extending school days by another 2 hours???

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 MordusMythril
Member since 2006 • 1135 Posts
The problem with this is that we (the students) don't get any say in this. They refuse to listen to us because they think we don't know anything, therefore we don't know how we want to be taught. This old method of thinking where the older generation assumes that everyone in the next generation is ignorant and stupid is starting to get old and problematic.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Pretty much any adolescent thinks they know better than their parents/older generation. I know I did. The thing is, you really don't know at that age. You only realize that when you're older.

Extending school time is a good thing : people will be more educated and have less time to hang out doing nothing or doing stuff they shouldn't.

Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#103 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
I think they neglected the chance that kids will be driven to drop out of school. Lets see. A school usualy starts at 9 am? ends at 3-3:30 now. Getting off at 6-6:30?? Getting home at 7?? Pfft, to you, nation.funnymario
This is already the case in some countries, for example in Belgium, it starts at 8:30 and ends at 16:30 in high school. It does lead to fatigue and I quit mainly because of it. It really only means added filler classes that really annoy you!
SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 SDog624
Member since 2003 • 2032 Posts
[QUOTE="SDog624"]apparently theres a "nation-wide" plan for extending school days 2 hours longer. they think that by doing this, lessons will be less rushed and students will have more time to learn stuff better. well theyre considering it here in massachusetts and atleast one school is already trying it. i dont know about you guys but i have the rest of my life to work an 8 hour job (if i dont start my own company somehow), i dont need to spend 8 hours in school. i'm doing just fine and im in some honors classes too. if kids need extra help, its their responsibility to stay after school for help or they fail. whats going to happen to after school sports if we're not going to get out of school until the sun starts to go down?

go ahead and share your opinions on this idea that apparently is going to happen to all of america. /rant
TERMINAT0R1

Because sports are the #1 priority in our nation's school systems, forbidden>

WTF It isn't letting me finish my post

the sad thing is, sports are extremely important here in america. everything is always about competition. school sports are social, and build up school spirit.

something that definitly shouldnt exist are grades. academics dont need to be a competition. its ridiculous. everyones always bragging about o wow i got all As, or complaining and saying zomg i got a B-. i want to learn what im interested in but i cant get into the forbidden> why cant i finsih my post WTF GAMESPOT
senecaboyer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 senecaboyer88
Member since 2005 • 3386 Posts

Pretty much any adolescent thinks they know better than their parents/older generation. I know I did. The thing is, you really don't know at that age. You only realize that when you're older.

Extending school time is a good thing : people will be more educated and have less time to hang out doing nothing or doing stuff they shouldn't.

Gog
as i said earlier....half the time in school is wasted...its already long enough...most of it is spent doing nothing, like literally nothing...as in the teacher ran out of things to do... but i do agree with the adolescent thing i actually cant stand most of them...just because they feel that they are never wrong, and they never do anything wrong, immature people aggravate me...
senecaboyer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 senecaboyer88
[QUOTE="funnymario"]I think they neglected the chance that kids will be driven to drop out of school. Lets see. A school usualy starts at 9 am? ends at 3-3:30 now. Getting off at 6-6:30?? Getting home at 7?? Pfft, to you, nation.Kev_Boy
This is already the case in some countries, for example in Belgium, it starts at 8:30 and ends at 16:30 in high school. It does lead to fatigue and I quit mainly because of it. It really only means added filler classes that really annoy you!

School starting at 9 am?? Where?? I wanna go... my school starts at 7:30 AM.....with 1 and a half hour classes...and ends at 2:30 and if i chose to do sports i wouldnt be getting home till around 7:30 at night....i refuse to waste that much time with sports.. but you seemed to have it easy and you quit???
MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 MordusMythril
[QUOTE="Gog"]

Extending school time is a good thing : people will be more educated and have less time to hang out doing nothing or doing stuff they shouldn't.

senecaboyer88
as i said earlier....half the time in school is wasted...its already long enough...most of it is spent doing nothing, like literally nothing...as in the teacher ran out of things to do... but i do agree with the adolescent thing i actually cant stand most of them...just because they feel that they are never wrong, and they never do anything wrong, immature people aggravate me...

The least they could do is consider ideas from the students. We hardly have any say in such matters, and it's not like the school council does much to affect the school.
Avatar image for AmericanSk8land
AmericanSk8land

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#108 AmericanSk8land
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts

Fine they can have it 2 hours longer. AS LONG AS WE GET 1 EXTRA DAY FOR OUR WEEKENDS!!

senecaboyer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 senecaboyer88
[QUOTE="senecaboyer88"][QUOTE="Gog"]

MordusMythril

The least they could do is consider ideas from the students. We hardly have any say in such matters, and it's not like the school council does much to affect the school.

we got to vote on our schedule structure for next year...there were two options...we all voted for the 2nd one, and they ended up picking the 1st one....so my schedule for next year is 7 classes and the order of them is all mixed up every day....so we never know what the hell were doing or where were going... i think the government ends up making the decisions...thats how its always been, and probably always will be...
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Gog

MordusMythril

I agree that it's mostly for show. To make the students believe they actually have somehing to say when everything has already been decided. It was the same thing for me.

MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 MordusMythril

[QUOTE="MordusMythril"]
Gog

I agree that it's mostly for show. To make the students believe they actually have somehing to say when everything has already been decided. It was the same thing for me.

Yeah, it's basically a glorified popularity contest.

Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#112 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts

Extending school time is a good thing : people will be more educated and have less time to hang out doing nothing or doing stuff they shouldn't.

Gog
The government is only doing this to make more money. I'm 19 and out of regular school and I still despise the prospect of over 7 hours.
Avatar image for LA_lakers_4life
LA_lakers_4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#113 LA_lakers_4life
Member since 2006 • 7051 Posts
i already have an 8 hour school day...
MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 MordusMythril
I feel sorry for the people that are going to have to put up with zero-hour at my school for next year.
Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#115 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts
I'd skip school a hell of a lot then.
Cloud6900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#116 Cloud6900
Member since 2007 • 1211 Posts
Lucky for me i dont live in the U.S...:P :lol: :P
gman56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#117 gman56
Member since 2004 • 6542 Posts
I thought they were extending it for an hour and not having to go to school on Friday.
MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 MordusMythril
Lucky for me i dont live in the U.S...:P :lol: :PCloud6900

Yeah, I wish I could live in another developed country. This place is probably going to go down in a few decades.
Stikke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Stikke
Member since 2003 • 4192 Posts
Can anyone find a link to this supposed proposal?
Squidward117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#120 Squidward117
Member since 2005 • 4374 Posts
Sounds good to me.
thnickaman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 thnickaman13
Member since 2006 • 633 Posts
our schools were designed by Rockefeller and friends in order to create obedient factory workers who were able to do mundane tasks over and over nuff said
scary_snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 scary_snake
Member since 2006 • 4546 Posts

since i graduated i dont care,but for you younger guys that would suck.formula1racer

it will:cry:

jd7-03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 jd7-03
Member since 2003 • 6140 Posts
If so then students should get at least 45min for lunch, I remember in high school going to lunch, they were far to short, about 20min. People would wait in line for 15min, eat really fast, and then feel like crap the rest of the day. Of course college is different, you can take a 2 hour lunch if you wanted! lol
Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Cyrax-Sektor
I thought they were extending it for an hour and not having to go to school on Friday. gman56
Good one. It's two and Friday is no day off.
jd7-03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 jd7-03
Member since 2003 • 6140 Posts
[QUOTE="thnickaman13"]our schools were designed by Rockefeller and friends in order to create obedient factory workers who were able to do mundane tasks over and over nuff said

Right on man! They also never tell students the truth about Columbus (that he led to the genocide of 4 million Arawak Indians) nor the corporations of capitalism. Instead they glorify everything, Columbus is good, being a wage slave is great, global warming we can't talk about, and more. I'm glad I'm in college, have had one professor in particular that has woken me up.
Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Cyrax-Sektor

Can anyone find a link to this supposed proposal?Stikke
I made this very topic some days ago. I'll find the link. *grumbles* 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_re_us/longer_school_days;_ylt=Aq9mIJcvzTatLT17wOkGV5PMWM0F

Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Cyrax-Sektor
[QUOTE="jd7-03"][QUOTE="thnickaman13"]our schools were designed by Rockefeller and friends in order to create obedient factory workers who were able to do mundane tasks over and over nuff said

Right on man! They also never tell students the truth about Columbus (that he led to the genocide of 4 million Arawak Indians) nor the corporations of capitalism. Instead they glorify everything, Columbus is good, being a wage slave is great, global warming we can't talk about, and more. I'm glad I'm in college, have had one professor in particular that has woken me up.

Down with the government! *loads grenades into trunk and checks machine gun* Lock and load, baby!
SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 SDog624
Member since 2003 • 2032 Posts

[QUOTE="Stikke"]Can anyone find a link to this supposed proposal?Cyrax-Sektor

I made this very topic some days ago. I'll find the link. *grumbles*

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_re_us/longer_school_days;_ylt=Aq9mIJcvzTatLT17wOkGV5PMWM0F

thanks for the link. heres the part of the article that i dont understand:

"On average, U.S. students go to school 6.5 hours a day, 180 days a year, fewer than in many other industrialized countries, according to a report by the Education Sector, a Washington-based think tank."

The U.S. IMO is not an industrialized country anymore. We're very technological and deal with a lot of financial business. A ton of the manufacturing is done overseas, which brings me to my second point. Why is education so stressed in the true industrialized countries like China, when a lot of the population is going to go work in manufacturing companies anyway?
kyleali11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 kyleali11
Member since 2006 • 11820 Posts
as long as its not in Canada, im ok
TheManOfChoice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 TheManOfChoice
Member since 2003 • 4148 Posts
The bad thing about all of this, is that if it does go through, the kids and/or parents won't have the guts to stand up to the government about it. If that happened and  no one went to school for those last 2 hours they added on they would eventually put them back to normal anyway. The government underestimates the power of the people...but then again I live in Canada so that's not gonna happen to me.
Avatar image for Kratos_Aurion56
Kratos_Aurion56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Kratos_Aurion56
Member since 2005 • 6050 Posts
So now they want me to wake up at 5:45 am, stay in school until 3:25 pm (my classes are 85 min. long already), get home at 4:00, and still do my homework......>_> idiots
EricDeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#132 EricDeR
Member since 2005 • 412 Posts
extending 2 hours would suck balls. if they do that, they should ban homework so then it wont be so bad
trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
More dropouts.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Gog

thanks for the link. heres the part of the article that i dont understand:

"On average, U.S. students go to school 6.5 hours a day, 180 days a year, fewer than in many other industrialized countries, according to a report by the Education Sector, a Washington-based think tank."

The U.S. IMO is not an industrialized country anymore. We're very technological and deal with a lot of financial business. A ton of the manufacturing is done overseas, which brings me to my second point. Why is education so stressed in the true industrialized countries like China, when a lot of the population is going to go work in manufacturing companies anyway?
SDog624

Because the more technologically advanced a society is, the higher the need for better educated workers. The US is already attracting a lot of highly educated people from all over the world to make up for the people it can't find in its own country and face losing their technological edge. That's not a good thing for the US, nor for countries that lose their most valuable workforce that way.

Education is important in developing countries like China because they don't want to be stuck in being a cheap manufacturing force forever.

Â