extending school days by another 2 hours???

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SDog624
Member since 2003 • 2032 Posts
apparently theres a "nation-wide" plan for extending school days 2 hours longer. they think that by doing this, lessons will be less rushed and students will have more time to learn stuff better. well theyre considering it here in massachusetts and atleast one school is already trying it. i dont know about you guys but i have the rest of my life to work an 8 hour job (if i dont start my own company somehow), i dont need to spend 8 hours in school. i'm doing just fine and im in some honors classes too. if kids need extra help, its their responsibility to stay after school for help or they fail. whats going to happen to after school sports if we're not going to get out of school until the sun starts to go down?

go ahead and share your opinions on this idea that apparently is going to happen to all of america.

edit: heres the link thanks to cyrax-sektor

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_re_us/longer_school_days;_ylt=Aq9mIJcvzTatLT17wOkGV5PMWM0F
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 familyguy77
Member since 2005 • 2238 Posts
Stupid idea. Kids should have time to relax, have fun, establish relationships, it shouldn't be just work work work all day.
steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 steppinrazor88
Member since 2006 • 14441 Posts
LOL sucks for kids still in school!!!!
formula1racer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 formula1racer
Member since 2007 • 6075 Posts
since i graduated i dont care,but for you younger guys that would suck.
SnIpEjOn_H3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SnIpEjOn_H3
Member since 2007 • 41 Posts
This idea is not good. At all.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
Member since 2006 • 3052 Posts
I hope that doesn't happen. I have to stay in school for eight hours everyday, thats bad enough already.
funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts
I think they neglected the chance that kids will be driven to drop out of school. Lets see. A school usualy starts at 9 am? ends at 3-3:30 now. Getting off at 6-6:30?? Getting home at 7?? Pfft, to you, nation.
en-z-io

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 en-z-io
Member since 2004 • 3390 Posts
Stupid idea. Kids should have time to relax, have fun, establish relationships, it shouldn't be just work work work all day.familyguy77
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts
Stupid idea. Kids should have time to relax, have fun, establish relationships, it shouldn't be just work work work all day.familyguy77
No kidding. They might as well get jobs. Feel sorry for them. Scum bag government just wants more money, as usual. And the sad part is a few kids wanted the idea of extended school. Sell-outs! Not jk.
AgostonF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 AgostonF
Member since 2006 • 6965 Posts

Please.. no.. you're killing kids with stress..

SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts
ha, get used to it becuase 8 hours is a normal work day.  Although you get paid at work where as at school you don't.

If I was still in school I would hate that idea as well.
esb617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 esb617
Member since 2005 • 2464 Posts
I think they neglected the chance that kids will be driven to drop out of school. Lets see. A school usualy starts at 9 am? ends at 3-3:30 now. Getting off at 6-6:30?? Getting home at 7?? Pfft, to you, nation.funnymario
We're going back to Ancient Greece
SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SDog624
Member since 2003 • 2032 Posts
i'm a sophmore in high school right now so im hoping i'll graduate by the time this thing actually passes (if it does).
-kaz3-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -kaz3-
Member since 2006 • 7372 Posts
Ah,now it shall be more fair to some of us who bust our ass here in Asia from 7am to 4pm on decent days, only to come home to homework and a barrage of tests. Seriously, this is stupid. Kids should have more free-time, not come home to homework, and be considered as "lazy" when you don't do it. How much time do we have left in the day? an hour for some "down" time (excluding sleeping time)? Compared to what, 8 hours of classes?
dazman31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#15 dazman31
Member since 2005 • 2507 Posts
Thats a bad idea. Kids wouldn't learn better, it means that kids will be more tired towards the end of the day meaning less concentration, I mean we're already dead by the end of a normal school day as it is.
Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Caffeine_Trip
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts
Hopefully I'll be out of school by the time that happens.
en-z-io

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 en-z-io
Member since 2004 • 3390 Posts
Thats a bad idea. Kids wouldn't learn better, it means that kids will be more tired towards the end of the day meaning less concentration, I mean we're already dead by the end of a normal school day as it is. dazman31
Yeah. I have a hard enough time concentrating in class as it is...
yamum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yamum2
Member since 2007 • 5879 Posts
yer i heard about that. i pray that will never happen
ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts
Ick. If that happens, then I'll be forced to go to school for nine hours.
AgostonF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 AgostonF
Member since 2006 • 6965 Posts
[QUOTE="funnymario"]I think they neglected the chance that kids will be driven to drop out of school. Lets see. A school usualy starts at 9 am? ends at 3-3:30 now. Getting off at 6-6:30?? Getting home at 7?? Pfft, to you, nation.esb617
We're going back to Ancient Greece

But without the kickass buildings and clothing and weapons. Just more damn Math books..
-kaz3-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -kaz3-
Member since 2006 • 7372 Posts
Thats a bad idea. Kids wouldn't learn better, it means that kids will be more tired towards the end of the day meaning less concentration, I mean we're already dead by the end of a normal school day as it is. dazman31
Ah, yes, a solution would be improving the food in the schools, the easy way out would be to incorporate more carbohydrates into meals, thus making kids even more fat and unhealthy if not put in moderation.
tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
They better not bring that Idea here in L.A. My school life is just ordinary and pretty boring sometimes and extending it will just make it worse.
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 trix5817
Member since 2004 • 12252 Posts
ha, get used to it becuase 8 hours is a normal work day. Although you get paid at work where as at school you don't.

If I was still in school I would hate that idea as well.
SunofVich

My school day is 7 hours, so it would be a 9 hour school day. Then guess what I do after school? Go to lacrosse or soccer conditiong or practices. Then guess what I do after that? Do my homework. Then what? Relax for a little..if I have any time left. If they make the school day 2 hours longer, there is no free time or relaxation for student athletes. They are basically rushing things more, since students have to rush to get their homework done, so they can go to be before 1 o'clock, to get up the next day a 6 a.m. to go to school. It's funny, people always seem to forget that work doesn't end at the school, there's still A LOT of work to be done with homework, especially if you are taking hard forbidden>
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts
You mean i have to go to school for 11 hours now?
matrix_hiei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 matrix_hiei
Member since 2004 • 4793 Posts
i already go to school for 8 hours every day because i'm taking 7 periods, and i really don't want it extended to 10 hours...on top of that, i have 3-4 hours of homework per night. i only have 2 hours at most every night to relax, and extending school to take that away from me would drive me insane.
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trix5817
[QUOTE="dazman31"]Thats a bad idea. Kids wouldn't learn better, it means that kids will be more tired towards the end of the day meaning less concentration, I mean we're already dead by the end of a normal school day as it is. -kaz3-
Ah, yes, a solution would be improving the food in the schools, the easy way out would be to incorporate more carbohydrates into meals, thus making kids even more fat and unhealthy if not put in moderation.

Yeah, I love how the media says "EAT HEALTY YOU FATTIES", then in school cafeterias they mostly serve fatening greesy food, because it's cheaper than healthy food.
The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~Wow that sucks, I have no idea how lucky I am to be homeschooled. That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I would probably start ranting on and on but typing on a Wii is hard.:(~-~
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 trix5817
~-~Wow that sucks, I have no idea how lucky I am to be homeschooled. That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I would probably start ranting on and on but typing on a Wii is hard.:(~-~The_PirateKing

That must suck being home schooled. Have fun not having social skills!
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

No they shouldn't. Since when diud kids have a RIGHT to have teir whole lives being fun and games?

Of course, I'm against this too. But not for the same reason that you are. I'm against it because youcan't FORCE kids to learn. The ones who want to learn end up learning with a 6 hour day. Most kids don't give a ****about learning, and skate by on the minimum amount of effort. That's fine. If they want to do that and have no sense of scholarship, then b ig deal. Maybe that'll catch up with them, maybe it won't. Either way, **** em.

We shouldn't try to MAKE people educate themselves. We need to provide the OPPORTUNITY, and provide a good reason for education. After that, it should be entirely the student's responsibility. If they want to learn, they'll go BEYOND their duties and become the presidient. If they don't want to learn, tey can work at McDonalds. Both are noble jobs, and have my respect.
The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_PirateKing
[QUOTE="The_PirateKing"]~-~Wow that sucks, I have no idea how lucky I am to be homeschooled. That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I would probably start ranting on and on but typing on a Wii is hard.:(~-~trix5817

~-~Lol, yea sure, tell my sister that. She's out with friends more than she is at home. And by the way, I take classes at a community collage so it's not like I'm sealed up in a box.~-~
steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31 steppinrazor88
Member since 2006 • 14441 Posts
[QUOTE="trix5817"][QUOTE="The_PirateKing"]~-~Wow that sucks, I have no idea how lucky I am to be homeschooled. That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I would probably start ranting on and on but typing on a Wii is hard.:(~-~The_PirateKing

~-~Lol, yea sure, tell my sister that. She's out with friends more than she is at home. And by the way, I take classes at a community collage so it's not like I'm sealed up in a box.~-~

why aren't you out like your sister???
The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_PirateKing
[QUOTE="The_PirateKing"][QUOTE="trix5817"][QUOTE="The_PirateKing"]~-~Wow that sucks, I have no idea how lucky I am to be homeschooled. That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I would probably start ranting on and on but typing on a Wii is hard.:(~-~steppinrazor88

~-~You mean at 1:43am?:? You know what, I don't know.:shock:~-~
ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts
[QUOTE="steppinrazor88"][QUOTE="The_PirateKing"][QUOTE="trix5817"][QUOTE="The_PirateKing"]~-~Wow that sucks, I have no idea how lucky I am to be homeschooled. That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I would probably start ranting on and on but typing on a Wii is hard.:(~-~The_PirateKing

~-~You mean at 1:43am?:? You know what, I don't know.:shock:~-~

It's because you want to be with us instead. :o
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
Glad I'm out of school.  When I was in school teachers couldn't properly organize the time they had, IDK what makes them think extending the day is going to make this any better.

Here's what I went through in high school for most of my forbidden>
Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts
It's nice to be in college.

gtx-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gtx-1
Member since 2007 • 901 Posts
Egh, no. I already go to school for seven hours. Nine hours now? No way. 8 A.M. - 3 P.M. Once I hit ninth grade, it's going to be 7 A.M. - 2 P.M. I will NOT do two more hours of school, it's already bad enough.
Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Teuvan
Member since 2003 • 10151 Posts
I'm extremely glad that I dropped out in the first grade, took my GED, and advanced straight into college ^_^. The public school system fails horribly, and only manages to fail worse with time. Extending class hours will only allow for students to become bored quicker, as the classes will be even more ridiculously stretched out than they already are. When I was in the first grade, we focused an entire two weeks on learning the letter "M." And as I understand, it's gotten worse since then. The money it would take to extend hours by that much would be far better spent in other areas.
Avatar image for freakyzeeky1986
freakyzeeky1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 freakyzeeky1986
Member since 2005 • 19711 Posts
Good thing I graduated... 8)
disc0very

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 disc0very
Member since 2006 • 3636 Posts
Very bad idea, the only possible way of this working is to eliminate homework, but that won't happen either. Almost all of a persons day will then become school or school related things, and then they have no time to themselves or friends.
irtaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 irtaylor
Member since 2007 • 347 Posts
If this go's trough, I bet any amount of money the high school dropout rates are gonna increase a 10fold.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Thats stupid. School is long and boring enough at the moment.
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts

LOL sucks for kids still in school!!!!steppinrazor88

thats what i was gonna say

eggwaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 eggwaffle
Member since 2007 • 597 Posts
i feel sorry 4 u americans. i alredy have no free time as it is and mi skwl starts at 8:45 and ends at 3:30. too much homework aswell so basically ur day is gone thx to skwl.
jakecufc8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jakecufc8888
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
9 hours of school and I would become a truant.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
[QUOTE="familyguy77"]Stupid idea. Kids should have time to relax, have fun, establish relationships, it shouldn't be just work work work all day.MrGeezer

No they shouldn't. Since when diud kids have a RIGHT to have teir whole lives being fun and games?

Of course, I'm against this too. But not for the same reason that you are. I'm against it because youcan't FORCE kids to learn. The ones who want to learn end up learning with a 6 hour day. Most kids don't give a ****about learning, and skate by on the minimum amount of effort. That's fine. If they want to do that and have no sense of scholarship, then b ig deal. Maybe that'll catch up with them, maybe it won't. Either way, **** em.

We shouldn't try to MAKE people educate themselves. We need to provide the OPPORTUNITY, and provide a good reason for education. After that, it should be entirely the student's responsibility. If they want to learn, they'll go BEYOND their duties and become the presidient. If they don't want to learn, tey can work at McDonalds. Both are noble jobs, and have my respect.

Bingo. If I become a teacher, this'll be something I'll have to worry about and it may only get worse if this happens.
chip_money

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 chip_money
Member since 2006 • 2748 Posts
I'll pass on a 9 hour school day
Nick_996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nick_996
Member since 2004 • 3714 Posts
That would really suck - for both students and teachers.

But good thing Im in Canada.  And graduating this year so it would affect me anyway.
Avatar image for Taxpaying_Acorn
Taxpaying_Acorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Taxpaying_Acorn
Member since 2004 • 4952 Posts

Please.. no.. you're killing kids with stress..

AgostonF
If you think school is stress... you're going to be overwhelmed to death by the real world. Enjoy school while you can. :|
Known2regect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Known2regect
Member since 2007 • 417 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAHHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA ahahhahahahahhaha

it  sucks, Off with thier heads!!!!!!!!!
iMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 iMuffins
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts
This better not happen in Canada...