like writing in standard better, unless it's my signature.
dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

Cursive all the way for me. I rarely if ever write in print.

I'm in the minority it seems though....

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrGeezer

cursive writing is pointless and takes away from other, more important things which should be taught in school. cursive writing is no longer used in anything any longer and should therefore no longer be taught.obsolete2k1

No, it should be taught. And I think it should be taught pretty much how it seems that it IS taught. It should be taught ONCE in elementary school, and then never mentioned again. Sure, it CAN be helpful. If you want to read documents that SOMEONE ELSE wrote in cursive.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rockguy92
[QUOTE="dreamdude"]

Cursive all the way for me. I rarely if ever write in print.

I'm in the minority it seems though....

I'm with you.
Avatar image for AmericasMIlitia
AmericasMIlitia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AmericasMIlitia
Member since 2008 • 72 Posts

The only time I really had to use cursive was to agree not to copy the answers from my SAT test before I took it. The whole class I was in didnt know how to do a cursive capital "I". One kid asked the teacher how to do it and she was like "Good joke". Everyone sat there and said "No, really..."

It took us like 20 mins for something that should have taken 3 minutes.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts
I was never required to write in cursive after 6th grade. Print is more legible anyway
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rockguy92

[QUOTE="obsolete2k1"]cursive writing is pointless and takes away from other, more important things which should be taught in school. cursive writing is no longer used in anything any longer and should therefore no longer be taught.MrGeezer

No, it should be taught. And I think it should be taught pretty much how it seems that it IS taught. It should be taught ONCE in elementary school, and then never mentioned again. Sure, it CAN be helpful. If you want to read documents that SOMEONE ELSE wrote in cursive.

What if you write it? It is SUCH a pain for me if I ever have to write print. I don't see how you guys put up with it.
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
I can write in cursive but every teacher tells me my regular hand writing is bad so I type most of my work.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="obsolete2k1"]cursive writing is pointless and takes away from other, more important things which should be taught in school. cursive writing is no longer used in anything any longer and should therefore no longer be taught.rockguy92

What if you write it? It is SUCH a pain for me if I ever have to write print. I don't see how you guys put up with it.

My cursive is pretty much illegible. I have to write in print (which isnt a whole lot better but at least you can read it)

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer

If you simply PREFER writing in cursive, then go ahead and write in cursive. But by all means, that's NOT the norm. We live in a print world. Most of the words that we see are done in print form. Books, magazines, newspapers, emails, etc are almost ALWAYS not done in cursive. They bear more resemblance to the writing that you did in second grade than to the writing that you did in 5th grade because your teacher made you write only in cursive for the rest of the year. Print writing is simply FAR more closer to the form that most information reaches most people. And situations in which someone is REQUIRED to write in cursive are exceedingly rare.

Yeah, I think it's GOOD that it's still TAUGHT, just like I think that it'd be worth trimming away some fluff from our high school curriculums and making it standard to have one year of REQUIRED Latin. But are most people EVER going to utilize the Spanish or Russian that they took in high school because they were REQUIRED to take a foreign language course? No.

Meeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Meeeko
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts

I haven't been to a public school in three years. I'm a freshman now... Older than my peers, yet at least I now have peers. Hopefully that'll stop me from harming myself. Anyway, to the point: I can't write in cursive. Handwriting. Fancy writing. All joined together words. Whatever you want to call it...Where the 'S' looks nothing like a print 'S'. Is this a problem? This is my first day of school, and I'm doing my homework. Just wondering if you had to write in cursive... Hopefully my horrible print will be counted towards my grade.

Hinata237

I can only write my name in cursive for signing. everything else.. not worth a damn. I'm not even sure how all the letters go.

I'm 20 btw.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#42 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I self-taught myself cursive in the fourth grade.
Meeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Meeeko

I self-taught myself cursive in the fourth grade. JustPlainLucas

I kinda wish I did that. *sigh*

You must have had access to advice dog back then.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JustPlainLucas

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]I self-taught myself cursive in the fourth grade. Meeeko

Advice dog? I'm afraid I'm familiar with that. But yeah, back in the fourth grade, the teacher had cursive letters ontop of the black board. I just practiced before she ever got around to teaching them.
Meeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Meeeko
[QUOTE="Meeeko"]

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]I self-taught myself cursive in the fourth grade. JustPlainLucas

Advice dog? I'm afraid I'm familiar with that. But yeah, back in the fourth grade, the teacher had cursive letters ontop of the black board. I just practiced before she ever got around to teaching them.

Heres an example.

dog

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts
The only cursive I ever did in high school was when I had to sign my field trip slips. :P
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="Meeeko"]

Heres an example.

dog

:? I love the Internet... :lol:
Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts
the hardest part of the SAT for me was writing that thing down in cursive. im in my sophmore year of college. the only hand writing i do is for my notes. i write it slopping and all over the place. only i understand it. and its in print. anything thats handed in is expected to be typed. clearly you know how to type so i think youll be ok.
Meeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Meeeko

the hardest part of the SAT for me was writing that thing down in cursive. im in my sophmore year of college. the only hand writing i do is for my notes. i write it slopping and all over the place. only i understand it. and its in print. anything thats handed in is expected to be typed. clearly you know how to type so i think youll be ok.blackacidevil96

I wasn't aware that you had to do it in cursive... T_T

UNHOLY_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 UNHOLY_basic
Member since 2008 • 790 Posts
i havent used cursive once since i graduated hs. i find it to be a pain to read and rite, because people often jumble words together and lots of letters end up looking the same. I really dont see a purpose for cursive, print is easier and much more effective.