England banning smoking in public places.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
what is your opinion of this? I think its good, since england isnt exacly the healthiest nation in the world.
disc0very

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 disc0very
Member since 2006 • 3636 Posts
I think it's good.
stkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 stkr
Member since 2006 • 6118 Posts
Good. Smoking is nasty. If you want to pollute your own body, fine, but it's no excuse to hurt others as well. I know a lot of people don't agree with me, but smoking is disgusting.
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts
This is a good thing.
xwolfghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 xwolfghost
Member since 2005 • 6076 Posts
Good. They should take away smoking all together so more people don't get hooked. It serves no purpose in this world besides to make the big guys richer
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
good, second-hand smoke = voluntary manslughter
Taegukki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Taegukki
Member since 2005 • 13241 Posts
Good, they should do it in every country.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
I wonder what would happen if england tried to ban drinking:lol:
Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts
Great. I'm glad this has already happened in Calgary (or maybe it's about to happen in a few months, I can't remember which). Doesn't matter at my school, though. I still have to choke through the incessant smog every day on my way to class.
stkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 stkr
Member since 2006 • 6118 Posts

I wonder what would happen if england tried to ban drinking:lol:Film-Guy

Now that is something that wouldn't work anywhere. I think alcohol is just as bas as smoking and I don't associate myself with either. But c'mon, banning drinking. Even I know that'd be impossible (to enforce). It doesn't take much to produce ethanol. Some fruit, water, bread, etc. There's more to it, but either way....

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
You know, nobody makes you inhale secondhand smoke.

Whining about how you got lung cancer because of people smoking in your favourite bar is like whining about getting AIDS because you had sex with a prostitute.

Not that I condone AIDS or lung cancer, but you sort of knew the risks when you opened the door of the bar and a huge cloud of smoke emanated from the door. Lung cancer is bad and I don't like to see anyone get it, but I'm sorry. I just can't feel sorry for you.
easteast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#12 easteast
Member since 2004 • 6407 Posts
I think that's good. People should not have to inhale other people's smoke and suffer for just being near them.
Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Luncbox1

Whining about how you got lung cancer because of people smoking in your favourite bar is like whining about getting AIDS because you had sex with a prostitute.

Not that I condone AIDS or lung cancer, but you sort of knew the risks when you opened the door of the bar and a huge cloud of smoke emanated from the door. Lung cancer is bad and I don't like to see anyone get it, but I'm sorry. I just can't feel sorry for you.
MrGeezer
How about when you're walking down the street and you pass a group dragging on their cigarettes and you almost puke as you pass by them? Sometimes I can hold my breath and half-jog past, but when there's a bunch of groups side-by-side, it's impossible to do that.
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Def_Jef88

MrGeezer
what about in a public place like a resteraunt?  I should be able to eat out without having to inhale peoples death sticks
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]You know, nobody makes you inhale secondhand smoke.

Def_Jef88
what about in a public place like a resteraunt? I should be able to eat out without having to inhale peoples death sticks

That's what the free market is for.

If there is a demand for non-smoking restaurants, then we will have nonsmoking restaurants.

The only reason we "need" government involvement at all is because nonsmokers are whinyt little crybabies who are too cowardly to take responsibility for their own actions.

Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts
what is your opinion of this? I think its good, since england isnt exacly the healthiest nation in the world.Film-Guy
Its good. If people want to smoke by all means let them, but non-smokers should not have to suffer through a filthy habbit just because they are stuck in the same environment. Some people are allergic to smoke too and its not fair to them.
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]You know, nobody makes you inhale secondhand smoke.

MrGeezer
what about in a public place like a resteraunt? I should be able to eat out without having to inhale peoples death sticks

If there is a demand for non-smoking restaurants, then we will have nonsmoking restaurants.

The only reason we "need" government involvement at all is because nonsmokers are whinyt little crybabies who are too cowardly to take responsibility for their own actions.

we arent the one smoking :?

Like I said, if me and my family wanna go out to eat at a nice reteraunt, we shouldnt have to get stuck next to bubba and his 72 pack of pallmall
Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Luncbox1
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]You know, nobody makes you inhale secondhand smoke.

Def_Jef88

Like I said, if me and my family wanna go out to eat at a nice reteraunt, we shouldnt have to get stuck next to bubba and his 72 pack of pallmall

I completely hear where you're coming from, man. I remember a few years ago when smoking was still allowed in public places in my city, I couldn't stand going to Humpty's because the place was filled with smog. Glad that doesn't happen anymore, though.
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tequilasunriser
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]You know, nobody makes you inhale secondhand smoke.

MrGeezer

What about environments that there are not more than one of like stadiums? Its not that non-smokers are whiny, they can go to a different resaurant if they want, but sportting events and things of that nature have only one environment and its not fair to have to miss a game due to smokers.
g-unit248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 g-unit248
Member since 2005 • 7197 Posts

MrGeezer
you might as well say we should promote smoking in public places so that the non smokers stay out or everywhere... yeah you sound that ridiculous
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]You know, nobody makes you inhale secondhand smoke.

Def_Jef88

Like I said, that's what the free market is for.

Example...in my town, there is a very popular bar that allows smoking. Right across the street, there is a nonsmoking bar that does not allow smoking. This bar is very popular too.

Now, how do those two competing business operate so successfully in such close proximity to each other? Obviously because they appeal to different interests. Both options exist for consumers, and the market sorts itself out. The people who want to drink and smoke go to the smoking bar, and the people who want to drink and not smoke go to the nonsmoking bar.

That's extremely simple to understand. It's really not rocket science.

You and your family DON'T have to get stuck next to a smoker during dinner. You and your family also don't have to eat out at all, and you and your family are allowed the right to exercise discretion at which extablishments you dine at.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer

tequilasunriser

What about environments that there are not more than one of like stadiums? Its not that non-smokers are whiny, they can go to a different resaurant if they want, but sportting events and things of that nature have only one environment and its not fair to have to miss a game due to smokers.

Fair? Boo freaking hoo. Life isn;t fair.

Now if you're talking about schools or courthouses, then I would agree that smoking should be banned without exception. Because people actually HAVE to go to those places.

You don't have to go to sports events though. If I want to go to a concert and there are no chairs on the floor, then I just plain don't go. It might not be "fair" that I "have to stand up" during the entire concert, but **** fair. That's how the concert is set up. I either think seeing the band is worth a few hours of extreme back pain, or I just say "**** it" and just don't go to the concert.

If you consume things, then you exercise discretion as a consumer. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. That's real easy. Since when did nonsmokers become MORE mindless than smokers? Jesus, you don't need the government exercising control over you at every little goddamn moment.

Funny enough, there was recently an article posted here about New York banning the use of ipods and cell phones while crossing streets. And 90% of people resonding to that story were whining about government involvement.

But hey, I guess government involvement is okay if you personally don't like the thing being banned, right? Hypocrisy at its best.
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tequilasunriser
[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]You know, nobody makes you inhale secondhand smoke.

MrGeezer

Now if you're talking about schools or courthouses, then I would agree that smoking should be banned without exception. Because people actually HAVE to go to those places.

You don't have to go to sports events though. If I want to go to a concert and there are no chairs on the floor, then I just plain don't go. It might not be "fair" that I "have to stand up" during the entire concert, but **** fair. That's how the concert is set up. I either think seeing the band is worth a few hours of extreme back pain, or I just say "**** it" and just don't go to the concert.

If you consume things, then you exercise discretion as a consumer. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. That's real easy. Since when did nonsmokers become MORE mindless than smokers? Jesus, you don't need the government exercising control over you at every little goddamn moment.

Funny enough, there was recently an article posted here about New York banning the use of ipods and cell phones while crossing streets. And 90% of people resonding to that story were whining about government involvement.

But hey, I guess government involvement is okay if you personally don't like the thing being banned, right? Hypocrisy at its best.

Well if I had the choice I wouldn't "buy it," and thats the point im trying to make. Don't you  feel bad for the people with smoke allergies? Are they not expected to go ANYWHERE because of a filthy habbit?
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]You know, nobody makes you inhale secondhand smoke.

MrGeezer

Im okay with the govenmnet being involved with something that sctually  causes physical harm to people.
ghostadv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 ghostadv
Member since 2004 • 3080 Posts
Good. Us Americans should do that.
Taegukki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Taegukki
Member since 2005 • 13241 Posts

MrGeezer

Actually the smokers do make us inhale secondhand smoke. I understand where youre coming from with your whole smoking bar/restaurant argument, that makes sense, but when your walking down the street or just want to have a nice family meal, or even a beer at a bar and there is not a choice like what you have in your area, should you have to suffer and inhale secondhand smoke? Here in New Zealand they have outlawed smoking in public indoor areas only (like bars, restaurants and covered car parks etc), and nobody seems to care. They have compensated in bars by creating covered outdoor areas for smoking so the indoor patrons dont have to inhale smoke.

Your statement about breathing secondhand smoke being like getting AIDS from a hooker is idiotic. Breathing and condoning in illegal sexual acts are as different as chalk and cheese. You need oxygen to live, you dont need sex to live. People shouldnt be forced to breathe secondhand smoke, period.

Tolwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Tolwan
Member since 2003 • 2575 Posts
Eh, dont care about england, but i hate it happening in the US as i find it a contradiction of politicians beliefs. They attack smoking but not drinking? Yet drinking not only causes more bodily harm, but more instances of rape, murder, and car accidents. Yet you still see plenty of advertisements for drinking,a nd there is no "Truth" commercial for alchohol. Hell i bet half of those people are alchoholics anyway. As i've said, all or nothing. Dont pick and choose your drug to make illegal.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]You know, nobody makes you inhale secondhand smoke.

Taegukki

Actually the smokers do make us inhale secondhand smoke. I understand where youre coming from with your whole smoking bar/restaurant argument, that makes sense, but when your walking down the street or just want to have a nice family meal, or even a beer at a bar and there is not a choice like what you have in your area, should you have to suffer and inhale secondhand smoke? Here in New Zealand they have outlawed smoking in public indoor areas only (like bars, restaurants and covered car parks etc), and nobody seems to care. They have compensated in bars by creating covered outdoor areas for smoking so the indoor patrons dont have to inhale smoke.

Your statement about breathing secondhand smoke being like getting AIDS from a hooker is idiotic. Breathing and condoning in illegal sexual acts are as different as chalk and cheese. You need oxygen to live, you dont need sex to live. People shouldnt be forced to breathe secondhand smoke, period.

Do you know WHY there's no nonsmoking bar/restaurant for you to choose?

BECAUSE NONSMOKERS STILL GO TO SMOKING BARS/RESTAURANTS.If you go to a smoking establishment and then ***** about how they allow smoking, you still gave them your damn money, which means you're still saying that there's no reason for the bars/restaurants to ban it. If you ***** about it but still continue to give them money, then you're supporting them.

And yes, you have to breathe air. but you DON'T HAVE TO BREATHE AIR IN A BAR FULL OF SMOKE. I have to drink water, but I won't drink water out of a water fountain that someone just peed in. Screw that, I'll drive a couple miles down the road and find a cleaner water fountain.

NO ONE FORCES YOU TO BREATHE TOBACCO SMOKE. The fact that you are incapable of understanding this just boggles my mind.
Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Caffeine_Trip
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts
Does that include things other than tobacco?
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Def_Jef88
Eh, dont care about england, but i hate it happening in the US as i find it a contradiction of politicians beliefs. They attack smoking but not drinking? Yet drinking not only causes more bodily harm, but more instances of rape, murder, and car accidents. Yet you still see plenty of advertisements for drinking,a nd there is no "Truth" commercial for alchohol. Hell i bet half of those people are alchoholics anyway. As i've said, all or nothing. Dont pick and choose your drug to make illegal. Tolwan
drinking alcohol dosnt hurt people nearby
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#31 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
I'm still waiting for somewhere to enact what I think should ultimately happen, which is a outright ban of sale of tobacco to anyone born after a certain date. For example, anyone born after January 1, 2007 cannot buy cigarettes. This doesn't force anything on those already addicted, and still gets rid of one of the very few products that has no place in society.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#32 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
[QUOTE="Tolwan"]Eh, dont care about england, but i hate it happening in the US as i find it a contradiction of politicians beliefs. They attack smoking but not drinking? Yet drinking not only causes more bodily harm, but more instances of rape, murder, and car accidents. Yet you still see plenty of advertisements for drinking,a nd there is no "Truth" commercial for alchohol. Hell i bet half of those people are alchoholics anyway. As i've said, all or nothing. Dont pick and choose your drug to make illegal. Def_Jef88

Ever seen a "Don't Drink and Drive" advertisment? Even heard someone use the defence that he was intoxicated? Directly no, but alcohol arguably does more damage than smoking now. However, this is pretty unrelated because no matter what, when someone smokes, that smoke goes into the air of those around it. When someone drinks, it's not a guarantee that anything will happen, and in places such as a restaurant, it usually doesn't.
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="Tolwan"]Eh, dont care about england, but i hate it happening in the US as i find it a contradiction of politicians beliefs. They attack smoking but not drinking? Yet drinking not only causes more bodily harm, but more instances of rape, murder, and car accidents. Yet you still see plenty of advertisements for drinking,a nd there is no "Truth" commercial for alchohol. Hell i bet half of those people are alchoholics anyway. As i've said, all or nothing. Dont pick and choose your drug to make illegal. yodariquo

Ever seen a "Don't Drink and Drive" advertisment? Even heard someone use the defence that he was intoxicated? Directly no, but alcohol arguably does more damage than smoking now. However, this is pretty unrelated because no matter what, when someone smokes, that smoke goes into the air of those around it. When someone drinks, it's not a guarantee that anything will happen, and in places such as a restaurant, it usually doesn't.

exactly, alcohol is fine if used responsibly.  the topic at hand however is the manskaughter known as "second-hand smoke"
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

It's so important that we don't smoke in public because we would not really want to think about the mass quantities of pollution we dump in the air everyday around the globe.

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Def_Jef88

It's so important that we don't smoke in public because we would not really want to think about the mass quantities of pollution we dump in the air everyday around the globe.

quadraleap

thats a story for another thread

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 quadraleap
[QUOTE="quadraleap"]

Def_Jef88

The story is, but the point is for this one.

SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SunJian18
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

If public means indoor public places, that's fine, but if I was in the UK and I want to light up outside, they need to leave me alone.

Does this mean you can't light up on your front porch or stoop if you live in the city?  Because when you smoke outside the smoke goes up and away from people who aren't directly next to you.

tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tequilasunriser
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="quadraleap"]

quadraleap

...that is steam, last I checked H2O is A-Okay for the environment :P Google a better picture.

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#39 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
It's a win/lose situation. Non-smokers will be delighted with the news, while smokers won't be too happy.
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
That's great, I wish we could get that to happen everywhere.  I really don't care if someone smokes, just don't do it near non-smokers.
Stupid-Bastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Stupid-Bastard
Member since 2006 • 3221 Posts
what is your opinion of this? I think its good, since [size=20]england isnt exacly the healthiest nation in the world.[/size]Film-Guy
Are you referring to their national healthcare system?
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 quadraleap
[QUOTE="quadraleap"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="quadraleap"]

tequilasunriser

...that is steam, last I checked H2O is A-Okay for the environment :P Google a better picture.

lolz, chemical analysis of a picture...thats pretty good. I guess steam is never mixed with pollution. Never ever. It's unhealthy. :oops:

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"][QUOTE="quadraleap"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="quadraleap"]

quadraleap

lolz, chemical analysis of a picture...thats pretty good. I guess steam is never mixed with pollution. Never ever. It's unhealthy. :oops:

of course, every mega corporation cares about the enviroment... :D

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
insert any post made by me from this thread
MrGeezer

At least one person gets it. How is it acceptible for the government to dictate one activity but not another? If you allow them to tell you where you can smoke, then government will continue encroach on your freedoms.

The fact of the matter is, restaurants and bars are PRIVATE businesses. You have no required business there, and therefore the owners should be the only ones deciding the rules of the establishment- they're the only people entitled to be there. If they allow smoking and nobody comes for that reason, they will quickly abolish smoking.

And they say fascism died in the 40's.
SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SunJian18
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]insert any post made by me from this thread
Vampyronight

At least one person gets it. How is it acceptible for the government to dictate one activity but not another? If you allow them to tell you where you can smoke, then government will continue encroach on your freedoms.

The fact of the matter is, restaurants and bars are PRIVATE businesses. You have no required business there, and therefore the owners should be the only ones deciding the rules of the establishment- they're the only people entitled to be there. If they allow smoking and nobody comes for that reason, they will quickly abolish smoking.

And they say fascism died in the 40's.

For real, it's bad enough they tell us what we can and cannot smoke, I'll be damned if they start telling me where I can and cannot smoke.  What's next, they'll enact a policy dictating WHEN you can smoke?  You gotta draw the line somewhere as citizens of a democracy.

Two400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 Two400
Member since 2006 • 2787 Posts
I hate smokers

There are smokers at almost every college.  You can't avoid them no matter what rules or signs a school has around campus.

I hope they all...umm...get a really sore throat!  That will show them...:evil:   You see my burning rage towards them.  Anger rising......
buckfush311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 buckfush311
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
Good stuff. The next step is to legalize the kind of smoke that (cannabis) prevents/diminishes cancer.

"Do what thou wilt should be the whole of the laws, until you violate the rights of another, respect the space of your sister and your brother."

Cigs violate the rights of others by giving them cancer and smelling worse than anything else in the world.  I can't breath if I'm anywhere near them and because of cigs I hate going out to bars.  Hooray beer...boo cigs.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
I'm going to pipe camp because of this.
SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 SoberWarock
Member since 2005 • 3086 Posts
Oh thats sweet man, the world is finally realizing. Lets just hope they band smoking! LIKE BAN SMOKING!
cofrules02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 cofrules02
Member since 2005 • 1553 Posts
good i hate smoking