Does your school/workplace have a safe-space?

• 54 results
Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By samanthademeste

Poll Does your school/workplace have a safe-space? (44 votes)

yes 11%
no 84%

People in school were to busy beating the snot out each other to be worried about things like safe spaces, trigger warnings, speech codes, microagressions, etc.

That's how I remember school growing up anyways. It's still like that now from what I have seen.

• 
byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

It's called HR in the grown-up world. You'll find out about when you get a job some day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#2 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

When I was taking classes at the University of Washington, at the end of 2013, beginning of 2014 they started instituting safe spaces, and I was told a common area was essentially for minorities and gays. I stopped taking classes from that school.

The existence of safe spaces is an affront to free expression, and has no place within a civil society.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I drive truck. The industry is rife with racism, bigotry, sexism and discrimination of pretty much all forms.

It's largely a meritocracy too. No "you get rewarded for showing up to work".

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

They take safety very serious at my place of work. Our whole plant is to be concidered a safe space. Work place accidents will not be tolerated.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

That would be ridiculous.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

When I was taking classes at the University of Washington, at the end of 2013, beginning of 2014 they started instituting safe spaces, and I was told a common area was essentially for minorities and gays. I stopped taking classes from that school.

The existence of safe spaces is an affront to free expression, and has no place within a civil society.

As someone who has been both physically and sexually abused in both school and the workplace, I would never advocate for safe spaces.

TotalRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TotalRobot
Member since 2017 • 187 Posts

People complain about being treated like infants, then demand safe spaces like you would give infants.

And then wonder why I have so little respect for my own species. Most humans don't deserve respect.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mark1974 said:

They take safety very serious at my place of work. Our whole plant is to be concidered a safe space. Work place accidents will not be tolerated.

That's not the kind of safety the TC is talking about. More like "free from offense".

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@foxhound_fox: I know, I'm just being stupid on purpose. I have never seen one of these safe spaces people talk about in real life ever. I thought they were mostly something that existed only in the minds of reactionary Trump supporters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Yes we do. Not allowed to have any news station on any channel. Personally, I think it's a little ridiculous, but some people get offended no matter what news channel you have on.

TotalRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TotalRobot

@mark1974 said:

@foxhound_fox: I know, I'm just being stupid on purpose. I have never seen one of these safe spaces people talk about in real life ever. I thought they were mostly something that existed only in the minds of reactionary Trump supporters.

They're primarily limited to college campuses, but are beginning to spread.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Every year my reserve police unit gets re-trained on OEEO (Office of Equal Employment Opportunity), about what kind of workplace discrimination and such is not allowed. Its largely general stuff. And we haven't had an issue where the OEEO had to get involved with. But there's no specific "safe space" zone within our workplace.

Our work environment though, is not really the place for anyone with sensitive feelings and easy triggers. The public isn't always going to be pleasant to you, your partners, or to others. And will at times, try to push your buttons intentionally. So we are encouraged to be neutral on controversial topics (particularity political related) that we may be asked from the public. By making a response like "I don't have an opinion"; or not saying anything. But we do discuss politics and touchy topics amongst ourselves.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The principal's office while school officials call your folks.

My workplace is zero tolerance/equal opportunity employer for just about anything. No politics, no loud jokes of any sort. As if we had time for them, anyway. We're all a bunch of weather geeks.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#14 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I work at a library. By definition, it's a safe space.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

no

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#16 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@samanthademeste said:
@hillelslovak said:

As someone who has been both physically and sexually abused in both school and the workplace, I would never advocate for safe spaces.

My view. I've been mugged twice on University campuses, and the idea of a safe space is absurd. We take certain risks everytime we go outside, some even when we dont. If I ever sunk to a level in which I had something happen to me, and demanded the places I go completely accomodate my every whim and feeling, I would probably Kurt Cobain myself.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

No. A "safe space" is essentially a place to run to when you do not want to hear opinions that differ from your own. Colleges implementing "safe spaces" hinders growth and real world diversity/experience in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

The toilet at 9AM.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Well, not that I can recall. But, like, I work at a restaurant. And this restaurant actually allows workers to drink there after their shifts and on their days off. So, I recall this one incident where one of the employees showed up on his day off and started drinking and got like stupid drunk. So, one of the managers walked by while discussing work related stuff with another employee and the drunk off duty employee said in an "allegedly" joking manner, "hey, what's up you f**s?"

Side note, the manager was actually gay. Furthermore, the other employee was also gay and was dating the manager (though at the time they were interacting in the role of employees).

So, a different employee who was on duty at the time and heard the remarks quietly said something like, "DUDE, you can't say that shit. I know that we're restaurant workers and we tend to joke around, but you can't go up to a gay manager/coworker and call him a f**."

Then the dude loudly and drunkenly said, "well why the hell not? If he's actually gay then that means it's true."

Anyway, the dude got fired for that. Big surprise.

Also, people who act like that piss me off. Never mind the whole "acting like a moron and trying to blame the alcohol" aspect, this pisses me off because I actually like to have a drink at work after work. And I wouldn't be averse to dating an employee. Yet this is the EXACT same kind of shit that leads a lot of companies to institute policies such as "no dating coworkers and no drinking here even when you're off-duty." So then you happen to work for a company that lets employees do that stuff, then some f***ing asshole abuses the privilege and gets fired on his goddamn day off, thereby validating why so many companies DON'T allow such privileges and threatening to remove such privileges from the 99% of employees who AREN'T f***ing assholes.

Anyway, no "safe spaces" but the place that I work is REALLY serious when it comes to bigotry in the workplace. That's not to say that two cooks can't jokingly say that the other guy is gay, but instances of bullying and harassment are taken VERY seriously.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23916 Posts

Thankfully, no.

Edit: Something about the poll does not add up.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Well, as "safe" as a professional setting needs to be. Listening to Gavin McInnes or Anthony Cumia certainly wouldn't fly there.

TotalRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TotalRobot

@MrGeezer said:

Well, not that I can recall. But, like, I work at a restaurant. And this restaurant actually allows workers to drink there after their shifts and on their days off. So, I recall this one incident where one of the employees showed up on his day off and started drinking and got like stupid drunk. So, one of the managers walked by while discussing work related stuff with another employee and the drunk off duty employee said in an "allegedly" joking manner, "hey, what's up you f**s?"

Side note, the manager was actually gay. Furthermore, the other employee was also gay and was dating the manager (though at the time they were interacting in the role of employees).

So, a different employee who was on duty at the time and heard the remarks quietly said something like, "DUDE, you can't say that shit. I know that we're restaurant workers and we tend to joke around, but you can't go up to a gay manager/coworker and call him a f**."

Then the dude loudly and drunkenly said, "well why the hell not? If he's actually gay then that means it's true."

Anyway, the dude got fired for that. Big surprise.

Also, people who act like that piss me off. Never mind the whole "acting like a moron and trying to blame the alcohol" aspect, this pisses me off because I actually like to have a drink at work after work. And I wouldn't be averse to dating an employee. Yet this is the EXACT same kind of shit that leads a lot of companies to institute policies such as "no dating coworkers and no drinking here even when you're off-duty." So then you happen to work for a company that lets employees do that stuff, then some f***ing asshole abuses the privilege and gets fired on his goddamn day off, thereby validating why so many companies DON'T allow such privileges and threatening to remove such privileges from the 99% of employees who AREN'T f***ing assholes.

Anyway, no "safe spaces" but the place that I work is REALLY serious when it comes to bigotry in the workplace. That's not to say that two cooks can't jokingly say that the other guy is gay, but instances of bullying and harassment are taken VERY seriously.

That guy deserved it. And, I like how your job handles things.

I do agree that people shouldn't discriminate. And should reap the consequences if they do. Because that will do far more for the world than the safe spaces will.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I thought safespaces were metaphorical, not actual santioned zones...

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

What is this 'Safe Space' of which you speak of? It sounds like something that you'd read off of George Orwells' 1984.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I work in a professional atmosphere where we have little time or inclination to discuss religion, politics, or social topics.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Probably in one's car out on the parking lot.

redrichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 redrichard
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

Schools and workplaces are free to do what they want on their own property so I could care less if they have such a policy or not.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58311 Posts

@MrGeezer: that was a just firing if you ask me.

I work at a brewery, we are legally allowed two "shift beers" (it's some weird US law that goes back like 100 years) but the company can determine if you are drunk, so it's a fine line. Likewise, the servers (if you are cool with them) will just keep pouring you beers so it's really easy for things to get out of control.

We try to be understanding at my job, but sometimes some asshole just is not a good drunk or can't handle his booze and does something that can't be forgiven and we have to let him or her go. You'd be really surprised how often we've had to fire women for groping or pissing in public or for rude comments. I love women that love beer! Anyway, it kind of ruins it for everybody so...yeah, don't be a shitty drunk, people, and don't shit where you eat (don't get drunk at work, don't screw at work, don't talk excessive shit at work, etc).

As for safe spaces, never seen one, never experienced one. I've never actually heard someone ask for them. I think it is, yet again, another concept blown out of proportion by the sensitive right so they feel they have something to complain about while hypocritically accusing others of complaining (in this case, about safe spaces that don't exist and are not asked for).

SummerHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SummerHaze
Member since 2016 • 11 Posts

my safe place is at home

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

No, we had never heard of the term safe spaces when I went to school, high school, trade school as well as college.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Yes it does, it's called Rechtsstaat.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Safe spaces only exist in weird millennial companies. Younger generations are losing the ability to have proper serious conflict resolution or to have their ideas and notions challenged. There is no place in any environment for people to be offensive or aggressive, they should be terminated from a job or punished at school, but people have to learn that they can't go through life in a protective bubble. I mean in this in an apolitical way as all sides seem unable anymore to find a middle ground in the US and use wide sweeping and generalized terms to demonize the other side. We have to be able to hear and understand differing views from our own without acting like they are the enemy.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#33 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

LOL Safe spaces.

No we don't and we don't need it because i work with adults and not young snowflakes.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

My work is safe, but we don't hire sensitive people that complain about bullshit. There is a proper amount of shit-talking, but at the end of the day it's a small company and we're all friends.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I work for a fortune 100 company, they actually rank in top 50, and our whole company is a safe space. Discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm is not tolerated. You will be heavily punished for violating someones safe space. Your not even allowed to smoke on the property.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@iandizion713: that makes a lot of sense.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iandizion713

@SOedipus: Yeah, i feel bad for others, id never work for a company that doesnt respect ones safe space.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jacanuk

@iandizion713 said:

@SOedipus: Yeah, i feel bad for others, id never work for a company that doesnt respect ones safe space.

Eh? i would go insane if i had to work in a oversensitive workenvoriment where everyone had to abide by insane rules. Especially when all you need is common sense and respect for your colleagues.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iandizion713

@Jacanuk: Welcome to being a grown up who has to respect others in the workplace. What insane rules? These are common in bout all work places I know of. You think you have the right to harass and insult others, etc while working? Thats childish.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

I work for a fortune 100 company, they actually rank in top 50, and our whole company is a safe space. Discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm is not tolerated. You will be heavily punished for violating someones safe space. Your not even allowed to smoke on the property.

So, you work for Kmart?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 iandizion713

@plageus900: We don't have Kmart.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk

@iandizion713 said:

@Jacanuk: Welcome to being a grown up who has to respect other in the workplace. What insane rules? These are common in bout all work places I know. You think you have the right to harass and insult others, etc while working? Thhats childish.

Did i say harass or insult ?

Common sense and respect for your colleagues is all you need, and if you ever worked in a adult environment you would know this.

So unless you were raised in a barn with snowflake curling parents who forgot to teach you that you are no more important than anyone else, you do not need rules to behave like a decent human being.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@plageus900: We don't have Kmart.

Wal Mart?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iandizion713

@Jacanuk: Discrimination, harassment, criticism, or any other emotion or physical harm are the definition of a safe space environment and practiced by bout every company I've ever known in the United States. Have no clue what ruleless shithole you might work in mate.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

I would turn down a lucrative job if I knew they had safe spaces. Even if some people have hateful views it's pointless trying to censor them let the reasonable minded people destroy them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Yeah. There's a sick room where you can go to lay down if you're sick or whatever and there are counselors around if you've had a traumatic event happen recently and would like someone to discuss it with in private.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Nice thread Necro.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

@byof_america said:

It's called HR in the grown-up world. You'll find out about when you get a job some day.

That is a really good point.

Balrogbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#49 Balrogbane
Member since 2014 • 1051 Posts

No. We do a thing called 'work' in my place of employment.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

At my school we sort of have lite safe spaces and trigger warnings.

If it gets any worse, I'm going to stand up against it and tell them that all it does is create intellectual dishonesty.