Fat acceptance = excuses to be fat

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]

...somehow we should welcome fat people into our standards of what's socially acceptable and beautiful.

Lotus-Edge

They generally were for centuries. Symbols of fertility and such. Just look at any piece of art featuring a woman pre-1800.

To be honest, that's a half truth at best. If you look at obese people from centuries past, and obese people today, today's fat people are much more overweight.

Find an image of the worlds fattest man in 1920, and he looks like half of McDonald attendants now.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
You're also forgetting that obesity is sometimes a socio-economic dilemma too....not everybody can afford healthy food or have the means to exercises (ie bad neighbourhood).
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts

Wana know why people are fat? :P I work at McDonalds at the moment while going through college since the hours make it easy to fit my classes into slots xP People here order big macs like they are candy, but because we have holy Diet Coke! we can eat as much of everything that we want! Girl's come in with neckbears more often than the internet junkies that sit in the back on their laptops because of all the adipose tissue they hold. Lots of people need to get motivated to exercise and go out and eat a little healthier :P If you don't have a problem yet from your weight and are not overweight because of a problem fix it! I used to be obese o3o It wasn't fun, now that I'm normal range in weight I have to watch what I eat because I still have tons of fat cells (they don't go away they just shrink in size) and exercise :P But it's possible, but lose weight safely if you need to please. You'll cause more damage going onto a fad diet or starving yourself and thats even worse! If you're really overweight the best part is you burn more calories moving than a normal weight person would because you have so much more weight to move xD Means more weight loss when your overweight from exercise xP But don't get discouraged! :3 The best exerise plan that I found was to have a friend do it with you. You won't ditch your friends right? Their skill level doesn't matter, I worked out with jocks and after a while I was able to keep up with them xP It makes it more fun too :) also DIET COKE DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN EAT 2 SLICES OF CAKE WITH DINNER. ahem drink some water and skip the cake

EDIT:

You're also forgetting that obesity is sometimes a socio-economic dilemma too....not everybody can afford healthy food or have the means to exercises (ie bad neighbourhood). lonewolf604

To the person above me the bad area thing I never thoguht about that for exercising :o I suppose that could be a reason. But the cost thing I'm not so sure about. meals at fast food resturaunts are expensive and when families come in and spend $26 on a meal for 3 full of fat carbs and salt. They could have just as easily went to the store and got $26 worth of fruit or veggies and cooked a dinner that would have lastd them a day or two, but the issue there is then you must do work and cook it too :/ When we go to the store to make dinners we spend like $12 fo three of us. Get some cheap chicken, some veggies and mix it up :3

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#54 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
You're also forgetting that obesity is sometimes a socio-economic dilemma too....not everybody can afford healthy food or have the means to exercises (ie bad neighbourhood). lonewolf604
You don't need high-end healthy foods or gym gear to be able to lose weight. Even just keeping on your feet all day and being conservative with how much you eat can help keep the pounds off.
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 MakeMeaSammitch

eating less is free.

That's all you have to do.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

I agree. One day we're going to see obese flabby women on Playboy and who knows how many pages that will cover!

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
As long as they have the capacity to get around have sex and keep a job without being a burden on society who cares?
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 TrainerCeleste
The other thing I have to clarify is :3 A lot of people who think they are fat, really are not. Check your BMI with a calculator online and see where you lie xD But the morbidly obese people shouldn't have to really do that :P I think they know they could eat a little less xD
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

[QUOTE="lonewolf604"]You're also forgetting that obesity is sometimes a socio-economic dilemma too....not everybody can afford healthy food or have the means to exercises (ie bad neighbourhood). 1PMrFister
You don't need high-end healthy foods or gym gear to be able to lose weight. Even just keeping on your feet all day and being conservative with how much you eat can help keep the pounds off.

Agreed. You can do push ups, planks, walking, biking, pull ups, jogging, planking, and lifting weights, and the costs are minimal.

That and dieting and picking healthier options. Hell, you can get healthy foods at McDonalds such as a grilled chicken sandwich, salads witout the dressing (unless the have olive oil), no fried foods, water, and fruits. It's BS to say it's all economics since there are healthier options.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

being fat is obviously not a good thing or a desirable trait to have, but I'm not going to tease others about it like an a$$hole or bring it up . It's their issue, not mine.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

I always seen this one very obese girl on the bus to school near ever day. She sat there so akwardly because she knew people were talking behind her back. I felt sorry for her. I don't know why anyone would put themselves through it when they have the choice not too given a bit of will power.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
Honestly it really isnt that expensive. Yes if you try to go all organic or eat nothing but fruits and veggies then yeah it can be pricy. You dont have to go nuts. A bag of apples is only a few dollars and you can eat 2 or 3 a day and last you 2 or 3 days or more. Way better than a bag of chips. If you order a burger, order it without cheese to save like 100 calories and a bunch of fat and salt. Most people have smart phones now and you can download a free app that you can either search for the food you are going to eat or scan the barcode and then you can keep track. If you can stay under 1600 calories and even throw in a few hours of walking a week, you can easily start losing a pound a week. I myself know first hand as i used to have a BMI just at obese a year ago and last January i decided that i didnt like who i was. I initially only did exercise by walking hours on a treadmill, but i didnt really get an results until i started to change my diet and try to limit my salt intake. I know it isnt easy and it does take discipline and willpower, but i dont feel like it was anything that special either. You can still enjoy fast food and deserts as long as you dont do it all the time and are cognizant of your intake. For people that have kids, work 2 jobs, and are still struggling i understand why it might be tough or maybe even impossible. I still think that a good portion of people that are under 30 could easily at least get out of the obese state without too much work through a simple diet and really it would probably save them money in the long run.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 DJ-Lafleur

I always seen this one very obese girl on the bus to school near ever day. She sat there so akwardly because she knew people were talking behind her back. I felt sorry for her. I don't know why anyone would put themselves through it when they have the choice not too given a bit of will power.

sune_Gem

Willpower isn't exact;y something that's very easy to obtain, for some people anyways.And even with willpower losing weight might not be easy. Dieting can be complex and isn't always as easy as just eating less or whatever.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

I don't care about fat people. Thing is, more often than not they have noticeably bad hygiene, take up too much space (planes, theatres), and are unpleasant to look at.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MakeMeaSammitch

sune_Gem

That's the problem. Most people never realize that the most important thing you can learn in life is self control.

Hence Obesity, smoking, libertarians, ect.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

DJ-Lafleur

Willpower isn't exact;y something that's very easy to obtain, for some people anyways.And even with willpower losing weight might not be easy. Dieting can be complex and isn't always as easy as just eating less or whatever.

I know it's not easy for all. But I'm sure the constant laughter and insults would be enough motivation. Looking at the numbers lower on a scale must give a nice enough sense of accomplishment to want to continue.

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 TrainerCeleste

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

I know it's not easy for all. But I'm sure the constant laughter and insults would be enough motivation. Looking at the numbers lower on a scale must give a nice enough sense of accomplishment to want to continue.

Problem there though is that eating would bring just as much if not more enjoyment for those people o3o and that's easier
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts

sune_Gem
It's often a vicious cycle that's tough to get out of. Most obese people got that way because eating is how they release their stress. However, they get fatter as a result which brings about teasing/taunting/mocking which gives them more stress which then makes them eat even more and on and on it goes.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

Or the constant laughter and insults could just get to the person's psych and make them feel worse about themselves, as if they feel the insults are actually truth, and thus the person feels even worse and the cycle of bad eating habits worsens ion some uinfortunate cycle.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

l4dak47

It's often a vicious cycle that's tough to get out of. Most obese people got that way because eating is how they release their stress. However, they get fatter as a result which brings about teasing/taunting/mocking which gives them more stress which then makes them eat even more and on and on it goes.

I suppose that's understandable. It's harder for me to understand the intentions of others when I haven't gone through it myself.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 l4dak47

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

I suppose that's understandable. It's harder for me to understand the intentions of others when I haven't gone through it myself.

Just saying that it's not that simple of an issue as many would like to claim it is.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

I can empathize with people quite a lot when it comes to most issues but this is one where I can be a bit insensitive. The problem is it's basically a form of self harm, and actually encourages poor lifestyle choices. I don't mind it if people are a bit overweight... some people actually carry it well.

I am talking about people who don't actually enjoy food, they just cram it down their faces in as big a mouthful as possible.

Doesn't help when you have s**t like man v food on tv.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

MakeMeaSammitch

That's the problem. Most people never realize that the most important thing you can learn in life is self control.

Hence Obesity, smoking, libertarians, ect.

What does lack of self control have to do with libertarians?
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="l4dak47"] It's often a vicious cycle that's tough to get out of. Most obese people got that way because eating is how they release their stress. However, they get fatter as a result which brings about teasing/taunting/mocking which gives them more stress which then makes them eat even more and on and on it goes. l4dak47

Just saying that it's not that simple of an issue as many would like to claim it is.

Well, at least they make some interesting TV programs. :D

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 l4dak47

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

Rofl. Indeed, like honey boo boo or w/e her name is.
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="l4dak47"] Just saying that it's not that simple of an issue as many would like to claim it is. l4dak47

Rofl. Indeed, like honey boo boo or w/e her name is.

I was thinking more along the side of documentarys actually. I find them interesting. I seen a serious documentary once that followed the life of a furry. She seemed like a nice girl to be honest. Sucks that she was subject to so much ridicule just because she wore a fur suit out all the time.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

The "they are poor" is just an excuse, I see people who make plenty of money who are obese... It can be a sign of depression, maybe that is the underlying issue... All these depressed people walking around, millions of them.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Excess fat isn't unhealthy. The important thing is finding the balance point between morbid obesity and anorexic thinness, with a conditioned cardiovasvular system and good muscle strength. Enjoying food shouldn't make someone an object of derision. Being an idiot and thinking everyone should fit into narrow standards of size and weight and fulfill 19th century ideals of "health" created by a very skinny man... that is whom we should aim our derision at. I like chubby women. I think they are infinitely more attractive than a size-0, AA-cup breasted model. As long as they are maintaining a healthy weight, and have a strong cardiovasvular system... I think they shouldn't strive for a 0% body fat count.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#79 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

We shouldn't judge people, we should accept them regardless of how they are. I don't think it's an excuse to be fat or unhealthy, it's just about respecting people, and when people respect themselves they will take better care of themselves. But you need to respect others before you respect yourself.

Also some people are just naturally bigger than others, I have a friend from Samoa and he showed me pictures of his family and friends back home. They are all really big, but they are also healthy.

But obeasity isn't a good thing and we do need to fix it.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#80 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

While I agree it is, for the most part, a choice, and something that you can change, I don't really feel like I have the right to judge those choices for the most part. The one exception is where obesity and poor diet intersect with healthcare. If you live in a country where the government underwrites healthcare costs with taxpayer money, is it really right for someone who continues to make unhealthy choices like smoking, not getting proper excercise, overeating, or drinking too much alcohol benefit from the taxes deducted from your earnings? It's an interesting ethical dilemma. On the one hand I don't want people to suffer simply because they can't afford care, but on the other hand if a condition is largely preventable, results from lifestyle choices, and requires expensive treatment, I don't really think it's fair to require others to pay for it.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#81 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Excess fat isn't unhealthy. The important thing is finding the balance point between morbid obesity and anorexic thinness, with a conditioned cardiovasvular system and good muscle strength. Enjoying food shouldn't make someone an object of derision. Being an idiot and thinking everyone should fit into narrow standards of size and weight and fulfill 19th century ideals of "health" created by a very skinny man... that is whom we should aim our derision at. I like chubby women. I think they are infinitely more attractive than a size-0, AA-cup breasted model. As long as they are maintaining a healthy weight, and have a strong cardiovasvular system... I think they shouldn't strive for a 0% body fat count.Zeviander

An interesting fact. The current trend of "beauty" in the western world that we impose on women to be anorrexic, bone thin was started by a gay man who liked teen boys. I learned about it in a documentary I watched in college.

I like women of all types, but the extremes are a no-no for me. I don't know why some men like bone thin women, it doesn't seem fun at all to me lol. At least you and I can agree on something it seems.

I have been with very skinny women before, I found it uncomfortable with something always poking me. The bigger women are more comfortable.

cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts
That is none of my business.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Kurushio

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Excess fat isn't unhealthy. The important thing is finding the balance point between morbid obesity and anorexic thinness, with a conditioned cardiovasvular system and good muscle strength. Enjoying food shouldn't make someone an object of derision. Being an idiot and thinking everyone should fit into narrow standards of size and weight and fulfill 19th century ideals of "health" created by a very skinny man... that is whom we should aim our derision at. I like chubby women. I think they are infinitely more attractive than a size-0, AA-cup breasted model. As long as they are maintaining a healthy weight, and have a strong cardiovasvular system... I think they shouldn't strive for a 0% body fat count.ShadowMoses900

An interesting fact. The current trend of "beauty" in the western world that we impose on women to be anorrexic, bone thin was started by a gay man who liked teen boys. I learned about it in a documentary I watched in college.

I like women of all types, but the extremes are a no-no for me. I don't know why some men like bone thin women, it doesn't seem fun at all to me lol. At least you and I can agree on something it seems.

I have been with very skinny women before, I found it uncomfortable with something always poking me. The bigger women are more comfortable.

I dont think women that are just bones with skin are attractive either. Really just as gross as being overweight and probably more unhealthy even. Personally i would prefer a BMI of about 20-22 or a body fat percentage probably around 15-20%. My own body fat is within that range though i would like to try and get it a bit lower.
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 bigfoot2045
Member since 2012 • 732 Posts

You do realize that prior to modern times, being fat was actually considered a sign of wealth, power, and success? Case in point, Henry VIII.

The fashion industry has created this obsession with people, especially women, being skinny. And the funny thing is that the fashion industry is run by gay men who don't even particularly like women.

Also, in terms of health, all research points to the most healthy body habitus being slightly overweight with a BMI of around 26 or 27. Skinny isn't even healthy.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I would normally interject here and go on a rant on how much I hate fat people - fat women in particular.

But, there are more important items to take into consideration, namely that:

OP IS A MEAN WORD

The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts
Cals in/out. Some people understand. Idiots don't. Thyroid issues can be treated. Weight loss is easy. The body fights overfeeding too, people just choose to ignore it.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

loosing weight is easy
just don't eat
i don't see why it's hard

i just live off mountain dew

then again i don't really care what i'm eating

expensive food

cheap food

all teh same

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] Cute. Losing weight is easy.Lucky_Krystal

TC is clearly a skinny b*tch.

Most likely.

^^ Also, TC, why do you care? Sure, it's bad for their health, but that's on THEM. They have to deal with it, not you.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#90 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I don't get the point of this. I mean, yeah people should try to be healthy, but it isn't like they're hurting anyone (other than themselves) by being fat, and of course insensitivity isn't a great way to approach it since I'm sure they get bullied enough for their weight as it is, while some people really do have glandular disorders or mental health issues that cause their current weight.

I mean, I'm healthy because I make a conscious effort to hit the gym and eat right, but not everyone can afford that, or has the genes to do it so easily, or the time. It's just a really weird and shallow thread I'm seeing.

The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts

I don't get the point of this. I mean, yeah people should try to be healthy, but it isn't like they're hurting anyone (other than themselves) by being fat, and of course insensitivity isn't a great way to approach it since I'm sure they get bullied enough for their weight as it is, while some people really do have glandular disorders or mental health issues that cause their current weight.

I mean, I'm healthy because I make a conscious effort to hit the gym and eat right, but not everyone can afford that, or has the genes to do it so easily, or the time. It's just a really weird and shallow thread I'm seeing.

SPYDER0416
No one can afford to MOVE AROUND MORE and eat LESS calories? A deficit is a deficit. Some people need to eat less than others, but no one is exception to thermodynamics. No time to eat less. Logic is astounding.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

I think this is a very revealing thread of how certain people think in other topics, on one hand you got common sense, truth, but then you got people who say "dont tell the truth, that is insensitive!" I think what we got going on here is the a lot of people are lieing to themselves to hide facts...

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Kurushio

SPYDER0416
Well one point is that overweight people are becoming a bigger and bigger burden on the health care system. Which depending on the circumstances could end up being more a burden on each tax payer because they made the choice to continue eating poorly. Also in another way it is also increasing our fossil fuel use since the more a car weighs, the more energy it must use to move so in effect they are making their vehicles less efficient. That's a bit of a stretch but it technically is true and im sure it does add up to a significant sum.
Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

There are plenty of reasons people are fat, not just to laziness. Food security/socioeconomic status is probably the biggest reason. In further generations it will be even worse with the effect of epigenetics, and also the genetic drift hypothesis, if you prescribe to it.

It shouldn't be other people's problems until it starts infringing on them. Like healthcare, airplane seats, and I don't know what else.

Calories in/calories out is not enough without exercise intervention and a basic idea of nutrition, unfortunately.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Honestly, I agree in that losing weight isn't really that difficult of a proscessfor most people, but really who cares. I'm inclined to let people be fat if they wish. You know it's their right and all.

And for those of you who jump on the healthcare thing, yeah there's a little legitimacy there, but what about people who drive fast cars, ski down slopes, smoke, drink, etc. all put themselves at a slightly greater risk for injury or illness? At some point you have to let people live their lives.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

Honestly, I agree in that losing weight isn't really that difficult of a proscessfor most people, but really who cares. I'm inclined to let people be fat if they wish. You know it's their right and all.

And for those of you who jump on the healthcare thing, yeah there's a little legitimacy there, but what about people who drive fast cars, ski down slopes, smoke, drink, etc. all put themselves at a slightly greater risk for injury or illness? At some point you have to let people live their lives.

TacticalDesire

As long as those who are risking themselves are willing to pay a premium instead of affecting others (by increasing their healthcare cost if they are hospitalized), not a problem. That doesn't mean I would endorse people acting recklessly around others and possibly injuring or causing illness.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Not accepting someone because of their looks is hilarious coming from an Obama supporter...

Pirate700
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Honestly, I agree in that losing weight isn't really that difficult of a proscessfor most people, but really who cares. I'm inclined to let people be fat if they wish. TacticalDesire

It's easier the more obese you are. It's easier for someone who's 300lbs to lose 10lbs, but try being 100lbs and trying to lose 5lbs.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

The growth of this "fat acceptance" culture in America leaves me legitimately confused.

princeofshapeir

You are a hater and haters gota hate. I hope this explains it for you.