Do you think the father should have a choice whether a women has an abortion.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

Say the women doesn't want to have the baby, but the man does. Should it ultimatly be the womens choice or should the man have a say.

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
i think the man should be able to say what he thinks to the woman, but in the end, its the womans body, and end all - her choice what she is going to do.
escapeoftheape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 escapeoftheape
Member since 2007 • 1576 Posts
we have nothing to say when it comes to their body.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I definitely think that the man should have at least a say. His opinion should be heard and considered, because after all, there wouldn't be a baby in the first place if he weren't involved. It's potentially his responsibility as well. I get tired of people saying that only the woman should have a say. Yes, it's her body and yes, she'll be the one to potentially give birth, but the father deserves a say as well.
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
He should be given a chance to debate it. But it's not a 50-50 decision, the girl's vote is a little heavier.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
It's her body, thus giving her the final decision.
observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 observer77
Member since 2009 • 1647 Posts

It's her body, it's her choice in the end of it all so no he should not have even a portion of control over someone elses body, he can share his opinion with her but she has the righ to dissagreebut not be allowed to choose for her.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I believe ultimatly the man should have a say, but he can't control it.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

It's wrong either way, but it's the man's child, too.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Only if he decides to carry it in his stomach for a while.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
I definitely think that the man should have at least a say. His opinion should be heard and considered, because after all, there wouldn't be a baby in the first place if he weren't involved. It's potentially his responsibility as well. I get tired of people saying that only the woman should have a say. Yes, it's her body and yes, she'll be the one to potentially give birth, but the father deserves a say as well.t3hrubikscube
Ethically, I do agree with you, but the problem is the difficulty of ethically enforcing that. It's just a little awkward for the man to say "I want the baby" while the woman doesn't, and somehow legally condemning the women into going through several months of pregnancy and a delivery process that she never wanted, you know? Then again, that also brings up issues of what exactly "a say" is? If we agree due to the above practicality issue that the woman's say matters more than the man's say, doesn't that means he can just veto everything the man says, giving her 100% authority?
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Yes since he may want the baby if she doesn't.

vallen1311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vallen1311
Member since 2005 • 318 Posts
i think the man should be able to say what he thinks to the woman, but in the end, its the womans body, and end all - her choice what she is going to do.nimatoad2000
This. If I ever got someone pregnant(doubtful) I would want to have the child, but if the woman wanted to have an abortion it's her choice. I'd just have to figure out where the relationship was headed after that. If there was a relationship that is.
KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts
He should be given a chance to debate it. But it's not a 50-50 decision, the girl's vote is a little heavier.Hungry_bunny
I'd say it's about a 65/35 decision. Even if that is a little abstracted.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Paladin_King
again, I ask, what is "a say?" It's empty language. Ultimately, one vote, the woman's or the father's, has to have supreme authority. Giving that to the father is just absurd, while giving that to the woman means we're right back at square one, with the man not having "a say." "A say" doesn't mean jack. Someone has to have final authority.
matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 matthayter700
Member since 2004 • 2606 Posts

Say the women doesn't want to have the baby, but the man does. Should it ultimatly be the womens choice or should the man have a say.

Mercenary848
I don't think any woman should be forced into having a baby they don't want just because the man wants it. When it's the other way around, (ie. a woman wants to keep the baby and a man not ready to be a father) it's a little more understandable, but even then the idea of a forced abortion sounds a bit extreme, especially in the context of a society where others are unpermissive to even allowing abortions...
observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 observer77

again, I ask, what is "a say?" It's empty language. Ultimately, one vote, the woman's or the father's, has to have supreme authority. Giving that to the father is just absurd, while giving that to the woman means we're right back at square one, with the man not having "a say." "A say" doesn't mean jack. Someone has to have final authority.Paladin_King

I'd say that in the end it is the women who has the final say no matter what no should have the power to control another human being.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6016f2513d412
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]I definitely think that the man should have at least a say. His opinion should be heard and considered, because after all, there wouldn't be a baby in the first place if he weren't involved. It's potentially his responsibility as well. I get tired of people saying that only the woman should have a say. Yes, it's her body and yes, she'll be the one to potentially give birth, but the father deserves a say as well.Paladin_King
Ethically, I do agree with you, but the problem is the difficulty of ethically enforcing that. It's just a little awkward for the man to say "I want the baby" while the woman doesn't, and somehow legally condemning the women into going through several months of pregnancy and a delivery process that she never wanted, you know? Then again, that also brings up issues of what exactly "a say" is? If we agree due to the above practicality issue that the woman's say matters more than the man's say, doesn't that means he can just veto everything the man says, giving her 100% authority?

Yeah, I totally agree and understand. As a female, I wouldn't want to carry a child just because the man I conceived it with wanted it. I wouldn't want to do that at all. I just wish that there were more of a way to have an equal say in the final decision, you know? It's not really possible, I know, but I still firmly believe in the man getting to have his opinion heard.
Valamil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Valamil
Member since 2006 • 298 Posts

Let's be clear - there is life from the moment of conception. This is regarded as fact by virtually everyone, scientists, religious zealots, and everyone in between. The tired old "its her body" argument is utterly ridiculous, and it is really just a method for people to fool themselves into thinking an abortion is nicer than it really is. The embryo, fetus, and baby are not, nor are they ever "her body."

Lets Think Outside the Box and contemplate the opposite. What if the woman wants to keep the baby, and the father does not? Let us then suppose that at any point during the pregnancy he decides to rid her of this part of "her body." He could use various sorts of trauma to cause a miscarriage, and would be guilty of what? I'm sure any DA worth their salt would charge first degree murder to begin with.

Having said all that, a man should have no legal say in the matter of abortion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
The man should be able to offer input into the decision, but, ultimately, it should be the woman's choice.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Sun_Tzu-

Let's be clear - there is life from the moment of conception. This is regarded as fact by virtually everyone, scientists, religious zealots, and everyone in between. The tired old "its her body" argument is utterly ridiculous, and it is really just a method for people to fool themselves into thinking an abortion is nicer than it really is. The embryo, fetus, and baby are not, nor are they ever "her body."Valamil

No one has the right to use someone's body if that someone does not consent to their body being used by another person.

observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 observer77

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

Let's be clear - there is life from the moment of conception. This is regarded as fact by virtually everyone, scientists, religious zealots, and everyone in between. The tired old "its her body" argument is utterly ridiculous, and it is really just a method for people to fool themselves into thinking an abortion is nicer than it really is. The embryo, fetus, and baby are not, nor are they ever "her body."-Sun_Tzu-

No one has the right to use someone's body if that someone does not consent to their body being used by another person.

I agree with sun_tzu.

I am wondering who this "everyone" is? I mean the law seems to be sure that it doesn't happen until the second trimester right...

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Paladin_King
[QUOTE="Paladin_King"][QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]I definitely think that the man should have at least a say. His opinion should be heard and considered, because after all, there wouldn't be a baby in the first place if he weren't involved. It's potentially his responsibility as well. I get tired of people saying that only the woman should have a say. Yes, it's her body and yes, she'll be the one to potentially give birth, but the father deserves a say as well.t3hrubikscube

Yeah, I totally agree and understand. As a female, I wouldn't want to carry a child just because the man I conceived it with wanted it. I wouldn't want to do that at all. I just wish that there were more of a way to have an equal say in the final decision, you know? It's not really possible, I know, but I still firmly believe in the man getting to have his opinion heard.

I agree with you entirely, and I'm just being fussy. Ultimately, someone has the final say, and the final say really is "100% of the say" due to its being, you know, final. Certainly we wouldn't be in this situation if all women were of your mindset (and I really do sincerely wish that that were the case). The idea of a woman being forced to carry a child under order from her husband seems very....."historical" shall we say. Btw, I've seen you posting around for ages, but up until this point, I really thought you were a man :P .
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Paladin_King
[QUOTE="observer77"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

Let's be clear - there is life from the moment of conception. This is regarded as fact by virtually everyone, scientists, religious zealots, and everyone in between. The tired old "its her body" argument is utterly ridiculous, and it is really just a method for people to fool themselves into thinking an abortion is nicer than it really is. The embryo, fetus, and baby are not, nor are they ever "her body."

I am wondering who this "everyone" is? I mean the law seems to be sure that it doesn't happen until the second trimester right...

Not just that, but there seems to be a bit of a conflation here of "life" in the general sense with specific "human life." *sigh* and so the thread predictably degenerates into yet another pro-life vs pro-choice, 100 page thread of doom. Great.
Valamil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Valamil

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

Let's be clear - there is life from the moment of conception. This is regarded as fact by virtually everyone, scientists, religious zealots, and everyone in between. The tired old "its her body" argument is utterly ridiculous, and it is really just a method for people to fool themselves into thinking an abortion is nicer than it really is. The embryo, fetus, and baby are not, nor are they ever "her body."-Sun_Tzu-

In my opinion, this is equivalent to saying that parents can abandon their children whenever they want, if they decide it is no longer their wish to care for them. They no longer give their "consent" to provide for the child's needs.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="Paladin_King"] Not just that, but there seems to be a bit of a conflation here of "life" in the general sense with specific "human life." *sigh* and so the thread predictably degenerates into yet another pro-life vs pro-choice, 100 page thread of doom. Great.

Oh well...I have no regrets. Bring on the madness.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

50% of the father's DNA.
50% of the father's involvement in the creation.
50% of the father's responsibility to raise the child if it is born.

And yet most of the time the father gets no choice in the matter.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Paladin_King
[QUOTE="Paladin_King"] Not just that, but there seems to be a bit of a conflation here of "life" in the general sense with specific "human life." *sigh* and so the thread predictably degenerates into yet another pro-life vs pro-choice, 100 page thread of doom. Great.-Sun_Tzu-
Oh well...I have no regrets. Bring on the madness.

lol. It's just a shame. I was enjoying this thread up until now. Oh well. Back to the same old ****.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
It isn't the father's body. No.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Paladin_King

50% of the father's DNA.

foxhound_fox

Again, how would this "choice" be practically applied?

I agree with you, but I just don't see how this could be enforced. One side gets the final say, and that final say, through its very nature, is 100% of the say. The problem also is that while it's 50% in all the things you listed, it certainly isn't 50% in the actual pregnancy and delivery process, which is what tips it in the woman's favour, imo, which GIVES her the final say. Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from...it's just that it's impossible.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

Let's be clear - there is life from the moment of conception. This is regarded as fact by virtually everyone, scientists, religious zealots, and everyone in between. The tired old "its her body" argument is utterly ridiculous, and it is really just a method for people to fool themselves into thinking an abortion is nicer than it really is. The embryo, fetus, and baby are not, nor are they ever "her body."Valamil

In my opinion, this is equivalent to saying that parents can abandon their children whenever they want, if they decide it is no longer their wish to care for them. They no longer give their "consent" to provide for the child's needs.

No it is not equivalent. A child doesn't physically use their mother's body. A fetus does. And if a parent finds them self to be an inadequate parent they can easily put their child up for adoption. A pregnant mother-to-be can not make that decision without being forced to take their child to term.
observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 observer77

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

well legally we tell parents it is ok to abandon their children whenever they want as long as they are ok with giving their children up. as a society we make it easier for parents to abandon their children and in most cases it is good since the aprent is sure they are not fit to be a parent.

cluelesspug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#33 cluelesspug
Member since 2007 • 3398 Posts

Not another abortion thread:roll:

The man should have a say. Although it wouldn't matter because the woman would just slap him in the face and do it anyway.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#34 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I really hope something could be worked out in this type of situation, but ultimately it's up to the woman IMO.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

She gave her consent by engaging in unprotected sex (assuming it was willingly). The embryo, fetus, baby, whatever you want to call it, has as much a right to life as you or me. It may not be a developed individual yet, but neither are newborns. Why, then, is it fully acceptable in most circles to have an abortion? Because the life (again, embryo, fetus, baby-whatever you want to call it) that is to be oppressed is voiceless. It cannot defend itself.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
i think the man should be able to say what he thinks to the woman, but in the end, its the womans body, and end all - her choice what she is going to do.nimatoad2000
this, pretty much If you're with a woman that will get an abortion when you don't want her to, you're with the wrong woman, anyway.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="thepwninator"] The embryo, fetus, baby, whatever you want to call it, has as much a right to life as you or me. It may not be a developed individual yet, but neither are newborns. Why, then, is it fully acceptable in most circles to have an abortion? Because the life (again, embryo, fetus, baby-whatever you want to call it) that is to be oppressed is voiceless. It cannot defend itself.

Unlike what a lot of pro-lifers would like to believe, even granting the personhood of the baby doesn't necessarily guarantee that it has a right to the body of which it is a part.
BDM666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BDM666
Member since 2006 • 7922 Posts
It depends on how attractive he is.
observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 observer77

I really hope something could be worked out in this type of situation, but ultimately it's up to the woman IMO.btaylor2404

yeah I think most people agree it would be nice to have a way to work it out for both but I guess all we can do is hope maybe science can come up with something maybe...but do we want that either...hmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6016f2513d412
[QUOTE="Paladin_King"]I agree with you entirely, and I'm just being fussy. Ultimately, someone has the final say, and the final say really is "100% of the say" due to its being, you know, final. Certainly we wouldn't be in this situation if all women were of your mindset (and I really do sincerely wish that that were the case). The idea of a woman being forced to carry a child under order from her husband seems very....."historical" shall we say. Btw, I've seen you posting around for ages, but up until this point, I really thought you were a man :P .

Yeah, you're right. Haha, yeah, it usually surprises people when they find out that I'm a girl. :P I guess I'm not too obvious about it.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Absolutely, It's 50% his. Last time I check a woman needs a man to have a child. There should be a consensus between both individuals. I don't agree with abortion either way, but this isn't about whether it should be legal or not, just whether the Father should have a say about his own child.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

I definitely think that the man should have at least a say. His opinion should be heard and considered, because after all, there wouldn't be a baby in the first place if he weren't involved. It's potentially his responsibility as well. I get tired of people saying that only the woman should have a say. Yes, it's her body and yes, she'll be the one to potentially give birth, but the father deserves a say as well.t3hrubikscube
Exactly.

On the other foot, if he didn't want the baby and she did, he'd have to pay child support because it takes two to tango. So the woman shouldn't always get the upper hand in these matters. Yes, men can't have babies, but that's not our fault, it's also not our fault that some women don't know how to use their own forms of contraception.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

Let's be clear - there is life from the moment of conception. This is regarded as fact by virtually everyone, scientists, religious zealots, and everyone in between. The tired old "its her body" argument is utterly ridiculous, and it is really just a method for people to fool themselves into thinking an abortion is nicer than it really is. The embryo, fetus, and baby are not, nor are they ever "her body."thepwninator

She gave her consent by engaging in unprotected sex (assuming it was willingly). The embryo, fetus, baby, whatever you want to call it, has as much a right to life as you or me. It may not be a developed individual yet, but neither are newborns. Why, then, is it fully acceptable in most circles to have an abortion? Because the life (again, embryo, fetus, baby-whatever you want to call it) that is to be oppressed is voiceless. It cannot defend itself.

How the fetus came to be is irrelevant. If the woman does not want to carry the child to term that is her decision. Even if there is a right to life, the right to make decisions about one's own body supersedes the former right.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vandalvideo
Absolutely, It's 50% his. Last time I check a woman needs a man to have a child. There should be a consensus between both individuals. ferrari2001
The bill of rights, of which our constituion is a whole deals in INDIVIDUAL liberties; rights of the individuals. the penumbra of privacy which houses abortion is an individual right. It has nothing to do with the father.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="thepwninator"] The embryo, fetus, baby, whatever you want to call it, has as much a right to life as you or me. It may not be a developed individual yet, but neither are newborns. Why, then, is it fully acceptable in most circles to have an abortion? Because the life (again, embryo, fetus, baby-whatever you want to call it) that is to be oppressed is voiceless. It cannot defend itself.

Unlike what a lot of pro-lifers would like to believe, even granting the personhood of the baby doesn't necessarily guarantee that it has a right to the body of which it is a part.

True, but there is an implicit consent by the mother through her engaging in unprotected sex (again, assuming it was willingly). If she didn't want a baby, she simply should've had her partner wear a condom.
Valamil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Valamil

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] No one has the right to use someone's body if that someone does not consent to their body being used by another person.

-Sun_Tzu-

No it is not equivalent. A child doesn't physically use their mother's body. A fetus does. And if a parent finds them self to be an inadequate parent they can easily put their child up for adoption. A pregnant mother-to-be can not make that decision without being forced to take their child to term.

It is called responsibility. If a mother has no access to baby formula, such as in sub-Saharan Africa or other pverty stricken areas, she must feed her baby by breast-feeding. That baby, the born child, is dependent on its mother's body. If she chooses not to feed it, she is guilty of a crime in our society. Your argument holds little water, again, In My Opinion. Also, my answer to the TC was, No, the man should have no choice in the abortion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Again, how would this "choice" be practically applied?

I agree with you, but I just don't see how this could be enforced. One side gets the final say, and that final say, through its very nature, is 100% of the say. The problem also is that while it's 50% in all the things you listed, it certainly isn't 50% in the actual pregnancy and delivery process, which is what tips it in the woman's favour, imo, which GIVES her the final say. Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from...it's just that it's impossible.

Paladin_King

There is a lot of hypocrisy with this issue. The father is forced to bend to the mother's will and go along with whatever she decides and is forced to accept whichever her decision is. She aborts, he doesn't have to care anymore. She doesn't, he's paying child support for 18 years. Yet when it comes to her wanting to abort and he wanting to keep, he has absolutely no say whatsoever, despite it being 50% of him and 50% of his responsibility.

And I don't understand why this thread is turning into a debate over the acceptability and legality of abortion. The issue presented in the OP has nothing to do with that.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="thepwninator"] True, but there is an implicit consent by the mother through her engaging in unprotected sex (again, assuming it was willingly). If she didn't want a baby, she simply should've had her partner wear a condom.

Hah, way to play it safe with the contraception argument. The argument I was going to use before you said that actually does lead to the conclusion that the absence of contraception is basically a waver of those rights. However, while using contraception the individual is saying; I do not want this.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]Absolutely, It's 50% his. Last time I check a woman needs a man to have a child. There should be a consensus between both individuals. Vandalvideo
The bill of rights, of which our constituion is a whole deals in INDIVIDUAL liberties; rights of the individuals. the penumbra of privacy which houses abortion is an individual right. It has nothing to do with the father.

Your right, it has nothing to do with the mother either. Because I believe the child should have rights considering it is indeed human and an individual. (You may disagree but I'm not going to change your mind and your not going to chance mine.)
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts

50% of the father's DNA.

foxhound_fox

Not sure if I agree with the second row there. The "sperm donor" only experiences a few hours of "discomfort"... tops. While the woman experiences 9 months of it... minimum.

But I hear ya on the third line (which is probably the most important one). It doesn't sound perfectly fair, but at least the guy doesn't have to worry about the girl running away after 5-8 months, leaving him with the baby that hasn't been born yet...