England banning smoking in public places.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#151 Sharvie
Member since 2006 • 8895 Posts
They have already banned smoking in public places in Scotland... now i can go into pubs etc and not get chocked by the amount of smoke in the building. :D
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
Crap. I hate smoking outside in the cold.
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#153 Apenoot
Member since 2005 • 2087 Posts

I refuse to believe that 30% of the population are that ignorant. No matter how addicted they are, surely they would still see the massive effects which would arise from banning cars? I don't think you understand how integral cars are to modern society. Whereas cigarettes are just an unhealthy yet addictive recreational item.Salvy41

I see the effects of banning cars aswell. But that goes both ways: we would need to rearrange our public transportation but the positive effects on the environment would be mayor aswell. See my post to Basic for my other points

fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
  This is good and now i can finally go to a pub to watch the game and not nearly choke to death because of the old guy in the corner smoking cigarette after cigarette for the whole of the match.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178880 Posts

Paragraph 1: I'd go to a bar if I weren't allowed to smoke inside, but what you get then is whole crowds of ppl going outside at night and some being drunk. You're not even allowed to be drunk on the street. Stuff will be vandalized. And a lot of non-smokers would come with the smokers. Happens at parties at non-smoking friends' houses I go to all the time. And there's also the point of the air ventilation system that's still standing. But like every other non-smoker that point is ignored. Unfortunatly I can only give Dutch links since I don't know how such a thing would be called in English. But google it... I'm sure you could find it.

Paragraph 2: You assume those restaurants complain to get smokers on their side, but with smoking being forbidden by law in such establishments there would be no sense for them to do so. You're just assuming they would.

Paragraph 3: Cars are NOT necessary. Public transportation would have to be re-arranged and if your wife is pregnant you'd have to take it into account, but it's perfectly doable. If you could make a choice between a world with no cars or one with no cigs... I'd pick the no car world. Better for the environment, better for everyones' health... But I guess since most ppl (even smokers) drive cars, they wouldn't want this. After all, it's inconvenient for them in which case any argument concerning the matter is moot to them.

Paragraph 4: For the last and final time: this point was made by me to show that 'evidence of second hand smoking damage' is bull. There is no way to distinquish damage done by factory polution from damage done by second hand smoking. Unless you show me statistics with seperate tables for different kinds of lung damage my point stands.

Paragraph 5: I KNOW smoking is bad for my health. I don't contest that. I know ppl who don't smoke think it's groce. So the solution is: don't hang around near smokers. Find a non-smoking bar/restaurant, don't follow them outside when smokers go there for a cig (many ppl really do this). I'm not infringing my bad habit onto anyone (and yes I'm one of those guys who will put out his cig if ppl are bothered by it)

Apenoot

So, in effect, you are saying non smokers do not have the right to go to a bar without risk of health?  Non smokers do not follow smokers outside as a rule......they wait for their friend to come back.

I've told you more than once that government imposes standards on emissions.  This seems to conveniently skip your notice.

Again...perhaps where you live they are not necessary....but in some areas they are and for emergencies....always. I don't know what kind of public transportation you have....but a bus schedule here is a schedule.  They don't come out because your wife goes in labor.  That is naive and unrealistic.

Lastly....again...non smokers avoid spending money where too much smoke is involved. Fact.  Remove the smoke and more potential consumers are created.  Logic.

lightthiscity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 lightthiscity
Member since 2007 • 92 Posts

The government has no place telling private business owners what it is that they can and can't allow within the confines of their own business establishements.

Don't like smoking? Don't go to places which allow smoking.

It's that simple. No one forces you to go to the pub down the street run by a smoker who allows smoking in his place of business. Stop whining about what other people do. No one is forcing you to associate with smokers at any point in time.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 LJS9502_basic

The government has no place telling private business owners what it is that they can and can't allow within the confines of their own business establishements.

Don't like smoking? Don't go to places which allow smoking.

It's that simple. No one forces you to go to the pub down the street run by a smoker who allows smoking in his place of business. Stop whining about what other people do. No one is forcing you to associate with smokers at any point in time.

lightthiscity

The government has been monitoring business since forever.  No one is forcing smokers not to smoke....just not to smoke in public.  You know....the considerate thing to do.

Israfel856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Israfel856
Member since 2006 • 2483 Posts
About time.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#159 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Don't like smoking? Don't go to places which allow smoking. lightthiscity
How about... Like Smoking? Go do it in a shed. :)
lightthiscity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 lightthiscity
Business owners have a right to allow smoking in their establishments. Provide me with a single example of "business regulation" comparable to this ban on smoking in private business establishments. The considerate thing to do would be for non smokers to refrain from complaining about what smokers do in places were smokers gather, such as a privately owned pub which allows smoking. Again, no one is forcing anyone that doesn't smoke to enter into privately owned establishments which allow smoking. Stating that government regulates business and using said statement as justification for this ban is assinine.
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Apenoot

Basic,

I suggest we stop arguing as I'm getting a little tired of having to say the same thing everytime but in different wording. You do the same thing, so it's really pretty pointless imo. We're not going to convince eachother, I think it's a persons' own choice to go to a public place that allows smoking. They can always go to a place where smoking isn't allowed... But they simply don't do so, which is why there are hardly any non-smoking bars. I guess the situation in the Netherlands is different from where you live or something, but here non smokers can be very hypocritical. Especially former smokers ^^.

Anyways that was my last say on this matter, I'm going to get some food now, and after that, I got a Company of Heroes match replay to evaluate with my clanmates 8)

Peace, Apenoot out!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 LJS9502_basic

Business owners have a right to allow smoking in their establishments. Provide me with a single example of "business regulation" comparable to this ban on smoking in private business establishments. The considerate thing to do would be for non smokers to refrain from complaining about what smokers do in places were smokers gather, such as a privately owned pub which allows smoking. Again, no one is forcing anyone that doesn't smoke to enter into privately owned establishments which allow smoking. Stating that government regulates business and using said statement as justification for this ban is assinine. lightthiscity

Business is not meant to discriminate.  By making pubs for smokers only....that's discrimination.  Besides, I'd assume like the US the UK monitors the health standards of anyplace serving food or drinks to the public.  Government involvement in private business......which is necessary.  Don't like not being smoke free in a pub........stay home and smoke up a storm in your home.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 LJS9502_basic

Basic,

I suggest we stop arguing as I'm getting a little tired of having to say the same thing everytime but in different wording. You do the same thing, so it's really pretty pointless imo. We're not going to convince eachother, I think it's a persons' own choice to go to a public place that allows smoking. They can always go to a place where smoking isn't allowed... But they simply don't do so, which is why there are hardly any non-smoking bars. I guess the situation in the Netherlands is different from where you live or something, but here non smokers can be very hypocritical. Especially former smokers ^^.

Anyways that was my last say on this matter, I'm going to get some food now, and after that, I got a Company of Heroes match replay to evaluate with my clanmates 8)

Peace, Apenoot out!

Apenoot

I have to go to work soon anyway......besides, you haven't addressed my points to you.

lightthiscity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 lightthiscity

[QUOTE="lightthiscity"]Business owners have a right to allow smoking in their establishments. Provide me with a single example of "business regulation" comparable to this ban on smoking in private business establishments. The considerate thing to do would be for non smokers to refrain from complaining about what smokers do in places were smokers gather, such as a privately owned pub which allows smoking. Again, no one is forcing anyone that doesn't smoke to enter into privately owned establishments which allow smoking. Stating that government regulates business and using said statement as justification for this ban is assinine. LJS9502_basic

Business is not meant to discriminate.  By making pubs for smokers only....that's discrimination.  Besides, I'd assume like the US the UK monitors the health standards of anyplace serving food or drinks to the public.  Government involvement in private business......which is necessary.  Don't like not being smoke free in a pub........stay home and smoke up a storm in your home.

I wasn't aware that establishments that allow smoking had "Smokers Only" signs on the front door and forceably removed those who didn't smoke.

The convoluted logic you've employed is laughable. I assume pubs discriminate against those who don't drink too, what, with all the drunk people and alcohol about I'd assume a lot of non drinkers would rather stay away. Maybe recovering alcoholics are being discriminated against too, I mean, a pub environment might cause them to want to endulge in their old habbits of drinking and what not; making them feel uncomfortable.

Don't like smoking? Don't go to places which allow it. Not every establishment in existence allows smoking. What makes you feel as though your rights trump the rights of those who smoke? You, nor anyone else, has the right to tell people what it is that they can do in relation to things such a smoking.

Just because you don't like smoking that doesn't give you the right to demand that everyone else stop when around you. You're forcing yourself on the smoking denizens of private establishents which allow smoking and you're telling them what they can and can't do becuase you don't like what it is that they indulge in.

You, nor the government, has the right to tell a private business owner that they can't allow smoking in a place THEY OWN.

Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Apenoot

besides, you haven't addressed my points to you.LJS9502_basic

I knew you were gonna say that :wink:

This debate had to end somewhere. Consider it a victory, I don't care :) 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="lightthiscity"]Business owners have a right to allow smoking in their establishments. Provide me with a single example of "business regulation" comparable to this ban on smoking in private business establishments. The considerate thing to do would be for non smokers to refrain from complaining about what smokers do in places were smokers gather, such as a privately owned pub which allows smoking. Again, no one is forcing anyone that doesn't smoke to enter into privately owned establishments which allow smoking. Stating that government regulates business and using said statement as justification for this ban is assinine. lightthiscity

I wasn't aware that establishments that allow smoking had "Smokers Only" signs on the front door and forceably removed those who didn't smoke.

The convoluted logic you've employed is laughable. I assume pubs discriminate against those who don't drink too, what, with all the drunk people and alcohol about I'd assume a lot of non drinkers would rather stay away. Maybe recovering alcoholics are being discriminated against too, I mean, a pub environment might cause them to want to endulge in their old habbits of drinking and what not; making them feel uncomfortable.

Don't like smoking? Don't go to places which allow it. Not every establishment in existence allows smoking. What makes you feel as though your rights trump the rights of those who smoke? You, nor anyone else, has the right to tell people what it is that they can do in relation to things such a smoking.

Just because you don't like smoking that doesn't give you the right to demand that everyone else stop when around you. You're forcing yourself on the smoking denizens of private establishents which allow smoking and you're telling them what they can and can't do becuase you don't like what it is that they indulge in.

You, nor the government, has the right to tell a private business owner that they can't allow smoking in a place THEY OWN.

If it's laughable it's because I used your logic and turned it against you.

FYI...where I live the private owner is given his liscense to run the business by the government.  So he does have to run his business by government rules.....or he should choose another business.  You fail to convince.

End of discussion.......

buckfush311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 buckfush311
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
[QUOTE="dommeus"]

This thread reminded me of some Bill Hicks quotes :

"I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I recommend you look around the world in which we live, and … I don't know, shut your ****ing mouth?"

"Non-smokers die every day. Sleep tight!"

"See, I know you entertain some kind of eternal life fantasy because you've chosen not to smoke; let me be the first to pop that f***ing bubble and send you hurtling back to reality – because you're dead too. And you know what doctors say: "S***, if only you'd smoked, we'd have the technology to help you. It's you people dying from nothing who are screwed."

Take these with a pinch of salt, us smokers aren't coming to r*** your wives and burn your houses.

Def_Jef88
that guys sounds like an idiot / jackass

Bill Hicks was GOD!!!!!!!
lightthiscity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 lightthiscity
[QUOTE="lightthiscity"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="lightthiscity"]Business owners have a right to allow smoking in their establishments. Provide me with a single example of "business regulation" comparable to this ban on smoking in private business establishments. The considerate thing to do would be for non smokers to refrain from complaining about what smokers do in places were smokers gather, such as a privately owned pub which allows smoking. Again, no one is forcing anyone that doesn't smoke to enter into privately owned establishments which allow smoking. Stating that government regulates business and using said statement as justification for this ban is assinine. LJS9502_basic

If it's laughable it's because I used your logic and turned in against you.

FYI...where I live the private owner is given his lisense to run the business by the government.  So he does have to run his business by government rules.....or he should choose another business.  You fail to convince.

You turned my logic against me?

No, you made a terrible point, seeing as how that's all you had room to make.

FYI, no one is stating that private business owners somehow have the right to one up the government as of this juncture in time and ignore regulations imposed by said government. What it is that is being discussed is the passing of regulations by the government restricting the freedoms of private business owners and a certain segment of the populace.

If you really can't formulate a better argument than, "I don't want to be around smokers," you should probably refrain from engaging in discussions such as this.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="lightthiscity"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="lightthiscity"]Business owners have a right to allow smoking in their establishments. Provide me with a single example of "business regulation" comparable to this ban on smoking in private business establishments. The considerate thing to do would be for non smokers to refrain from complaining about what smokers do in places were smokers gather, such as a privately owned pub which allows smoking. Again, no one is forcing anyone that doesn't smoke to enter into privately owned establishments which allow smoking. Stating that government regulates business and using said statement as justification for this ban is assinine. lightthiscity

FYI...where I live the private owner is given his lisense to run the business by the government.  So he does have to run his business by government rules.....or he should choose another business.  You fail to convince.

FYI, no one is stating that private business owners somehow have the right to one up the government as of this juncture in time and ignore regulations imposed by said government. What it is that is being discussed is the passing of regulations by the government restricting the freedoms of private business owners and a certain segment of the populace.

If you really can't formulate a better argument than, "I don't want to be around smokers," you should probably refrain from engaging in discussions such as this.

:lol:  Show me where I said I didn't want to be around smokers....for all you know I could be a smoker.  And yes, I used your logic against you.  Now I have to go to work but I'll be back this evening if you think you can hang.

PS...I gave examples of government regulation in private business throughout this thread.  Now since you add your own spin on posts I'm done with you.  Come back when you can debate me on what I actually do say.

lightthiscity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 lightthiscity
[QUOTE="lightthiscity"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="lightthiscity"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

:lol:  Show me where I said I didn't want to be around smokers....for all you know I could be a smoker.  And yes, I used your logic against you.  Now I have to go to work but I'll be back this evening if you think you can hang.

PS...I gave examples of government regulation in private business throughout this thread.  Now since you add your own spin on posts I'm done with you.  Come back when you can debate me on what I actually do say.

Oh no, I don't know if I can "hang" with internet intellectual LJS9502_basic.

No, you haven't said directly, "I don't want to be around smokers." You're right. I applaud you for your dazzling ability to point this out to me. However, every argument you've made thus far has been in support of that particular ideological mantra. Generally when someone expouses a tagline associated with an already well defined [as well as convoluted and overly simplistic] school of thought it is assumed that they support said thought as a pretext for debate.

PS. You'll note that when I asked you to provide examples of government regulation of private business I stated speficially that said examples be of regulations of the same nature as the smoking ban. The smoking ban sets a new precedent concerning government involvement in private business.  

That aside however, regardless of what "examples" you hopefully will provide in the future, the issue here isn't if the government tells people what they can and can't do, it's if they should have the right to tell business owners what they can and can't do. The issue at hand here is a lot bigger than, "LOLZ, I support/don't support the smoking ban."  

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#171 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
I'm completely sick of the backward logic of "it's a private business, the government shouldn't be allowed to dictate anything!' Can they serve spoiled meat? Not wash their hands? Would you be allowed to walk into a public place and start tossing poison everywhere with no legal consequence? As ridiculous as that sounds, smoking in public is exactly the same. It's for people's health. Just as people, for some reason I can't even comprehend, decide to smoke, there are those who decide that they'll go somewhere where smoking is permitted. This is pre-emptory action to protect the people. That's what a law is.
lightthiscity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 lightthiscity

I'm completely sick of the backward logic of "it's a private business, the government shouldn't be allowed to dictate anything!' Can they serve spoiled meat? Not wash their hands? Would you be allowed to walk into a public place and start tossing poison everywhere with no legal consequence? As ridiculous as that sounds, smoking in public is exactly the same. It's for people's health. Just as people, for some reason I can't even comprehend, decide to smoke, there are those who decide that they'll go somewhere where smoking is permitted. This is pre-emptory action to protect the people. That's what a law is.yodariquo

You'll note the term "private". You'll also note how it appears before the term business. A private business is just that, a private business. If I open up a bar, I reserve(or at least I should be able to reserve) the right to determine whether or not I want to allow people to smoke within my place of business.

Comparing a business owner allowing smoking to a business owner serving spoiled meat is a perfect example of completely ass backwards logic. There's a reason that what you managed to regurgitate there came off as being so ridiculous. That reason is that your attempted point is quite possibly the single most staggering example of convoluted and idiotic logic employed thus far throughout the whole of this thread.

Yes, smoking is bad for your health. Thank you for pointing that out. I had managed to forget about that aspect of the debate. Whether smoking is unhealthy isn't the issue. Whether a private business owner has the right to govern his own business is.

Engaging in a legal recreational activity is hardly comparable to ingesting spoiled meat in anyway whatsoever. Nice attempt at formulating a "shocking" and "edgy" point though.

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 yodariquo

[QUOTE="yodariquo"]I'm completely sick of the backward logic of "it's a private business, the government shouldn't be allowed to dictate anything!' Can they serve spoiled meat? Not wash their hands? Would you be allowed to walk into a public place and start tossing poison everywhere with no legal consequence? As ridiculous as that sounds, smoking in public is exactly the same. It's for people's health. Just as people, for some reason I can't even comprehend, decide to smoke, there are those who decide that they'll go somewhere where smoking is permitted. This is pre-emptory action to protect the people. That's what a law is.lightthiscity

You'll note the term "private". You'll also note how it appears before the term business. A private business is just that, a private business. If I open up a bar, I reserve(or at least I should be able to reserve) the right to determine whether or not I want to allow people to smoke within my place of business.

Comparing a business owner allowing smoking to a business owner serving spoiled meat is a perfect example of completely ass backwards logic. There's a reason that what you managed to regurgitate there came off as being so ridiculous. That reason is that your attempted point is quite possibly the single most staggering example of convoluted and idiotic logic employed thus far throughout the whole of this thread.

Yes, smoking is bad for your health. Thank you for pointing that out. I had managed to forget about that aspect of the debate. Whether smoking is unhealthy isn't the issue. Whether a private business owner has the right to govern his own business is.

Engaging in a legal recreational activity is hardly comparable to ingesting spoiled meat in anyway whatsoever. Nice attempt at formulating a "shocking" and "edgy" point though.

Govern your own business. As I said, can you do whatever you want? If you allow people to smoke in your business, then everyone in that building will in some form inhale that poison. Don't like it don't go there? The same applies to my point--don't like the low-grade ingredients, don't eat there. You fail to point out where the line should be drawn or more importantly why.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

But hey, I guess government involvement is okay if you personally don't like the thing being banned, right? Hypocrisy at its best.
LJS9502_basic

Do you complain that the government sets standards by the Health Department for the food and drink you consume? Do you complain that the government would get involved if your workplace was unsafe? OSHA

Why should smokers have all the rights and no one else has any. Everyone has as much right to see a sporting event or concert. The government should minimize the health risks involved.

One of the things most annoying about smokers is the selfish attitude.:roll:

lol...selfish attitude.

I'm not advocating that smoking is allowed in ALL bars/restaurants. I'm advocating that that decision is left up to the owner.

Notice how I never complained about how a certain bar that I go to doesn't allow smoking? That's because if I don't like not being able to smoke there, I don't have to go there.

And your analogy about food and drink standards is flawed. Because it's still legal to sell tobacco. It isn't legal to sell rotten food. If the government is going to allow me to continue PURCHASING cigarettes, then it damn sure ought to allow you the decision to breathe in secondhand smoke.

It's also legal to sell food....your point? My point was that the government is already involved in private business which you seem to neglect to mention.

Government makes laws that the people want....bottom line. Don't infringe your habit on others and the world will be a better place.

My point is that you're demanding government legislation taking away your choices when the "problem" is fully capable of being resolved by the free market.

If you want to throw away your freedoms just because you're too lazy to exercise responsibilty as a consumer, I don't want to hear you complaining when it turns around and bites you in the ass.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 MrGeezer

Business is not meant to discriminate. By making pubs for smokers only....that's discrimination. Besides, I'd assume like the US the UK monitors the health standards of anyplace serving food or drinks to the public. Government involvement in private business......which is necessary. Don't like not being smoke free in a pub........stay home and smoke up a storm in your home.

Before smoking bans, bars were NOT for smokers only.

Any nonsmoker has always been fully capable of walking into a smoke-filled bar and NOT smoking.
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
def. a great idea, hopefully everywhere is like this soon
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts
I love how smokers feel they have the right to just smoke where they please. You know what makes smoking different from the majority of habits? It is severely detrimental to the health of those around them. Even alcohol isn't detrimental to those who don't drink with the exception of drunk driving, which is against the law. Who cares if we already have pollution in the air? The major pollutants are things neccessary to our way of life. Smoking is totally unnneccessary. If you went and were dumb enough to get yourself addicted to it, too bad. It doesn't give you the right to fullfill your habit wherever you please. I seriously can't believe some of you don't actually believe the smoke is severely harmful. It seems like denial to me. If smoking isn't any more harmful than the pollutants in the air, then why is it mainly those who smoke or live with smokers that are getting lung cancer? Why is it that smoking around people, like me, with asthma can cause us to have panic attacks? It is because it destroys yours and everyone around yous lungs. You have no damn right to force your habit on anyone and you have NO RIGHT to ***** about your habit being outlawed in public places.
El_Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 El_Fanboy
Member since 2002 • 5789 Posts
ah, the unstoppable juggernaut that is homosapien social progression. just think, not too long ago we were clubbing our mates on the head and dragging them to our cave.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 LJS9502_basic

Oh no, I don't know if I can "hang" with internet intellectual LJS9502_basic.

No, you haven't said directly, "I don't want to be around smokers." You're right. I applaud you for your dazzling ability to point this out to me. However, every argument you've made thus far has been in support of that particular ideological mantra. Generally when someone expouses a tagline associated with an already well defined [as well as convoluted and overly simplistic] school of thought it is assumed that they support said thought as a pretext for debate.

PS. You'll note that when I asked you to provide examples of government regulation of private business I stated speficially that said examples be of regulations of the same nature as the smoking ban. The smoking ban sets a new precedent concerning government involvement in private business.  

That aside however, regardless of what "examples" you hopefully will provide in the future, the issue here isn't if the government tells people what they can and can't do, it's if they should have the right to tell business owners what they can and can't do. The issue at hand here is a lot bigger than, "LOLZ, I support/don't support the smoking ban."  

lightthiscity

Ah an alt account just to argue with me...

Nonetheless, unlike yourself I can argue dispassionately about a subject...so no...you don't know if I smoke and you did state that I posted comments I didn't.  Stick to what is said.

I gave several examples throughout the course of this debate.....perhaps if you took the time to read and not assume you would not make this mistake.

I already told you that where I live you have to have a license to operate said business.  Just like driving a car one has to abide by government rules if they want the license....oh yeah, sorry.   You didn't read the thread.

Oh no, I don't know if I can "hang" with internet intellectual LJS9502_basic. lightthiscity

No....you can't.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 LJS9502_basic

Any nonsmoker has always been fully capable of walking into a smoke-filled bar and NOT smoking.
MrGeezer

Bars are not for smokers only.....and until smokers can smoke without polluting the air around them....they don't smoke in public.

Second hand smoke effectively means non smokers ARE smoking.:wink:

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

LJS9502_basic

Bars are not for smokers only.....and until smokers can smoke without polluting the air around them....they don't smoke in public.

Ah, so you want the government to keep you from having the CHOICE whether or not to smoke.

Wouldn't it be much easier to simply choose not to smoke?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

Ah, so you want the government to keep you from having the CHOICE whether or not to smoke.

The government isn't deciding that at all....they are deciding where.  For the government to decide they would make smoking illegal period.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

LJS9502_basic

The government isn't deciding that at all....they are deciding where. For the government to decide they would make smoking illegal period.

They're deciding that you can't choose to inhale secondhand smoke on private property.

And once again, we're talking about private establishments. And the government is telling you that you can't allow a LEGAL activity on your own private property.

If that's their stance, then why DON'T they just outright ban tobacco for good?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 LJS9502_basic

They're deciding that you can't choose to inhale secondhand smoke on private property.

And once again, we're talking about private establishments. And the government is telling you that you can't allow a LEGAL activity on your own private property.

MrGeezer

One.....addiction of people that have smoked and Two.....and more importantly from the governments view...business.  Business runs the country.  Besides, we all know what happened with prohibition.

I don't know if this escaped your notice....but most people don't like inhaling second hand smoke.

As I've stated numerous times....government already makes rules in the food and health industry which are not inherently illegal....but if you want to serve food/drinks must be obeyed. 

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

LJS9502_basic

One.....addiction of people that have smoked and Two.....and more importantly from the governments view...business. Business runs the country. Besides, we all know what happened with prohibition.

I don't know if this escaped your notice....but most people don't like inhaling second hand smoke.

As I've stated numerous times....government already makes rules in the food and health industry which are not inherently illegal....but if you want to serve food/drinks must be obeyed.

The food is a bad analogy for the following reason...restaurants actually SERVE the food. Bars/restaurants do NOT serve tobacco.

A more appropriate analogy is this...Schools cannot serve rotten eggs. However, schools are not required to keep children from bringing their own rotten eggs to lunch. Would it be reasonable for sschools to prohibit students from bringing/trading their own lunches in order to ensure that all food eaten at the school meets health standards?
Laserwolf65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#186 Laserwolf65
Member since 2003 • 6701 Posts
They've done that in the state of New York, too. Personally, I like it very much to not have to be sucking in that wretched smoke. I must say that I'm surprised to see a European country taking such steps though. I hope all works out in the end.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Awesome! They should do it in every country.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

One.....addiction of people that have smoked and Two.....and more importantly from the governments view...business. Business runs the country. Besides, we all know what happened with prohibition.

The food is a bad analogy for the following reason...restaurants actually SERVE the food. Bars/restaurants do NOT serve tobacco.

A more appropriate analogy is this...Schools cannot serve rotten eggs. However, schools are not required to keep children from bringing their own rotten eggs to lunch. Would it be reasonable for sschools to prohibit students from bringing/trading their own lunches in order to ensure that all food eaten at the school meets health standards?

My point was that the government already regulates that industry.  Smoke is harmful to consumers just as much as bad food.  Watering alcohol down is not harmful per se....but it's regulated.  Even enforcing a drinking age is regulating the industry.  This is just another rule that will have to be dealt with.  Is it that difficult to step outside for a quick smoke....or just not smoke?

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 yodariquo
Many colleges are privately run, should they have the option of smoking inside? I mean, you could choose not to go to college, too. Hey, how about Wal-Mart? Let's have a smoke-filled Wal-Mart. Don't like it? Don't shop there! That would deter people from shopping at Wal-Mart!...right? That's far better than keeping people away from something that's inherently deadly.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 LJS9502_basic
I'm off to bed....but one last thing to consider. When you deal with the public the government does have the right to set standards.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

LJS9502_basic

My point was that the government already regulates that industry. Smoke is harmful to consumers just as much as bad food. Watering alcohol down is not harmful per se....but it's regulated. Even enforcing a drinking age is regulating the industry. This is just another rule that will have to be dealt with. Is it that difficult to step outside for a quick smoke....or just not smoke?

I just don't understand how the only compelling reason why we should be okay with government regulation is that businesses are already regulated.

I've always been a fan of fewer laws, unless those laws are necessary.

If you have what you think to be a problem, sure you CAN "fix" it with legislation. But why would you WANT to do that when the problem can be fixed equally well WITHOUT getting government involved?

Can you explain that to me, at least? Regardless of whether or not the government has a RIGHT to issue smoking bans in restaurants, can you explain to me why anyone would want to make this into law? The only reasons I can really think of are laziness and convenience.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#192 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Hurrah for England!
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#193 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
Ridiculous Brits taking away freedoms... Typical.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I'm cool with this. Second hand smoke gives me a headache so if people were not allowed to do so around me in public places I would be much happier.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
Great news, I always go out of my way to avoid people who smoke.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Good, I don't want people that lack self control anywhere around me in public.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Almost 6 years old...
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
dumb
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#199 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Ridiculous Brits taking away freedoms... Typical.lo_Pine
So You felt the need to revive a dead topic, well done.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#200 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]Ridiculous Brits taking away freedoms... Typical.shadowkiller11
So You felt the need to revive a dead topic, well done.

U mad?