Do you think the father should have a choice whether a women has an abortion.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 observer77
Member since 2009 • 1647 Posts

[QUOTE="thepwninator"] True, but there is an implicit consent by the mother through her engaging in unprotected sex (again, assuming it was willingly). If she didn't want a baby, she simply should've had her partner wear a condom.Vandalvideo
Hah, way to play it safe with the contraception argument. The argument I was going to use before you said that actually does lead to the conclusion that the absence of contraception is basically a waver of those rights. However, while using contraception the individual is saying; I do not want this.

but most preganacies are accidents anyway because of (human error I know but still) contraception not performing correctly because of human error so does that mean she waved her rights because she made a mistake using her contraception?

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#52 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"] Your right, it has nothing to do with the mother either. Because I believe the child should have rights considering it is indeed human and an individual. (You may disagree but I'm not going to change your mind and your not going to chance mine.)

Even if you can establish personhood, which fetuses don't have in law, that doesn't mean the fetus has a right to the mother's body.
-Misanthropic-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 -Misanthropic-
Member since 2009 • 3603 Posts

I would like to be able to say the father would have an equal say, but he dosn't.There is no way to logically work this out or integrate it, as someone else in the thread has already said.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

[QUOTE="thepwninator"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] No one has the right to use someone's body if that someone does not consent to their body being used by another person.

-Sun_Tzu-

She gave her consent by engaging in unprotected sex (assuming it was willingly). The embryo, fetus, baby, whatever you want to call it, has as much a right to life as you or me. It may not be a developed individual yet, but neither are newborns. Why, then, is it fully acceptable in most circles to have an abortion? Because the life (again, embryo, fetus, baby-whatever you want to call it) that is to be oppressed is voiceless. It cannot defend itself.

How the fetus came to be is irrelevant. If the woman does not want to carry the child to term that is her decision. Even if there is a right to life, the right to make decisions about one's own body supersedes the former right.

The right to one's own body may indeed supersede the right that others have to life, BUT that right is forsaken when she engages in unprotected intercourse. She gives the right to part of her body to the sperm cells produced by the man, and those sperm cells fertilize eggs (assuming it ends in a pregnancy). In doing so, she temporarily forsakes her previously unchallenged right to that portion of her body. By choosing an action that potentially creates new life, she implicitly is giving that new life the right to feed off of her.

If you have a dog that you refuse to spay simply because you don't want to have it spayed, and then it has pups, is it right to simply gas the young that you allowed to come into existence through negligence?

peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts

If the man doesn't get a say in whether the baby lives or dies, then he should have the choice as to whether he wants to pay child support or not.

If she has a choice whether or not to become a mother, why shouldn't he have a choice whether or not to become a father.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

It is called responsibility. Valamil
Responsibility does not supersede individual liberty. It might not be responsible, or moral for that matter, for someone to buy an assortment of guns and leave them someplace where a child has easy access to said guns, but the person who purchased said guns still has the right to purchase firearms. The same is true vis-a-vis abortion. The woman may be careless and irresponsible, but they still have the liberty to determine what goes on with their own body.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Vandalvideo
but most preganacies are accidents anyway because of (human error I know but still) contraception not performing correctly because of human error so does that mean she waved her rights because she made a mistake using her contraception?observer77
Contraception represents an intent to excerise the will to keep it out of the body. The breaking of that contraception in and of itself does not void that will. However, the absence of contraception is a waver of such right.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
No one should have a choice to end life, whether it be a man or a woman.
observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 observer77

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"] Your right, it has nothing to do with the mother either. Because I believe the child should have rights considering it is indeed human and an individual. (You may disagree but I'm not going to change your mind and your not going to chance mine.)Vandalvideo
Even if you can establish personhood, which fetuses don't have in law, that doesn't mean the fetus has a right to the mother's body.

I agree even if we all agreed to fetus was a person then we would be still advotcating that a human have control of another human right?

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
he can supply his imput, but he has no right to say what the girl can do. He's not the one carrying it for nine months. Men should never be allowed to force a woman to carry and birth a child.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Not sure if I agree with the second row there. The "sperm donor" only experiences a few hours of "discomfort"... tops. While the woman experiences 9 months of it... minimum.

But I hear ya on the third line (which is probably the most important one). It doesn't sound perfectly fair, but at least the guy doesn't have to worry about the girl running away after 5-8 months, leaving him with the baby that hasn't been born yet...

Hungry_bunny

Regardless, the act of sex itself is 50/50 on both sides. Both partners have equal responsibility about being safe and protecting themselves and equal contributions to the creation of the child. As for the pregnancy, ask many mothers and they will tell you that all the pain was worth it to bring a life into the world. I personally would like to be able to experience that side of the fence... but am stuck on the male side unfortunately. Though, there are merits to being there for the woman while she is pregnant.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
Both parties have a say in this. But I probably won't stick with this policy if I ever become pregnant unwanted. :lol: :|
observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 observer77

[QUOTE="observer77"]but most preganacies are accidents anyway because of (human error I know but still) contraception not performing correctly because of human error so does that mean she waved her rights because she made a mistake using her contraception?Vandalvideo
Contraception represents an intent to excerise the will to keep it out of the body. The breaking of that contraception in and of itself does not void that will. However, the absence of contraception is a waver of such right.

hmmm well then the question of how do you know which couples have not used at all while athers had a mistake happen while using contraception? we can't so how do we prove who has wavered that right, we can't. IMO

Cactus_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Cactus_Matt
Member since 2008 • 8604 Posts

If she loves him and respects his opinion, but ultimately it is the woman's decision.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="thepwninator"] She gave her consent by engaging in unprotected sex (assuming it was willingly). The embryo, fetus, baby, whatever you want to call it, has as much a right to life as you or me. It may not be a developed individual yet, but neither are newborns. Why, then, is it fully acceptable in most circles to have an abortion? Because the life (again, embryo, fetus, baby-whatever you want to call it) that is to be oppressed is voiceless. It cannot defend itself.thepwninator

How the fetus came to be is irrelevant. If the woman does not want to carry the child to term that is her decision. Even if there is a right to life, the right to make decisions about one's own body supersedes the former right.

The right to one's own body may indeed supersede the right that others have to life, BUT that right is forsaken when she engages in unprotected intercourse. She gives the right to part of her body to the sperm cells produced by the man, and those sperm cells fertilize eggs (assuming it ends in a pregnancy). In doing so, she temporarily forsakes her previously unchallenged right to that portion of her body. By choosing an action that potentially creates new life, she implicitly is giving that new life the right to feed off of her.

If you have a dog that you refuse to spay simply because you don't want to have it spayed, and then it has pups, is it right to simply gas the young that you allowed to come into existence through negligence?

Even if she were to originally give indirect consent to a child to use her own body, that does not mean that the woman is unable to change her mind. You may originally invite someone to your home, but that does not mean you are forced to allow for that person to stay until they see it fit for them to leave.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Vandalvideo
hmmm well then the question of how do you know which couples have not used at all while athers had a mistake happen while using contraception? we can't so how do we prove who has wavered that right, we can't. IMOobserver77
That is why, from a logistical perspective, the law just deals in viability. From a strictly legal point of view if we were to ignore logistics, this would be the most equitable remedy.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 thepwninator
[QUOTE="thepwninator"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] How the fetus came to be is irrelevant. If the woman does not want to carry the child to term that is her decision. Even if there is a right to life, the right to make decisions about one's own body supersedes the former right.-Sun_Tzu-

Even if she were to originally give indirect consent to a child to use her own body, that does not mean that the woman is unable to change her mind. You may originally invite someone to your home, but that does not mean you are forced to allow for that person to stay until they see it fit for them to leave.

If you can easily make yourself fully aware of everything that the individual you invite into your home is going to do and let him in prior to doing so, forcing him/her out is little more than toying with him. Should we knowingly toy with the lives of others?
observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 observer77

If she loves him and respects his opinion, but ultimately it is the woman's decision.

Cactus_Matt

yeah you would think that people would discuss things like this before ever having sex to make things easier at least I know that's what I did and me and my partner know what we would do if we got pregnant and we know that we share the same feelings towards things communication between people in relationships is going down hill I think.

Valamil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Valamil
Member since 2006 • 298 Posts

[QUOTE="Valamil"]It is called responsibility. -Sun_Tzu-

Responsibility does not supersede individual liberty. It might not be responsible, or moral for that matter, for someone to buy an assortment of guns and leave them someplace where a child has easy access to said guns, but the person who purchased said guns still has the right to purchase firearms. The same is true vis-a-vis abortion. The woman may be careless and irresponsible, but they still have the liberty to determine what goes on with their own body.

I fail to understand why you keep referring to the unborn as "her body."

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
If we won't outlaw it (which I prefer), then we should at least give the father a say in whether the child is killed or not.
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

[QUOTE="Paladin_King"]Again, how would this "choice" be practically applied?

I agree with you, but I just don't see how this could be enforced. One side gets the final say, and that final say, through its very nature, is 100% of the say. The problem also is that while it's 50% in all the things you listed, it certainly isn't 50% in the actual pregnancy and delivery process, which is what tips it in the woman's favour, imo, which GIVES her the final say. Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from...it's just that it's impossible.

foxhound_fox

There is a lot of hypocrisy with this issue. The father is forced to bend to the mother's will and go along with whatever she decides and is forced to accept whichever her decision is. She aborts, he doesn't have to care anymore. She doesn't, he's paying child support for 18 years. Yet when it comes to her wanting to abort and he wanting to keep, he has absolutely no say whatsoever, despite it being 50% of him and 50% of his responsibility.

And I don't understand why this thread is turning into a debate over the acceptability and legality of abortion. The issue presented in the OP has nothing to do with that.

It was kind of inevitable with this kind of touhy subject:P .

observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 observer77

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="Valamil"]It is called responsibility. Valamil

biologically the "unborn" is part of her body.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 thepwninator

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

I agree with you, but I just don't see how this could be enforced. One side gets the final say, and that final say, through its very nature, is 100% of the say. The problem also is that while it's 50% in all the things you listed, it certainly isn't 50% in the actual pregnancy and delivery process, which is what tips it in the woman's favour, imo, which GIVES her the final say. Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from...it's just that it's impossible.

Mercenary848

There is a lot of hypocrisy with this issue. The father is forced to bend to the mother's will and go along with whatever she decides and is forced to accept whichever her decision is. She aborts, he doesn't have to care anymore. She doesn't, he's paying child support for 18 years. Yet when it comes to her wanting to abort and he wanting to keep, he has absolutely no say whatsoever, despite it being 50% of him and 50% of his responsibility.

And I don't understand why this thread is turning into a debate over the acceptability and legality of abortion. The issue presented in the OP has nothing to do with that.

It was kind of inevitable with this kind of touhy subject:P .

I apologize for my contribution to its slide down this slippery slope :P

Valamil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Valamil

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Responsibility does not supersede individual liberty. It might not be responsible, or moral for that matter, for someone to buy an assortment of guns and leave them someplace where a child has easy access to said guns, but the person who purchased said guns still has the right to purchase firearms. The same is true vis-a-vis abortion. The woman may be careless and irresponsible, but they still have the liberty to determine what goes on with their own body.

observer77

That is incorrect. In some cases a woman's body will treat the unborn as a parasite and attempt to remove it.

observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 observer77

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Mercenary848

I don't see everyone talkign in those terms some of us are tryingto simply think of ways to make it more of a reasonable for the father to have a say. no luck though :(

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 foxhound_fox

It was kind of inevitable with this kind of touhy subject:P .Mercenary848

Still, the topic wasn't about that part of abortion, but the responsibility and choice that comes with being the mother and father. I have yet to state my stance on the issue and see no need to. The argument is about whether or not it should be up to the father as well, not whether or not its right.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#77 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="observer77"]

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

Valamil

That is incorrect. In some cases a woman's body will treat the unborn as a parasite and attempt to remove it.

That does not mean it is not a part of her body. In persons who have Type I Diabetes, the immune system attacks and kills roughly 80-90% of the body's beta-cells (which are responsible for the manufacturing of insulin). Does this mean these beta-cells are not part of the body? Of course not.

observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 observer77

[QUOTE="observer77"]

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

Valamil

exactly "in some cases"( which is rare) but in the majority it is not seen as a parasite but apart of the womens body therefore not wrong.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Heck no! Men aren't real people and they should have no say in the well-being of a child that half of their genetic make-up is in! Yeesh, if the man isn't carrying the child himself, then he has no authority over it because it isn't in his body. /sarcasm The dad is just as responsible for the child's well-being and stature as much as the mom. Idk about everyone else, but if I were to be the father of a child, I would want to be able to raise him/her and see them grow.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="Valamil"]It is called responsibility. Valamil

I don't refer to the unborn as "her body". I am talking about the general concept of having the liberty to make decisions vis-a-vis one's own body.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
It honestly wouldn't matter, sure he should have a say but if the woman doesn't want the child then she will have an abortion no matter what her partner says. I doubt any woman would change their mind and give birth just because their partners says that's what he wants.
Valamil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Valamil

This is like a broken record but I don't mind playing it. I am not arguing For or Against abortion. It is legal in the USA and as far as I know, most countries. I accept that and do not believe that we should waste time (politically) trying to reverse Roe v. Wade. I am only saying that people should see things logically, for what they are, and without emotion.

Arguing that it is okay because it is a woman's body is simply illogical. They unborn is Not her body.

Arguing that it is okay because the unborn relies on the mother without her consent is illogical, as I stated with the breast-feeding analogy.

Abortion is okay because we made it legal. Some studies have shown that it has quite possibly been beneficial, which I will not argue with. All I am saying is, don't confuse yourself.

observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 observer77

[QUOTE="Mercenary848"]It was kind of inevitable with this kind of touhy subject:P .foxhound_fox

Still, the topic wasn't about that part of abortion, but the responsibility and choice that comes with being the mother and father. I have yet to state my stance on the issue and see no need to. The argument is about whether or not it should be up to the father as well, not whether or not its right.

yeah I wish science would come up with some kind of outside women wombs of sort to hold the conceived child so neither had a 100% say and they could be on a more even playing feild as to who wants or will keep the child. if only...

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="thepwninator"] Should we knowingly toy with the lives of others?

That's a straw man. Toying with others has nothing to do with the authority to make decisions about one's own body, or to keep to the metaphor, one's own home.
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts

Regardless, the act of sex itself is 50/50 on both sides. Both partners have equal responsibility about being safe and protecting themselves and equal contributions to the creation of the child. As for the pregnancy, ask many mothers and they will tell you that all the pain was worth it to bring a life into the world. I personally would like to be able to experience that side of the fence... but am stuck on the male side unfortunately. Though, there are merits to being there for the woman while she is pregnant.

foxhound_fox

I've heard that too, many times. But I wonder if a girl who doesn't want her child would feel the same. I personally wouldn't want to get forced into it (especially not as a guy >.>).

But as I said earlier, a girl shouldn't completely ignore the guy before making this decision. My opinion is that they should always try to make it a unanimous decision. But if that attempt doesn't work... then I'd rather let the girl have the last say than make them toss a coin.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 thepwninator

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="Mercenary848"]It was kind of inevitable with this kind of touhy subject:P .observer77

yeah I wish science would come up with some kind of outside women wombs of sort to old the conceived child so neither had a 100% say and they could be on a more even playing feild as to who wants or will keep the child. if only...

That would indeed be great. It would permanently put this debate to rest :)

Valamil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Valamil

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

[QUOTE="observer77"]

observer77

exactly "in some cases"( which is rare) but in the majority it is not seen as a parasite but apart of the womens body therefore not wrong.

Okay you guys have all the answers! NOT! Ha ha. Irrefutably, the unborn does not share the same DNA as its mother. Therefore, it is NOT part of her body. The end! :D

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 thepwninator

[QUOTE="thepwninator"] Should we knowingly toy with the lives of others?-Sun_Tzu-
That's a straw man. Toying with others has nothing to do with the authority to make decisions about one's own body, or to keep to the metaphor, one's own home.

It is still another individual, albeit a relatively undeveloped one. It is not "her body"; it doesn't even fully share the same DNA.

And I thought we were talking about the rights of the owner over the visitor, not the home itself?

TheProtecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 TheProtecter
Member since 2009 • 715 Posts

No, it's her choice, and no one else's.

observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 observer77

[QUOTE="observer77"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

thepwninator

yeah I wish science would come up with some kind of outside women wombs of sort to old the conceived child so neither had a 100% say and they could be on a more even playing feild as to who wants or will keep the child. if only...

That would indeed be great. It would permanently put this debate to rest :)

yeah there would be no need for abortions and the fight would be over!!! yey no more silly arguements that separates everyone...but we would never be allowed to experiement with it because when it came to doing it to human fetus people would get into the way and then it would fail...I can already imagine the fights after that...

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#91 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="observer77"]

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

Valamil

Okay you guys have all the answers! NOT! Ha ha. Irrefutably, the unborn does not share the same DNA as its mother. Therefore, it is NOT part of her body. The end! :D

So, are somatic cells with DNA that mutated from the original DNA during DNA replication not part of the mother's body?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 -Sun_Tzu-

Abortion is okay because we made it legal. Some studies have shown that it has quite possibly been beneficial, which I will not argue with. All I am saying is, don't confuse yourself.

Valamil

Abortion isn't arbitrarily legal. The reason it is legal is for the reasons I have already stated. Every person has the liberty to decide what goes on with their own body, and if they choose to abort a fetus that is their own prerogative, and no one else's.

observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 observer77

[QUOTE="observer77"]

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

Valamil

your right the child isa parasite and should therefore be rid of to save the mother form it.:lol:

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 thepwninator

[QUOTE="Valamil"]

[QUOTE="observer77"]

chessmaster1989

So, are somatic cells with DNA that mutated from the original DNA during DNA replication not part of the mother's body?

The DNA still came from the mother's body. In the case of an embryo, not all of the DNA did.
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#95 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
[QUOTE="thepwninator"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="thepwninator"] Should we knowingly toy with the lives of others?

It is still another individual, albeit a relatively undeveloped one. It is not "her body"; it doesn't even fully share the same DNA.

While I'm rooting for life too, it all boils down to perspective. Heck, I could easily argue that children should be able to be terminated in the first one or two years after birth because they are not fully developed yet (memory is still shady, can't talk fully, etc.). Also, how is someone supposed to know if they can handle a child or not until after the child is born? This way, the parents can take the child for a "test drive" for one or two years then decide if they want to keep it, or abort it, because the convenience of the parents' is a higher priority than the potentiality of an underdeveloped child, am I right?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 foxhound_fox

yeah I wish science would come up with some kind of outside women wombs of sort to hold the conceived child so neither had a 100% say and they could be on a more even playing feild as to who wants or will keep the child. if only...observer77

Given the advancements in medical technology, I doubt it won't be long before we are raising embryos to birth age in artificial uterine environments. We already are capable of sustaining very pre-maturely born infants as well as artificial insemination and early-stage development before uterine implantation.

It would be nice to finally end the debate. I would make a comment about the futility of the pro-choice argument but that would be expressing my stance, which I choose not to do in a thread about choice, not whether or not the choice is right.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="thepwninator"] Should we knowingly toy with the lives of others?thepwninator

And I thought we were talking about the rights of the owner over the visitor, not the home itself?

I never said that the fetus is a part of a pregnant woman's body. But it does use the woman's body for food and shelter, the same way that a visitor would use the owner's home for food and shelter. And if the woman or home owner decides to have that visitor leave, I feel as if the woman or home owner should have the right to carry out that decision.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 thepwninator

[QUOTE="observer77"]yeah I wish science would come up with some kind of outside women wombs of sort to hold the conceived child so neither had a 100% say and they could be on a more even playing feild as to who wants or will keep the child. if only...foxhound_fox

Given the advancements in medical technology, I doubt it won't be long before we are raising embryos to birth age in artificial uterine environments. We already are capable of sustaining very pre-maturely born infants as well as artificial insemination and early-stage development before uterine implantation.

It would be nice to finally end the debate. I would make a comment about the futility of the pro-choice argument but that would be expressing my stance, which I choose not to do in a thread about choice, not whether or not the choice is right.

It would also make it relatively easy to create a massive clone-based army.

Not that I have any interest in that

>_>

observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 observer77

[QUOTE="observer77"]yeah I wish science would come up with some kind of outside women wombs of sort to hold the conceived child so neither had a 100% say and they could be on a more even playing feild as to who wants or will keep the child. if only...foxhound_fox

yeah but like I said earlier it would still lead into some dibate about if it was right to have children in sacks, and that it is not natural and is therefore wrong and it would fail...IMO but if only right.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 thepwninator
[QUOTE="thepwninator"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] That's a straw man. Toying with others has nothing to do with the authority to make decisions about one's own body, or to keep to the metaphor, one's own home. -Sun_Tzu-

I never said that the fetus is a part of a pregnant woman's body. But it does use the woman's body for food and shelter, the same way that a visitor would use the owner's home for food and shelter. And if the woman or home owner decides to have that visitor leave, I feel as if the woman should have the right to carry out that decision.

However, that does not address my assertion that it is merely toying with the individual if you can make yourself fully aware of what he/she is going to do within your home, let him/her in, then arbitrarily force him/her out onto the streets with no shelter, no food, no water, etc.