England banning smoking in public places.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts
[QUOTE="Articuno76"][QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]Here is the proof for all you smokers just how badly your selfish behavior of forcing your nasty ass habits has on us: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_2X_Secondhand_Smoke-Clean_Indoor_Air.asp
Secondhand smoke can be harmful in many ways. In the United States alone, each year it is responsible for:
* an estimated 35,000 deaths from heart disease in people who live with smokers but are not current smokers
* about 3,400 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults
* other respiratory problems in nonsmokers, including coughing, phlegm, chest discomfort, and reduced lung function
* 150,000 to 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age, which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations
* increases in the number and severity of asthma attacks in about 200,000 to 1 million asthmatic children
* increased incidence of middle ear infections in young children

Edit: Sorry I had to space that out right. BTW I am one of the asthmatic children the surgeon general mentioned.

Where were these figures compiled? Some interesting figures.

I am not totally sure where they were compiled or how, but they are taken directly from the surgeon generals report that he did last year.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

To UK members, presenter Roy Castle famously died of lung cancer after never smoking a cigarette in his life. He was better known for presenting childrens program Record Breakers on BBC1. Before he got into television he was a Jazz musician and played at pubs and clubs for years. It was said he contracted the disease from the second hand smoke he breathed whilst performing at these clubs. After he was diagnosed with cancer, he made an anti-smoking video for school children, which is where I remember him from.

Heres the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Castle

He established a Lung Cancer Foundation before his death in 1994.

I'm not denying that smoking is harmful to myself and to others around me, I am just saying that it should be the establishments OWNER who decides what can and cannot go on in his/her establishment. It's HIS/HERS, and should fall under private laws, where smoking IS legal.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178880 Posts

To UK members, presenter Roy Castle famously died of lung cancer after never smoking a cigarette in his life. He was better known for presenting childrens program Record Breakers on BBC1. Before he got into television he was a Jazz musician and played at pubs and clubs for years. It was said he contracted the disease from the second hand smoke he breathed whilst performing at these clubs. After he was diagnosed with cancer, he made an anti-smoking video for school children, which is where I remember him from.

I'm not denying that smoking is harmful to myself and to others around me, I am just saying that it should be the establishments OWNER who decides what can and cannot go on in his/her establishment. It's HIS/HERS, and should fall under private laws, where smoking IS legal.

dommeus

Government always decides what the public is allowed to do.  Gambling, underage drinking, drugs.....these are already not allowed in the OWNER'S establishment....why should smoking be any different?

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

To UK members, presenter Roy Castle famously died of lung cancer after never smoking a cigarette in his life. He was better known for presenting childrens program Record Breakers on BBC1. Before he got into television he was a Jazz musician and played at pubs and clubs for years. It was said he contracted the disease from the second hand smoke he breathed whilst performing at these clubs. After he was diagnosed with cancer, he made an anti-smoking video for school children, which is where I remember him from.

Heres the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Castle

dommeus

No it shouldn't, because the fact is that it will be allowed in most places so as to encourage the smoker demographic to come. I would call for an all-out ban on cigarettes if I wasn't familiar with what happened with prohibition....
ipolych

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 ipolych
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
OK here is a scenario :
I like listening to music all day long as loud as my stereo can play it.  Should I be allowed to do that in public?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 LJS9502_basic
OK here is a scenario :
I like listening to music all day long as loud as my stereo can play it.  Should I be allowed to do that in public?
ipolych
There are laws against that as well......
Marx_Brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Marx_Brother
Member since 2007 • 726 Posts

OK here is a scenario :
ipolych

You've got to think about the comfort and health of other people around you. So the answer is no.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#108 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Fine by me. They banned it in the county where I live and it is nice to be able to go to some bars and restaurants that are fun to go to but I typically avoid because they’re too smoky. The state I live in is considering a state wide smoking ban.
ipolych

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 ipolych
[QUOTE="ipolych"]OK here is a scenario :
I like listening to music all day long as loud as my stereo can play it. Should I be allowed to do that in public?
LJS9502_basic

- First of all just because something is a law doesn't mean it's right - - Second I was hoping that a smoker would answer this scenario !
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#110 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
Good. Smoking is nasty. If you want to pollute your own body, fine, but it's no excuse to hurt others as well. I know a lot of people don't agree with me, but smoking is disgusting.stkr
My thoughts exactly. It's not fair to affect others with it.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ipolych"]OK here is a scenario :
I like listening to music all day long as loud as my stereo can play it. Should I be allowed to do that in public?
ipolych

- First of all just because something is a law doesn't mean it's right - - Second I was hoping that a smoker would answer this scenario !

Laws are made for the good of the public......
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Apenoot
Member since 2005 • 2087 Posts

*sigh* I see the anti-smoking razzia's have taken over GS aswell...

Let's forget about the law, hmmkay? It's not relevant to this discussion I think. Let's look at a few other things instead:

-LJS_Basic posted in here that places that banned smoking had increased profit. This is bull. I don't even need to link it or whatever, it's simply bull. Why? Because if this were true, ALL establishments would instantly ban smoking. And they don't. So it's very obvious that while it may be true for some certain branches, overall this statement is flawed. Logic FTW.

-The 'I don't want to be around smokers coz it stinks and is bad for my health'. Well, *I* don't want to be next to cars on the road when I go to work on my bike. I don't have a car, I don't want one. But I still need to 'suffer' from all the filth those cars produce when they drive past me on the road, or when I'm walking around in the city.

-Smoking is bad for you and should be banned for it. Yeah, eating junkfood is bad for you too. So is alcohol. Let's ban EVERYTHING that is unhealthy!

-'Millions of ppl suffer from bad effects because of second-hand smoke! Look at the statistics!'. Cool, can you also show me the statistics of the ppl that get asthma and other stuff because of all the factories we build? And while you're at it, I also want the statistics for all cases of lung cancer caused by cars. See where I'm getting? Just because there are elements in a deceased's body that are in cigarettes doesn't mean that the elements found actually ARE there because of cigarettes.

Well I could sum up some other stuff if I would try, but I don't feel like it. Like Mr.Geezer said, we live in a capitalistic world. If you anti-smoking Gestapo REALLY want bars and restaurants that are smoke-free, start one yourself. Don't keep coming to smoking bars and restaurants only to whine about the smoking. Go to a non-smoking one. After all, like LJS said they make more profit, so there should be plenty around soon enough.

Oh btw... I do know smoking is bad for ppl, and also for ppl around them... but the crusade against smoking is out of proportions to say the least (at one time, smoking was suddenly prohibited in the cantina of one of my earlier jobs and we all had to go outside [yes I am a smoker :P]. Guess what... all the non smokers came with us...)

Oh btw 2: the industry developed machines that can clean the air of smoke for over 90% however for some odd reason this is not known to many ppl and ignored by the non smokers that do know it.

ipolych

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 ipolych
Laws are made for the good of the public......LJS9502_basic
So what you are saying is that laws in Middle East are made for the good of women? (OK I know we are getting off topic here but this is interesting)
Marx_Brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Marx_Brother
Member since 2007 • 726 Posts

-Smoking is bad for you and should be banned for it. Yeah, eating junkfood is bad for you too. So is alcohol. Let's ban EVERYTHING that is unhealthy!

Apenoot

I don't think were are campaigning against banning smoking outright, just in public areas - smoke in your house all you want, just not around other people. Eating is different because it doesn't effect third parties.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#115 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Probably a good thing.  In the US, they have banned smoking in public places in many states.  I think it's healthier, especially for the nonsmokers.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#116 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="Apenoot"]

Marx_Brother

I don't think were are campaigning against banning smoking outright, just in public areas - smoke in your house all you want, just not around other people. Eating is different because it doesn't effect third parties.

Exactly.  Smoking is banned, not because it is unhealthy for the person doing it, but the for the fact that it damages the health of all those around.  Eating crappy food only hurts yourself.

And as far as alcohol, while the consumption of alcohol is generally bad for one's health, there are laws against endangering the health of others while intoxicated.

Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Apenoot
[QUOTE="Marx_Brother"][QUOTE="Apenoot"]

sonicare

Exactly.  Smoking is banned, not because it is unhealthy for the person doing it, but the for the fact that it damages the health of all those around.  Eating crappy food only hurts yourself.

And as far as alcohol, while the consumption of alcohol is generally bad for one's health, there are laws against endangering the health of others while intoxicated.

Bugger I already parried this argument aswell. I want cars banned, they are a luxery product aswell just like cigs and cause much more polution and environmental damage than smoking. They're also at least as bad for your health as cigarettes. Train, bus... all much cleaner and less health damaging than cars.

Also "I don't think were are campaigning against banning smoking outright" = truth, didn't word that carefully enough. My point still stands though.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 dommeus
[QUOTE="dommeus"]

LJS9502_basic

Government always decides what the public is allowed to do.  Gambling, underage drinking, drugs.....these are already not allowed in the OWNER'S establishment....why should smoking be any different?

You're twisting it a bit there. I didn't say people should break the law. I disagree with the law they've implemented. Underage drinking and drugs are illegal out and out, smoking isn't illegal.

Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Apenoot
Discussing law is a bit pointless in this thread... Gouvernment involvement is not consistent on every level and should thus not be used in a discussion like this. Let's stick to common sense.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 LJS9502_basic

Let's forget about the law, hmmkay? It's not relevant to this discussion I think. Let's look at a few other things instead:

-LJS_Basic posted in here that places that banned smoking had increased profit. This is bull. I don't even need to link it or whatever, it's simply bull. Why? Because if this were true, ALL establishments would instantly ban smoking. And they don't. So it's very obvious that while it may be true for some certain branches, overall this statement is flawed. Logic FTW.

-The 'I don't want to be around smokers coz it stinks and is bad for my health'. Well, *I* don't want to be next to cars on the road when I go to work on my bike. I don't have a car, I don't want one. But I still need to 'suffer' from all the filth those cars produce when they drive past me on the road, or when I'm walking around in the city.

-'Millions of ppl suffer from bad effects because of second-hand smoke! Look at the statistics!'. Cool, can you also show me the statistics of the ppl that get asthma and other stuff because of all the factories we build? And while you're at it, I also want the statistics for all cases of lung cancer caused by cars. See where I'm getting? Just because there are elements in a deceased's body that are in cigarettes doesn't mean that the elements found actually ARE there because of cigarettes.

Well I could sum up some other stuff if I would try, but I don't feel like it. Like Mr.Geezer said, we live in a capitalistic world. If you anti-smoking Gestapo REALLY want bars and restaurants that are smoke-free, start one yourself. Don't keep coming to smoking bars and restaurants only to whine about the smoking. Go to a non-smoking one. After all, like LJS said they make more profit, so there should be plenty around soon enough.

Oh btw... I do know smoking is bad for ppl, and also for ppl around them... but the crusade against smoking is out of proportions to say the least (at one time, smoking was suddenly prohibited in the cantina of one of my earlier jobs and we all had to go outside [yes I am a smoker :P]. Guess what... all the non smokers came with us...)

Oh btw 2: the industry developed machines that can clean the air of smoke for over 90% however for some odd reason this is not known to many ppl and ignored by the non smokers that do know it.

Apenoot

http://www.jointogether.org/news/headlines/inthenews/2002/smoke-free-restaurants.html

sahredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 sahredd
Member since 2004 • 292 Posts
Good. They should take away smoking all together so more people don't get hooked. It serves no purpose in this world besides to make the big guys richerxwolfghost

Right. And then they can take away alcohol, and caffeine, and all other legal substances that can cause addiction. Like it or not, smoking is a huge part of the world, and it's been that way for a long time. I smoke, but I am considerate - I don't smoke when I'm around a lot of other people. Overall, anti-smoking legislation is going too far. My right to enjoy a cigarette in a public place should not be taken away just because people don't like it. In major cities, there's tons of pollution anyway, so quit crying about breathing "foul air" or whatever every time you see a smoker.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="dommeus"]

dommeus

You're twisting it a bit there. I didn't say people should break the law. I disagree with the law they've implemented. Underage drinking and drugs are illegal out and out, smoking isn't illegal.

I didn't twist anything....I pointed out that government already tells private business what is and isn't allowed on their property.  This is no different.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 LJS9502_basic
Apenoot.....logic dictates that if a segment of the population does not frequent your establishment due to smoke in the air then eliminating the smoke increases consumers. Logic FTW.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 dommeus
[QUOTE="dommeus"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="dommeus"]

LJS9502_basic

I didn't twist anything....I pointed out that government already tells private business what is and isn't allowed on their property.  This is no different.

Well in that case I believe the law being imposed in July 2007 is unfair!

Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Apenoot
[QUOTE="Apenoot"]...Very long rant...

LJS9502_basic

http://www.jointogether.org/news/headlines/inthenews/2002/smoke-free-restaurants.html

I never doubted that what you said would be true, you are generally well informed. However it's most likely not the whole of the story. First of all: non-smokers might see the banning of smoking as a reason to suddenly go visit a restaurant while they wouldn't do so before coz of the smoking. The smokers however will still come. However, there was a citywide prohibition of smoking, so you can't compare the smoking to non-smoking restaurants.

Second: just restaurants. What about bars and clubs? And like I said before, if your point is the entire truth then why don't bars and restaurants ban smoking en-masse?

@ everyone: Don't get me wrong people I can understand it if ppl don't like me smoking under their noses, but it just happens too often that f.e while I'm waiting for a train the entire platform is abandoned except for one whiney fellow standing right under my nose complaining about the smoke. FFS go stand somewhere else.

I also like it how ppl try to counter individual parts of my rant before, and not the whole. Try that. Not possible (I think at least, but I dare y'all to try :wink: ).

Satanshelper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Satanshelper
Member since 2006 • 2812 Posts
I live here and I doubt their will eb much of a difference, and to whoever said that England wasn't very healthy, that is crap, England is relatively healthy.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Apenoot"]...Very long rant...

Apenoot

I never doubted that what you said would be true, you are generally well informed. However it's most likely not the whole of the story. First of all: non-smokers might see the banning of smoking as a reason to suddenly go visit a restaurant while they wouldn't do so before coz of the smoking. The smokers however will still come. However, there was a citywide prohibition of smoking, so you can't compare the smoking to non-smoking restaurants.

Second: just restaurants. What about bars and clubs? And like I said before, if your point is the entire truth then why don't bars and restaurants ban smoking en-masse?

@ everyone: Don't get me wrong people I can understand it if ppl don't like me smoking under their noses, but it just happens too often that f.e while I'm waiting for a train the entire platform is abandoned except for one whiney fellow standing right under my nose complaining about the smoke. FFS go stand somewhere else.

I also like it how ppl try to counter individual parts of my rant before, and not the whole. Try that. Not possible (I think at least, but I dare y'all to try :wink: ).

Restaurants and bars are included together.  They compare the business before and after the inactment of the law.

Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Apenoot

Restaurants and bars are included together.  They compare the business before and after the inactment of the law.

LJS9502_basic

They only talk about restaurants in this article. So either you've read some more on this or you are just guessing it includes bars aswell. Also, my other points still stand. Care to counter them? Discussion FTW! :D

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#129 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

all of the crap from cars and factorys is full of harmfull chemicals. You breath in all sort of **** and you don't even know. There are harmful chemicals in foods, sources of hydration and medicines. Many medicines cause organ deteroration and failure. We're all lab rats. Everything you breath, eat and drink kills you.

Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Apenoot

all of the crap from cars and factorys is full of harmfull chemicals. You breath in all sort of **** and you don't even know. There are harmful chemicals in foods, sources of hydration and medicines. Many medicines cause organ deteroration and failure. We're all lab rats. Everything you breath, eat and drink kills you. MagnumPI

Which is why those statistics on deseases and deaths caused by 'second-hand smoke' are BS. I second ya

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] 

Apenoot

They only talk about restaurants in this article. So either you've read some more on this or you are just guessing it includes bars aswell. Also, my other points still stand. Care to counter them? Discussion FTW! :D

Other points?  As I stated bars are included. Cars are necessary.  Second hand smoke is harmful.

Avatar image for deactivated-612079a2c3358
deactivated-612079a2c3358

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 deactivated-612079a2c3358
Member since 2004 • 1957 Posts

Well I could sum up some other stuff if I would try, but I don't feel like it. Like Mr.Geezer said, we live in a capitalistic world. If you anti-smoking Gestapo REALLY want bars and restaurants that are smoke-free, start one yourself. Don't keep coming to smoking bars and restaurants only to whine about the smoking. Go to a non-smoking one. After all, like LJS said they make more profit, so there should be plenty around soon enough.

Apenoot
To your first point: I don't know of any statistics or otherwise on this, it would most likely differ with each establishment. Second: Cars and cigarettes are very different. Without cars and other forms of transportation, society and economy would collapse. However polluting these vehicles may be, they are still necessary to civilised nations. On the other hand, cigarettes are merely a form of recreation. Wouldn't you prefer smoking to be banned than cars to be banned? Third: I see your point here, as long as a smoker is causing no harm to others then smoking need not be banned. Fourth:Connected to the cars point. Unfortunately, factories are necessary. Or at least more necessary than cigarettes. But the effects of factories aren't as physically noticeable (unless you live in a very industrial city). People can see cigarette smoke, they can smell it and notice they are inhaling it. It is not just the health risk of smoke which non-smokers dislike, but the fact that it is generally unpleasant and cigarettes recreational. Nothing is gained from the existence of cigarettes, whilst factories generate power which is required for most nations.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#133 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I think it's great. Less carbon monoxide for me to inhale when I don't want it in the first place. Cigarettes are like legal crack.
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Apenoot

Other points?  As I stated bars are included.LJS9502_basic

Read the article again man, it says "The researchers found that total restaurant sales continued to climb in all four cities". It doesn't mention bars ANYWHERE. And I studied journalism so don't tell me how they 'do' statistics. If it doesn't explicitly say 'bars are included' in an article, it means that bars are NOT included. Don't understand why you keep saying it does.

My other points? For example: why don't restaurants ban smoking en-masse now that this revelation where made? And also...

The rest of my looooong rant including the air ventilation system with over 90% filtering capability, the comparison with cars and factory junk that are undoubtedly in my lungs aswell etc. etc.

My point is: demonizing smokers is going a bit too far atm.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Other points?  As I stated bars are included.Apenoot

Read the article again man, it says "The researchers found that total restaurant sales continued to climb in all four cities". It doesn't mention bars ANYWHERE. And I studied journalism so don't tell me how they 'do' statistics. If it doesn't explicitly say 'bars are included' in an article, it means that bars are NOT included. Don't understand why you keep saying it does.

My other points? For example: why don't restaurants ban smoking en-masse now that this revelation where made? And also...

The rest of my looooong rant including the air ventilation system with over 90% filtering capability, the comparison with cars and factory junk that are undoubtedly in my lungs aswell etc. etc.

My point is: demonizing smokers is going a bit too far atm.

Yes...but bar business has increased as well.  As I said a large segment of the population doesn't frequent bars due to the smoking atmosphere.  Common sense and research do back up that banning smoking increases consumers. I've read the reports.....don't want to search.

Restaurants didn't ban smoking en masse prior because there was no study informing them they wouldn't lose money.  Plus, they did not really care.

Cars and factories are necessary.  The government has cracked down on emissions from both.  Your point is moot.

No one cares if someone chooses to smoke......as long as they don't force non smokers to inhale their cigarette's etc.

04JETTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 04JETTA
Member since 2005 • 5769 Posts
Good. Smoking is nasty. If you want to pollute your own body, fine, but it's no excuse to hurt others as well. I know a lot of people don't agree with me, but smoking is disgusting.stkr
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Apenoot

To your first point: I don't know of any statistics or otherwise on this, it would most likely differ with each establishment. Second: Cars and cigarettes are very different. Without cars and other forms of transportation, society and economy would collapse. However polluting these vehicles may be, they are still necessary to civilised nations. On the other hand, cigarettes are merely a form of recreation. Wouldn't you prefer smoking to be banned than cars to be banned? Third: I see your point here, as long as a smoker is causing no harm to others then smoking need not be banned. Fourth:Connected to the cars point. Unfortunately, factories are necessary. Or at least more necessary than cigarettes. But the effects of factories aren't as physically noticeable (unless you live in a very industrial city). People can see cigarette smoke, they can smell it and notice they are inhaling it. It is not just the health risk of smoke which non-smokers dislike, but the fact that it is generally unpleasant and cigarettes recreational. Nothing is gained from the existence of cigarettes, whilst factories generate power which is required for most nations.Salvy41

First point: well see my other posts :)

Second point: public transportation could be used as a cleaner alternative to cars. Cars are a luxery product (like cigs) and as much as you might think you 'can't go without them', this is not true. I don't have a car and I can get everywhere I like. I'm not really against cars, btw, I use it as an example and to show how double arguing about smoking is.

Fourth point: that's because you're used to it. The air is cleaner where I live now, but when I visit friends back at where I came from, it stinks. For an hour or two. After that, you're used to it. Also this point was mainly made to show that statistics about 'hazzards of second-hand smoke' are shady, to say the least

If I could stop smoking just like that... I'd do it. The idea of one poster to stop selling cigs to ppl born after a certain date is good. However, millions of ppl smoke, and if it were easy to stop, they'd do it. Don't listen to ppl saying 'I stopped easily, don't understand why smokers are complaining about it'... ignore this person. For some it's easy, but for most, quitting is freaking hard and I know all about it :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-612079a2c3358

[QUOTE="Salvy41"]To your first point: I don't know of any statistics or otherwise on this, it would most likely differ with each establishment. Second: Cars and cigarettes are very different. Without cars and other forms of transportation, society and economy would collapse. However polluting these vehicles may be, they are still necessary to civilised nations. On the other hand, cigarettes are merely a form of recreation. Wouldn't you prefer smoking to be banned than cars to be banned? Third: I see your point here, as long as a smoker is causing no harm to others then smoking need not be banned. Fourth:Connected to the cars point. Unfortunately, factories are necessary. Or at least more necessary than cigarettes. But the effects of factories aren't as physically noticeable (unless you live in a very industrial city). People can see cigarette smoke, they can smell it and notice they are inhaling it. It is not just the health risk of smoke which non-smokers dislike, but the fact that it is generally unpleasant and cigarettes recreational. Nothing is gained from the existence of cigarettes, whilst factories generate power which is required for most nations.Apenoot

First point: well see my other posts :)

Second point: public transportation could be used as a cleaner alternative to cars. Cars are a luxery product (like cigs) and as much as you might think you 'can't go without them', this is not true. I don't have a car and I can get everywhere I like. I'm not really against cars, btw, I use it as an example and to show how double arguing about smoking is.

Fourth point: that's because you're used to it. The air is cleaner where I live now, but when I visit friends back at where I came from, it stinks. For an hour or two. After that, you're used to it. Also this point was mainly made to show that statistics about 'hazzards of second-hand smoke' are shady, to say the least

If I could stop smoking just like that... I'd do it. The idea of one poster to stop selling cigs to ppl born after a certain date is good. However, millions of ppl smoke, and if it were easy to stop, they'd do it. Don't listen to ppl saying 'I stopped easily, don't understand why smokers are complaining about it'... ignore this person. For some it's easy, but for most, quitting is freaking hard and I know all about it :(

Sure you might be able to live fine without a car. But if you banned cars and any other form of polluting  vehicle, do you honestly think everyone would be fine? The economy wouldn't change? How are the police, fire service and ambulance going to operate without their vehicles? Cars are a luxury to some people, but to others they are necessary. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to walk or use a bicycle to get to work. What I'm saying is: Banning cars = massive inconvenience to society. Banning cigarettes = Nowhere near as big an impact.
demon_turkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 demon_turkey
Member since 2004 • 10220 Posts
go england! hopefully the rest of the world will follow suit eventually too
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Apenoot
Yes...but bar business has increased as well.  As I said a large segment of the population doesn't frequent bars due to the smoking atmosphere.  Common sense and research do back up that banning smoking increases consumers. I've read the reports.....don't want to search.

Restaurants didn't ban smoking en masse prior because there was no study informing them they wouldn't lose money.  Plus, they did not really care.

Cars and factories are necessary.  The government has cracked down on emissions from both.  Your point is moot.

No one cares if someone chooses to smoke......as long as they don't force non smokers to inhale their cigarette's etc.

LJS9502_basic

Your common sense tells you ppl that don't like smoking often don't go to bars and restaurants, which is not true. I don't know a single soul who reasons like this, though maybe there's a difference in attitude between our countries regarding this (but I doubt it). Restaurants also still don't ban smoking here en masse because they don't WANT TO. Apparantly those waiters and cooks all LOVE the smell of tobacco. Or, there might be another reason why they don't.

Cars are not necessary, public transport is cleaner. I can get everywhere on foot, on my bike, or by using the train. Factories ARE needed BUT! as I stated in another post, my point here was to show that statistics concerning damage caused by second hand smoke are shady. Any number of factors could cause the damage (like the aforementioned factories etc)

"No one cares if someone chooses to smoke......as long as they don't force non smokers to inhale their cigarette's etc."

THE whole point of all the smokers hating. People hate it, so they will come up with all kind of bogus to 'prove how they are negatively affected by it'. At least with all the taxes, the 'I don't want to pay for a smokers lung cancer' bs is over, guess shady stats about second hand smoking is the next hot item. Smoking is not good for anyone, but non-smokers are starting to act more and more like the gestapo nowadays.

Let me smoke my ciggie in peace 8)

EDIT: @ Salvy41: Again, my point is not to ban cars... :wink: But it's reasoning along the same line as trying to ban cigs (also I was only talking about cars for private use, sorry if I didnt make that clear enough). I think 30% of the population wouldn't agree with you if you said that banning smoking is nowhere near as dramatic as banning cars :D:D Don't touch our ciggies! :lol: (my parents used to be fairly poor when I was a baby and they'd cut down on their own food to be able to afford my food and... cigs... kinda sad when ya think about it... :P )

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 deactivated-612079a2c3358
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yes...but bar business has increased as well. As I said a large segment of the population doesn't frequent bars due to the smoking atmosphere. Common sense and research do back up that banning smoking increases consumers. I've read the reports.....don't want to search.

Restaurants didn't ban smoking en masse prior because there was no study informing them they wouldn't lose money. Plus, they did not really care.

Cars and factories are necessary. The government has cracked down on emissions from both. Your point is moot.

Apenoot

Your common sense tells you ppl that don't like smoking often don't go to bars and restaurants, which is not true. I don't know a single soul who reasons like this, though maybe there's a difference in attitude between our countries regarding this (but I doubt it). Restaurants also still don't ban smoking here en masse because they don't WANT TO. Apparantly those waiters and cooks all LOVE the smell of tobacco. Or, there might be another reason why they don't.

Cars are not necessary, public transport is cleaner. I can get everywhere on foot, on my bike, or by using the train. Factories ARE needed BUT! as I stated in another post, my point here was to show that statistics concerning damage caused by second hand smoke are shady. Any number of factors could cause the damage (like the aforementioned factories etc)

"No one cares if someone chooses to smoke......as long as they don't force non smokers to inhale their cigarette's etc."

THE whole point of all the smokers hating. People hate it, so they will come up with all kind of bogus to 'prove how they are negatively affected by it'. At least with all the taxes, the 'I don't want to pay for a smokers lung cancer' bs is over, guess shady stats about second hand smoking is the next hot item. Smoking is not good for anyone, but non-smokers are starting to act more and more like the gestapo nowadays.

Let's take this scenario: Cars (only cars) were banned worldwide tomorrow. The world would be completely fine as people can just use public transport without needing this 'luxury'?
tooELEET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 tooELEET
Member since 2006 • 265 Posts
What kind of loser smokes anyway? o_O
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Apenoot

What kind of loser smokes anyway? o_OtooELEET

*raises hand* :D:D 

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#144 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Yay communism.. I guess. I mean cause who cares which rights they abuse or exploit because they would never take advantage of abuse any of your rights.:roll: Cuz you teh koolest. Only the unhip get the razz.

If my business is built on my privately owned not government owned property doesn't restrict smoking I don't understand why the government can tell me which legalized substances can be used on my property. None other than an illegitimate law that exists merely to have another excuse to get money from people.

tooELEET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 tooELEET
Member since 2006 • 265 Posts

[QUOTE="tooELEET"]What kind of loser smokes anyway? o_OApenoot

*raises hand* :D:D

lol loser :P
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Apenoot

Salvy, my respons to you was edited in on my previous post... I'll copy paste it here...

EDIT: @ Salvy41: Again, my point is not to ban cars... But it's reasoning along the same line as trying to ban cigs (also I was only talking about cars for private use, sorry if I didnt make that clear enough). I think 30% of the population wouldn't agree with you if you said that banning smoking is nowhere near as dramatic as banning cars Don't touch our ciggies! (my parents used to be fairly poor when I was a baby and they'd cut down on their own food to be able to afford my food and... cigs... kinda sad when ya think about it...  )

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 LJS9502_basic

Cars are not necessary, public transport is cleaner. I can get everywhere on foot, on my bike, or by using the train. Factories ARE needed BUT! as I stated in another post, my point here was to show that statistics concerning damage caused by second hand smoke are shady. Any number of factors could cause the damage (like the aforementioned factories etc)

"No one cares if someone chooses to smoke......as long as they don't force non smokers to inhale their cigarette's etc."

Apenoot

One.....it's not common sense I rely on...I know plenty of people that refuse to go to bars due to the smoke.  Research as it were.  And after an initial adjustment the smokers would be there just as always.  They won't stop drinking just because they have to go outside for a quick smoke.

As I stated before....without empirical evidence to the contrary restaurants would be afraid of losing business.  Now that laws are in effect and study show otherwise....they don't care.  They do the token complaint so that smokers feel they are on their side...but profit is what runs the business.

Cars are necessary.  Let me see you get your pregnant wife to the hospital at 3 Am relying on public transportation.  Couple that with the fact that some cities have a terrible system for public transportation.  I can assure where I live it's the worst.

Again I did state the government has cracked down on both automakers and factories to burn less hazardous materials.  So that argument is frivolous....

The medical field discovered the hazards of smoke.  Period.  Now I want you to tell me why your habit should infringe on someone elses right to breathe clean air.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-612079a2c3358

Salvy, my respons to you was edited in on my previous post... I'll copy paste it here...

EDIT: @ Salvy41: Again, my point is not to ban cars... But it's reasoning along the same line as trying to ban cigs (also I was only talking about cars for private use, sorry if I didnt make that clear enough). I think 30% of the population wouldn't agree with you if you said that banning smoking is nowhere near as dramatic as banning cars Don't touch our ciggies! (my parents used to be fairly poor when I was a baby and they'd cut down on their own food to be able to afford my food and... cigs... kinda sad when ya think about it... )

Apenoot
I refuse to believe that 30% of the population are that ignorant. No matter how addicted they are, surely they would still see the massive effects which would arise from banning cars? I don't think you understand how integral cars are to modern society. Whereas cigarettes are just an unhealthy yet addictive recreational item.
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Apenoot
One.....it's not common sense I rely on...I know plenty of people that refuse to go to bars due to the smoke.  Research as it were.  And after an initial adjustment the smokers would be there just as always.  They won't stop drinking just because they have to go outside for a quick smoke.

As I stated before....without empirical evidence to the contrary restaurants would be afraid of losing business.  Now that laws are in effect and study show otherwise....they don't care.  They do the token complaint so that smokers feel they are on their side...but profit is what runs the business.

Cars are necessary.  Let me see you get your pregnant wife to the hospital at 3 Am relying on public transportation.  Couple that with the fact that some cities have a terrible system for public transportation.  I can assure where I live it's the worst.

Again I did state the government has cracked down on both automakers and factories to burn less hazardous materials.  So that argument is frivolous....

The medical field discovered the hazards of smoke.  Period.  Now I want you to tell me why your habit should infringe on someone elses right to breathe clean air.LJS9502_basic

Paragraph 1: I'd go to a bar if I weren't allowed to smoke inside, but what you get then is whole crowds of ppl going outside at night and some being drunk. You're not even allowed to be drunk on the street. Stuff will be vandalized. And a lot of non-smokers would come with the smokers. Happens at parties at non-smoking friends' houses I go to all the time. And there's also the point of the air ventilation system that's still standing. But like every other non-smoker that point is ignored. Unfortunatly I can only give Dutch links since I don't know how such a thing would be called in English. But google it... I'm sure you could find it.

Paragraph 2: You assume those restaurants complain to get smokers on their side, but with smoking being forbidden by law in such establishments there would be no sense for them to do so. You're just assuming they would.

Paragraph 3: Cars are NOT necessary. Public transportation would have to be re-arranged and if your wife is pregnant you'd have to take it into account, but it's perfectly doable. If you could make a choice between a world with no cars or one with no cigs... I'd pick the no car world. Better for the environment, better for everyones' health... But I guess since most ppl (even smokers) drive cars, they wouldn't want this. After all, it's inconvenient for them in which case any argument concerning the matter is moot to them.

Paragraph 4: For the last and final time: this point was made by me to show that 'evidence of second hand smoking damage' is bull. There is no way to distinquish damage done by factory polution from damage done by second hand smoking. Unless you show me statistics with seperate tables for different kinds of lung damage my point stands.

Paragraph 5: I KNOW smoking is bad for my health. I don't contest that. I know ppl who don't smoke think it's groce. So the solution is: don't hang around near smokers. Find a non-smoking bar/restaurant, don't follow them outside when smokers go there for a cig (many ppl really do this). I'm not infringing my bad habit onto anyone (and yes I'm one of those guys who will put out his cig if ppl are bothered by it)

graham_celtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 graham_celtic
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts
Its a good thing.