Evolution or God, which requires more skepticism to deny?

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

One thing that I have noticed from atheists and theists during my time here is that both sides are amazed at how the other can deny one thing that seems sure and yet affirm another that seems absurd.

The theist may wonder to himself 'how can these atheists deny something as evident as a divine being and yet say with such confidence that a theory as poorly supported as evolution is certain'. In the exact same way the atheist might ponder 'how can these theists even entertain thoughts about something as ridiculous as God and yet be skeptical about something as well supported as evolution'.

On the one hand people have the following reasons to think that God exists far beyond reasonable doubt

-The design aparrent in the universe and living organisms on earth

-The sheer existence of the universe as opposed to just nothing

-The miracles that happen daily and that defy materialistic explanation (near death experiences, the resurrection of Christ, events of the Bible)

-The prophecies that are fulfilled by holy texts

On the other hand people also have the following reasons to think that evolution undeniably occured

-Fossil evidence

-Genetic evidence

-Taxonomical orginization of life into a nested hierarchy

So who is being more skeptical, the person who denies God or the person who denies evolution?

Oh and if you affirm or deny both God and evolution (or are agnostic on both matters) that's nice but ultimately irrelevant to the question that I am asking. Feel free to add your input though.

NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.
diz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 diz360
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts

It depends on how you interpret the terms "deny" and "skeptical". The implication for me is that "deny" means to refuse to accept, whereas to be "skeptical" means to come to an informed (systematic doubt) sense of disbelief.

As an atheist, I am skeptical about God. I do not deny God, since I believe that no Gods exist.

I'd think Religious people are more prone to "deny", since scientific discoveries are backed up by hard evidence that can be discussed and reviewed.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 domatron23

It depends on how you interpret the terms "deny" and "skeptical". The implication for me is that "deny" means to refuse to accept, whereas to be "skeptical" means to come to an informed (systematic doubt) sense of disbelief.

As an atheist, I am skeptical about God. I do not deny God, since I believe that no Gods exist.

I'd think Religious people are more prone to "deny", since scientific discoveries are backed up by hard evidence that can be discussed and reviewed. diz360

By deny I simply mean to believe in the falsehood or non-existence of a proposition or entity.

I'd agree what you say about skepticism.

esbastica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 esbastica
Member since 2008 • 1665 Posts

lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.NaiKoN9293

exactly

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 domatron23

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.esbastica

exactly

The current poll results suggest that the distinction is not so obvious to everyone.

astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 astiop
Member since 2005 • 3582 Posts

On the one hand people have the following reasons to think that God exists far beyond reasonable doubt

-The design aparrent in the universe and living organisms on earth

domatron23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_life

That, along with evolution, is enough for me to give God the middle finger.

diz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 diz360
[QUOTE="esbastica"]

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.domatron23

exactly

The current poll results suggest that the distinction is not so obvious to everyone.

I confess I mistakenly clicked the wrong button, so please -1 from the deny Gods and +1 to deny evolution.

:oops:

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts
Aawww... these threads hurt my head. I think there's more evidence for evolution personally, but I still believe in God.
bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts

Why does it have to be one or the other? Couldn't God have created the world and given it the ability to evolve?

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
if you're referring to the Abrahamic God, then one would think a being that could do anything, know everything, and be everywhere would be just a tad easier to deny.
Nicolas101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nicolas101
Member since 2008 • 491 Posts
I am religious, AND believe that God created evolution. Because of all the evidence, I believe that you would be stupid to deny it. Denying God however, is easy, because there is no proof of his existence.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 domatron23

Why does it have to be one or the other? Couldn't God have created the world and given it the ability to evolve?

bdhoff

It doesn't have to be one or the other at all. You might have missed this -Oh and if you affirm or deny both God and evolution (or are agnostic on both matters) that's nice but ultimately irrelevant to the question that I am asking. Feel free to add your input though.

diz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 diz360

bdhoff

I am religious, AND believe that God created evolution. Because of all the evidence, I believe that you would be stupid to deny it. Denying God however, is easy, because there is no proof of his existence.Nicolas101

Woudn't you then either be Deists, or believe in Intelligent Design instead of evolution?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts
I don't know how you came up with your premise.
Belief in both God and evolution is common.....unless you just wanted to start another religion argument.
daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 daftdog
Member since 2003 • 910 Posts

Some people believe in both i don't know how this exactly works but hey i don't care and who am i to judge :)

drazhar2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 drazhar2000
Member since 2005 • 199 Posts

A supernatural being with unlimited power created the universe using his super brain! and people say UFO's are hard to believe... there in a book too doesn't that mean that UFO's are real? Shouldn't we pray to them as well?? And while we're at it shouldn't we pray to harry potter too?

daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 daftdog

A supernatural being with unlimited power created the universe using his super brain! and people say UFO's are hard to believe... there in a book too doesn't that mean that UFO's are real? Shouldn't we pray to them as well?? And while we're at it shouldn't we pray to harry potter too?

drazhar2000

Good point :)

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
They are pretty much both equally skeptics. Only diffrence is, people who deny God, tend to hate him. So it's usually a bias that tips them to the other side.
daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 daftdog

They are pretty much both equally skeptics. Only diffrence is, people who deny God, tend to hate him. So it's usually a bias that tips them to the other side.Silenthps

This is vice versa though, there are people who try to hinder science who of a faith or religion. Equally they are both skeptical.

reiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 reiv
Member since 2008 • 1038 Posts

I think that (very) religious people are less likely to understand evolution. Not because they don't want to, just because they think they don't need to. This is why so many creationists ask the famous question...

If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes?

At first glance it might seem like a sensible question, but it's really a lot of nonsense.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

There is a mountain of evidence to support evolution. It is a scientific fact. (something that creationists just keep denying with their fingers in their ears)

There is no evidence to support the existent of God what so ever (that's why you need faith... right?)

daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 daftdog

I think that (very) religious people are less likely to understand evolution. Not because they don't want to, just because they think they don't need to. This is why so many creationists ask the famous question...

At first glance it might seem like a sensible question, but it's really a lot of nonsense.

reiv

So what your saying is its not because they don't want to its just that they are ignorant and too stupid to understand? I agree if thats what your saying if people were to open their minds a bit more and learn about our world, life would be alot easier, scientists would get the respect they deserve and as a race of species we would be closer. Well thats what i think.

drazhar2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 drazhar2000
hey daftdog your sig is the greatest quote of all time!! you are truly a champion!
reiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 reiv
[QUOTE="reiv"]

daftdog

So what your saying is its not because they don't want to its just that they are ignorant and too stupid to understand? I agree if thats what your saying if people were to open their minds a bit more and learn about our world, life would be alot easier, scientists would get the respect they deserve and as a race of species we would be closer. Well thats what i think.

I didn't even remotely imply anyone was stupid. The fact is some people don't want to learn about other subjects. Some people think they know all they need to know on a subject, even when they don't.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Silenthps
[QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="reiv"]

reiv

I didn't even remotely imply anyone was stupid. The fact is some people don't want to learn about other subjects. Some people think they know all they need to know on a subject, even when they don't.

Same could be said about atheist who act like they have such intelligent theological arguements but really make themselves out to be fools.
drazhar2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 drazhar2000
[QUOTE="reiv"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="reiv"]

Silenthps

Same could be said about atheist who act like they have such intelligent theological arguements but really make themselves out to be fools.

athiest are fools? so beleving in a super natural being and that all humans were spawned from 1 dude and his "rib with organs" plus that a person was walking around doing things that make superman look like crap cos he was the son of a allmighty god doesnt make you a fool? jesus christ!

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Silenthps

[QUOTE="Silenthps"][QUOTE="reiv"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="reiv"]

drazhar2000

athiest are fools? so beleving in a super natural being and that all humans were spawned from 1 dude and his "rib with organs" plus that a person was walking around doing things that make superman look like crap cos he was the son of a allmighty god doesnt make you a fool? jesus christ!

No, im saying athiest who go to anti-theistic websites, pull up some bible quote that is taken completely out of text, and use that as an argument against the bible. Make themselves out to be just as foolish as the creationist who goes to an anti-evolution site etc... Both parties are guilty of not trying to understand the other side.

An athiest making a theological arguement against the bible, 90% of the time, looks just as stupid as a creationist arguing against evolution.

reiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 reiv
[QUOTE="reiv"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="reiv"]

Silenthps

I agree. I've made a fool out of myself countless times. No big deal. It happens. I'm human.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
what i have never understood, is WHY anyone NEEDS to believe in a god? i never did, and i'm not killing of people, i have morals, and know the difference between right and wrong, i even look at the world, life, and the universe with ALOT more respect and fascination. knowing there is no afterlife dose not make me afraid of dying. i really dont see what the problem is.
daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 daftdog

what i have never understood, is WHY anyone NEEDS to believe in a god? i never did, and i'm not killing of people, i have morals, and know the difference between right and wrong, i even look at the world, life, and the universe with ALOT more respect and fascination. knowing there is no afterlife dose not make me afraid of dying. i really dont see what the problem is.AlexKidd5000

I agree with this guy! I am the same, i think that some people though need a faith or else they feel that they are alone. Which is fair enough but when that faith starts to put innocent people in danger thats where i draw the line in being nice about religion. I feel that more people have been hurt by religion than helped. Thats my opinion!

Avatar image for deactivated-6224691f9a882
deactivated-6224691f9a882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6224691f9a882
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts

They are pretty much both equally skeptics. Only diffrence is, people who deny God, tend to hate him. So it's usually a bias that tips them to the other side.Silenthps

Difficult to hate something that doesn't exist in my opinion. But what i do hate is the moral high-ground people think they have when they are religious. Why should there morals be in anyway superior to anybody else's, go figure?

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"]what i have never understood, is WHY anyone NEEDS to believe in a god? i never did, and i'm not killing of people, i have morals, and know the difference between right and wrong, i even look at the world, life, and the universe with ALOT more respect and fascination. knowing there is no afterlife dose not make me afraid of dying. i really dont see what the problem is.daftdog

I agree with this guy! I am the same, i think that some people though need a faith or else they feel that they are alone. Which is fair enough but when that faith starts to put innocent people in danger thats where i draw the line in being nice about religion. I feel that more people have been hurt by religion than helped. Thats my opinion!

agreed. also agree with your sig.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.NaiKoN9293

There's no evidence for evolution, just a bunch of theories. There are no infallible proofs. Science hasn't proven anything, just brought in more questions than answers.

Did you ever hear the saying "It take more faith to believe in evolution?" Well, the saying is true. Science has not proven or disapproven evolution. And likewise, science has not disapproven the existence of God or a Supreme Being.

So how can you say science proved evolution? Which textbook and school are you studying from? Monkey University?

daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 daftdog

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.ASK_Story

There's no evidence for evolution, just a bunch of theories. There are no infallible proofs. Science hasn't proven anything, just brought in more questions than answers.

Clearly knows jack about evolution, its not even worth speaking to you. If you did know anything about evolution you would'nt say that.

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.ASK_Story

Did you ever hear the saying "It take more faith to believe in evolution?" Well, the saying is true. Science has not proven or disapproven evolution. And likewise, science has not disapproven the existence of God or a Supreme Being.

So how can you say science proved evolution? Which textbook and school are you studying from? Monkey University?

Sorry, just because you ignore the evidence and proof, doesn't mean it's not there. Yours is the typcial "bury your head in the sand" method most ultra religious people use to deny evolution.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

So how can you say science proved evolution? Which textbook are you studying from? Monkey University?

From Wikipedia:

The word theory has many distinct meanings in different fields of knowledge, depending on their methodologies and the context of discussion.

In science a theory is a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of naturalphenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise verified through empirical observation. For the scientist, "theory" is not in any way an antonym of "fact". For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behavior are Newton's theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and the general theory of relativity.

There's plenty of evidence for evolution. Whether you decide to believe it is your choice, but please don't try to deny that it exists.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.daftdog

Clearly knows jack about evolution, its not even worth speaking to you. If you did know anything about evolution you would'nt say that.

If evolution is definitely proven or a fact, why do people still debate about it? People don't debate or fight over facts.

reiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 reiv

Thanks. That post was great. A stellar example of what I was talking about.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

There's no evidence for evolution, just a bunch of theories

There is mountains of evidence for evolution. Why not just read a book and see? It is a scientific fact.

Also, you use the word "theory" out of context.

A scientific "theory" can also be a fact (just like gravity etc.)

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.metroidfood

So how can you say science proved evolution? Which textbook are you studying from? Monkey University?

From Wikipedia:

The word theory has many distinct meanings in different fields of knowledge, depending on their methodologies and the context of discussion.

In science a theory is a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of naturalphenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise verified through empirical observation. For the scientist, "theory" is not in any way an antonym of "fact". For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behavior are Newton's theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and the general theory of relativity.

There's plenty of evidence for evolution. Whether you decide to believe it is your choice, but please don't try to deny that it exists.

All I said was in reply to someone above that evolution has not been proven.

It turn I'm saying that it also takes faith to believe that evolution and not God is the reason for the origin of life.

It takes faith to believe in God and it takes faith to believe in evolution. Some believe in both for example. I'm presenting more questions not sermons.

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

From Wikipedia:

It turn I'm saying that it also takes faith to believe that evolution and not God is the reason for the origin of life.

It takes faith to believe in God and it takes faith to believe in evolution. Some believe in both for example. I'm presenting more questions not sermons.

It takes faith up until you have a look at the evidence, there's no faith required when you see proof.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts

If evolution is definitely proven or a fact, why do people still debate about it? People don't debate or fight over facts.

ASK_Story
The key word is people... practically all of the scientific community believes in evolution. The only people that deny it do so if it conflicts with their personal beliefs.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
[QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

:|:|:| *facepalm* daftdog already answered your question. :lol:
topic: One has evidence, the other does not. That's why I believe only in evolution.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.FamiBox

There's no evidence for evolution, just a bunch of theories

There is mountains of evidence for evolution. Why not just read a book and see? It is a scientific fact.

Also, you use the word "theory" out of context.

A scientific "theory" can also be a fact (just like gravity etc.)

Really? You believe everything in the book? How about all the other books that contradict or challenge evolution? How about those books?

Sorry, but you can't just read one text-book and say it's the truth. One truth maybe not truth to others.

And by the way, I've been to UCLA, and I never came across a science class where they said evolution is a scientific fact. I'm referining to the origins or life vs creation NOT heredity or adapting to the environment.

Have science proven we evolved from Monkeys? Have sciene proven the big bang theory is real? Not the word, Theory. It's not proven. It's not fact. And it also takes some faith to believe in these things.

daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 daftdog
[QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

Just because there are facts doesn't mean people wish to believe them. Most pople in this world are to ignorant to learn the facts or find the facts boring hence why we have religion. In summary religion is an easy way out because with science you have to actually work to discover things not just say 'oh well that must be a superior god that did that!' Religion is alot easier to learn than science thats what i am trying to say here.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="metroidfood"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.ithilgore2006

From Wikipedia:

It takes faith up until you have a look at the evidence, there's no faith required when you see proof.

Science has never proven that we came from monkeys or other things about the origins of life. You can believe that if you want, that's your choice.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]lets see. denying God which has been proven by noone shouldn't require a lot of skepticism. Denying evolution which has been proven by science should require a lot of skepticism.daftdog

Just because there are facts doesn't mean people wish to believe them. Most pople in this world are to ignorant to learn the facts or find the facts boring hence why we have religion. In summary religion is an easy way out because with science you have to actually work to discover things not just say 'oh well that must be a superior god that did that!' Religion is alot easier to learn than science thats what i am trying to say here.

Okay then. Show me a fact that we evolved from monkeys...you can't, so there you go. It's not a fact. It's not proven. There's no evidence, just observations. Observations mean nothing without definite proof. You can observe and see all you want but if it's not definite, than it's not truth.

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

Science has never proven that we came from monkeys or other things about the origins of life. You can believe that if you want, that's your choice.

ASK_Story
I don't think science will ever prove we came from monkeys.. because we didn't. :lol: Why don't you learn about this stuff before you try debating?