Does anyone actually think Obama will lose re-election?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Why? The chance of Obama losing to Romney is slim at best.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

Before you scream "ERMAHGERD NYTIMES!!! LIBERAL TRASH!!!," Nate Silver accurately predicted the electoral map in 2008. If there's anyone to trust with regards to political predictions--a messy, chaotic business in itself--it's quite possibly this guy.

Key points:

1) Obama still enjoys positive approval ratings

2) Obama has the electoral advantage over Romney

3) The RNC did little to boost Romney's poll numbers

4) Based on what happened today at the DNC tonight, it's safe to say that Obama will keep rising in the polls, ignoring his campaign's inevitable ramp-up and capability to best Romney in the televised debates

The Republicans can rely on Ryan spreading lies and wild claims (such as the ludicrous declaration that Obama's first term was worse than Jimmy Carter's) and can pretend that chanelling Reagan is the path to victory--even though the stiff, awkward corporate-cutout Romney is anything but. Obama has had the clear advantage this coming election and the Republicans are desperately fighting an uphill battle.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I would assume that Mitt probably thinks he has a shot.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Considering his competition? Definitely not.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
Gallop has Obama's approval rating at 44%........ That is better than Carter and Bush Sr. (at the same time in their terms) but there is certainly a possibility Romney could overcome himself and win.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

An Obama victory is far from guaranteed, even with the Republican candidates being as pathetic as they are.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

Lets see. Romney is promising to cut back programs geared toward the poor when there are more poor Americans than any time in recent history. Yeah that sounds like a winning strategy :roll: That said, I would vote for him if I were American because I'm an elitist ahole. I can't say I have much respect for his strategy though. You tell people what want they want to hear. Most don't know the reality of the situation or that much the same will happen regardless of who is elected. Considering this maybe I would vote for Obama. He might be an elitist ahole too but simply smart enough not to act like one.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
It's entirely likely. There's millions of Americans who will buy whatever Romney and Ryan claims because their from the same party as them. it doesn't matter if Ryan's budget is a sham and he's lied constantly since he was chosen. It doesn't matter that Romney has had so many stances he makes martial artists look...unstancy. It doesn't matter that there's no hope in hell of a republican president actually doing anything hugely different from what has been happening the last 12 years. Yes it hurts his cause that Obama hasn't been a great president but if anything causes him to lose it's partisanship. A large amount of voters don't give a crap about the truth, numbers or platforms. They care that their guy wins.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

No, but OT's reaction would be hilarious if he did.

A large amount of voters don't give a crap about the truth, numbers or platforms. They care that their guy wins.Ace6301
Welcome to the sad state of American politics. In a world culture that emphasizes being labeled as well as being a vicarious "winner" of any competitive event, it's easy for that single-minded fanaticism to grow.

MikeMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 MikeMoose
Member since 2005 • 3079 Posts

I don't see any way Obama loses. I never thought I would pull for Obama, but god Romney is an idiot. I feel like anybody who supports Romney only does so because they hate Obama so much that they will do anything they can to convince themselves that Romney is better.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

There is no way he is going to lose. Don't even waste the gas going to the polls and voting for him.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Where I am, a lot of people say if Obama can't get the job done, then it's time for him to pack up and let someone else give it a try. If that guy can't do it, then fire him too in 2016.

My wife and I are lucky to be relatively unscathed during the last few years. But, there's so many people here who weren't as lucky and can't even live from paycheck to paycheck.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Considering how useless Mitt Romney is, and what the GOP platform has transformed into, it should be an easy win for Obama. However, with the economy still struggling, Obama is very vulnerable.

If Obama really is going to offer a concrete way of moving forward to improve the economy in the next four years, eh'll be up on Romney, who has shown no plan at all.

The GOP is running almost completely on "Anyone but Obama", which will only get so many votes. That kind of campaign underestimates the intelligence of the voting public.

undergroundLPx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 undergroundLPx
Member since 2003 • 710 Posts
I truly doubt it even though I hope so. Obama is incompetent, he is just a figure - nothing more, nothing less.
EasyStreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EasyStreet
Member since 2003 • 11672 Posts

It would an upset if he wins it like Truman over Dewey.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Romney is either up by 1 point or even according to RCP. Also an overwhelming number of people say we're on the wrong track and that we are worse off today then when the President took office... not only is it possible, but likely that Obama will lose.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Obama will not lose

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Obama will lose because he has a record to run on now, a bad record. I only hope that Romney is as ineffective leader as Obama is so he can't do too much damage.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
I have no idea.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
I fear that Romney would even be voted for. If he was even close to getting elected, the consequences for the rest of the world would be severe. Heck, American economy wouldn't be fixed, the middleclass and the poor would suffer from it, women would be forced to go full term with the child of their rapists/abusive family members, homosexuals and people of a different gender that sticks out of the "heterosexual female" or "heterosexual male" would be lynched. The world would become awful.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="Deihjan"]I fear that Romney would even be voted for. If he was even close to getting elected, the consequences for the rest of the world would be severe. Heck, American economy wouldn't be fixed, the middleclass and the poor would suffer from it, women would be forced to go full term with the child of their rapists/abusive family members, homosexuals and people of a different gender that sticks out of the "heterosexual female" or "heterosexual male" would be lynched. The world would become awful.

Marijuana causes paranoia.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b78379493e12

Romney is either up by 1 point or even according to RCP. Also an overwhelming number of people say we're on the wrong track and that we are worse off today then when the President took office... not only is it possible, but likely that Obama will lose.DevilMightCry

Fours years of Romney pushing austerity and social conservatism would turn people back to the Democratic party, I'm sure.

bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts
All I know is Mitt is not the answer. He looks and acts more like a puppet then anyone else, he seems confused and talks like he has atleast five hands up his ass. He's undecided and way too criptic, he's tries way to hard to fit a false facade,plus that image he's going for is totally out dated and no longer bodes well with real people and their concerns. He's an out of touch dude and you can clearly see it in all the gaffes he so blindly makes. He's clearly out of his element as you can see him flip flopping more than a fish out of water. Obama spend most of his presidency trying to get the GOP to assist him., he made claims just like every Prez has and didn't produce. But in all honesty, I know IT'S ALL A SHOW to keep the masses blinded and controlled.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

romney wants to cut the poor.....why would anybody vote for him?

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DevilMightCry

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]Romney is either up by 1 point or even according to RCP. Also an overwhelming number of people say we're on the wrong track and that we are worse off today then when the President took office... not only is it possible, but likely that Obama will lose.jimkabrhel

Fours years of Romney pushing austerity and social conservatism would turn people back to the Democratic party, I'm sure.

[/QUOTE Maybe. I think Mitt is serious about wanting to fix the financial and fiscal mess. Of course Democrats are going to oppose him. I still think to this day that we would have been better off with Hilary.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]Romney is either up by 1 point or even according to RCP. Also an overwhelming number of people say we're on the wrong track and that we are worse off today then when the President took office... not only is it possible, but likely that Obama will lose.DevilMightCry

[/QUOTE Maybe. I think Mitt is serious about wanting to fix the financial and fiscal mess. Of course Democrats are going to oppose him. I still think to this day that we would have been better off with Hilary.

You might be right about Hillary. I would have voted for her, and I respect her a great deal. I do hope she runs in 2016.

cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cslayer211
Member since 2012 • 797 Posts

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]Romney is either up by 1 point or even according to RCP. Also an overwhelming number of people say we're on the wrong track and that we are worse off today then when the President took office... not only is it possible, but likely that Obama will lose.jimkabrhel

Lol you think Romney would push social conservatism? At the very least Romney is a centrist. Deep down he really isn't even that conservative. He just says those things so he can get real conservatives to the polls. If he is elected, he will be pushing the more politically popular things than ideological.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]Romney is either up by 1 point or even according to RCP. Also an overwhelming number of people say we're on the wrong track and that we are worse off today then when the President took office... not only is it possible, but likely that Obama will lose.cslayer211

Lol you think Romney would push social conservatism? At the very least Romney is a centrist. Deep down he really isn't even that conservative. He just says those things so he can get real conservatives to the polls. If he is elected, he will be pushing the more politically popular things than ideological.

I agree with you about what he might truly be, but he has shown that he'll pander to the far-right of his party, and if he wins, they will make him push those views through Congress, if the GOP has control there too.

Romney has proven that the'll change his views to suit the political winds of his party, and those winds are pushing right these days.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Romney/Ryan is just a really lousy ticket.

Problem is the GoP doesn't have anyone they can promote that isn't deranged, ultra-right-wing-conservative or obsolete.

And because their platform is so close-minded, it's difficult for a legit moderate to make it up their ranks and be taken seriously. Romney is as moderate as they can find, but he can't even committ to a position for more than 3 or 4 years before he's flip-flopping all over the place. He's just another "tell everyone what they want to hear until you get what you want."

As for Ryan... well, if you are going to put a guy on your ticket that every major Labor Union in the country hates, you won't get much support from them or their families. So, you can kiss all those votes goodbye.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DevilMightCry

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

You might be right about Hillary. I would have voted for her, and I respect her a great deal. I do hope she runs in 2016.

jimkabrhel
I know she was a helluva lot better in the debates, and knew her material very well. I was a bit partial towards her as someone who has voted for Bill Clinton and did not like McCain (nor Obama) in 2008.
cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cslayer211

[QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jimkabrhel

I agree with you about what he might truly be, but he has shown that he'll pander to the far-right of his party, and if he wins, they will make him push those views through Congress, if the GOP has control there too.

Romney has proven that the'll change his views to suit the political winds of his party, and those winds are pushing right these days.

I told you though, what he's saying is obvious BS. Romney was more liberal than conservative when he was governor of Massachusetts. He will govern to center like he did before. He will also want to win re-election, so if he gets elected he will do things like Bush did (helping seniors with their prescription drugs) and other politically popular things.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="cslayer211"] Lol you think Romney would push social conservatism? At the very least Romney is a centrist. Deep down he really isn't even that conservative. He just says those things so he can get real conservatives to the polls. If he is elected, he will be pushing the more politically popular things than ideological.cslayer211

I told you though, what he's saying is obvious BS. Romney was more liberal than conservative when he was governor of Massachusetts. He will govern to center like he did before. He will also want to win re-election, so if he gets elected he will do things like Bush did (helping seniors with their prescription drugs) and other politically popular things.

If that happens, the Tea Party will tear him a new one, and the fractures in the GOP will get far worse.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

I had wanted Hillary in the White House, not Obama. But I voted for Obama in the 2008 election and I'll vote for him again. Romney = bad choice.

cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cslayer211

[QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jimkabrhel

If that happens, the Tea Party will tear him a new one, and the fractures in the GOP will get far worse.

People weren't happy with how Bush went to the center, so I'm sure the GOP will be just fine if that happens.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I really hope Romney don't win. If the repubs continue to hold the house hostage, and Romney get's elected, it would be open season for Romney. He'd be allowed to throw almost anything on the table and it would get a pass....
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

I fear that Romney would even be voted for. If he was even close to getting elected, the consequences for the rest of the world would be severe. Heck, American economy wouldn't be fixed, the middleclass and the poor would suffer from it, women would be forced to go full term with the child of their rapists/abusive family members, homosexuals and people of a different gender that sticks out of the "heterosexual female" or "heterosexual male" would be lynched. The world would become awful.Deihjan

hahahaa

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

You never know. I certainly hope he doesn't, obviously the lesser of the 2 evils.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
The polls are pretty close overall but Obama is leading in the battleground states. The DNC will give him a small boost. If he can ride that to November then he'll probably win.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

You never know. I certainly hope he doesn't, obviously the lesser of the 2 evils.

tagyhag
Vote third party then. F*** this lesser of two evils nonsense
katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts
Not like it matters who wins anyway, just going to f!ck up the country even more.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

All I know is Mitt is not the answer. He looks and acts more like a puppet then anyone else, he seems confused and talks like he has atleast five hands up his ass. He's undecided and way too criptic, he's tries way to hard to fit a false facade,plus that image he's going for is totally out dated and no longer bodes well with real people and their concerns. He's an out of touch dude and you can clearly see it in all the gaffes he so blindly makes. He's clearly out of his element as you can see him flip flopping more than a fish out of water. Obama spend most of his presidency trying to get the GOP to assist him. bnarmz

Mitt is as big a phony as they come. He's not going to reveal what he stands for or what he believes. I don't think he's capable of taking a stand on anything. He's just vacant, a hollow shell. He's hoping if he can be as non-comittal as possible, he can appeal to both the wingnuts of his own party, and to normal people as well.

But do not undersestimate what will happen when his dumptruck full of money shows up. When the dirty tricks campaign swings into high gear. No one has ever liked this guy, and yet he still managed to steamroller through his own party to get the nomination. That was money that did that.

This election is open to the highest bidder.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
All I know is Mitt is not the answer. He looks and acts more like a puppet then anyone else, he seems confused and talks like he has atleast five hands up his ass. He's undecided and way too criptic, he's tries way to hard to fit a false facade,plus that image he's going for is totally out dated and no longer bodes well with real people and their concerns. He's an out of touch dude and you can clearly see it in all the gaffes he so blindly makes. He's clearly out of his element as you can see him flip flopping more than a fish out of water. Obama spend most of his presidency trying to get the GOP to assist him., he made claims just like every Prez has and didn't produce. But in all honesty, I know IT'S ALL A SHOW to keep the masses blinded and controlled. bnarmz
Funny you should mention flip flopping..  I need a pair.
ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

Anyone who has pushed the idea of their preferred candidate losing out of their mind has been drinking too much party specific kool-aid. I think it could go either way right now. We'll see come election day.

cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cslayer211
[QUOTE="bnarmz"]All I know is Mitt is not the answer. He looks and acts more like a puppet then anyone else, he seems confused and talks like he has atleast five hands up his ass. He's undecided and way too criptic, he's tries way to hard to fit a false facade,plus that image he's going for is totally out dated and no longer bodes well with real people and their concerns. He's an out of touch dude and you can clearly see it in all the gaffes he so blindly makes. He's clearly out of his element as you can see him flip flopping more than a fish out of water. Obama spend most of his presidency trying to get the GOP to assist him., he made claims just like every Prez has and didn't produce. But in all honesty, I know IT'S ALL A SHOW to keep the masses blinded and controlled. Deihjan

*cough* same-sex marriage *cough*
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="Deihjan"][QUOTE="bnarmz"]All I know is Mitt is not the answer. He looks and acts more like a puppet then anyone else, he seems confused and talks like he has atleast five hands up his ass. He's undecided and way too criptic, he's tries way to hard to fit a false facade,plus that image he's going for is totally out dated and no longer bodes well with real people and their concerns. He's an out of touch dude and you can clearly see it in all the gaffes he so blindly makes. He's clearly out of his element as you can see him flip flopping more than a fish out of water. Obama spend most of his presidency trying to get the GOP to assist him., he made claims just like every Prez has and didn't produce. But in all honesty, I know IT'S ALL A SHOW to keep the masses blinded and controlled. cslayer211

*cough* same-sex marriage *cough*

Guantanamo Bay. Cut the Deficits in half. Unemployment wouldn't go over 8%
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

i don't know. i wanna say that obama will win hands down, because romney is such a horrible candidate, but obama hasn't really proved himself either--and that might be enough to deter some people from voting democrat and instead go the third-party route, which will just benefit the republicans

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

Running against Romney I'm pretty sure it is safe for anyone to think Obama will win. Lesser of two evils.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
Please remember that Obama IS Rmoney. They are the same. Please try to grasp this. Neither man will address economy. Both men will continue wars and inflation. They are both puppets of the same Wall Street handlers. The rhetoric and promises are irrelevant. It's an illusion of choice.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
You can get a pretty good idea about who's gonna win based on each candidates campaign funding and who's funding them. I'd say it's anyone's game http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/campaign-finance