Do you tip at resturants? How much you pay?

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

I like to, but many times I'm unable to.

Well?

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

I just do it at restaurants with waitresses. I leave like $3-$5 at one.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

Since I don't go to fancy restaurants, it's up to a euro, but mostly from 50 cents to a euro range, in pizza joints, cafes and the like. But since inflation is rocketing, I find myself less and less leaving tips.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

I was raised by a single mother who often worked as a waitress. I know what they deal with and how hard they work. Went out for tacos and beers at Buffalo Wild Wings a couple weeks ago. I left a $15 tip on a $65 bill. Our waitress was new to the place and didn't know the beer menu yet so we had to point everything out to her. She was cool though and able to laugh at herself.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Depends on the service, ofc.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

I usually tip 20% unless service is bad

Here, where people make tips the restaurant can pay under minimum wage to the employee and expect them to make it up on tips, and scummy owners don't pay the difference on the wage if they don't get enough tips even though the law mandates it.

Same. I'm in the US, so the tips have to subsidize the lack of pay, unfortunately. I start at 20% for wait service and/or delivery and $1-$3 for carryout.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Tipping is not that big of a deal here. 1-2 euros is usually the amount we tip at restaurants.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

No. They are already getting paid to do a job. If they aren't getting enough, get another job.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

If it’s decent service or better I do tip well. Usually 40% to 50% of the bill. I don’t usually go out to restaurants much anymore,but I’d still tip the same if I did.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

I saw so many of my friends working in the food industry as we were growing up, so I'll tip at least 20% if money's not incredibly tight. To me, if I can't afford to tip well, I shouldn't be going out to eat.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

If it's already added to the bill, I'll proceed with it. Otherwise, I don't bother.

What's the point in giving them a tip when they have a part-time or full-time salary?

I don't get a tip in my office job. Doctors, police, postal workers, retail workers and cashiers don't get tipped. Why should a restaurant get a tip? The restaurant menu prices already cover the staff's salary.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

No. They are already getting paid to do a job. If they aren't getting enough, get another job.

Exactly. Do restaurant workers ever find it degrading or insulting to be tipped? Surely some will feel like that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

Yup. I'll usually do 20% for more formal sit-down dinners, or double the tax if it's a smaller meal like a lunch or something.

Having worked in the restaurant industry, I know how hard they work. Good service deserves good tips.

I won't tip if the service is bad. If my water isn't refilled, sorry bud, not getting the full tip. I'll usually just tip whatever the tax is if the service is mediocre.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrbojangles25
@omegamaster said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Exactly. Do restaurant workers ever find it degrading or insulting to be tipped? Surely some will feel like that.

I'm guessing you folks are not from the US? No judgement; I know customs and societal norms vary from country to country.

In the US, these folks often get paid minimum wage, if even that (local and state laws might allow you to go lower). Tipping is a borderline necessity in a lot of the service industry. It allows people to make a living while working a flexible schedule, so it's a surprisingly good job for people that have a lot of demands in their life.

With that said, there are some places that have experimented with paying servers a livable wage and have a clear "no tipping" policy, and results seem promising.

I don't think it is degrading to be tipped; if anything, I think the loopholes and standards that make it OK to pay these oft-hard working people so little as far as hourly rates with no benefits might be the bigger issue.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25
@omegamaster said:

If it's already added to the bill, I'll proceed with it. Otherwise, I don't bother.

What's the point in giving them a tip when they have a part-time or full-time salary?

I don't get a tip in my office job. Doctors, police, postal workers, retail workers and cashiers don't get tipped. Why should a restaurant get a tip? The restaurant menu prices already cover the staff's salary.

There's service as a service, and service as a luxury.

When you go to a doctor, you assume they are automatically doing their best, and they are compensated well.

When you call the police for help, you assume they are automatically doing their best, and they are compensated well.

Tipping for jobs like that would have the opposite effect; it would decrease the quality of service because if suddenly a cop is like "Well, maybe I'll get there in 5 minutes, or maybe 10 minutes. you know my buddy came out there on a call last month and wasn't tipped, maybe your neighborhood is stingy" lol.

Cashiers and retail workers are not really providing a service; they're there to act as intermediaries between you and the product, exchanging goods for money, not services for money. Some of these people also get bonuses and commission as well, it should be noted, which is reward for a job well done (like tipping).

Restaurant servers are providing a luxury; they are there to bring you something, and for doing the bare minimum no one dies or get's sick. Therefore we are starting from a certain minimum, and the tip exists to incentivize better service. Given that tipping is the default in the US, it has a net positive effect because service is generally good in my experience.

TL;DR: police, doctors, etc that provide a necessary, regulated service are not tipped because there are standards that must be followed and a high bar that must be met. As a result they are compensated well (salary-wise).

Servers and the like that provide unnecessary, unregulated services don't really have a high bar, and tips are used to encourage better service. They are not compensated well as an hourly rate is concerned.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#17 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Generally its 10-20% of your bill where I am less if its a buffet. I usually start at 20% and it begins to drop with every issue.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I always leave a larger tip if I'm paying in cash because then I know the waiter/waitress can snag that money for themselves into their pockets. Tipping the restaurant itself is not really my intention, but if I pay with card, that's what I expect will happen.

With that said, restaurant staff gets payed decently where I live so there's rarely a need to tip!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56105 Posts

@ArmoredCore55 said:

I just do it at restaurants with waitresses. I leave like $3-$5 at one.

Same. I only tip waitresses cause they actually do more work than the men and that's saying something. I leave $20 whenever I tip a waitress who's really putting effort into pleasing the consumers whenever I dine in restaurants.

@mrbojangles25 said:
@omegamaster said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I'm guessing you folks are not from the US? No judgement; I know customs and societal norms vary from country to country.

In the US, these folks often get paid minimum wage, if even that (local and state laws might allow you to go lower). Tipping is a borderline necessity in a lot of the service industry. It allows people to make a living while working a flexible schedule, so it's a surprisingly good job for people that have a lot of demands in their life.

With that said, there are some places that have experimented with paying servers a livable wage and have a clear "no tipping" policy, and results seem promising.

I don't think it is degrading to be tipped; if anything, I think the loopholes and standards that make it OK to pay these oft-hard working people so little as far as hourly rates with no benefits might be the bigger issue.

Cup isn't from the U.S. It really falls down to what customs you are from but here in the U.S, were kinda taught it's nice to leave a tip for waiters/waitresses cause the pay isn't that good despite its minimum wage, they do more work than what they sign for the job. But however, Bar waiters/waitresses make way more money from the tips, and working at the bar is a high-risk reward. Help your fellow U.S citizen, help yourself.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts

funny how you say this

@davillain said:

here in the U.S, were kinda taught it's nice to leave a tip for waiters/waitresses cause the pay isn't that good despite its minimum wage, they do more work than what they sign for the job. But however, Bar waiters/waitresses make way more money from the tips, and working at the bar is a high-risk reward. Help your fellow U.S citizen, help yourself.

having just said this

@davillain said:

I only tip waitresses cause they actually do more work than the men and that's saying something. I leave $20 whenever I tip a waitress who's really putting effort into pleasing the consumers whenever I dine in restaurants.

so basically help your fellow citizen, but only if they have boobs and a vagina lol

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56105 Posts

@Macutchi: LOL I should have worded that better. I meant treating the people at restaurants with good attitude and presenting yourself means earning good tips even though the work can at times be under-pay for the job they sign for.

Edit: me and my wife haven't been to any restaurants in a long time since Covid-19 hit and we'll just go to fast-food joints at the window and call it a day. While Covid-19 is slowing down, we're still not ready to go out just yet...but getting close to going out.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#22 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Not often. It's not as common to leave tips at restaurants here in Australia. If I feel as if I've received above average hospitality though, then I will.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I always leave a decent tip. I worked in restaurants when I was younger and I know what kind of hell the food service industry treats their workers, so the least I can do is be kind in return.

Crash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Crash6
Member since 2004 • 3525 Posts

Usually 25%. Will drop to 20% if service isn't great.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#25 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@omegamaster said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Yea, tipping isn't really a thing in the UK. Don't think ever seen anyone tipped.

Closest to it, is really the delivery man just getting to keep change, but that's not charity, not worth faffing about.

To me, you're already paying for a service, and if they aren't getting paid enough, that's not our problem, nor should we be responsible for it.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

If it's a restaurant with table service then yes. I aim for 25% unless the service was bad then less or nothing if the service was terrible. It's a good idea to tip well if it's someplace you're a regular.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

In restaurants? Sure. I don't think I've been to a country where the majority of diners don't leave a tip. But there's no set amount usually, just whatever's going spare. Main difference in UK and the rest of Europe is that not leaving a tip isn't really taboo or frowned upon, unless you've gone somewhere really upmarket, where you'd definitely get looks.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

yes. if service is good 20% but have gone higher on some occasions.

my bar is pretty low. just be basic human level friendly and keep my drink full and i'm happy.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#29 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

I usually leave a dollar or two if I have cash on me. I noticed that most restaurants have tip jars though I have never left money in one.